What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

slipstream ninjaing

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Does star trek online use multiple realm servers like world of warcraft or does it use only one server where everyone's character is hosted on?

While the meta-verse is one persistent server, most maps have multiple instances, in order to prevent overcrowding. This includes star clusters. In fact i believe the soft limit, as in the max allowed assuming everyone loads the map one by one, for star clusters is five. Or was it ten? Either way its not very high.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    padrinho wrote: »
    Now what if you complete a mission and when you respawn back to the B'tran cluster, there's an anomaly sitting right in front of you. Do you not have every right to scan it?

Exactly! I have re spawned on anomalies that I have seen people racing towards obviously I scanned it first. Why would I just go find another one?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Or remove slip-stream in the exploration clusters.

Why remove the symptom when you can cure the CAUSE.

The clusters are over-packed and that means it's first come first serve.
    Remove slipstream and folks will just use warp to beat you to the clusters.

Going to remove the ability to use warp in exploration clusters as well ?

Or perhaps we can increase the spawn timer or lower the population inside them so folks can be supplied with exploration content without fighting over them. As it is, until this is fixed it will continue to be a mess wether you remove slipstream or not.

Until then, First Come First Serve.
    It's that simple.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    J-Sheridan wrote:

^This

The problem is that we used to see around 5 players in a B'Tran instance.

Now it's 20 ships jockeying for a handful of anomalies.

Come on Crypic, look into this issue. Reduce the player cap on the instances back to what it used to be. If we want to compete with other players we'll go PvP, but this is truely not much fun (nor does it fell "Star Trekkie").
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    J-Sheridan wrote:

Or perhaps we can increase the spawn timer or lower the population inside them so folks can be supplied with exploration content without fighting over them. As it is, until this is fixed it will continue to be a mess wether you remove slipstream or not.

It's that simple.

While I will agree that B'Tran has become over populated I have yet to not be able to complete an explore mission. It is not so bad that it prevents you from completing it. I would also like to point out that the real reason that it is overpopulated right now is because PvP is broken and B'Tran VA is the only way to get emblems at the moment.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    J-Sheridan wrote:

It's that simple.

There is such a thing as respect for others. some of us have been taught that. But yes the overcrowding issue needs to be resolved. In the btran just alone there can be up to sometimes 10 people and no exploration systems or anomalies to be found anywhere. The reason why i asked the question about the server issue was perhaps maybe cryptic needs to make an additional server available and maybe make it so some people could transfer to the new server. Thus solve the overcrowding issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Presbytier wrote: »
    While I will agree that B'Tran has become over populated I have yet to not be able to complete an explore mission. It is not so bad that it prevents you from completing it. I would also like to point out that the real reason that it is overpopulated right now is because PvP is broken and B'Tran VA is the only way to get emblems at the moment.

So the pvp thing has not been fixed yet? I do not pvp that often.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There is such a thing as respect for others. some of us have been taught that. But yes the overcrowding issue needs to be resolved. In the btran just alone there can be up to sometimes 10 people and no exploration systems or anomalies to be found anywhere. The reason why i asked the question about the server issue was perhaps maybe cryptic needs to make an additional server available and maybe make it so some people could transfer to the new server. Thus solve the overcrowding issue.

This is a game it is about competition. As long as you are not being verbally harassed I find no reason as why people should be forced to play to your standards.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The reason why i asked the question about the server issue was perhaps maybe cryptic needs to make an additional server available and maybe make it so some people could transfer to the new server. Thus solve the overcrowding issue.

This has been suggested, and rejected, more than a handfull of times before... So basically there's no need to go down that road.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This is a game it is about competition. As long as you are not being verbally harassed I find no reason as why people should be forced to play to your standards.

Well I was brought up to respect others regardless of the medium guess I'm just too old fashioned I guess.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    anazonda wrote: »
    This has been suggested, and rejected, more than a handfull of times before... So basically there's no need to go down that road.

Trust me we don't want another server. It will make the population look much smaller than it really is, and we will have more threads of people claiming that the game is dying because nobody plays it.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Maybe at the time there was no need but now things have changed and maybe now its time to revisit the idea.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Trust me we don't want another server. It will make the population look much smaller than it really is, and we will have more threads of people claiming that the game is dying because nobody plays it.

Yea... you need to start reading posts rather than just quickly looking over the letters...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well I was brought up to respect others regardless of the medium guess I'm just too old fashioned I guess.

It is not disrespect to use an in-game power to your advantage. Do you allow Klingons first shot in PvP so you can say you did not start the fight?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited August 2010

People only make those threads because they like to spread fear. Its like these religious zealots about 2012. I have someone who lives in my building that believes armageddon is coming in 2012. She's convinced that in 2012 the world is going to end.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yea... you need to start reading posts rather than just quickly looking over the letters...

I can write something and put dots after my words too........

edited- my apologies even though you were attempting to be coy with me I shouldn't have returned the same attitude. and I thought you were talking to me
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I don't see your point. I was enforcing your statement with an argument as to why we don't really want or need another server.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I disagree. PvP is about competition. Exploration missions are not.

The B'Tran dailies are *exploration* missions.

ymmv
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    People only make those threads because they like to spread fear. Its like these religious zealots about 2012. I have someone who lives in my building that believes armageddon is coming in 2012. She's convinced that in 2012 the world is going to end.

He did'n read my post... he only saw the words, but he didn read them.... If he had he wouldn have made that statement.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    He did'n read my post... he only saw the words, but he didn read them.... If he had he wouldn have made that statement.

I think you are confused I was merely enforcing your point. I really don't see what problem you have with what I said.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think you are confused I was merely enforcing your point. I really don't see what problem you have with what I said.

Let me clarify then:

you said the following, quoting a previous post from me
    Trust me we don't want another server.

Now I would like you to point out where I stated that I wanted or had ever requested:

- A new server.
    - Helped an attempt to get a new server.
    - Supported any suggestions to set up a new server.

As you put it up, it was a direct reply/response to my post , or using my post as an example, (wich is what one does when quoting), and as such I concluded that you had an understanding that I wanted or had earlier wanted a new server.

Since this is not the case, I had to conclude that you did'n read the post, but only looked over the words.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The reason why i asked the question about the server issue was perhaps maybe cryptic needs to make an additional server available and maybe make it so some people could transfer to the new server. Thus solve the overcrowding issue.

It really doesn't require an additional server.

All they have to do is reduce the player cap on the instance and set it back to where it was in B'Tran prior to S2. The system will allocate the number of instances needed.

What it appears they've done is try to skimp on resources (it's easier to stuff 20 players into 5 instances than it is to stuff 5 players into 20 intances). But resources really shouldn't be an issue currently because nobody is using any for the PvP shards. And it wasn't a resource problem capping a B'Tran instnce to 5 players prior to S2.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It really doesn't require an additional server.

All they have to do is reduce the player cap on the instance and set it back to where it was in B'Tran prior to S2. The system will allocate the number of instances needed.

What it appears they've done is try to skimp on resources (it's easier to stuff 20 players into 5 instances than it is to stuff 5 players into 20 intances). But resources really shouldn't be an issue currently because nobody is using any for the PvP shards. And it wasn't a resource problem capping a B'Tran instnce to 5 players prior to S2.

so you don't think an additional server would help the stability of our main server?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Here are some possible solutions to the issue:

1. More instances of less players coupled with same amount of spawning anomalies (without fixing the mission issues)

2. Same amount of instances with same amount of players coupled with higher spawn rate of anomalies (without fixing the mission issues)

3. Same amount of instances with same amount of players coupled with same spawn rate of anomalies but with all issues with exploration missions resolved

4. All players totally and completely defer to and offer up to any nearby players to have first shot at any spawned anomalies

5. One player per instance determines that he alone has all rights to any anomaly within his vision and considers anyone else to be a ninja for having dared to even gaze upon his anomaly

Any other suggested resolutions to the perceived issue?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    so you don't think an additional server would help the stability of our main server?

If your the one paying for it, sure.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Honestly, no. Hop on Tribble. There's nobody there and it's suffering the same issues as Holodeck (if not worse). I think most of the stability issues we're encountering are more to do with memory leaks and some glitches in the code. Some of the fixes we've seen recently have produced side effects of their own.

The instanced architecture of STO allows for the use of far more players than we've ever seen to date. Think of it as hundreds of little servers acting as one. It's much easier to maintain and update. And it's designed to deal with loading by automatically opening new instances when needed (removing the ones that aren't). It's a better system than the traditional old-school "set up a dozen identical servers" solution.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Let me clarify then:

you said the following, quoting a previous post from me

Now I would like you to point out where I stated that I wanted or had ever requested:

- A new server.
    - Helped an attempt to get a new server.
    - Supported any suggestions to set up a new server.

As you put it up, it was a direct reply/response to my post , or using my post as an example, (wich is what one does when quoting), and as such I concluded that you had an understanding that I wanted or had earlier wanted a new server.

Since this is not the case, I had to conclude that you did'n read the post, but only looked over the words.
    I never said you wanted a new server as I have said several times my post was enforcing the opinion that we do not need another server. I have responded to you several times already in this thread stating that I was in agreement with you. You are the one who needs to learn to read.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pyryck wrote:
    Here are some possible solutions to the issue:

1. More instances of less players coupled with same amount of spawning anomalies (without fixing the mission issues)

This is obiously the eaiest quick fix for now. One dev changes a single value for the player cap (reduce it from the current 20 back to 5 where B'Tran was in the past). The required instances will come online as demanded by the system (just as before). Push it thru on tonight's 3:00AM maint.

Resolved.

Fixing mission issues are, well another issue entirely.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I never said you wanted a new server as I have said several times my post was enforcing the opinion that we do not need another server.

I never said I did'n want a new server either.

The thing is that I am neutral on the subject. I neither wan't or don't wan't a new server. STO is the first MMO I play, and as such I have no expirience, and cannot refer to the results such an action would be, and as such do not have a valid opinion on this.

I still would read it as if you said that I wanted a new server, but I also recognize that it is probably a misunderstanding based on the fact that this is textbased communication and the fact that we are most likely from diffrent contries, and as such react diffrently on diffrent ways to write/respond to posts.
    So basically "Both right, Both wrong" :)

I hope we can agree on this, but I have to note that we might be highjacking alittle, and should get back on topic (you and I that is xD).
  • Options
    edited August 2010

STO doesn't just run on a single machine commonly referred to as a "server". STO runs on a "shard" which as far as I remember includes 50+ individual computers all working together to provide the shard that the "Holodeck" is hosted on. Cryptic would have to invest in another server farm in order to "create an additional server". Not currently financially feasible or even warranted IMHO. (I am not exactly sure just where "Tribble" resides, but it is possible that it co-exists on the same shard).

STO is "stable" as far as the "server" being up and available for use / play. While there are some programming issues that creep in from time to time that manifest as lag, delays or disconnects, they can be (and quite often are) resolved by "correcting" the programming during maintenance or patching periods of downtime.

So no, another server to split the population up would not help resolve players going after anomalies in B'Tran. :)
This discussion has been closed.