test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Saturday Lag/Map Transfer Issues

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Ehh. I'll wait until it's fixed to log back on. No sense on wasting a beautiful Saturday evening hoping for a patch that will be applied at 5AM Local Time.

Patience everyone. The game is not even two months old live. It'll take some time to iron out everything.

Sorry, but basically they had most things,as far as I could tell, "ironed out" - until Season 1 was released.
    And while I can understand that today's problem seems to come from some bit of patch that was released prematurely, it just goes to show that in essence, despite enhancing the content, Cryptic went backwards server-functionality wise by several weeks.

And I'm really more angered by the fact that they intend to wait this out until they can do their "regular" maintenance, once again on the back of the EU-timezoners, instead of pulling the plug now, since noone can really do anything anyway.
    edited March 2010
    Palmera wrote:
    ok honestly my alt cant do any missions cause she is stuck on loading screens. now my main cant do his bloody dailies because crypic doesnt want to fix the matter til sunday!!!

very interesting i say!

Sat. and Sun are the biggest days for any online game. They expect not to have and problems on these days?

This game runs 24/7 we can and should expect good service when something like this happens. This will cost them accounts if they don't fix theses kinds of things on peak days. It will be next week before I have another whole day to pay. I was close to reaching admiral. I will be disappointed if they don't at least try to fix this now!
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey All,

We are actively troubleshooting the issues surrounding lag and map transfers.

Our hope is to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. I will update this thread once there is a resolution.

At least I got to play for a bit at work today. Hope it's resolved soon though really anxious to play my BG 5.
    edited March 2010
    Sorry, but basically they had most things,as far as I could tell, "ironed out" - until Season 1 was released.
    And while I can understand that today's problem seems to come from some bit of patch that was released prematurely, it just goes to show that in essence, despite enhancing the content, Cryptic went backwards server-functionality wise by several weeks.

And I'm really more angered by the fact that they intend to wait this out until they can do their "regular" maintenance, once again on the back of the EU-timezoners, instead of pulling the plug now, since noone can really do anything anyway.

They can't do their maintenence until they have a fix ready to go: the terminology used at the start of this thread implied that they did not yet have a fix ready, i'm sure they'll pull down the servers as soon as they have one working. Of course, they'll take their time testing this one: it could be VERY embarassing otherwise
    edited March 2010
    they need to rename this game lost in space :D
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey All,

We are actively troubleshooting the issues surrounding lag and map transfers.

Our hope is to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. I will update this thread once there is a resolution.

I know you're busting your butts fixing this. I want you to know I appreciate all your hard work! Lots of love, keep up the good job! I'll be really happy to get back into game when you are! Here's a cold beer, waiting for you!
    edited March 2010
    If the server is down all day we should expect more than apologies and excuses.

How about some action?
    edited March 2010
    So......

We are sitting here in our offices because we really have no fscking clue whats wrong, and ya know what...

we have your sub fees, so WE DONT CARE EITHER...

oh BTW, thanks you lifers.....

Love craptic

• S U C K E R S
    edited March 2010
    cmdrshran wrote: »
    They can't do their maintenence until they have a fix ready to go: the terminology used at the start of this thread implied that they did not yet have a fix ready, i'm sure they'll pull down the servers as soon as they have one working. Of course, they'll take their time testing this one: it could be VERY embarassing otherwise

I dount they test anything
    edited March 2010
    STYXTRIBE wrote:
    If the server is down all day we should expect more than apologies and excuses.

How about some action?

Seeing as there's only been 3? cryptic representatives posting, i would assume that everyone else is working very hard on a fix for this. Continuum has spoken multiple times about in other threads about how a large portion of the staff (including zinc himself) is working on this
    edited March 2010

I understand that, but please, understand me: what's the point in keeping the server up if noone can do anything apart from chatting?

Plus I speculate that checking the network for problems might work out a bit better if the game is not "live".

Lastly, I hope somehow that maybe when the dust settles everything will be back to working order a bit earlier than is currently indicated by the given maintenance time.
    edited March 2010
    Seeing as there's only been 3? cryptic representatives posting, i would assume that everyone else is working very hard on a fix for this. Continuum has spoken multiple times about in other threads about how a large portion of the staff (including zinc himself) is working on this

Ya know....I hope someone gets their TRIBBLE fired over this, on the spot. He deservs to loose his job, idiot dev doesnt deserve to have a job after this
    edited March 2010
    star trek offline
    edited March 2010
    Please list the server status as down. This is pointless until fixed and one can actually move past the character select screen. Thank you for working this issue.
    edited March 2010
    Thank you for finally sending out some "official" information. What's most frustrating for me throughout all this isn't that the servers are down or have problems. The patch was huge (1.5GB?) and hiccups are expected. It's that when the problems occurred, it seemed like nobody from Cryptic truly acknowledged the problem. There was a thread about people being stuck in the character loading page and "server not responding" page yesterday...17 pages of responses last I checked! So, it wasn't some kind of isolated case. Yet, there was nothing in terms of a real, visible response (sticky perhaps?). How could they have missed it? If someone had just said "it is a problem and we're looking into it", made it easily visible to all the players, then I would have been more understanding. In any case, I am glad to see that this is finally being actively worked on and hope for a quick resolution.
    edited March 2010
    wwoods wrote: »
    Ya know....I hope someone gets their TRIBBLE fired over this, on the spot. He deservs to loose his job, idiot dev doesnt deserve to have a job after this

You are an idiot..........

Wish they had Forum ignore.......
    edited March 2010
    I understand that, but please, understand me: what's the point in keeping the server up if noone can do anything apart from chatting?

Plus I speculate that checking the network for problems might work out a bit better if the game is not "live".

Lastly, I hope somehow that maybe when the dust settles everything will be back to working order a bit earlier than is currently indicated by the given maintenance time.

I do agree with this, but i guess some people do enjoy chatting with fleet mates or roleplaying in social areas; so while there is a reasonable population still enjoying the game and while it is not necessary to pull the servers, they'll probably keep them up. This is just speculation though; i have no hard figures to back it up
    edited March 2010
    Vultan wrote: »

Why is that, the lame dev who allowed this to happen should be fired. Any compitent company would not keep someone who causes a issue like this
    edited March 2010

I wouldn't go that far, even though this kind of vengeful thought had crossed my mind as well by now.

I think however a few extra shifts of work or a little holiday cut might do the trick.
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't go that far, even though this kind of vengeful thought had crossed my mind as well by now.

I think however a few extra shifts of work or a little holiday cut might do the trick.

Nope....should loose job period, on the spot, shown the door right then and there.
    edited March 2010
    Omnifox wrote: »
    Few Dev posts regarding these issues:

1.) Regarding, Rollbacks and whats going on:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2455670&postcount=197

2.) What they are currently doing about it:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2455670&postcount=197

3.) What caused this:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2455168#post2455168

I hope these posts help you, I know the whole team that's in the office is scrambling to fix this. It IS a huge problem, and you KNOW they are not taking this sitting down. As much as the trolls would like you to belive that Cryptic doesn't care about the issue, rest assured that they ARE working on it, ARE willing to say, oops we messed up.

In my experience this is bad, but is being handled very well, and as fast as they can. Not everyone's "OMG TIHZ BROKENZ" post will be able to get a Dev reply, due to everyone is working on FIXING the issue.

I thank you for your time.

FIXED

Those links are all about the PVP de-level issue. Personally I don't give a flying **** about that issue as I CAN'T GET OFF THE EARTH SPACESTATION without timing out at the "LOADING..." window and sent back to the login screen. When looking at issue priority I'd think people unable to login "Stuck at retriving characters" or people stuck in one zone unable to transfer maps from ground to space making the game unplayable would trump character issues. While it sux you lost a level what does it matter if you can't play anyhow? Devs reach in deep grab both ears and pull.
    edited March 2010

To add someone to your ignore list, click on their name -> View Public Profile -> (on the right) add user to ignore list.
    edited March 2010

He's merely angry. As am I, though I would prefer a different course of action, as I already mentioned.
    edited March 2010
    Fail

10chars
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for posting.

If the launcher and website said something other than "Server Up" people may be less upset. Perhaps better status would soothe the nerves a bit.

Agreed....at least have the courage and take the system offline, this "online" isn't fooling anyone.
    edited March 2010
    So......

We are blah blah blah blah, etc.

it's like they're all working from the same step-by-step "My First Troll" manual, by Fisher Price. :D
    edited March 2010
    Always makes me laugh reading forums like these haha

Come on guys and gals moaning not going to speed things up theres a problem they trying to fix it end of.

I have played many mmo's in my time and if im being honest this is probably the best one for lack of problems I have come accross, I've not been here since day 1 but near enough and this is the first time there has been a connection problem outside the scheduled mentainence since I been here.

Surely there is something else that you could be doing to keep you going :D
    edited March 2010
    mavgeek wrote: »
    Fail

10chars

or also known as Welcome to Star Trek Offline....again
    edited March 2010
    Thank you for finally sending out some "official" information. What's most frustrating for me throughout all this isn't that the servers are down or have problems. The patch was huge (1.5GB?) and hiccups are expected. It's that when the problems occurred, it seemed like nobody from Cryptic truly acknowledged the problem. There was a thread about people being stuck in the character loading page and "server not responding" page yesterday...17 pages of responses last I checked! So, it wasn't some kind of isolated case. Yet, there was nothing in terms of a real, visible response (sticky perhaps?). How could they have missed it? If someone had just said "it is a problem and we're looking into it", made it easily visible to all the players, then I would have been more understanding. In any case, I am glad to see that this is finally being actively worked on and hope for a quick resolution.

Being a Saturday night and all, I would think it likely that there was probably only a small team of "maintainers" on duty when the servers began to giggle. Running the recall roster and getting all the prime-time dev team gathered up and back in the office from whatever four-winds they had scattered to for the weekend probably took a bit of doing and could account for the long delay to get started on fixing this.
    edited March 2010
    All it needs is for someone to make the decision, take the servers offline from public, until such time as they either determine the cause. Post a note to that effect and people would actually be more 'understanding', rather than being presented with current screens which indicate all is well, only to be constantly hit with the frustration of things not working.

To be honest, putting a major patch/update live just before weekend is silly, as this is when most people are active, and also when least support personnel are available. Whilst most of those available just now are more than likely investigating/developing/updating - it doesn't take much for a single point of contact to be determined that can provide 10 minute updates to a community, which at this point already is quite large.

Surely you have a heirarchy and management structure which supports escalation, get the managers to post updates and at least provide some semblance of action being taken other than 'it's being looked into'
This discussion has been closed.