test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Desdecardo wrote: »
    Wonders why this hasnt been stickied yet. Probably has the most posts for something useful and it not being stickied. I live by this guide. :)

It might be because the thread has his name in it? I don't think I've ever seen a thread with someone's account name in it stickied on these forums. But I could be wrong as I don't look through every little forum/sub-forum these days.
    edited August 2010
    It might be because the thread has his name in it? I don't think I've ever seen a thread with someone's account name in it stickied on these forums. But I could be wrong as I don't look through every little forum/sub-forum these days.

Suricata's Star Charts, Suricata's STO Ship Tier Chart, right at the top of this same forum. Yeah, name doesn't explain it, unless they just don't like mine.

And this isn't my account name. It's my global and forum handle.

:cool:
    edited August 2010
    Well its useful and helps any Star Trek fans that want some reasonable accuracy with the tools STO has given them for creating a costume for their character. It's inspiring to say the least!

If its not stickied I'm sure those who appreciate your efforts here can kindly keep this helpful thread up on the front page of the Academy with thankyou notes atleast.

So thankyou Blackavaar I find your efforts here useful and helpful to me in sorting out my TOS uniforms for one of my characters. I look forward to making use of them again in the future stickied or unstickied! :)
    edited August 2010
    I'm late to the party but I have to say: Thank you!

You see, I'm using TNG movie uniform since I began playing STO and I tried to make it look excatly like in the movies but I thought it always looked just a bit off. I changed to your suggestion and it's much better.

And the best part: Anyone else who uses these colors will have the exact same uniform and, in my book, that's how a uniform is supposted to be.

I also like how a lot of others were adding their views and suggestions so that now it could really be considered the canon uniform. Thank you all!
    edited August 2010
    The single era versions of the Klingon wallpapers have been added to the Klingon section. Let me know if there are any issues with them.

I found a variant Klingon uniform in a DS9 episode that was worn by Lursa and B'Etor. I will be adding that to the guide as well as soon as I match the colors properly. Other than that variant, DS9 Klingon uniforms appear to be exactly the same as the TNG versions.

edited August 2010
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    The single era versions of the Klingon wallpapers have been added to the Klingon section. Let me know if there are any issues with them.

I found a variant Klingon uniform in a DS9 episode that was worn by Lursa and B'Etor. I will be adding that to the guide as well as soon as I match the colors properly. Other than that variant, DS9 Klingon uniforms appear to be exactly the same as the TNG versions.

You are truly awesome - thanks for looking into the DS9 Klingon costuming for me!
    edited August 2010
    You are truly awesome - thanks for looking into the DS9 Klingon costuming for me!

No problem whatsoever.

edited August 2010
    Suricata's Star Charts, Suricata's STO Ship Tier Chart, right at the top of this same forum. Yeah, name doesn't explain it, unless they just don't like mine.

Ah, yeah. Then that rules out that guess. :)
    And this isn't my account name. It's my global and forum handle.[/COLOR]

It's your forum account's name. I didn't say "game" account. ;)
    edited August 2010
    It's your forum account's name. I didn't say "game" account. ;)

It's not that either, since your forum and game account use the same name :p
    edited August 2010
    I suspect it's possibly the "canon" part of the name - I'm not sure if Cryptic are allowed to call their game canon, so stickying a thread with that might be iffy? Anyway I've got it bookmarked, it's bloody handy!

Back on topic though, do you think you could help create a canon-ish feeling Veteran commbadge Bkackavaar? I need some help with it!
    edited August 2010
    Blackavatar, I'll echo the others here - fantastic job, my friend. Amazing resource.
    edited August 2010
    Matsky wrote: »
    I suspect it's possibly the "canon" part of the name - I'm not sure if Cryptic are allowed to call their game canon, so stickying a thread with that might be iffy? Anyway I've got it bookmarked, it's bloody handy!

Back on topic though, do you think you could help create a canon-ish feeling Veteran commbadge Bkackavaar? I need some help with it!

Canon-ish Veteran com badge? You mean for the Veteran uniform?

If so, since that is canon to the game and not the shows I used the 25th century default badges with the gold 2 coloring. It's the closest to matching the gold plated pieces of the Veteran jacket and it's commonly worn by NPCs in the game. Command for command, operations for operations and science for science. You can find images at the bottom of the 25th Century section.

If I am misunderstanding, please explain further and I will be glad to help.

edited August 2010
    Canon-ish Veteran com badge? You mean for the Veteran uniform?

If so, since that is canon to the game and not the shows I used the 25th century default badges with the gold 2 coloring. It's the closest to matching the gold plated pieces of the Veteran jacket and it's commonly worn by NPCs in the game. Command for command, operations for operations and science for science. You can find images at the bottom of the 25th Century section.

If I am misunderstanding, please explain further and I will be glad to help.

I think he's talking about the All Good Things 100 day combadge.
    edited August 2010
    O_Farmer wrote:

Ah yes! In that case the backfield should be gold 2 and the delta should be silver 2.

I was hoping for the AGT uniform so I could add it to the guide. Perhaps I'll have to add it sans the uniform.

edited August 2010
    Oh and we have suggested a mod change the title of the thread, if the word "canon" is really the problem.

I would be fine with changing it to something like,

"Blackavaar's Guide to Canonesque Colors"

or simply

"Blackavaar's Color Guide"

I'd change it myself if I could.

edited August 2010
    Oh and we have suggested a mod change the title of the thread, if the word "canon" is really the problem.

I would be fine with changing it to something like,

"Blackavaar's Guide to Canonesque Colors"

or simply

"Blackavaar's Color Guide"

I'd change it myself if I could.

"Blackaavar's Guide to Uniform Colors", to be more descriptive for the new folks.
    edited August 2010
    O_Farmer wrote:
    "Blackaavar's Guide to Uniform Colors", to be more descriptive for the new folks.

That would be acceptable as well.

edited August 2010
    Okay, the DS9 Female variants have been added to the Klingon section. These are both based on the same costume, but as the armored version doesn't have the cleavage cutout that it should, I made a second version with skin.

I just found another variant also worn by Lursa and B'Etor. I will be adding that as soon as I can.

Enjoy!

edited August 2010
    Yeah, changing the title might help. I have ofthen thought putting "Uniform" in the title to be important. B's G to Canonesque Uniform Colors would be great!

It's funny, earlier today, before I knew you were petitioning for a change, I independently e-mailed StormShade asking for a sticky on this thread. I pointed out to him (her?), thruthfully, that knowing the "conon colors" was one of the things that prompted me to purchase extra costume slots from the C-Store. And having this great thread Stickied might do the same for others. Like it or not Blacky 'ol Buddy, but you have (in my case at least), helped Cryptic make money. Heh.
    edited August 2010
    O_Farmer wrote:

Actually sorry guys I think I confused you guys with poor wording. I think it's actually a lifetime subscriber badge - it's the same as the 25th century "standard" badge but with laurels and points and stuff coming off it. I'm just not sure of a fitting way to colour it... Sorry for the confusion Blackavaar.
    edited August 2010
    Actually sorry guys I think I confused you guys with poor wording. I think it's actually a lifetime subscriber badge - it's the same as the 25th century "standard" badge but with laurels and points and stuff coming off it. I'm just not sure of a fitting way to colour it... Sorry for the confusion Blackavaar.

Ah, you said veteran in the post, that's why I was thinking you meant the AGT combadge.

I've used a couple of different variations on different uniforms over the months, but I only use it on my Ambassador uniform now.

The most suitable color scheme I've found is, left to right, Gold 1 Silver 1 Silver 4 and Gold 1

Here's a close up:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/LifetimeCombadge.jpg

Edit: As you can see, that's on a white uniform, it's got gold trim, so the gold and silver work well together on it.

Edit 2: I never noticed this before now, but the badge actually has a gradient texture to it, it's pretty neat looking.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/screenshot_2010-08-13-02-44-41.jpg
    edited August 2010
    That looks really good mate. Hope I'm not clogging up Blackavaars thread here but I notice that's probably on the Diplomatic Corps uniform, I'm just curious if you can display rank insignia on it as well? Do the colours come standard? If not that'd be handy to add to the list.
    edited August 2010
    That looks really good mate. Hope I'm not clogging up Blackavaars thread here but I notice that's probably on the Diplomatic Corps uniform, I'm just curious if you can display rank insignia on it as well? Do the colours come standard? If not that'd be handy to add to the list.

It does display rank, and they're the standard square pips in the standard colors. . The jacket is always white with gold trim, You get to color the horizontal trim/collar trim/cuffs with one color, and the undershirt with another.
    edited August 2010
    Since the ambassador uniform is actually a TNG-movie/late DS9 dress uniform, could we get the proper colors for that as well? :)
    edited August 2010
    Anyone had any fun yet with the new formalwear? I know I made a party dress immediately -- now I just need a party to wear it to! :)
    edited August 2010
    edited August 2010
    O_Farmer wrote:
    I've used a couple of different variations on different uniforms over the months, but I only use it on my Ambassador uniform now.

The most suitable color scheme I've found is, left to right, Gold 1 Silver 1 Silver 4 and Gold 1

Here's a close up:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/o3livi0us1/STO%20Pics/LifetimeCombadge.jpg

Funny, you use exactly the same colors as I do on version 2.

Don't worry about clogging up the thread. If you have questions about uniform bits and color feel free to pose the questions here whenever you like.
    Patarival wrote: »
    Since the ambassador uniform is actually a TNG-movie/late DS9 dress uniform, could we get the proper colors for that as well? :)

I will be adding that to the guide as soon as it becomes available to me. My main is currently at 560 DXP. So, I'll probably have access before the weekend is over.
    Anyone had any fun yet with the new formalwear? I know I made a party dress immediately -- now I just need a party to wear it to! :)

Not yet, but I plan on working on some canon versions of those. I just have to focus on watching the time travel and holodeck episodes to match the colors. I wish we had some hats. If there was a Fedora I could make Spock's and Kirk's Mobster suits from TOS.

edited August 2010
    Patarival wrote: »

Sadly, the way it's color options are currently set up it makes it impossible to recreate the uniform as seen on the shows. The captain and Admiral versions both have red trim on the cuffs with gold piping and trim on the jacket and a white undershirt. The cuffs have colors based on their department for crewman, science/medical being blue, tactical and engineering being yellow, and Command being red. The only one we can recreate is the yellow since the cuffs and piping share a color slot on the in game version.
    edited August 2010
    O_Farmer wrote:
    Sadly, the way it's color options are currently set up it makes it impossible to recreate the uniform as seen on the shows. The captain and Admiral versions both have red trim on the cuffs with gold piping and trim on the jacket and a white undershirt. The cuffs have colors based on their department for crewman, science/medical being blue, tactical and engineering being yellow, and Command being red. The only one we can recreate is the yellow since the cuffs and piping share a color slot on the in game version.

Even so, I will do the best I can with the options we have.

edited August 2010
    Funny, you use exactly the same colors as I do on version 2.

I would suggest making the delta silver for at least one version, since that seems to be the trend based on TNG oval and DS9/Voy rectangle badges, as well as the All Good Things badge.
This discussion has been closed.