test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Profane?!

nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
Why is damn considered a profane word? This makes no sense.
Interestingly TRIBBLE isn't.
Post edited by nrobbiec on

Comments

• Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Click here to go to the definition, but basically its because it is an expletive.

There are some interesting words that show up in the filter, and I wish when discovered I didnt know the alternate definition of some of them.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I honestly don't see how anyone could consider damn a swear word.
  • Options
    mingtran2mingtran2 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    In CO, a new NPC called Gravitar use the word B*tch, and the target players age is about the same as STO
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Ill actually use a post from CO becase it says it pretty well.

Here

Basically, its considered a verboten word, and I dont forsee that changing in the near futire. Or at least until some time when regular over the air tv uses it on a regular basis before primetime.
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Interesting how it;s not blocked here though.

I noticed yesterday that we can say dumbass and not have it filtered here in the forums. I did remove it from the post that I used it in though
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ?Damn and blast British Telecom,? shouted Dirk, the words coming easily from force of habit?

Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently's Detective Agency

A sentiment I have often felt an affinity for..
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    So it's really only offensive if you're living in an archaic theocracy...

But damn is used regularly, it is not a post-watershed word. Neither's bi*ch, they use it in soap operas all the time. I've even heard bast*rd used at about 7pm.

Some people are just far too rigid.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    But damn is used regularly, it is not a post-watershed word. Neither's bi*ch, they use it in soap operas all the time. I've even heard bast*rd used at about 7pm.

You have Johnny Carson to thank for that. he used it once in a skit and got away with it.
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've always thought the fact we can't use damn is ridiculous. It's even OK in the forums. It was OK in TOS. But for some reason the Foundry rejects it.

I've always got around it by putting d#$%. It's pretty stupid to have to do that, but it's better than nothing.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I like that you can have someone say "oh, TRIBBLE!" and not "damn it!"

I suppose you could always put dam hahaha
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    nagorak wrote: »
    I've always thought the fact we can't use damn is ridiculous. It's even OK in the forums. It was OK in TOS. But for some reason the Foundry rejects it.

I've always got around it by putting d#$%. It's pretty stupid to have to do that, but it's better than nothing.

Yeah, I remember seeing that in your Atlas Affair missions.
  • Options
    ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Off the top of my head, Kirk, McCoy, Picard and Lilly Sloane have all said "Damn". I'm sure I could find more if I hit google, but I think that's enough to underline the point that censoring it is a little on the silly side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Also, damn was fine for TV in 1966.

Damn it Jim, I'm a...

Are you out of your damned Vulcan mind?

Damn is canon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have more fun with "Cinnamon Biscuit" and "Fudge". I swear if you want comedic substitutes for swears with the same syllabics and heavy consonants, just watch "Christmas Story" and listen to the old man.

He never swears once, yet you think he does it constantly.
  • Options
    sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Off the top of my head, Kirk, McCoy, Picard and Lilly Sloane have all said "Damn". I'm sure I could find more if I hit google, but I think that's enough to underline the point that censoring it is a little on the silly side.

But the fact that the word was used continuously in the shows and films, and is barely even considered an expletive these days by almost everyone doesn't matter, because Little Timmy might see it and repeat it to his god-bothering mother. Either that or one of said god-botherers(there IS a difference between a religious person and a god-botherer, mind) works at Cryptic and has decided that he has to act as some kind of Moral Arbiter to save our immortal souls.

Damn Damn Damn Damn Damnation Hell bugger Damn. There, my soul is tainted beyond redemption, can we write properly-Trek dialogue in the foundry now? :P

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    tosmonkeytosmonkey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    All swear words are culturally based. There are a lot of Christians who consider damnation a very serious subject and look at using the word "damn" lightly as exceedingly profane. It's all a matter of how we're raised. I imagine that since this is a F2P MMO now Cryptic is going for ultra-clean to maintain a family friendly environment. No business wants to deal with raving, torch wielding evangelists. They go straight for the groin, which in this context is PWE's wallet. Nobody can make a boycott out of a molehill better than America's religious right. Without getting mucked up in the right or wrong of it, I can certainly understand why a business like PWE would want to avoid it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I appose all forms of censorship. I told my sons that slang words are just poor grammar nothing else. They are 18 and 20 now, so I am fairly certain they use worse than damn. I believe you can use hell but this is the old double standard that hell is a place and not a "dirty word". You can tell a person to go to Hell and in fact I can give you directions to Hell, Michigan. :D
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Off the top of my head, Kirk, McCoy, Picard and Lilly Sloane have all said "Damn".

Picard also used "merde" a couple of times...guess it?s okay to use profanities on the show, as long as you keep them in a different language.
  • Options
    pfreemanpfreeman Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I appose all forms of censorship. I told my sons that slang words are just poor grammar nothing else. They are 18 and 20 now, so I am fairly certain they use worse than damn. I believe you can use hell but this is the old double standard that hell is a place and not a "dirty word". You can tell a person to go to Hell and in fact I can give you directions to Hell, Michigan. :D

And I can tell you that Hell, MI is really a nice little town, seeing as it's only a few miles away from me. Oh and yes it does freeze over on a fairly regular yearly basis.

As for Damn, I've run into this before. A lot of word censorship is just based off from location. Damn isn't a bad word in most places, but is considered one here in the states. Just like how "Pissed" here in the states isn't a bad word, but in the UK & Australia (and probably other places) it is (found that out the hard way on an Australian forum...)

Personally I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't sensor the net, that includes swear words. The forum I run has no swear word filters running, and it's fine as people don't tend to swear on it (that and the filters were picking out parts of words and changing them).

peter

PS: This is my 1st post since the forum change.... :S
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think it's bloody criminal to prevent us from using words which featured regularly in a TV show that's been aired at all times of the day, in order to placate a tiny fraction of a percentage of the population of -one- country in which the game is played. Besides which, this is Star Trek, a show about tolerance of other cultures and beliefs, a show which has named shuttlecraft after two of the religious-right's most hated public figures after Satan himself; Dawkins and Darwin, and which has dedicated entire episodes to making fun of creationists - how many evangelicals are likely to be playing the game?

Bah. Fine, if they're going to do silly stuff to placate tiny percentages of the playerbase, I, as an unreasonable and uptight anti-theist, demand that any and all religious terminology is added to the swear filter, and banned from use in the foundry! If they don't, I'll...I'll...I'll write an angry petition, you see if I don't! :P

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Sisko, and Sisko, and did I mention Sisko?
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think it's bloody criminal to prevent us from using words which featured regularly in a TV show that's been aired at all times of the day, in order to placate a tiny fraction of a percentage of the population of -one- country in which the game is played. Besides which, this is Star Trek, a show about tolerance of other cultures and beliefs, a show which has named shuttlecraft after two of the religious-right's most hated public figures after Satan himself; Dawkins and Darwin, and which has dedicated entire episodes to making fun of creationists - how many evangelicals are likely to be playing the game?

Bah. Fine, if they're going to do silly stuff to placate tiny percentages of the playerbase, I, as an unreasonable and uptight anti-theist, demand that any and all religious terminology is added to the swear filter, and banned from use in the foundry! If they don't, I'll...I'll...I'll write an angry petition, you see if I don't! :P

Darwin was ok.
    Dawkins is a lunatic. He's as bad or worse than any bible/quoran/torah thumper that i have ever seen.
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've got another odd profane word.

I think I know why,but can anyone tell me why 'diarrhea' is considered profane.
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    woghd wrote: »
    Darwin was ok.
    Dawkins is a lunatic. He's as bad or worse than any bible/quoran/torah thumper that i have ever seen.

You gain points for this and a bit more respect from me. They've gone and traded one God for another. That or... they really want to get back at the hours their parents forced them to go to church for.

Back on topic, IMO saying it's criminal for them not to let us use a word is... I think debasing for what criminality is. It's like Fox News... or CNN... or one of those main stream media outlets that totes everything as a "War on X" (with the exception of women, which... is painfully ironic).

Cryptic is making a game, and at the same time doing an IP dance with CBS. They need to play it close to the fence. This is, after all, a product and a private company. We signed a ToS recognizing that and limiting us from certain things in the foundry, including profanity. They are the ones who get to decide what is profane or not. Nothing criminal about that, and we already agreed to abide by it.

In the case of "Damn it, Jim," I wouldn't say it around a random kind old grandmother. So, I can recognize why it is on the list. As sad as it is we loose out on the iconic phrase.

@Bazag
    I don't know dude, it's just a body function but, I don't want to come across a mission that has any possibility of using these phrases: (And I'm actually going to sensor them, because writing them makes me feel durty with a "u")
    "And then I was forced to eat D***** for three months" or
    "There was a cup, and these two girls... all that D*****" and of course,
    "No thanks, Tulaberries give me explosive D******."
    There is an image that word distinctly presents. And I'm gonna stand by our publishers with this one.
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    heh - true, XR-377

However what I found was that it wasn't the word that was censored it was the first three letters of the word.

dia

The only thing that makes even remote sense was that they were censoring initialisms like DIAF.

edit: For the sake of explanation and context where I tried to use diarrhea was in Mysteries of Pon Farr as a side effect of Vulcoden. Don't blame me, blame Capt.PFDennis. In the end I just skipped that side effect all together.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This was and is a human decision. Boys let's keep God out of the conversation altogether. He didn't jot down thou can't say Sh*t in my Bible. :D The last thing we need is a troll feeding on religion.

I have not tried this yet but can you say, "Damnation!" I know I used Hell once so there you could say, "Hell fire and damnation!". I think that would convey an emotional response.

Star Trek was one TV show in the 60's who pushed the envelope with the first interracial kiss on TV. I find it a shame they get away with censorship in the game over 40 years later. But just as they found away around it, we can too.
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    A friendly reminder of my experience with the ingame bug reporting system and being told that "commandant of starfleet academy" was considered a swear word.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    What I think EVERYONE is forgetting is one little thing.

The ESRB

While (most) all of you are adults ;) The game has to maintain certain standards towards the rating system. That includes keeping the language within the prescribed limits of the ratings.

And honestly, if you cannot make a statement without an explative....well, Firefly found a way to do it...so use pidgin Chinese or just start throwing out Klingon or Romulan words
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    castsbugc wrote: »
    And honestly, if you cannot make a statement without an explative....well, Firefly found a way to do it...so use pidgin Chinese or just start throwing out Klingon or Romulan words

There's a difference between damn and scheisse
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    Working around the limitations of the platform is something we just have to do. Sometimes it's the object limit, sometimes it's the map limit or objectives that don't do what we want them to do, and sometimes it's the profanity filter. Personally I disagree with the whole notion of "bad words." I find it utterly silly that some people allow themselves to be offended by a mere collection of letters. If some people took the time they spent crusading against "obscenity" in media or profanity or whatever else and put it towards, I don't know, feeding the hungry, we'd have a lot less starving children.

Bottom line is even though you and I may not think something is profane, somebody does and Cryptic has decided to abide by that, and therefor so must we if we wish to use the Foundry. I don't see it changing.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
This discussion has been closed.