What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Tholian Invasion Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    basilisk1979basilisk1979 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The easy single player missions in the cave and on the surface are to much focussed on grinding for my taste.
    I enjoyed the puzzles and riddles in the bajoran/ dominion episode spacewalking over ds9. But realy nice graphics and the twist with the extremely toxic environment is somwhat trilling.

encountered some isues

- Tholians react somewhat unpredictable. Sometimes they shoot on sight and sometimes you can walk just in front of them without reaction.

- The Questgivers menues on the surface and in the cave are reacting oddly. I turned in more than 1 resolved mission and was redirected to the mainmenue where the missions are listed. ( completed and available ) clicking on any other mission leads to leave the interaction with the questgiver.

- encountered some missing dialogue in the cave. incacerated mirrorunivere officer tryed to tell me something about the second fire function of a prototype polaron rifle but there was only [lie1] [...2] instead of text.

- Tholians seem to have no animation when attacked with the Ophidian Cane.

so far
    ceap up the good work
    The Basilisk
  • Options
    ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Closing doors working again!
    izNBNFT.jpg
  • Options
    darkenzeddarkenzed Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Way too much lag made it almost unplayable.

Does not really explain too much so you feel like you are running around at random and cannot use the map to find objectives because it is not that clear as to where things are.
    Really big gap in difficulty from the easy/medium missions which are just about right and the hard missions which a bordering on the ridiculous...

Big thing for me is it wasn't really all that fun apart from one of the silly hard missions where the Tholians use a web ability to drag you to them.

I can see this ending up like the borg incursion where it is fun for the first few times, but not worth doing after that . Not enough good rewards are available for the effort involved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice Admiral Five: Federation Patrol Alliance (Personal Alt Fleet).
    Captain Shakira: Ferasan Shadow Force.
  • Options
    clamyfishstickclamyfishstick Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I fell off the cliff onto a pile of crystals, and got stuck. I couldn't "/stuck" and switching instance, beaming out and the like were blocked to to Tholians getting random shots on me. not really a bug... but I would suggest altering how the crystals near over-path cliffs work.

Also, worth a mention, the Tholians super-speed climb all the crystals... which can cause... issues... with some players.

and like it's been said before, lots of grammar issues... and the re-spawn times are too close together.
  • Options
    polonious1polonious1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have gone to the Nakura system, been delivered to the large group of ships just sitting there, and there is no pop-up menu with options so you can engage the new mission. Please tell me.

Do you have to be Level 50+ to play the new mission that gets you the Purple level Breen player?

If no, then, where do I find the mission acquisition area?

I have not seen a definite answer for these questions. Forgive me if I missed them.

Thanks!

LC. Bamm-Bamm :)
  • Options
    polonious1polonious1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Found this in another Forum I did not see before...

"General:
    The Tholians are coming.
    Level 50 players can find their Invasion in the Nukara system in the Eti Eridani sector block. "

I take responsibility for not finding this first.
    However, any requisites could have been reiterated at the come-one, come-all join-us msg.

Thank you for making more content for us players and providing us with a wonderful game.

LC. Bamm-Bamm
  • Options
    bbaetensbbaetens Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ok the environmental suits make em so you can equip em wen in combat ?! just for the dumb guys like me, forgot to put one on and went to the battlegrounds, needless to say i had to close down the game to get back to the save point and to put on my suit.!

i know i know, i had to equip it before i went out the safe zone but still if the darn thing was equipping in combat i would not have to zone out and back in to put it on.

the rest of the ground map seems solid in my eye's, after a long away time from sto i was surprisingly impressed with the work done sins my away time. keep it up, you renewed my faith in this game. and will probably be playing some more from now on.
  • Options
    gyhoulgyhoul Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The Tholian missions so far are fun. I like how it encourages team work just like an stf, however, it can be hard to assemble a team. There is a problem with the mission closing doors that there are no phase stabilizers that we can shut down. As for other changes, the new additions to the HUD are quite nice in my opinion.
  • Options
    handshawhandshaw Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    CAN'T GET RID OF THOLIAN PHASE STABILIZER SHUT DOWN CODES and they are filling up my inventory...can't discard then, mail them, sell them NOTHING...
    It will soon shut down my playing entirely since refusing the drops is too much trouble and leaves un-picked-up drops everywhere...

Everything else is working pretty well now that my Engineering 'tools' work again and I've picked up 2 of the 3 purple set and a couple of purple EV suits as well and a couple of weapons.
  • Options
    goodoleboy01goodoleboy01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I played through a couple of the missions today and really enjoyed it. I'm generally not a fan of ground missions and enjoy "blowing people from the stars" much more but this was nice. I had some lag and had to try to get into the planet from sector space a few times, but the missions were challenging yet fun enough to keep me occupied. I like that you can grind fleetmarks and cool anti-tholian gear. Just PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T PUT LIMITS ON WHEN THIS IS AVAILABLE!!! Making missions available once or twice a day makes them all but inaccessible to those of us with jobs who are unable to be on from 2-3pm Eastern Zimbabwe time every day. I would like and encourage daily "events" where you can get more exp/fleetmarks/whatever while running during that time period, but don't put a time limit on when you can run it.
  • Options
    b0ldlyg01ngb0ldlyg01ng Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I played through a couple of the missions today and really enjoyed it. I'm generally not a fan of ground missions and enjoy "blowing people from the stars" much more but this was nice. I had some lag and had to try to get into the planet from sector space a few times, but the missions were challenging yet fun enough to keep me occupied. I like that you can grind fleetmarks and cool anti-tholian gear. Just PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T PUT LIMITS ON WHEN THIS IS AVAILABLE!!! Making missions available once or twice a day makes them all but inaccessible to those of us with jobs who are unable to be on from 2-3pm Eastern Zimbabwe time every day. I would like and encourage daily "events" where you can get more exp/fleetmarks/whatever while running during that time period, but don't put a time limit on when you can run it.

From what it seems like the limit is similar to Terradome and the other missions where you're allowed to do it once in a 20 hour period. But we'll see.
  • Options
    kairam8kairam8 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    handshaw wrote: »
    CAN'T GET RID OF THOLIAN PHASE STABILIZER SHUT DOWN CODES and they are filling up my inventory...can't discard then, mail them, sell them NOTHING...
    It will soon shut down my playing entirely since refusing the drops is too much trouble and leaves un-picked-up drops everywhere...

Everything else is working pretty well now that my Engineering 'tools' work again and I've picked up 2 of the 3 purple set and a couple of purple EV suits as well and a couple of weapons.

Same issue here, if they could fix Closing Doors this would resolve itself.

The medium-level quests can be done by a single player without much difficulty right now, and I kinda like it that way. The randomness of other players helping out when you get in over your head reinforces the massive co-op nature of it, unlike the hard mission, where it's team-based or you're screwed.

That said, the possible weapon and EV suit rewards are generally good to find. I do have one question, though: Why restrict it to the level 50 characters who can't use the experience we get by completing the quests?
  • Options
    sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like the missions. I like that the Tholians are patterned off the TOS/Enterprise look. So the pros:

- The graphics are great. I love the look of the planet.
    - I like the new EV suits, they look cool.
    - The non-grind missions are fun, and they have a good progression to tell the story of the Tholian invasion.
    - The Tholian attacks feel like something the Tholians would do: shooting spider-web-like strings of energy and acid.

Cons:
    - The ground missions are all pretty laggy.
    - The pick up rates for weapons from the Tholian Requisition packs should be increased. I've opened at least 15 since the patch yesterday, which supposedly fixed the problem of not dropping weapons. However, so far I have just ended up with 15+ EV suits most of them duplicates. I have yet to get a weapon from any of the packs I've gotten.
    - I can't get rid of the extra codes I have for closing the portals, there needs to be a discard button for them.
    - I agree with other people who have said it is hard to get teams together. I think it would be a good idea to have something like the PvE queues for the Tholian missions. That way teams could go in with a private team or there would be an easy way for groups of less than five to get in the hard missions too.
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
  • Options
    samb17101samb17101 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My fleet mates and I played the last of the tholian missions, the hard one. One of my fleet mates had previously played this mission and was unable to complete the mission. This time, the five fleet mates including my self were able to play this mission and after two failed attempts found a strategy that worked and allowed us to beat the mission. As it stands now, I would encourage Perfect World / Cryptic to publish this mission to the main server with no changes. It is just hard enough that lvl 50 characters have to work at it, but by no means a Kobashimaru. In my opinion.

Also, I do like the direction that Cryptic has taken so far with the tholians, and the required use of the EV suite.

Having been a software tester I will file this as a 'tester' report.

Object Tested: Tholian Mission Transdimensional Tactics
    Expected Outcome: Win the scenario with a 5 person team at lvl 50
    Actual Outcome: Scenario won with a 5 person team after 2 failed attempts

Details: This test scenario was completed 5 times, 3 times were successful completions, 2 times were failed completions. After careful planing and coordination, the team was able to complete the objective 3 times. The objective required use of all team special abilities and all team support abilities including the use of such support abilities as Security Team III, Support Drone III and Phaser Turret III. As it is, the mission is both achievable and difficult with out being too easy or too hard. If the desire is to release a mission that will challenge the players and provide a fun atmosphere in a new 'Star Trek' like world, this goal has been met.

Defects: Map transitions did not happen smoothly every time. Transition request dialog boxes appeared while the team was at the base camp. Attempts to go into the combat zone failed while the mission was active for various members of the team. Once transition occurred, some members were in a seporate instance of the mission than others while all on the same team. Map transitions seem to be the only defect to report so far.
  • Options
    gyhoulgyhoul Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have found the tholian missions, although fun, to be slightly repetitive. This not a big issue though. I would say, however, that the boss mission is WAY too difficult. A team of 5 VA's couldn't kill it in over 6 attempts to do so. The difficulty needs to be tweaked somehow for this mission.
  • Options
    siobhaninsiobhanin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I really enjoyed the missions. I ran into two bugs (got stuck in the cave entrance when exiting the cave instance and the kill the tolian commander mission didnt complete when it should have), but beyond that it was fun. I especially liked the two hard missions (the blow up the ship one is awesome!).
  • Options
    loikolaloikola Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like many others forgot to activate the suit and I burnt up...seriously a funny moment seeing myself burning....Liked the tholians but as was previously mentioned, the exterior missions were just button smashing.

I liked the bug for the boss when you just use the shard of possibilites and he just stands there...very easy to solo the "Hard" mission.

Didnt care for the interior at one point I had to release prisoners I think and I just stood at the console let it respawn and clicked it again. Didnt really move and let my turrets do the killing for me.

Did like that we can get different EV suits though....

All in all since its new I will give it a....
  • Options
    thedoctor0889thedoctor0889 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just did Transdimentional Tactics by myself and managed to kill the Tholian Commander, however the kill counter did not record it, resulting in the mission not finishing.

Tried doing some of the easy interior missions, Spawn rate on Tholians needs to be reduced. As soon as I would kill a Tholian Lieutenant on the interior so that I could question the mirror universe prisoners, I would be getting attacked by another Tholian Lieutenant.

And as requested before, Please let us have a Starfleet EV suit like the NPC's, it just looks better
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chengirpwechengirpwe Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I was very much of a fan of Seasons 4 and 5 ... 6 not so much. I enjoyed the Tholians, they added some additional flavor. The missions were mostly do able. The hard missions and the fleet operations (and the push in these directions) frustrates me. I'm not much of a fleet/team player ... not that I don't enjoy playing with others. I do; very much. However, arriving for a scheduled event is problematic.

1. I have a job.
    2. I have a family ... sorry gents but if the family needs somethng, they come first. I feel really bad about having to leave my team in a learch when this happens so I tend to be reluctant to start such long adventures whwer outs are depending on me. When I can clear my schedule, I generally find there are no events in my fleet.
    3. In one of the fleets I'm in I seem to be the only actve member. I am not top rank, so I'm very limited to what I can do. I can't become 'officer of th day' ... or even highest ranking officer, yet I'm reluctant to leave. Why loose all my fleet rank just to start at the bottom again of another fleet. What about al the stuff I've contributed over the years ... I just loose all that? Doesn't seem right.

That seems to give an unfair advantage to the children who have oddles of time, can text their non-working buddies to come join them and they can go to town ... leaving players like me far behind. I aways like the that some effort was made not to make solo play second-class citizens. That effort seems greatly deminished.

So ranking wise:
    Season 1/1.1: 7 out of 10
    Season 2: 7 out of 10
    Season 3: 7 out of 10
    Season 4: 8 out of 10
    Season 5: 9 out of 10
    Season 6: 6 out of 10 (pre-liminary)

General notes: Still seems a little rough around the edges. Released redshirts over your head don't always seem to fall. As mentioned by several here, Closing Doors doesn't seem to work. Graphics were excellent ... my hats off here you've done and excellent job improving these. (so 10 out of 10 on the graphics.)
  • Options
    zaaaaangzaaaaang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The Tholian missions were all entertaining. Only have 2 observations as far as things needing to be fixed. The medium rescuing redshirts mission is extremely easy. The hard mission is bugged, The Tholian didn't attack at all. Although it took a while to finish him off he was just a target. Also, the mission did not complete. When told to leave the area after defeating the Tholian I did, but it was not recognized as completion. Other than that, the missions and effects of the environment on drones, turrets and other spawnables were well thought out.
  • Options
    wisesocrateswisesocrates Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I enjoyed ground missions...I like that Star Trek has a mix of both ground and space adventures...lots of future game options and ideas can be developed for both.

I am running into a HUGE problem. I have 100 of the Tholian encryption chips in my inventory and I can't figure out how to get rid of them! It is really the only major negative I have. Please fix this problem soonest or tell me how to do it myself. I would much rather have the empty slot for other treasure and reward.

I like the ability to assist others on the medium and hard missions. It adds a nice touch to the game and the whole teamwork aspect. The specific tasks to complete in each mission could be better explained (i.e. Use the encrytion chips to destabalize phase windows in the northwest corridor of the grid, or something more specific.).

The rewards are nice and I do like the general feel for the game. Color for the various crew mission areas is a very nice aesthetic touch.

I like the Fleet set-up very much. I see a lot of potential for many new and interesting missions, games and fleet-level opertaions.

Overall graphics are wonderful. I like that even my old graphics card can still handle them. Thank you for not going bonkers on the High-Res so that lesser PCs can handle the game. It allows me to spend money on the game and not on real-world hardware to play the game. ;):)

Fantastic job on the Tholians! It almost feels like we jumped into "Starship Troopers" for a bit. (This said, please do not incorprate big bugs, brain suckers, venomous critters or space-faring, stone-throwing maggots into the Tholian Empire.)

Overall, I think this is going to a fun addition to the game and I look forward to its future iterations and developments.
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hypos don't seem to work if trying to get rid of the hold of the Trapper.
  • Options
    tamashiikaritetamashiikarite Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I personally loved the changes to the graphics in the new update. Also I love the appearance of the Tholians, you guys did really good recreating them.
  • Options
    trwarbucktrwarbuck Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Love the Tholian Invasion. But I did several of the missions and didn't receive the special duty officer or the tribble, and I played for over four hours on 7/7/2012 to 07/08/2012. Can I please get the tribble and the duty officer. Even though the two "gifts" wasn't given for the game play, I really loved the missions and the two PvE missions.
  • Options
    admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trwarbuck wrote: »
    Love the Tholian Invasion. But I did several of the missions and didn't receive the special duty officer or the tribble, and I played for over four hours on 7/7/2012 to 07/08/2012. Can I please get the tribble and the duty officer. Even though the two "gifts" wasn't given for the game play, I really loved the missions and the two PvE missions.

Rewards don't go out till the new season is live on Holodeck.
  • Options
    freeziafrostfreeziafrost Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would like to have tested, but I have no level 50 character. The announcement was clear about WHERE the mission is; it would have been nice if it would have mentioned this is for level 50 characters only. It took me a long time reading through this thread and searching other posts to find this mentioned. Not complaining, don't need any responses, just giving my feedback to the devs! :)
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,815 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't really care for the invasion style. Defera was boring and unentertaining for me so I just avoided it. Story and more direction in the Defera and Tholian invasions would help a lot.

Security Escorts burt into flames (even when in suits).
    Engineering spam (turrets, drones, cover shields, etc) also burn up on spawn.
    So many recycled maps (would have prefered something actually new).

That's all I've got as I am finding this content hard to play due to a lack of story and direction. Make it more interesting with story and prompted objectives would be nice. Then I'll be happy to play it again.
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The last bit of the hard exterior was bugged, as the landscape kept changing to get make more pools of the goopy stuff at the last level bit so suddenly you had nothing to stand on in the middle.
  • Options
    karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The whole thing in nukara system is good.

If you place something like a special hour, to give extra rewards can be really nice, but keep open to everyone play in any time, to earn fleet merits with a lots of fun with your own group.

About the rescues, I see many problems. Everytime the npc become stuck over a cristal or rock. And because this, you lost a rescue or two because this bug.

About the rewards from each mission, is really nasty. A cool EV suit sounds good, but need more options to take by reward, like rare and very rare items. About the weapons, works well, but need more types to get.

About the Boss: With a 5 persons in a team, we can't hurt him. The amount of HP is good, but he resist all weapons, making the whole battle horrible. We can use any character skill, weapons of many types, but after the shield go down, the boss keep invencible, losing only 1 or 2 points of hp in each hit.

Engineer turrets don't affect the boss, Science can't harm him and tactical is a little uselless. I see a guy using lounge and kicking the boss, making more damage in comparative a C-Store Bajoran Rifle or a Tetryon Pistol.

We miss a craft place with R&D unique recipes in the local, to make custom weapons and devices for this kind of ground battle.

And we see a lot of place we want to go up to play as sniper, but we can't because the charactar can't climb up or STO weapons have a really really reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally stupid range. We want snipers rifles to act cool in the battlecamp, choosing the better spots to hit in distance, making a good support to other people. But all weapons have similar range, and you have to stay too close to use a beam or shot a energy bullet.

As idea: Make the Flashlight useful in the battle. Is a episode item, and you can use to check if each cristal have good structure to mine or not. In the curret state, if you use a flashlight device, your AV suit fail and you be killed. In the DS9 Episodes in STO, you can use for extra help. And in the Defend the base of the sabotaurs, you can use to have a better vision in middle of the darkness.
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • Options
    seonorseonor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Played the new missions and had fun (even if it was ground combat ;-) )but I have one quick question: Is there a message when you unlock the rewards? I know the actual rewards are given out later, but it would be nice to see if I get them.