What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Tholian Invasion Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    kalel1975kalel1975 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    got caught in a loop accidently changed out of my ev suit during the mission now i just die over and over again
  • Options
    dylanpaul2005dylanpaul2005 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Tholians are cool, a great addition to the game. Please don't make this one an event and just leave it open for everyone whenever they want.

Great job, this game gets better and better... :)
  • Options
    naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The missions I've played (easy, medium and area wide) were a lot of fun.

By opening one reward box I got a Shield which is part of a new set. Any information about this? Do all three parts unlock a new visual like the STF sets do?
  • Options
    sgtreusterssgtreusters Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    These missions are great! The hard ones are fun but insane. We tried for the whole weekend and finally beat the computer core one. BRILLIANT!!!

Great Job!
    SgtReuster
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CASPIAN RISING
  • Options
    klaatuwolfklaatuwolf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Having played all the easy missions and a couple of the medium missions, I'm looking forward to beating up the tholians on holodeck.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ummm. I was basically done with this "content" when i landed. Its just the Defara TRIBBLE with Tholians. I dont ever bother with Defara.

Is there no real mission or story?

I personally dont like things like Defara and Dilith mining and hope this isnt a direction STO is taking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    naffoffpwenaffoffpwe Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Having just tried out the "Easy" level missions on this new map, I have to say if the rest of the missions there are of a similar format, you just wasted your time Cryptic, this customer wont be using that map.

We have one mission that requires me to shoot lots (30?) of Tholian ensigns, to collect a sample - was bored after half that number - the Tholians didn't even put up a fight, I was using MK6 gear on a LG character and was never once threatened by them.

Another mission to deactivate their scanners (x10?) spent most of my time trying to find one that was deactivate-able, as most of those I came across had already been deactivated / blown up.

As for the mining, that was mind numbingly boring when it rewarded dilithium and thus abandoned by any but the braindead. Making us collect 300 units on a new map, doesn't make it any less mind numbing - I didn't even bother competing it as I had a pressing engagement to watch some paint drying.

New content is good, no scratch that. New content is essential and desperately needed but it needs to be something new not the same old same old on a new background and preferably make it something that actually makes us think rather than just sit there pressing fire and "f" x30.
    The user formerly known as DogsBody.
    Here before PWE (and hopefully) here long after PWE is gone.

What this game needs is PvP, NOT PWE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    After finishing my mission I think mining dilithium is actually more fun. The only reason I even bothered finishing collecting the sci reports is because there was a doff reward involved.

Like the Defari stuff, I just wont ever bother with this on live.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, after some 15 minutes just running around and killing Tholians, I finally learned the exterior map and actually understood what I'm supposed to do in some of the missions. And I've got some feedback:

• It might be useful to mark the transporter pads in the exterior map. (I just couldn't find it after finishing the first missions, had to beam to ship and back down.)
    • It might be just my bad situational awareness or my lousy playstyle, but it seemed like there's either a lone Tholian walking around a large zone (no danger for a player), or a whole gang of 5+ jumping on a player (kind of a nuisance). Maybe they're all spawning at once and "overpopulate" one place for a moment. Note: This is happening a lot more in the interior map.
    • It also might be useful to add some "safe havens" for players to actually have a moment to think the missions through. Whenever I tried to concentrate for a moment in order to find a transporter, or just look what to do next, I got attacked by some angry folk. Sure those Tholians look great, but when you want to disengage combat, the only real possibility is to beam out. (Goes hand to hand with the transporter pads not being that easy to find.)
    • Oh, and it seems like the Tholian rifts aren't respawning, or are respawning too slowly. Most instances I visited actually had none left for players to close.

But nice place there is on Nukara Prime. A lot I'll yet have to discover.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I was dabbling a little with the Tholian event.

I was doing the spatial rift closing one in conjunction with the rescue redshirts and was assuming because I was doing it alone, that I couldn't close the rifts.

Because none of the consoles were showing an interaction icon!

Then I saw someone run up to one of the consoles and interact with it
    The penny dropped.

With so many people running around fiddling with the consoles, none of them were resetting so I could do the mission!

And then we have the researcher problem.

Starfleet personnel will only work for Starfleet and KDF officers only for KDF.
    But you can't tell who is in the cage before you release them!

So, you have the complication of people running around releasing npcs and despawning the cages as well.

And this is only a Tribble test!
    I hate to think what it will be like when everyone and their Horta is running around collecting Fleet marks for their starbase! :eek:

This needs to be changed so only people on your team can access the instance and you're not dumped on an open map with everyone running around taking your mission goals.

And since I mentioned Horta, many people have mentioned this and found it puzzling.

A Horta comes from an environment similar to this world, high temperatures, toxic gases etc.
    So you would assume that calling out a Horta pet would be possible.

But they always die! :confused:

Which is bizarre, because they are immune to environmental conditions like this!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i didnt like the fact that when teamed and doing the quest to kill 250 tholians that ea kill i made didnt count for the team, and vice verse, when teamed every thing u do should count toward the team goal, it made being on a team pointless
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I started another mission to be sure I got the reward.

It was interior so I thought I could take off my suit. Bad idea.

Now Im stuck in a dying loop. I cant re-equip the suit because I am "IN COMBAT" from atmosphere killing me and keep dying from not being able to change the suit because Im in combat..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I hope that some changes are going to be made with the loot that is in the Boxes because this is bordering on stupid.
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well looks like I need to stop testing, I literally have no room in inventory because of all the phase shut down codes. If they can't be made to be discarded yet, why not have them stack to 250 like data samples?
  • Options
    startrek7771414startrek7771414 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi. I enjoyed it immensely. The Tholians looked good and played well. Maybe less than 30 things to get would be good. Our developers did a Excellent job.

BFN, Talilur.......
    Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.......
  • Options
    raistalionraistalion Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My experience with testing the new ground missions is as follows...

First, I found the ground maps really small, there was a lot of running around the same little area to get numerous respawn interacts over and over. In this same area i was competing with 6 or 7 other people (Esp. Outside).

Im not sure of the design principle behind making the maps this small but they felt cramped and overcrowded for a ground mission. Would it not have been better to make Base Camp one instance with other instances running off it for small number or team sizes?

With the maps as small as they are the respawn rate has been made extremely high, this to me seems like a problem. More often than not I would be fighting one group of enemies when a second nearby grop would respawn and come running over as agro range seems to go through walls and intervening terrain. In the inside map where you have to release prisoner I found that some people were leaving the room partially spawned so when you would go in you might be fighting a remnant and suddenly everything killed less than a minute before would respawn.

Similar to the weird agro through walls Turrets seem to be able to fire through rocks and walls which means they are often attacking mobs you can see and bringing them over to you, if you combine that with drones who run off to attack whatever your turre is shooting at you get these situations where either 5 or 6 tholians suddenly run up to you or you round a corner and find a field of loot markers of kills that you didnt see happen.

It all just seems to small and that there is no chance to catch your breath with such short timers.

On the interior map specifically, where you need to talk to captured Mirror Personnel I would really like to see the Ensign spawns taken out from the bottom level and only the LT remain. Often I was trying to read dialog to complete the quest when the quick respawn would trigger and I would be fighting again (Also first time I clicked on a equipment case the normal text was immediately replaced by one of my crew telling me that i had read all 3 pieces of info and was to now go do stuff, when I hadn't even had a chance to review the first info entry)

This fast respawn might be great if you expect that these maps are going to see max number of players at all times running through them but during STO's more quiet hours where its less a flow of people and more a burst or dribs and drabs it seemed like the number of enemies was excessive.

I would also like to see some more information and story provided for this new series of quests. Several time I found the text suddenly declaring that I knew certain facts. Such as the Mirror Universe being on the world and that one of their ships had crashed here... niether of which I knew but seemed like I should have somehow.

How about adding some extra dialog to the Base Commander, i.e...

Tholians... What a Tholian? (For those who havent seen TOS or ENT)
    You mentioned something about Prisoners? (Explain about the mirror universe presence a litle)
    - How did they crash a ship here? (Runs off the mirror universe question

Also there needs to be a vendor added to the base camp for those who don't have an environmental suit. With the toon I was on I knew to run off to the Mining Asteroid to quickly grab one but I had no idea i needed one until I beamed down and was told then. You would think Starfleet could have informed me I would need an EVA suit before I beamed down.

On a related note... if this is a Hell World and appropriate environment for Tholians, why are they in EVA suits?

- Raith
  • Options
    wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    2 pet-peeves

1, my tactical team beams in using the new EV suit but I'm stuck using the old style one. I think it's completely lame that my away team has better looking gear than I do.

2, vanity pets are running around completely unharmed by the environment. It breaks immersion to see a mugato, or sehlat running around in a Y class planet.
  • Options
    tewaju1tewaju1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like it. Music is better and video quality seems better. I like the way the away team appears in transporter room now. Someone I know who has been playing for years says it looks better and that it was time for something new.
  • Options
    darkthorne70darkthorne70 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Okay pluses the new interface is nice its nice to see a fleet button and a pve que back up

the no win scenerio is challenging for sure... but fun colony invasion seems like it will be too
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    After playing thru a lot of it, at least for me the replay value is 0. Like dilithium mining, ill probably do it once just to have done it then never do it again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The first day with the easy Tholian missions may have been too easy, but today the Mining was a pain. I would try to mine and get ambushed by a Tholian, which was quickly followed up by a mob. I was repeatedly fighting off three to five Tholians down in the valley. The fights were entertaining, but mining was impossible. I would constantly get to 10 and be forced out by the Tholian shooting me. :confused:
  • Options
    tomoyosakagami1tomoyosakagami1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the tholagian missions are pretty fun an all, but the only mission not paying out much less saying that ive completed it is the Interior - Hard mission, i even did twice in a row, blew up the odyssey an all but the mission still wouldn't say i completed it an to report to base camp or whatever
  • Options
    theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    First impressions: pretty enjoyable so far. Don't know what the long-term replay value is, but expanding EV suit use is good for the game and so is the inclusion of another Defera-type event for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

The armoured EV suits...are they all grey? I have an orange EV suit I got from the mining base and am going to keep using that for now since orange is my favorite color...yeah, yeah, I know, it is silly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • Options
    ury1968ury1968 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    there are a few bugs to work out but over all the ground quests seem fun. The Medium level quest for the phase anomilies does not work at this time. But the other half of the edium quest works fine..... bit of a caviote dont get tooo starship toopers on the tholians or pepz are gonna rag on it as not beeing genuine star trek fair..
  • Options
    mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2012
    It's official. I'm just as disappointed with this tripe, as I was with the Defera event.
  • Options
    darklor126darklor126 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2012
    Too much grind isnt fun... - I dont like any repeat of missions - I do want new missions not the same one missions to do repeatedly...

Darklor
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

The armoured EV suits...are they all grey? I have an orange EV suit I got from the mining base and am going to keep using that for now since orange is my favorite color...yeah, yeah, I know, it is silly.

All the ones I've seen are grey, but if you 'enable' the costume on your paper doll, it makes the suit blue or green (depending on Fed or KDF).
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Overall not bad at all. B+. A- if there where no bugs.

Bugs:

1. Industrial Espionage: On return to base camp, character did super spin action on transport pad and was only able to get out of it by random movement button mashing and mouse drive (left/right mouse keys).

2. Closing Doors: Instance bugged and could not find interstitial rifts. Changed to #15 (hint from zone chat) and was able to finish.

3. Booted once from one of the missions. On logging back in had lost no progress (think it was Industrial...).

Other missions that I did (Hot Lead;Scientific Sabotage; Rescuing Reshirts; Indentured Dismissal) all worked fine.

All mission rewards worked and even got the purple Crystal Woven Environmental Suit (along with 2 green and 1 rare suit). Also received "Chipped" accolade. I guess no chance of keeping the very rare when this goes live eh?!

Music is cool, reminds me of Forbidden Planet. Flame on initial beam down awesome. Watched people beam and burn for a bit... LOL

Side Notes:

1. Ship transitions to warp are funky, ship doesn't move but my point of view did with nacelle/impulse trails drifting (90 deg to forward movement) like ship was moving. (Sol & DS9).

2. Hot Lead: Destination indicator in map way to much (orange circle). How about simply the map point and name pulsing/flashing/different color. Circle covers other systems and pretty much makes them unreadable.

3. Slow load on DS9.

Thanks devs!
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hmmm got annoyed with it after seeing people get purple after purple after purple over and over on their toon whilst after killing over 300 Tholians during my run I got a really bad blue item as my highest. I really hope you're not going to continue this one sided drop rate TRIBBLE with these missions because quite frankly, that stopped me doing STF's already...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    xcadmanxxcadmanx Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Love the Tholians on Tribble.

I enjoyed the ground missions. Well done.

Work out the bugs and lets get it on with season 6.

Spiderman has a bunch of relatives.