test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Felderburg wrote: »
    I would suggest making the delta silver for at least one version, since that seems to be the trend based on TNG oval and DS9/Voy rectangle badges, as well as the All Good Things badge.

That is true. I'll see what I can come up with.

:cool:
    edited August 2010
    I am having a problem with my Formal Wear, so I won't be able to get a lot of those into the guide right away. But when the issues are resolved (unable to color male shirts or ties, female belt cloth puffs up oddly) I will add the rest.

I have matched the Vice Admiral uniform to the versions in the game, tested for lighting and taken screen shots of them. I will have those up on the guide as soon as possible, likely Monday or Tuesday.

Only 380 DXP to go for Federation Ambassador. Wish me luck.

edited August 2010
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Only 380 DXP to go for Federation Ambassador. Wish me luck.

Good luck! Though I confess I am motivated to wish you luck for selfish reasons - an awesome colour guide for the very awesome diplomat uniform!
    edited August 2010
    I was just looking at the 25th century guide (another helpful section, as usual) and I thought: why not add the "Traffic control" uniform? As I recall it's a bit whiter than normal, but it seems the people that tell you you can warp to another sector all have the same thing.
    edited August 2010
    Okay, the Vice Admiral and Diplomat uniforms have been added to the guide, everyone.

Diplomat uniforms can be found in the OP under TNG film Dress Uniforms.
    Vice Admiral uniforms can be found at the bottom of the 25th Century Uniforms.

Enjoy!

edited August 2010
    I would like to add another "thank you" to this thread. It was extremely useful when I decided to switch my crew members from TOS uniforms to the 2373 (late DS9/TNG movies) uniform, and again when I recently changed over to STO's B5 uniform. It was so useful that I bookmarked it for easy future reference.
    edited August 2010
    [Note: According to canon all Admirals wear the same color regardless of their original branch as, like Captains, they are in the Command division. So, the red Command versions would be the proper versions by canon, but since the other divisional colors can be seen in the game, I added those as well.

Although that IS the norm, I was reading about admirals on Mem Alpha earlier, and there are a few (one, maybe two) who don't wear red.

/canon nitpick.

Also, I think T'Nae's and Zelle's uniforms have a predominantly grey coloration, what do you think of that? (not meant to be snide, just curious, the way it is typed it sounds haughty or some such)
    edited August 2010
    Although that IS the norm, I was reading about admirals on Mem Alpha earlier, and there are a few (one, maybe two) who don't wear red.

/canon nitpick.

Also, I think T'Nae's and Zelle's uniforms have a predominantly grey coloration, what do you think of that? (not meant to be snide, just curious, the way it is typed it sounds haughty or some such)

I would consider those variants. I'll get around to adding them at some point.

BTW, I added a Silver Delta variant to the Lifetime badges. Let me know what you think of it.

edited August 2010
    Okay, the Vice Admiral and Diplomat uniforms have been added to the guide, everyone...
    I take it this means you made it to Federation Ambassador, congradulations!

I like the colors you did on these. I think I'll stick with my custom Diplo uni though, I've grown to like it. The main difference being that I like the WoK pants with my top. Still, you're most canon, and did a fine job!

I think I matched your VA Command 2 top already without seeing yours first... GMTA, I guess :cool: I like the red/black with the gold trim, and that's what I went with myself. I'm gonna double check the colors, but I'm sure I've got same as yours.

As usual, fine work!
    edited August 2010
    Hey, Black, I know this doesn't have much effect on your guide, since it's based on comparing and contrasting colors from the shows and movies, but I thought you may find this interesting. It seems the colors used on the canon uniforms in game on NPCs are significantly brighter than the ones in the guide. They also look like they have this weird glow about them that may contribute to it even more. Like the light source is shining directly on them.

Some screenies:

ToS shirt and rank color:
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/screenshot_2010-08-17-02-13-20.jpg

TNG red and pip color:
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/screenshot_2010-08-17-02-11-14.jpg
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/screenshot_2010-08-17-02-11-04.jpg
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/screenshot_2010-08-17-02-10-47.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I take it this means you made it to Federation Ambassador, congradulations!

I like the colors you did on these. I think I'll stick with my custom Diplo uni though, I've grown to like it. The main difference being that I like the WoK pants with my top. Still, you're most canon, and did a fine job!

I think I matched your VA Command 2 top already without seeing yours first... GMTA, I guess :cool: I like the red/black with the gold trim, and that's what I went with myself. I'm gonna double check the colors, but I'm sure I've got same as yours.

As usual, fine work!

Thank you and thank you! Your version sounds interesting too. I'd like to a screen shot if you have one.
    O_Farmer wrote:
    Hey, Black, I know this doesn't have much effect on your guide, since it's based on comparing and contrasting colors from the shows and movies, but I thought you may find this interesting. It seems the colors used on the canon uniforms in game on NPCs are significantly brighter than the ones in the guide. They also look like they have this weird glow about them that may contribute to it even more. Like the light source is shining directly on them.

Some screenies:

ToS shirt and rank color:
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/screenshot_2010-08-17-02-13-20.jpg

TNG red and pip color:
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/screenshot_2010-08-17-02-11-14.jpg
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/screenshot_2010-08-17-02-11-04.jpg
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/screenshot_2010-08-17-02-10-47.jpg

The devs unfortunately don't use my guide. From those screen shots, it would seem that they are coloring the NPC uniforms based on washed out images from google, instead of the shows themselves. If they had isntead focused on watching the shows and testing the colors against the lighting environments in the game I am sure they would have chosen the colors in the guide instead.

edited August 2010
    Thank you and thank you! Your version sounds interesting too. I'd like to a screen shot if you have one.

The devs unfortunately don't use my guide. From those screen shots, it would seem that they are coloring the NPC uniforms based on washed out images from google, instead of the shows themselves. If they had isntead focused on watching the shows and testing the colors against the lighting environments in the game I am sure they would have chosen the colors in the guide instead.

OH, don't get me wrong, I agree with your color choices, I just thought you might find it a bit interesting. What really gets me is that their color palette is so much more vibrant than ours. there are so many colors we can't recreate with our choices it's crazy. When will they learn to just give us a color wheel and be done with it!
    edited August 2010
    O_Farmer wrote:
    OH, don't get me wrong, I agree with your color choices, I just thought you might find it a bit interesting. What really gets me is that their color palette is so much more vibrant than ours. there are so many colors we can't recreate with our choices it's crazy. When will they learn to just give us a color wheel and be done with it!

Oh, I do find it interesting and also quite telling. This means that the costume creators are using images they gleamed from the internet instead of actually watching the shows and pausing when necessary to see the true details and colors being used.

If I was in charge, I would have a large screen HDTV placed where all of the costume guys and gals could see it and I would allow nothing but Trek episodes and films to be played on it constantly. If these devs are really fans of the shows they should have no problem with being made to watch Star Trek as part of their job. I know I would jump at the chance.

edited August 2010
    I was just looking at the 25th century guide (another helpful section, as usual) and I thought: why not add the "Traffic control" uniform? As I recall it's a bit whiter than normal, but it seems the people that tell you you can warp to another sector all have the same thing.

Well, I took the time going around to all of the Sector maps and take shots of all of the TCOs (Traffic Control Officers). You're right. They do all wear the same uniform. I noticed that the one in Beta Ursae/Alpha Triangulae appears to have to forgot her badge however.

I had to extrapolate for the bottom half, since you cannot see that part, but I think I did a pretty good job.

You can find the new Traffic Control Variant under the B-01 uniforms in the 25th Century section. Let me know what you think.

In addition, I've also added a third version of the Klingon Lifetime badge to the Badge section for fairness sake.

edited August 2010
    I just posted two new additions to the Klingon section.

One is based on a male outfit seen in the VOY episode Barge of the Dead. The other is based on the first appearance of the Kahless Clone in the TNG episode Rightful Heir.

Enjoy!

edited August 2010
    Nice work on the traffic control. Too bad Trill and Vulcans can't join (no headgear :( ).

Anyways, I will post a screenshot at some point, but the colors you suggested for the pants of A 02 in the 25th century guide don't seem to match what NPC crewmen wear.

I did take a shot or two at the max video settings, but most are at the recommended setting. If I don't post them, pm me a reminder in some amount of time that you feel is long enough.
    edited August 2010
    The Klingon Uniform images have been updated to account for changes to categorization and name changes of categories. These have also been uploaded at a higher resolution, which should make them easier to view.

Qapla!!

edited August 2010
    Hey Black, I've noticed what appears to be a variant on the TNG uniform in the episode Descent, Troi seems to be wearing a light blue uniform instead of the standard, more dark blue or teal science/medical uniform. I just thought you may want to check it out and assimilate it into the uniform guide :D

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYRKQJCzLcE&feature=related
    edited August 2010

Science Vessels
    Luna Class - soft canon (books, no image) - windows 2 - material 2
    Sol Class - non-canon - windows 3 - material 3
    Polaris Class - non-canon - windows 1 - material 1

I hope this helps you all.
    If anyone feels I've made any mistakes please let me know so I can correct them.
    Enjoy![/COLOR]

The Luna class does have an image, it is on the cover of the book "Sword of Damocles" and the guy who designed it has multiple images here:

http://stourangeau.deviantart.com/gallery/#U-S-S-Titan

Thought you should know and keep up the good work :)
    edited August 2010
    O_Farmer wrote:
    Hey Black, I've noticed what appears to be a variant on the TNG uniform in the episode Descent, Troi seems to be wearing a light blue uniform instead of the standard, more dark blue or teal science/medical uniform. I just thought you may want to check it out and assimilate it into the uniform guide :D

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYRKQJCzLcE&feature=related

Kool! I'll have to rewatch that episode this weekend. I always loved the Lore episodes.
    The Luna class does have an image, it is on the cover of the book "Sword of Damocles" and the guy who designed it has multiple images here:

http://stourangeau.deviantart.com/gallery/#U-S-S-Titan

Thought you should know and keep up the good work :)

Nice! Looks like I picked the right Windows and Material too.

edited August 2010
    I noticed what you picked for the Canon Sovereign material and windows is different from the movies. Personally, I like the First Contact Sovereign, but I suppose the Nemesis version would be more accurate to the timeline.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100506115823/memoryalpha/en/images/3/37/Enterprise_E_plows_into_the_Scimitar.jpg

When I judge windows, I actually judge on the shape of the escape pods more than the windows. The escape pods in the game that most closely resemble the Sovereign are either Windows option 1 or 2. 3 and 4 have square escape pods, which the Sovereign didn't have according to the picture provided.

The windows does seem to match the Sovereign though, being tall and amber.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100225045947/memoryalpha/en/images/3/30/Sovereign_class_engineering_hull_torpedo_launcher.jpg

Although in this photograph the windows are tall and blue. In which case Windows 2 would be more faithful, and the escape pods being shaped more like the Enterprise-E.

Personally, I use Windows option 2 for my Sovereign. Color-wise I use the Second-Blackest Color (first color) and Second-Whitest color (second color). No pattern, on a Material 1 hull (the secondary color blends in well with that particular hull color more than the blueish color of Material 2). Any feedback regarding a more faithful Sovereign is appreciated. :D
    edited August 2010
    Here's a mock-up of the 29th Century Uniforms. I used the TNG Film versions because I preferred the texture over the leather of the game uniforms and they're available to all. Of course, they don't have that kool asymmetrical style of the actual canon versions, but I think I got the colors right.

There has been some deliberation on what the canon designations are for these. Memory Alpha states that Blue is the Command Division Uniform, but does not account for the various Command Crew on the bridge that are wearing Red. My friends and I have decided that Captain Braxton's uniform must be a Command Variant and that Red is still the Command Division Standard in the 29th.

I threw in the Medical variant for fun. This never appeared in the shows, but extrapolating from the Science Division version, the warm white seems like a proper choice for a Medical variant.

29th Century Uniforms

Command Red
    Captain's Variant Blue
    Security/Engineering Gold
    Sciences Gray
    Medical Variant White

Let me know what you guys think. What is canon and what is not? You decide.

edited August 2010
    It got buried in the thread, and while it is a work in progress, could you add a link to your canon ship colors/windows posting?
    edited August 2010
    jennjahn wrote: »
    It got buried in the thread, and while it is a work in progress, could you add a link to your canon ship colors/windows posting?

There are links to each section in the Index at the top of the OP, for ease of use. The Canon and Non-canon Ship List is there.

edited August 2010

I finished my update to the Canon Color Guide and I posted the last of my wallpapers. You can reach them through the links in my sig. I know that this will likely be closed in moments as an "I Quit" thread (even though I am not quitting, just leaving the community) but I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for their support. Thank you!

Feel free to look me up in game some time. I'll be back in a little over a month to update the Canon Color Guide with the Alternate Future (All Good Things) uniforms. Until then...

TTFN

Exclusive means exclusive. Unique means unique. There is no time expiration implied or alluded to by the definitions of either of those words and since no mention of such a time expiration was on any of the packaging or advertisements, that is by definition False Advertising regardless of what Cryptic's Terms of Use say they can do with the game.

Anyone who knows me knows that I was a die hard fan. A devoted follower of Cryptic not only for STO but for all of their games. This devotion was to the company created by Jack Emmert and the integrity he showed in his decisions for the development of the games and how they would conduct business.

It is such integrity that has kept the CoH CE "exclusive" from becoming available to the general public. That integrity still holds with the old Cryptic team, now the developers known as Paragon Studios, who still develop CoH and CoV. It does not however hold true of Cryptic's new incarnation. And that is because Jack Emmert no longer has any control over the marketing decisions of the company.

Those are the facts as I see them.

This is my last word on the subject and my last post in this argument.
    I'm already establishing myself on other game forums.

Enjoy the game for as long as it lasts.
    Farewell.

HEY WELCOME BACK!!! Lol, sorry. I just HAD to find that post of that long goodbye. :D:D
    edited August 2010
    VoodooKing wrote:
    HEY WELCOME BACK!!! Lol, sorry. I just HAD to find that post of that long goodbye. :D:D

You didn't HAVE to do anything. But since you brought it up, I will remind you that I came back shortly thereafter to continue to update this guide because of the large number of emails I received asking me to do so. I still do not agree with what Cryptic did and I will likely never buy a game from them again, but I will continue to play STO regardless (Lifetime Sub) and I will continue to update this guide because I care about the community.

In other News:

About a week ago I was asked to add my guide to the wiki (STOWiki.org) and have since been transcribing it there. New updates will continue to appear in this thread as well though. So, no need to worry about changing your bookmarks if you don't want to.

edited August 2010
    Any feedback on the 29th Century Mock-ups?

Let me know what you guys think. These colors and designations will be used if the actual uniform is ever introduced in-game. I want to make sure that the players agree with our choices.

edited August 2010
    Any feedback on the 29th Century Mock-ups?

Let me know what you guys think. These colors and designations will be used if the actual uniform is ever introduced in-game. I want to make sure that the players agree with our choices.

They seem to fit fine to me. Though I don't recall seeing Red anywhere. I only recall Green, Brown-Orange, and Purple. Still, they look awesome, wish this was stickied.
    edited August 2010
    They seem to fit fine to me. Though I don't recall seeing Red anywhere. I only recall Green, Brown-Orange, and Purple. Still, they look awesome, wish this was stickied.

I didn't notice them at first either. One of my friends pointed them out. They are never front and center characters, always extras in the background. I thought it was an effect of the lighting on the Operations uniform at first. But after watching the Relativity episode several times in a row I found that he was right. It definitely is a different color. And since they man positions all over the bridge alongside the Operation officers, we decided that they must be Command officers.

I do wish there was a greenish-gray that matched the Sciences uniform better, but we can only work with what we have.

I wish this was stickied too, but it seems it doesn't matter what I do (ask for the title to be changed, add a disclaimer, etc.), it doesn't look like it will ever happen.

edited August 2010
    No worries though Blackavaar, your work is appreciated by the community just look at the response your getting. Thanks again. :)
This discussion has been closed.