Install Arc
Options

Honestly, I'm p'd off.

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    So, to get back to the OP -

I happen to agree with your assessment of the Galaxy X being a bit much. I never expected them to go on and add a super-cannon functionality and cloak. They do seem to be suggesting all end-game ship designs they are currently working on will be like that, but *shrug*

My love of being contrary to Lt.Expendable (on this one point) aside, I'd be happy to earn a different ship entirely. The first thing I thought of was actually that this should have been a Bajoran lightship - something awesome, exclusive, but ultimately just a cool non-combat vanity reward.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there would be an entire thread about how unfair it is that there be any reward whatsoever for anything... at least from the 5 posters who make all the noise.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Maybe later. I'm busier these days doing actual work instead of volunteering for everything. :P

I can pay you in near worthless STO energy creds...

I have millions...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jnoh wrote:
    I happen to agree with your assessment of the Galaxy X being a bit much. I never expected them to go on and add a super-cannon functionality and cloak. They do seem to be suggesting all end-game ship designs they are currently working on will be like that, but *shrug.

To be fair, we don't know if the cannon is even going to be worth the slot it takes up. The same goes for the "Cloak". I don't remember anyone officially saying it will have one or not-- but I'm likely forgetting. I seriously doubt the cannon will be near as effective as you see during the show, or it will be way too powerful. I'd be equally surprised if the Galaxy-X will have a Cloak; if it has anything like that, it'll likely be something like an innate Mask Energy Signature power.

Heads would roll if the Galaxy-X had a real Cloak like the Klingons. Or maybe I missed the announcement, and that's why there's such a flamewar going on. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rewards can offer things. Just if they're too good let us earn them in game! That's all I'm saying really.

Hologram officers, awesome tier 5 ships with unique abilities, any awesome species released in the future (androids!), etc are all too awesome to be exclusive.
    Exclusives are fine. Just give viable alternatives or alternate ways to earn them for the more awesome exclusives. I know that probably goes against the business plan of trying to get more subs via awesome rewards but... really I don't care. If the rewards are too awesome (in general I'm not talking everyone) you're just alienating your existing subscription base.

A lot of us might see all these awesome rewards that we just can't get (without tons of cash). It's annoying...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rewards can offer things. Just if they're too good let us earn them in game! That's all I'm saying really.

Hologram officers, awesome tier 5 ships with unique abilities, any awesome species released in the future (androids!), etc are all too awesome to be exclusive.
    Exclusives are fine. Just give viable alternatives or alternate ways to earn them for the more awesome exclusives. I know that probably goes against the business plan of trying to get more subs via awesome rewards but... really I don't care. If the rewards are too awesome (in general I'm not talking everyone) you're just alienating your existing subscription base.

A lot of us might see all these awesome rewards that we just can't get (without tons of cash). It's annoying...

Ok, you seem to have a reasonable approach to this, let me ask you something:
    The Rivera Tribble.

This exclusive tribble is the only Tribble in the game with 3, separate buffs. It is obtainable only through pre-order from a specific vendor (I don't recall who anymore).

Tribble of Borg

This exclusive tribble is the reward given for testing for a specific amount of time while Season 1 was undergoing its final stages on the test server. In addition to an in-game title, this buffing trbble offers 2 buffs, one of which is an exclusive buff vrs Borg.

There are however buffing tribbles in the game, breedable with the right mix of tribble and food in one's inventory. Most are one or two buffs, though some have shown to have "double buffs" only visible through testing, none are the tripple buff types of the Rivera or the borg buff.

Are the above exclusive reward bonuses (the tribbles) innappropriate? Would it be acceptable to have a similar approach to all other exclusive rewards? Examples- make the following distinctions available to those who earn it in-game: Borg BO, but no effency or costume change (they did this already), Mirror uniforms but not the Spock one (the kirk one, and other era ones... etc?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wahhh wahh moan wahhh moan moan wahhh moan wahhhh

..is that the just of it?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jnoh wrote:
    The Rivera Tribble.

This exclusive tribble is the only Tribble in the game with 3, separate buffs. It is obtainable only through pre-order from a specific vendor (I don't recall who anymore).

Tribble of Borg

This exclusive tribble is the reward given for testing for a specific amount of time while Season 1 was undergoing its final stages on the test server. In addition to an in-game title, this buffing trbble offers 2 buffs, one of which is an exclusive buff vrs Borg.

There are however buffing tribbles in the game, breedable with the right mix of tribble and food in one's inventory. Most are one or two buffs, though some have shown to have "double buffs" only visible through testing, none are the tripple buff types of the Rivera or the borg buff.

Are the above exclusive reward bonuses (the tribbles) innappropriate? Would it be acceptable to have a similar approach to all other exclusive rewards? Examples- make the following distinctions available to those who earn it in-game: Borg BO, but no effency or costume change (they did this already), Mirror uniforms but not the Spock one (the kirk one, and other era ones... etc?

Tribbles affect ground combat. In all greens I can easily own someone with all purples because skill takes a much higher priority in this game's ground combat so I don't really have issue with the tribbles.

Crazy buff tribbles or not I'll probably still kill you. :P

The buffs are negligible enough so that I don't really care. I don't have enough experience with the Borg one to know how much it affects vs Borg gameplay to have an opinion there though. I'm thinking PvP mostly.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wahhh wahh moan wahhh moan moan wahhh moan wahhhh

..is that the just of it?

Nope. Please reread. You forgot the QQs.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    rewards that we just can't get (without tons of cash). It's annoying...

Wait... what?

The only exclusives I know of that required access to large amounts of money were the pre-order LTS... so MU and Liberated Borg.

Nothing else in the game required an outlay of cash, including referrals... or are you another one who thinks this is just for people who buy 5 accounts?? Because even I find that to be ridiculous.

*edited for a typo
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jnoh wrote:
    Nothing else in the game required an outlay of cash, including referrals... or are you another one who thinks this is just for people who buy 5 accounts?? Because even I find that to be ridiculous.
    It might not be ridiculous. Some people might not have friends or associate with other human being so-as to be able to give them a Referral Pass to try the game. You never know. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jnoh wrote:
    Wait... what?

The only exclusives I know of that required access to large amounts of money were the per-order LTS... so MU and Liberated Borg.

Lifetimes are tons of cash. I calculated the 5 additional accounts using friend's money too. It's a ton of cash from a lot of people. Plus I can't refer anyways until this become a product I know they're enjoy and one I can stand behind. With the current state of the game I can't (this is mostly due to endgame here). I don't want to rip off my friends.

The best rewards I've seen have been rewarded for lots of cash (from just you or you and your friends).

The Veterans Reward program helps a bit but it doesn't offer all the awesome alternatives.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I calculated the 5 additional accounts using friend's money too. It's a ton of cash from a lot of people.
    You can buy copies of the game for $16.00-$20.00 all over the internet. A one-month sub runs another $15.00. I'm not sure most people consider $31.00-$35.00 to be a "ton of cash." It's dinner for 2 at an average restaurant with tip. Seems like a small price to pay for something someone might enjoy for a couple of months.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jnoh wrote:
    The Rivera Tribble.

Tribble of Borg

I know you're not asking me buuuuut...

Tribble of Borg was given out literally for doing something in-game. Or, rather, even doing nothing, since you just had to stay logged into Tribble for (1 hour? I think 1 hour). Now, there are some unfortunate issues around that, what with some people not having the spare HD space for the Tribble install, the download coupled with ISPs that suck, etc., but fundamentally it was an in-game thing offered for in-game activities and I don't think there's a reasonable way Cryptic could have accommodated those issues without just passing one out to everyone. I think it'd be nice if the Modem Tribble of Doom (oh gods the first time I heard that... awesome...) showed up again for future testing events so people still have the chance to earn it. Maybe make it take more in future things - as a reward for trying out something specific or something like that. And I say this as one who possesses the grossly cute little bugger.

Now as for the Rivera tribble (which I don't have), eeeeeeeeeh. It's one of those things I feel kinda unconfortable about, like the Automated Defense Turret (which I do have - and have a story about*). The actual tribble buffs are fairly minor, and at the end of the day I'd rather have a damage or resist triple-stack tribble (which I keep forgetting to be arsed to breed). Still... it's a unique effect in the game mechanics.

*In a 5-man group, it's the only way we found to destroy a Nausicaan that spawns inside an asteroid with that spawn size in the Pico distress call mission :( No nudging, angling, or anything was able to get at it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    It might not be ridiculous. Some people might not have friends or associate with other human being so-as to be able to give them a Referral Pass to try the game. You never know. :)

Or they've already recruited everyone they know to play the game and won't be getting any credit in the program, or they've tried to recruit everyone they know but nobody else liked it and one reactivated their Eve sub instead.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wrote:
    Or they've already recruited everyone they know to play the game and won't be getting any credit in the program, or they've tried to recruit everyone they know but nobody else liked it and one reactivated their Eve sub instead.
    I already have 5 people playing this game but I know I can send out 5 more demo passes to others I know. If they bite they bite. If not I still know more then 10 people who I can send others to. I find it fairly hard to believe that most people only know a handful of individuals.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cryptic must have a plan to **** off as many people as they can, good job guys :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I already have 5 people playing this game but I know I can send out 5 more demo passes to others I know. If they bite they bite. If not I still know more then 10 people who I can send others to. I find it fairly hard to believe that most people only know a handful of individuals.

So you're just going to keep spamming every peripheral acquaintance you have?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You can buy copies of the game for $16.00-$20.00 all over the internet. A one-month sub runs another $15.00. I'm not sure most people consider $31.00-$35.00 to be a "ton of cash." It's dinner for 2 at an average restaurant with tip. Seems like a small price to pay for something someone might enjoy for a couple of months.

I'm in college and unemployed (freelance isn't earning me TRIBBLE!). It's TONS of money! Same goes for most of my poor college friends too who live off 25 cent ramen noodles. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wrote:
    Cryptic must have a plan to **** off as many people as they can, good job guys :rolleyes:
    Why? Every subscription-based MMO out there has a similar RAF plan. I've seen more then 1 person using a Swift Zhevra in WoW. I understand they're giving away touring rockets now. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Why? Every subscription-based MMO out there has a similar RAF plan. I've seen more then 1 person using a Swift Zhevra in WoW. I understand they're giving away touring rockets now. :)

If they were rewarding with sharks with frickin' laser beams, instead...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wrote:
    So you're just going to keep spamming every peripheral acquaintance you have?
    I'm going to send emails to people I know who I think might be interested in playing. Through the years I've played a lot of MMOs and have been in a lot of Guilds (I'm currently in 6 Guilds right now). I've also made a lot of internet friends through MMO and Console gaming. There's nothing wrong with giving these people a free trial - they send them to me all the time too. If they bite great. If not nothing lost and no harm done.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'd just like to apologize here; in several other threads on this subject, I have made an error of fact, and I'm a big enough man to admit when I'm wrong.

In these threads, I've said this ship appeared for a few minutes in one episode out of 28 seasons and 11 movies. It turns out, this was factually incorrect on my part.

It actually appeared for less than one minute.

Sorry for the error.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

why is it hard to believe, everybody has different situation. some people have five hundred friends, some have ten

i probably know 2 maybe 3 people that might be interested in it because they like star trek and mmo's but because of time and financial constraints probably wont buy it let alone sub. its great that you have a little gang of people that share the same interest as you but not everybody does.

some people have small families, or work with a small group of people, or have a small group of friends. if you dont hang around that many people to begin with the chances of finding people that have a decent pc, like online games and dont hate star trek because they think its only for geeks and nerds is a tall order.

even if you do have friends that like star trek, chances are they already have played the game or you've told them about it in the last 3 months anyway

luckily for me im not that bothered by the galaxy X, but i can understand that many people want it but are in a situation where they just cant get it
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i probably know 2 maybe 3 people that might be interested in it because they like star trek and mmo's but because of time and financial constraints probably wont buy it let alone sub.
    Here's the flaw in your entire statement. You're assuming what they'll do even before you give them the opportunity to do anything. There's no harm in sending them an email and and invite. The worst they can do is say no. Let's also keep in mind that we don't have to get the Galaxy X in one month. 6 months or a year from now you might meet more friends and could get it then. It really seems like too many people are just auto-assuming that if I don't get it right away I can never get it. That's just plain wrong.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I haven't played for a while just because of the lack of endgame. I don't want to complain about that though (though probably will lol). I'm complaining about the ENDLESS freakin' rewards that go out which I have absolutely no chance of getting.

Galaxy-X? I WANT ONE! Oh wait, I have to recruit 5 people... not happening...
    Oh those other rewards look nice! Wait... lifetimers only? Us Year subs don't get anything special?
    Oh look I'd love that! I have to spend Cryptic Points?

My two favorite rewards in this game thus far have been ...

Shaka When the Walls Fell Emote. Totally free.

And the original TOS Constitution Class ship. A free bonus for buying the game from gamestop.

Coming in a close second are the Tribble of Borg (free) and the TNG Uniforms (a collector's edition free bonus).

I don't see it. There isn't much in the c-store that makes me feel bummed I don't have it. The Galaxy X is going to get overshadowed by the new T5 Intrepid and Defiant. Because Cruisers are slow and a lot of people don't like flying them.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here's the flaw in your entire statement. You're assuming what they'll do even before you give them the opportunity to do anything. There's no harm in sending them an email and and invite. The worst they can do is say no. Let's also keep in mind that we don't have to get the Galaxy X in one month. 6 months or a year from now you might meet more friends and could get it then. It really seems like too many people are just auto-assuming that if I don't get it right away I can never get it. That's just plain wrong.

thats was not really my point and whilst i assume they wont buy it, thats because being my friends i know how they think and ive already had conversation several months ago around a similar topic.

as i said below im not that bothered by it, ill wait for it to either come into the c-store/veteran reward or if not ill just never get it. im not that bothered one way or the other

but i was using myself as an example to represent other people. i also used my friends as a example because i have very good idea how they will react and probably wont buy it

the point you made was you find it hard to believe that people would not know at least 5 people, thats because you are assuming that others peoples situation mirrors your own.

ill also reiterate that even if you do have star trek fans as friends you may also have recommended them already. the chances of finding another 5 friends over the next year is still a tough ask

you do bring up a good point that it does not have to be done straight away but its still can be hard to do for some people
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm already reaching out to former guildies from other games, anyone on Facebook, and so on. I had told at least 3 people to hold off for now, stating that there were still more things to come (pre-season 1). I will most likely hold off in my efforts until Season 2 hits, then go and work my way down the list, sending keys to the emails of each gamer and trek fan.

I'm offering each one a bred buff tribble in game if they buy a 30 day sub, and of course me helping them with missions.

I don't know if I'll get 5, but I should get at least one.

Frankly, I don't even want the Galaxy X, so I will in fact be happy if it is replaced by some other exclusive... its the principal of the thing. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jnoh wrote:
    Frankly, I don't even want the Galaxy X, so I will in fact be happy if it is replaced by some other exclusive... its the principal of the thing. ;)
    I'm not that interested in Galaxy X myself. I'm far more interested in the T5 Galaxy, Defiant, and Intrepid coming out. Since those will probably be in the C-Store I know I'll be able to get my hands on them right away. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm not that interested in Galaxy X myself. I'm far more interested in the T5 Galaxy, Defiant, and Intrepid coming out. Since those will probably be in the C-Store I know I'll be able to get my hands on them right away. :)

As far as I've seen - those ships would be in game rewards. I could see where they might also put them in the C-Store - but as far as I know - they would be just like the new ships you get at each tier.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    As far as I've seen - those ships would be in game rewards. I could see where they might also put them in the C-Store - but as far as I know - they would be just like the new ships you get at each tier.

i would expect them to be in game as the tier 4 models are already in game. it would be a bit harsh to see them in c-store
This discussion has been closed.