test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tweetleaks from Denis, Stahl, & Stormy, human badge, new turret, & DTNE DevDiary.

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Will any duty officers be antagonist or others provide larger benefits in exchange for drawbacks?

We're testing some assignments with situations where you will be able to take enemy duty officers prisoners (basically, a special kind of specialization that obviously can't be used for any assignments not intended for prisoners) and then interrogate or engage in prisoner exchanges with them, if that's what you mean by antagonists.

Some duty officer traits will be situationally bad. For example, the Aggressive trait is a positive for many Military assignments, but is a negative in some assignments - such as many Diplomatic assignments - that require tact. Some traits in conjunction with some specialties will thus be more - or less - valued. For example, Ferengi Traders are simply superior at Trade assignments compared with Traders from most other species, assuming they are of the same quality tier to begin with.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    This particular one was for Klingons. I'm pretty sure they'd object violently to a Tribble - especially a sentient Tribble - on board one of their battleships, let alone serving on their crew as part of their ship's duty roster.

Haha, I'm going to guess Excalbian Doff. Maybe when they examined Human concepts of good and evil, they found that Kahless was much more interesting than Lincoln.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    We're testing some assignments with situations where you will be able to take enemy duty officers prisoners (basically, a special kind of specialization that obviously can't be used for any assignments not intended for prisoners) and then interrogate or engage in prisoner exchanges with them, if that's what you mean by antagonists.

You're doing prisoners?!? Thanks Heretic! And can you tell everyone working on the Duty Officer system thank you too?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Some duty officer traits will be situationally bad. For example, the Aggressive trait is a positive for many Military assignments, but is a negative in some assignments - such as many Diplomatic assignments - that require tact. Some traits in conjunction with some specialties will thus be more - or less - valued. For example, Ferengi Traders are simply superior at Trade assignments compared with Traders from most other species, assuming they are of the same quality tier to begin with.
    The more I read about this the more excited I get for it. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    pdidy wrote: »
    You're doing prisoners?!? Thanks Heretic! And can you tell everyone working on the Duty Officer system thank you too?

Just to be clear; we're trying to do them. They may not work out how we want them to. I am cautiously optimistic, but we'll see what people think of the mechanic when it finally goes to Tribble.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Better answer than I had expected. :D

Get it on Tribble, stat! :D

How many DOFFs for the active roster exist now?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    Just to be clear; we're trying to do them. They may not work out how we want them to. I am cautiously optimistic, but we'll see what people think of the mechanic when it finally goes to Tribble.
    I may have to transfer my freshly rolled science toon to Tribble so I can play this out from beginning to end, so to speak. learn a guild build the long way.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    thats an exo-comp. i couldnt tell what is was. and it sure doesnt look like the exocomp from TNG
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic is now my hero. :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    This particular one was for Klingons. I'm pretty sure they'd object violently to a Tribble - especially a sentient Tribble - on board one of their battleships, let alone serving on their crew as part of their ship's duty roster.

LOL I wouldn't put it past you guys after you made us Klingons dig through piles of huge filthy tribble vermin to get our Q Event Rewards! :p
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    I'm pretty amenable, if we can get fitting art in the right format for it. That'd be the major sticking issue for cetacean ops as well.

So, you guys are actually talking about cetacean ops? I <3 you all. In a mainly way or course.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey Heretic,

This may be somewhat off-topic, but some of the stuff in the thread got me thinking.

When the Department Head System goes online after the Duty Officer System, will the KDF have appropriate position titles as opposed to Starfleet titles? Weapons Officer as opposed to Tactical Officer, for example?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Reading this it appears to me that your trait system is conceptually something you should also use for the exploration mission system and the various alien races in them. THey could also be used as a basis to form missions and stories that "make sense" based on the alien races involved.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    LOL I wouldn't put it past you guys after you made us Klingons dig through piles of huge filthy tribble vermin to get our Q Event Rewards! :p

We have done it before and we'll do it again. I'll take the tribbles I have to dig through and throw them into the vacuum of space....When I am certain they are no longer a threat, I shall have them be used as icecubes for my iced tea...lol. :D JK
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    frak wrote: »
    When the Department Head System goes online after the Duty Officer System, will the KDF have appropriate position titles as opposed to Starfleet titles? Weapons Officer as opposed to Tactical Officer, for example?

It's a possibility, but it will be a while before we can dive into that due to the way the development schedule is set up, so I can't give a firm answer now.

Reading this it appears to me that your trait system is conceptually something you should also use for the exploration mission system and the various alien races in them. THey could also be used as a basis to form missions and stories that "make sense" based on the alien races involved.

It isn't outside the realm of possibility to do something like that eventually when the time and resources become available. Gozer and I have had some discussions already about ways to integrate the work on the duty officer system into the existing mission structure, but they're slammed right now in Content, and I don't expect that to ease up for a while at least.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    It's a possibility, but it will be a while before we can dive into that due to the way the development schedule is set up, so I can't give a firm answer now.

It isn't outside the realm of possibility to do something like that eventually when the time and resources become available. Gozer and I have had some discussions already about ways to integrate the work on the duty officer system into the existing mission structure, but they're slammed right now in Content, and I don't expect that to ease up for a while at least.

Thanks for the answers. Also, high five Matt for the Jupiter uniforms.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, they're Boss! I'm going to write a review up for Trek Radio. Not sure if it'll make the front page but It'll be up on our forums when I'm done.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dstahl wrote:
    Good news Exocomp fans. Kurt is building Exocomps to replace Engineer Drones as part of Ground Combat 2.0
    http://yfrog.com/h07xvjtj

well it appears that the Exocomps will be involved in ground combat
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ernest wrote:
    well it appears that the Exocomps will be involved in ground combat

Doesn't mean we can't also see some Exocomp DOff's floating around at some point. ;)
    Heretic wrote:

After looking at this, it really makes me wish there was a "re-traiting" system in place. Or at least, the ability to select traits for Alien BOff's. We have very litle control over what they have, and too many times I've been given Alien BOff's that have pretty much the exact same trait loadouts. It's very annoying, to say the least.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:

I think what all Klingons would like to know is if they can execute their own weapons officers for incompetence. :D

Or, better yet, a small random chance to fight off a mutiny attempt on your bridge after losing a space combat encounter.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Delsaber wrote: »
    I think what all Klingons would like to know is if they can execute their own weapons officers for incompetence. :D

Or, better yet, a small random chance to fight off a mutiny attempt on your bridge after losing a space combat encounter.

Oh, I don't think you'll be disappointed...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Interesting.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Very interesting indeed and very Klingon like... after all, it's the First Officer's duty to challenge and kill an incompetent captain.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Mutinies to crush...
    Insurgents to route...
    House conflicts to unravel...

Klingons have so many interesting possibilities in STO.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Why do the humans need a separate badge? Starfleet started out as a human only endeavour, and the emblem looked a bit like a boomerang. Later, the Enterprise's ship patch was adopted as a replacement and the other ship patches were phased out. Creating a separate human badge seems like something one of those xenophobic "Humans First!" movements would do.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Creating a separate human badge seems like something one of those xenophobic "Humans First!" movements would do.

Well there you go...

Kidding aside, I've maintained that the best use of these badges are not for use on our player captains and crews (that should be representing Starfleet crews), but on Foundry NPCs for missions where you may want to show non-Starfleet Federation factions, like the crew of a Vulcan Science vessel or a Tellarite freighter crew, or a Ferengi merchant vessel. It's not impossible or even unlikely that the worlds of the Federation would still have their own provincial governments, much like state militias or police forces that focus on more local matters, whereas Starfleet would represent the larger federal or interstate force over all UFP worlds.

If the UFP is supposed to be some sort of analogy to the UN, that doesn't mean that the nations of the UN give up their identities, government, or military to become the "UN". They still have all of their own stuff. The USA is part of the UN but is still the USA, and still has its own military forces apart from the UN forces. Likewise, the Rigelians are a part of the UFP but more than likely maintain their own fleets as well as supporting Starfleet. It's not unthinkable that Earth probably maintains its own forces to cover the Sol system, although it more than likely gets downplayed or completely overshadowed by Starfleet HQ being in the same system.

Also, it looks like they did include many little starfleet deltas incorporated as the border of the human badge...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also, it looks like they did include many little starfleet deltas incorporated as the border of the human badge...

I think that's supposed to be a stylized Olive branch.. Like on the Emblem of the UFP.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Katic wrote: »
    I think that's supposed to be a stylized Olive branch.. Like on the Emblem of the UFP.
    Yes. An olive branch stylized in the form of many little starfleet deltas.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes. An olive branch stylized in the form of many little starfleet deltas.

Seriously?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If the UFP is supposed to be some sort of analogy to the UN, that doesn't mean that the nations of the UN give up their identities, government, or military to become the "UN". They still have all of their own stuff. The USA is part of the UN but is still the USA, and still has its own military forces apart from the UN forces. Likewise, the Rigelians are a part of the UFP but more than likely maintain their own fleets as well as supporting Starfleet. It's not unthinkable that Earth probably maintains its own forces to cover the Sol system, although it more than likely gets downplayed or completely overshadowed by Starfleet HQ being in the same system.

Except that Starfleet started out as Earth's space force. Once the UFP was formed, apparently earth's tiny (at least it appeared to be so in ST: Enterprise when the UFP was starting) space force became the sole representative of the UFP. Perhaps it was because we were more adaptable than the Vulcans, less warlike than the Andorians, and less... Piggy than the Tellarites. :p In any case, it was Earth's Starfleet that became the military representation of the UFP. There would be no reason for earth to create another space force that did the same thing, since Starfleet is headquartered on Earth. If the Earth government could create another branch and divert funding to create a defence fleet, they could just as easily create a defence fleet within the Starfleet structure.

I don't think that the various other planetary governments were forced to dissolve their space forces and let Starfleet take over, however, only the Earth space force was chosen as representative of the UFP. In that role, it has become more than just an Earth government space force; however, just because it has grown to be more, it does not mean that it has simultaneously become less in abandoning its role as Earth's space force. While the UFP could be considered a futuristic analogue of the UN, Starfleet is not the futuristic analogue of the UN Security force. A more modern analogue would be if the US Navy and Coast Guard were consolidated and it alone was chosen to represent the security and defence arm of the UN, and that wherever it went, it represented the UN first and the USA second. The USA would not suddenly be without a naval defence, as ships would remain to defend us; however more ships would likely be built to patrol the globe.