test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Problems with the new forums: A complete list.

Comments

• Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    twg042370 wrote: »
    For a fandom of a show about embracing the new and blazing new trails, you guys sure ain't.

There is nothing new about these forums. The same vbulletin tech as the old ones but with less features enabled. Not really a fan of de-evolving something.
  • Options
    majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    #43 appears to be resolved :)

Go to: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/profile.php?do=editoptions and use the "Date & Time Options".

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Why is there no option for this on the User CP, as there used to be?
  • Options
    wolfdelyonwolfdelyon Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    1. The white GUI on black background is garish and downright painful to look at.

I actually think it's not that bad... but there's a CSS fix for FireFox users. I saw some thread about it earlier today.
    38. Nothing on Core Connect works with STO, including Friends and Guilds (Fleets)

This is a good point - when are we going to see the in-game friends/fleets system integrated with the CORE connect functions?
    48. No more "online" "offline" status underneath the Avatar.

The online/offline thing is just one result of a bigger issue - there's no real integration between the in-game Cryptic accounts and the forum accounts. This is why in-game mail and contacts (i.e., friends) are completely different from the ones on the forums. I can't read my in-game mails from the website, and if I send a private message here it doesn't show up in-game. This also means (as far as I know) that there's no way to copy text from in-game mails anymore (the game client never had this ability, but I used to be able to copy the text via the forums)
    51. When using an iPad, log in box disappears underneath the virtual keyboard.

Also happens on Android pads/tablets. Very annoying.
    53. Some merged accounts have had their subscribed to game days reset to 0!

Not really. As I've written before - there's no real integration between the accounts, so the PWE system doesn't know the real number. To see the "subscribed for" field from Cryptic's database you have to go to the "Create / Manage Subscriptions" link on your account page (right above the subscribed for 0 days). You'll be redirected to a Cryptic site, where you have to login again, and there you'll see your subscription status (LTS, Valid until ..., or not valid) and the real number of days.
    59. NO CUSTOM AVATARS??!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

Yeah, what's up with that??? I liked my avatar... and I refuse to put it in a signature, since it's an avatar - not a signature. From what I know (both as an ex-software-dev and as a user of several forums) uploading a profile picture/avatar is a pretty basic feature. In fact, PWE seems to have my avatar picture on my profile already (via the FB connect) - why can't it show here?

I saw Brandon saying that avatars on other PWE games are related to in-game toons and progress, which would kinda make sense (I'd be fine with choosing my main's "passport snap" as an avatar), but the faction-insignia avatars right now are really really lacking.

=/\=
    LLAP!
    Wolf-de-Lyon :cool:
  • Options
    adampdreschadampdresch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    As I said in another thread:

I just can't understand how they got it so wrong?

I mean the theme is awful, the buttons don't match and there's a huge amount of wasted space.

I've run a Vbulletin forum for some 8 years, from 2.0 right up to 3.8.7 and will soon be migrating to the 4.X edition.

I have no CSS/Html experience myself but was able to convert my 3.0 style to 4.X, eg:

VB3: http://www.dresch.co.uk/vb3.jpg
    VB4: http://www.dresch.co.uk/vb4.jpg

So it makes me wonder why this replacement forum wasn't ready before people were shipped here.

And if it was an upgrade to a newer edition of VB, why was anything lost?
  • Options
    capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    #43 appears to be resolved :)

Go to: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/profile.php?do=editoptions and use the "Date & Time Options".

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

This needs to be visible in the user cp, as opposed to a hidden link. I'm glad the info was posted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    There is nothing new about these forums.

Definitely not in certain ways.
    <3
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2012
    Why is there no option for this on the User CP, as there used to be?
    capnbludd wrote: »
    This needs to be visible in the user cp, as opposed to a hidden link. I'm glad the info was posted.

I'm going to add that as a sub-point in the OP and see if we can get it to be visible in the current UserCP.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    geoff484geoff484 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    is how did we lose all of this stuff? Why are all the posts listed as "archived" or whatever?

I'm a web designer/programmer and personally I just don't see how this could have happened. Shouldn't all of our information have been stored in a database and just moved over to another database? If the tables for the user's information on the old STO forums didn't match the tables for perfect world, it would have still been really simple to make a couple of changes in order to maintain all the information from the old forums.

Either you guys use something that I'm not familiar with (which is obviously inefficient as it seems to be more of a hassle to maintain) or the project manager didn't plan things out very well - Which is sad considering as simple as something like that is.

I'm not trying to brag because I don't think I'm the greatest programmer (which is why I'm so baffled that something so simple wasn't accomplished very smoothly) but I could have transferred and maintained all of the user's information into a different database with ease without putting the users through any kind of hassle - In fact I've done something like that before.

So what's the technical reason why this wasn't done the same? What are Cryptic(or PW, could be their fault) using that prevented them from maintaining all of the user's same old information?
    banner_zpsowioz7sn.jpg
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Threads that are critical of PWE and these forums are being moved to the roleplay board...
    ...or merged with off-topic threads...
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    angelsilhouetteangelsilhouette Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2012
    Some threads seem to be marking themselves as read so that the little "go to first unread" button disappears. Fine on low capacity threads, but it makes one not want to keep up with frequently responded to threads.
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    geoff484 wrote: »
    So what's the technical reason why this wasn't done the same? What are Cryptic(or PW, could be their fault) using that prevented them from maintaining all of the user's same old information?

if you've seen the archived posts, you may have noted the character errrors.

I'm thinking there was a charset error going from one install to the other.

Also remember that when they started, most of us didn;t have MW accounts at the time. There wasn't anything to transfer the accounts to.

A simple transfer of account information also wouldn't if the accounts had collisions with accounts having the same name on the PW side.

I've done webhosting and consulting for *cough* years and I've never seen a platform transfer go 100% right.

edit: A part of me wants to say that, considering the charset errors, the whole transfer went to pot and this was the best that they could do but I don;t know if I would go that far.
  • Options
    angelsilhouetteangelsilhouette Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2012
    if you've seen the archived posts, you may have noted the character errrors.

I'm thinking there was a charset error going from one install to the other.

Also remember that when they started, most of us didn;t have MW accounts at the time. There wasn't anything to transfer the accounts to.

A simple transfer of account information also wouldn't if the accounts had collisions with accounts having the same name on the PW side.

I've done webhosting and consulting for *cough* years and I've never seen a platform transfer go 100% right.

edit: A part of me wants to say that, considering the charset errors, the whole transfer went to pot and this was the best that they could do but I don;t know if I would go that far.

Alternatively they could have chosen, you know, not to do it.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Didn't see this on the list, but, for those that can not use the lifetime Career Officer title, standard titles are back. and instead of being "Junior Member", "Member" and "Senior Member", they are trek themed :biggrin:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If we can't have custom avatars, can I at least get a Gorn Hegemony icon? My space pirate isn't all THAT loyal to the Klingons. :P
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    testing non-LTS forum title thingy.

EDIT: Test 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    testing non-LTS forum title thingy.

That's another thing I actually meant to add to the list. Doesn't look like you can turn it off once it is on. Adding it now.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    That's another thing I actually meant to add to the list. Doesn't look like you can turn it off once it is on. Adding it now.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

LOL

So I see...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Didn't see this on the list, but, for those that can not use the lifetime Career Officer title, standard titles are back. and instead of being "Junior Member", "Member" and "Senior Member", they are trek themed :biggrin:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thats very cool! It's sometime the little things that count :smile:

Also, "Reply with Quote" is hit-and-miss. Most of the time it does not create a quote (had to try 5 times for this post), sometimes it grabs another post to quote instead.

ps. maybe we can sell all these fixes back to pwe to implement on their other forums :tongue:
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Any chance of re-adding the old buttons to the forum? They looked sooooo much better (and without the white jaggedy edges around them).
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    A couple other things:

1) The dropdown from the main page to get to the forums for example doesn't work on an iPhone.
    2) In DevTracker, when I press page 2 or 3 it takes me to page 1. I have to click the > link to actually go to the next page. Not sure if that applies to all searches.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Don't recall if this is on the list:

- Add a divider between the users forum post, and the signature.

Right now, the signatures tend to blend into the forum post, making it hard to know where the posts end, and the signatures begin.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    Don't recall if this is on the list:

- Add a divider between the users forum post, and the signature.

Right now, the signatures tend to blend into the forum post, making it hard to know where the posts end, and the signatures begin.

Preferably a horizontal rule, and not a series of underscores.
    7n4nvF5.png
  • Options
    tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    yea thats pretty cool, is your forum rank tied to your post count?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would imagine so. I'm at 28 Posts (Ensign), while your last post says you have 53 total, and ranked as a Lieutenant. Not sure what the cut-off points are for each rank (i.e how many posts needed per rank).
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yeah finding out instant subscription notifications (even 24 hour ones) aren't working anymore. Checked spam boxes and what have you they just aint sendin :frown:
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited June 2012
    askray wrote: »
    Yeah finding out instant subscription notifications (even 24 hour ones) aren't working anymore. Checked spam boxes and what have you they just aint sendin :frown:

Glad its not just me then. This a pretty important feature thats missing IMO
  • Options
    malesimmalesim Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Want to add something that was removed a while ago, to the list.
    The Who's Online feature. Where you could see who of your friends were online from the forums.
  • Options
    diaglyphdiaglyph Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just wanted to add that I have no issue with the black background. If this ever changes, I would like the option to keep the black background. I find an all white background tends to hurt my eyes when I'm reading forums. Black background makes it easier on my eyes.
    Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
    It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    -- Hogfather, Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    malesim wrote: »
    Want to add something that was removed a while ago, to the list.
    The Who's Online feature. Where you could see who of your friends were online from the forums.

There is a simple workaround for that which in-turn lets you keep track of private messages on a second pc (ie if your gaming on a tower and you got a spare laptop next to you):

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=159864
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
This discussion has been closed.