test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Problems with the new forums: A complete list.

Comments

• Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2012
    Then why don't you sticky it then?

This is the "Star Trek Online" discussion forum, and this thread is really not about STO. It's about the forums. I didn't move it to General Feedback because I'm okay with this saying in here so it's a little more visible and players can add other "problems" they are seeing.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    #?. Usage of the phrases "New Posts" and "Today's Post" (upper left near "your" avatar) is inconsistent. If both links have the same function, they should say the same thing.

#?. Breadcrumbs links at the top of the forum section say "Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online Discussion" (for example). The first breadcrumb should say "Star Trek Online Forums", since that link does not actually lead to the main STO site.
    7n4nvF5.png
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I don't see any way to send forum PMs from a thread. I have to go to my private messages section, then copy / paste the name, then send it...? Is that how I'm supposed to send a forum PM? Because that seems like an issue.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    An issue I've run into -

When you click Edit for your post and it does the in-line editing if you hit cancel it redirects you to the Invalid thread specified page.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    askray wrote: »
    An issue I've run into -

When you click Edit for your post and it does the in-line editing if you hit cancel it redirects you to the Invalid thread specified page.

Actually almost every edit action has a chance to proc a 404; it's infuriating. Even clicking 'save' on the inline edit results in "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Actually almost every edit action has a chance to proc a 404; it's infuriating. Even clicking 'save' on the inline edit results in "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

Hrm haven't run into that one yet, lucky me I guess heh.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited June 2012
    askray wrote: »
    Hrm haven't run into that one yet, lucky me I guess heh.

Yeah, apparently so. The weird thing is that the edit DOES go through, as when I go back to the thread my revised post shows up, but for some reason the 'save' and 'cancel' buttons are borked and dump you into the catchall screen instead of returning you to the thread you were editing in.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Here is something - it seems an unenumerated list doesn't show any list marks, even when nesting lists. And the enumerated list formatting seems borked.

Enumerated List with a nested element
    1. A
    2. B
    3. C
      1. C1
      2. C2

Unenumerated List with a nested Element
    • D
    • E
    • F
      • F1
      • F2

"Best" thing about it - there are two editing modes (let's call them preview and code) - one shows the lists nicely formatted, the other shows the code behind it. The preview-editing mode preview has nothing to do with how the post actually looks later.

Mustrum "My Posting Style just got nerfed" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Here is something - it seems an unenumerated list doesn't show any list marks, even when nesting lists. And the enumerated list formatting seems borked.

Enumerated List with a nested element
    1. A
    2. B
    3. C
      1. C1
      2. C2

Unenumerated List with a nested Element
    • D
    • E
    • F
      • F1
      • F2

Mustrum "My Posting Style just got nerfed" Ridcully

Hey, at least a certain well-known poster's beloved italics are still working so he can make our eyeballs bleed with his bizarre emphasizing style. :biggrin:
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is the "Star Trek Online" discussion forum, and this thread is really not about STO. It's about the forums. I didn't move it to General Feedback because I'm okay with this saying in here so it's a little more visible and players can add other "problems" they are seeing.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Awe... thank you for not moving all my hard work. ^_^

But then again, the forums are half the reason these people still play the game. That is quite relevant to STO, as is this thread. :wink:
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    lan451 wrote: »
    I believe it's standard internet slang. I've seen the term "post TRIBBLE" used for people who make useless/spam posts for the sake of raising their post count across various forums. Those people then use their high post count to ridicule those who have low post counts, as if a low post count suddenly invalidates what a person says.

Aww, ok. thnx for the info.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    greedo42greedo42 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything on centersolace's list.

I feel sorry for Brandon: I wonder if he was just as surprised as us or was he actually under orders not to hint that this was happening?

Honestly, they should have just let us keep the old forums but put in some zen links or something to appease PWE. Its really awful to lose so, so much functionality just so some Beijing suits can feel good about fully assimilating us.

The biggest worry in my mind now is that there is NO REPORT POST BUTTON. Oh yeah, and all perm and temp bans have been lifted. So the Forums are now the Wild West after a jailbreak.

If these aren't fixed I could see the forums dying off completely
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PWE Web Team is bound for Gre'Thor.....:mad:
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Really the only thing that should be on the list should be, it's not vBulletin. If you can't do your own forum software better, don't do it at all. Especially when there's a robust and feature rich solution already available.
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited June 2012
      - Time zone cannot be set, all are GMT-8 ...Oh say can you see... - [.List] isn't working - NO more Forum access through open proxys: I get
    "Our sincerest apologies, we cannot provide service to players in your region or to players using open proxies."
    - everytime i log out (sure this is not general, but: "check includes/search.php for [GJH]"
  • Options
    picard99picard99 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I will agree with post #1.
  • Options
    dassemstodassemsto Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    49. NO CUSTOM AVATARS??!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

This issue is made even worse, because a mocking "Edit your Avatar" button has been given one of the best and most easiy accessed locations on the screen....

"Now what should we do with this pice of prime page realestate? We'll put a button there! A button that says it can do something awsome, but really can't do shi t!"

good thinking! +1
  • Options
    suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Another thing I'd like to point out.

This is running on vBulletin 3.7.1 from over 4 years ago, the most recent version is vBulletin is 4.2 from a month ago. I can't remember what the old forums were running on, but it was most definatly a newer version than what we have here.

My concern here is that by using older software, are the forums more insecure?
  • Options
    capm7capm7 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    They should have used Invision Power Board. vbulletin, while nice, doesn't hold a candle to IPB.
    ---Capm
    Founder, Midnight Squadron
    http://www.midnightsquadron.com
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    no more highlighting of threads that i have posted in vs all the others
  • Options
    venetar90venetar90 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My head is just straight up about to explode from this new website....
    [/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    To be honest to save use on spam posts I vote for having the capcha back since this post http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=277931 is a horrendous result and proof of why you need to make sure a forum or any website is tested thoroughly before being pushed to live.. this is a gaming forum not a place for asian / middle-eastern knock-off spammers to make themselves known.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Unable to report obvious spam.
    Not as big a problem as the fact that there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to report a post. Especially when a stinking scammer is posting TRIBBLE all over the boards.

True true....
    [/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would argue at this point, though, just about everyone is spamming their dislike of this catastrophe right now
    [/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Agreed - I've submitted a ticket regarding the scam posts.

Seems a rather long-winded way of reporting a series of scam posts on the forums though, especially since all that you USED to have to do was click the report button.....

Poor Bran, the alternative to putting in a ticket is to PM him about the thread.
    edited June 2012
    Found another styling issue with the lists.

The ordered lists seem to post in bold, the bullets (numbers) are not padded either and overlap the side of the forums (or quote boxes). Also there is no spacing above the list either, so it hits the paragraph above it, for example
    1. This is an ordered list list that overlaps to the post frame to the left
    1. This is an ordered list list that overlaps the quote box to left

Seriously, these are all webdesign 101 styling issues, I'm beginning to think they had an intern that didn't know what they were doing make these changes.

I could easily fix alot of these issues in a day or so, but I ain't doing it for free like I did with the other forum styling issues i found fixes for, lol
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    don't know if these have been covered

subscribe doesn't work indent command doesn't work list and numbered command doesn't work or this would be a list
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    "44. Usage of the phrases "New Posts" and "Today's Post" (upper left near "your" avatar) is inconsistent. If both links have the same function, they should be condensed."

"Today's Post" seems grammatically wrong to me and indicates a singular result. Do away with it and use only "New Posts"

PS.

Nice to be back and still using my old name. My sincerest condolences to those who were not so fortunate?
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Character profiles have finally bit the dust. No longer able to login and check your bio, or captain's log, etc.
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    "44. Usage of the phrases "New Posts" and "Today's Post" (upper left near "your" avatar) is inconsistent. If both links have the same function, they should be condensed."

"Today's Post" seems grammatically wrong to me and indicates a singular result. Do away with it and use only "New Posts"

PS.

Nice to be back and still using my old name. My sincerest condolences to those who were not so fortunate?

In a working forum "New Posts" should be all the threads with new posts that you haven't read, while "Today's Posts" should show even the ones you've read.
    edited June 2012
    When using an iPad ( in this case, an iPad2), the virtual keyboard, gets in the way when logging in.

What happens is that the log in box keeps dissepearing underneath the virtual keyboard, making it impoosible to see what you write in the login box.

Also, the login box keeps scrolling downwards when typing into it, making the page scroll down with it, wich is very annoying.

Please fix this.

Oh, and the new forums suck in it's current state. It's clunky, and uninspired.
This discussion has been closed.