What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Saturday Lag/Map Transfer Issues

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    When does the daylight savings changes come into affect for you guys? Most of the clocks in the UK are already +1 hour now, so how does this affect the fix time/patch times?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cryptic, Ive ragged on you guys about some of the features I had expected missing from the patch - but I wont rag on you about this, good luck in fixing the issues I know how much this stinks on your end and glad you are on it trying to fix it!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wwoods wrote: »
    When my BB goes buzzing because something like this happens I have the CIO calling me withing hours wanting to know WTF happened and what I am doing to fix it.

Again though, does he call you too stupid to know how to use a phone if you make a mistake? Maybe he does, in which case I feel bad that you work for such a place. I work in an environment where mistakes mean possible harm to people, and I still don't get that kind of treatment - when there are issues, everyone just wants to solve them as quickly as possible, not insult each other.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Gonkulor wrote: »
    I've been playing MMO's since 99 and have experianced many "outages" like this. TRIBBLE happens, it sucks I know. Cryptic has been doing a fine job in my book, except for not being able to have seperate chat windows. hehehe, I digress.

I laugh at those who get all ****y about paying for something and it's not delivered... C'Mon folks, if you didn't get your paper delivery in the morning would you actualy kill him? If you call the newspaper Co, they usually send out someone to give you one. Allbe it a bit late... You will still get your paper.

Just be happy they are informing us.

Very true. Yes it is best when paying for something that it works effecently but yeah Sh*t happens and you can do one of two things give up and quit paying or realize that this is life, things dont go the way you want them to, problems happen, people make mistakes and they get fixed. Most of the time :P, anyway Thank you cryptic for the update and hopefuly things will be fixed later in the evening. If not well you are working on it to the best of your ability , no thats not saying anything negative. Saying that they are doing all they can, so use what patience you have(all you fuming people) go enjoy the outside world for a bit and come back later
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jundak wrote: »
    After reading numerous posts you've written, I feel a strong urge to share with the STO community this image I receive:

A small child lying on his/her tummy beating hands and feet in rapid succession upon the floor.

Please feel free to add me to your ignore list, as well, if ya like. I simply can't add you to mine, however...I find your behaviour extremely amusing. Not unlike my 2 year old niece when she doesn't get her bottle exactly when she wants it. :p

(Just sayin'....)

Even though I feel the super-strong urge to really put you on ignore, I find you to be upsetting me to such a stupendous degree that I actually am intrigued by you, as well as your completely wrong picture of me.

Give my regards to your niece. Honestly.

... excuse me now please, gotta get back on the ground beating it up some more before I will ease off my mind with an episode of "Timmy Time".

(actually, looking for some Shaun or Timmy now really is a good idea - thanks again) :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Understood Wwoods, it's your right and they need to hear it. I'm talking about the ranting which goes on and on, and on.... and on more from some.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If I dont get my paper, I call and complain.......If I am paying for something, I expect it to be right. I dont care what it is, or what it costs

If they wernt working to fix it for the last several hours, then you would have somthing to complain about. Ever have to take your car to the dealer for anything......you dont sue the car manufacturer cause somthing broke, you let the people with the proper skills fix it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Megaboz2K wrote: »
    Again though, does he call you too stupid to know how to use a phone if you make a mistake? Maybe he does, in which case I feel bad that you work for such a place. I work in an environment where mistakes mean possible harm to people, and I still don't get that kind of treatment - when there are issues, everyone just wants to solve them as quickly as possible, not insult each other.

I work in a enviroment where down time means millions of dollars a hr......if I worked in a enviroment where mistakes harm people the dev would be fired also. Simple

Where I work pays well, and expects a lot. Nothing wrong with that
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It is not unreasonable to expect something youo pay for to function correctly

However, it IS unreasonable to expect an online service with multiple variables to always be available. It's not like you're buying a lamp. You're buying something that's constantly being modified. It's unreasonable to expect that an ongoing service will provide 100% perfection of availability. That's like expecting that you'll never have a defective item come out of a manufacturing plant, or an item damaged in shipping, ect ect ect... Even when you're buying physical goods, you occasionally get a bad one and either return it or exchange it. Something that folks expect to happen once in a while.

It's also unreasonable to expect tech guys to immediately know what a particular problem is the moment it happens. No different than a car breaking down, it requires troubleshooting first. Then planning as to the best way to fix it. Then getting the tools out, and taking the engine apart, replacing the broken piece, and putting it all back together. Sometimes you just have to tighten a TRIBBLE. Sometimes you have to take the whole dang thing apart to find it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    so if i read this corectly the laging / transfering char loading bug is not related to the pvp bug?
    and u are trying to fix it with as soon as posible but there is a chance we wil have to deal with a maintenance for the pvp stuff at normal patching hours wich wil be fairly mid day in europe not to mention top hours down under.

Yup, that seems to be the plan pretty much. Well, at least they are about to fix the immediate issue - as for the wonderful time placement of the "regular" maintenance, well, guess there's not much that can be done about it except sit and wait once more.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Now we know why online MMO's never post a phone number :P
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MrFI wrote:
    When does the daylight savings changes come into affect for you guys? Most of the clocks in the UK are already +1 hour now, so how does this affect the fix time/patch times?

Since the US are already on "summer time" since about a week ago, their time table will not be affected.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    moordrake wrote: »
    If they wernt working to fix it for the last several hours, then you would have somthing to complain about. Ever have to take your car to the dealer for anything......you dont sue the car manufacturer cause somthing broke, you let the people with the proper skills fix it.

Matter of fact, just got my Jeep out of the dealership from a repair. It was a defect in the right drum, and they said it was not a defect, it was "normal wear".

I threatened to sue, went as far as to have a lawyer write a letter to them, the dealership and anybody and the mechanic who certified the vehicle.

Shock of shock, they decided it was a defect, repaired it for free and gave me a loaner untill the work was done.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    O btw cryptic, I would like to point you a race from EVE called the mimatar they have some EXCELLENT skills when it comes to duct tape.

beside that hope it is fixed when i whake up.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Since the US are already on "summer time" since about a week ago, their time table will not be affected.
    Thanks, just not sure how/when you guys change things ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MrFI wrote:

It confused the moderators too for a while
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    vampir wrote:
    Now we know why online MMO's never post a phone number :P

want their phone number :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MrFI wrote:

Were not really sure either, we just kind of roll with it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Liandras wrote:
    O btw cryptic, I would like to point you a race from EVE called the mimatar they have some EXCELLENT skills when it comes to duct tape.

THAT made me LOL....I am a 3 year vet of eve, my main is a mimatar ........

and gotta say it, much as I hate the Goons....good on ya for pounding BoB
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Liandras wrote:

Little men running in space suits, ramrods in hand to prepare for the next volley of arty, 4TW!!

Edit* I've played 5 years myself
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MrFI wrote:

Well according to: http://24timezones.com/usa_time/ca_santa_clara/los_gatos.htm
    their DST already started earlier this month, so the maintenance times are unaffected in PDT.

It's just our clocks that go forward by an hour, so whatever happens the maintenance will end an hour later for us than it would have if we'd not had DST starting today...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    On a related note, as I have mentioned looking for it now, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UITnDatP0W8

Somehow I like that little guy.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the info and hard work guys!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey All,

We are actively troubleshooting the issues surrounding lag and map transfers.

Our hope is to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. I will update this thread once there is a resolution.

5:30PM Update: We may have a plan. Currently it is in the process of being sanity checked. There is a high likelihood that there will be a brief maintenance to resolve this issue.

6:00PM Update: Per Continuum:

Okay everyone the plan for fixing this issue has changed. Since it got worse as the day went on we upped the time table.

We've started some work on the db to prep it for the fix.
    Sometime around 6:15 (exact time to come with plenty of warnings in game) we'll be bringing the servers down for emergency maintenance.
    That'll let us run the rest of the fixes needed to solve the map transfer lag issue.
    Once the fixes are finished we'll be bringing the servers back up.

We're working hard to get other fixes ready for the same window (PvP in particular). If they aren't ready in time we may still need to do a 3am maintenance, but hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone.

6:15PM Update:
    We will be performing a brief maintenance period within the next few minutes. The servers will be offline momentarily while we apply a fix.
    Thanks for keeping us apprised of the situation. :)

(*hands a 10 kg. block of Jimbalian Fudge to GM_Destra :eek:*) Your thoughtfulness is very much appreciated. (*peck on the cheek*)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its just one of those MMO things... I am good . I just got done writing the Next Rodo Report. I guess I could go source some stuff to polish it up with.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    still borked?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    still borked?

according to the latset updates: about to be fixed!!
This discussion has been closed.