Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    wwoods wrote: »
    at the MINIUMUM

I quit reading right there.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just don't understand people who are really angry here. Those must've been born with a silver spoon in their mouth and everything was always working perfect for them. If you cannot handle the game and occasional perks, go away! Play something else, a perfect game that will always do as you want.

If you ever find it... or maybe play some that will make you more miserable and return here when find out how good this game actually is!
    :p[

██ ██ ██ Unicorn Fleet ██ ██ ██
    /QUOTE]

lol @ unicorn fleet

nice one!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dukis wrote:
    /sign

In addition, since I am a professional software tester, I could even lose my job if I played on Tribble. :p:D

Hell, cryptic might just need your services......REALLY BAD
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    moordrake wrote: »
    Im an IT professsional thats on call 24/7, sometimes you just happen to be in an area with no service. Thats my story and Im sticking too it.

I feel your pain there. Seriously, I do. IT on call 24/7 is probably almost as tough as being in the "rescue business", although I think that technical emergencies might be a bit more rare and less soul-draining than, say, a massive car accident.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    moordrake wrote: »
    Im an IT professsional thats on call 24/7, sometimes you just happen to be in an area with no service. Thats my story and Im sticking too it.

Or my battery died and I left the charger at the office.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Another update from Continuum:
    Okay everyone the plan for fixing this issue has changed. Since it got worse as the day went on we upped the time table.

We've started some work on the db to prep it for the fix.
    Sometime around 6:15 (exact time to come with plenty of warnings in game) we'll be bringing the servers down for emergency maintenance.
    That'll let us run the rest of the fixes needed to solve the map transfer lag issue.
    Once the fixes are finished we'll be bringing the servers back up.

We're working hard to get other fixes ready for the same window (PvP in particular). If they aren't ready in time we may still need to do a 3am maintenance, but hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for all the feedback, we're working to get these fixes to you as fast as we can.

-Continuum

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=144608&page=23
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's just unreasonable. you cant expect that because you pay a subscription fee that games suddenly wont have any problems ever. especially newly released and recently modified ones. Reality doesnt bend to your idealistic view of I'm paying for it so it should work 24/7 with never a problem.

I do think however some compensation would be in order, maybe an in game perk, minor though it may be, or a day of game credit to our account wouldnt be unreasonable
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pasquatic wrote:
    I just heard on the radio that a herd of hamsters are running amok in Los Gatos. The police tasered a couple of them and they had Cryptic employee badges. Film at 11.

Thanks, second good laugh I had in hours :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Amarinth wrote:

thank you for the update, seems like they're getting close to finding a fix
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wwoods wrote: »
    What do I do for a living ? I am the Senior Unix Admin in a fortune 500 company...and that matters why ?

At the LEAST they could take the servers down instead of leaving up TRIBBLE performance and put op a under maint notice........at the MINIUMUM

And where I work, if something like this were to happen, BB's would be going nuts and people would be called in to work. period. no questions. We have a 24/7 staff and emergancy BB coverage.

And when your Blackberry does go buzzing off, like mine does (also being on call 24/7 - I'm the Director of IT for Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) - do you have people saying you're an idiot because a server went down? Do they claim that you're too stupid to understand how to use a phone?

No matter how high-availability your setup is, how much redundancy or disaster-recovery you have, there are ALWAYS issues. You should know that being in the industry, and you should be ashamed for immature name calling - regardless of how well they're handling a situation - it's simply not a constructive way to discuss issues - it's playground stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just don't understand people who are really angry here. Those must've been born with a silver spoon in their mouth and everything was always working perfect for them. If you cannot handle the game and occasional perks, go away! Play something else, a perfect game that will always do as you want.

If you ever find it... or maybe play some that will make you more miserable and return here when find out how good this game actually is!
    :p

Do you see that wall back there? Yes? Ok, now, just speed up, run at it like hell and ram your head into it. Thanks.

Man, I hate assumptions like these.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lasius wrote: »
    That's just unreasonable. you cant expect that because you pay a subscription fee that games suddenly wont have any problems ever. especially newly released and recently modified ones. Reality doesnt bend to your idealistic view of I'm paying for it so it should work 24/7 with never a problem.

I do think however some compensation would be in order, maybe an in game perk, minor though it may be, or a day of game credit to our account wouldnt be unreasonable

It is not unreasonable to expect something youo pay for to function correctly
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am supposed to THANK them? For what? For messing up the game with a small onslaught of mini-patches? Or for neglecting to react to countless protest by many users for hours? Or for trying to keep the show on the air, even though it's basically unuseable right now?

After reading numerous posts you've written, I feel a strong urge to share with the STO community this image I receive:

A small child lying on his/her tummy beating hands and feet in rapid succession upon the floor.

Please feel free to add me to your ignore list, as well, if ya like. I simply can't add you to mine, however...I find your behaviour extremely amusing. Not unlike my 2 year old niece when she doesn't get her bottle exactly when she wants it. :p

(Just sayin'....)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm still waiting for a map to load. Hoping I actually get to do a mission.Oh timed out. Just so everyone knows. I am able to do enemy contacts in and out with not problem I'm just in the hardest sector to do this. Bummer!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cryptic Win!

love to say that
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Woods is just saying that moving untested code to prod could get you fired even if it is accidental and moreso if it takes down the whole environment.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Patiently waiting for a fix, but better to have everything shut down so they can focus totally on it than having the servers somewhat up and unplayable.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Amarinth wrote:

Continuum, yeah! You're da man!

Our voices have been heard. They'll do emergency maintenance. So.... I can finally put my case to rest for now.

Cross your fingers people.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Let's hope it's fixed shortly.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Megaboz2K wrote: »
    And when your Blackberry does go buzzing off, like mine does (also being on call 24/7 - I'm the Director of IT for Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) - do you have people saying you're an idiot because a server went down? Do they claim that you're too stupid to understand how to use a phone?

No matter how high-availability your setup is, how much redundancy or disaster-recovery you have, there are ALWAYS issues. You should know that being in the industry, and you should be ashamed for immature name calling - regardless of how well they're handling a situation - it's simply not a constructive way to discuss issues - it's playground stuff.

I got into IT thinking I wouldnt have to deal with people. I could lock myself in the server room and forget the world even exsisted. OMG I couldnt of been so wrong !

To quote the MCP from TRON :

Keep those users out of the system and get me that Chineese language file I asked for

--- END OF LINE ---
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Webco wrote: »
    Tiger Woods?

Our wives are beating us with golf clubs? I miss the memo?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey All,

6:00PM Update: Per Continuum:

We're working hard to get other fixes ready for the same window (PvP in particular). If they aren't ready in time we may still need to do a 3am maintenance, but hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone.
    the birds are dead, jim
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Megaboz2K wrote: »

When my BB goes buzzing because something like this happens I have the CIO calling me withing hours wanting to know WTF happened and what I am doing to fix it.

We have full staff, 24/7 365 a year as well as on call people. We have a full Prod setup, as well as a almost identical Test and QA....these issues just are not allowed to escape QA, period, no questions.

We also dont test a patch for a week and then bless it, before ANYTHING goes live there is at least a month of QA testing, prior to that there is a line by line code review.

Before it hits prod. the Senior Unix Admin (me) has to approve, the Senior Developer has to approve as well as the Lead QA.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2457971#post2457971
    "6:00PM Update: Per Continuum:

Okay everyone the plan for fixing this issue has changed. Since it got worse as the day went on we upped the time table.

Sometime around 6:15 (exact time to come with plenty of warnings in game) we'll be bringing the servers down for emergency maintenance.
    That'll let us run the rest of the fixes needed to solve the map transfer lag issue.

We're working hard to get other fixes ready for the same window (PvP in particular). If they aren't ready in time we may still need to do a 3am maintenance, but hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone."
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've been playing MMO's since 99 and have experianced many "outages" like this. TRIBBLE happens, it sucks I know. Cryptic has been doing a fine job in my book, except for not being able to have seperate chat windows. hehehe, I digress.

I laugh at those who get all ****y about paying for something and it's not delivered... C'Mon folks, if you didn't get your paper delivery in the morning would you actualy kill him? If you call the newspaper Co, they usually send out someone to give you one. Allbe it a bit late... You will still get your paper.

Just be happy they are informing us.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    At the moment this game is virtually unplayable so the servers might as well be closed until the problems are fixed. I'll be spewing if theres a dodgy quick fix today and then the servers are still brought down for 3hrs in Aussie Primetime tonight (4th night running) . Shut the servers, fix the problems and let the Australian working class have 1 night of STO over the weekend before we start our working week.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey All,

We are actively troubleshooting the issues surrounding lag and map transfers.

Our hope is to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. I will update this thread once there is a resolution.

5:30PM Update: We may have a plan. Currently it is in the process of being sanity checked. There is a high likelihood that there will be a brief maintenance to resolve this issue.

6:00PM Update: Per Continuum:

so if i read this corectly the laging / transfering char loading bug is not related to the pvp bug?
    and u are trying to fix it with as soon as posible but there is a chance we wil have to deal with a maintenance for the pvp stuff at normal patching hours wich wil be fairly mid day in europe not to mention top hours down under.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Amarinth wrote:

Thank you for the update..

The Truth never hurt anyone - we just don't like to hear it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Gonkulor wrote: »
    I've been playing MMO's since 99 and have experianced many "outages" like this. TRIBBLE happens, it sucks I know. Cryptic has been doing a fine job in my book, except for not being able to have seperate chat windows. hehehe, I digress.

I laugh at those who get all ****y about paying for something and it's not delivered... C'Mon folks, if you didn't get your paper delivery in the morning would you actualy kill him? If you call the newspaper Co, they usually send out someone to give you one. Allbe it a bit late... You will still get your paper.

Just be happy they are informing us.

If I dont get my paper, I call and complain.......If I am paying for something, I expect it to be right. I dont care what it is, or what it costs
This discussion has been closed.