test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What to do if you get stuck

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Hey, everyone!

Below is a guide to the many ways you can free yourself or work around issues in the event you get stuck. These options are designed to allow you to help yourself without having to wait in line for a GM to help you. This is not only faster for you, but these tools are what we will normally recommend first if you do get stuck. There are a few different scenarios in which you can get "stuck", and they have slightly different workarounds.

General self-help options
/stuck: Type this in the chat window, like any other slash-command, and press enter. The game will move you to a nearby safe location. Works only once.
Abort mission/Warp to Sector/Ripcord: This is the icon on the upper-left corner of your mini-map. It will be grayed out if it is unavailable. It is unavailable on sector maps and when you are in combat.
Change Instance: This is available on public maps only. Open your map by pressing M, and click the "Change Instance" button.
/killme: This is currently BUGGED. I cannot stress this enough. It opens the normal Stuck ticket interface, but most of the time you can't actually submit a GM ticket. It closes the window and silently fails to submit the ticket. Please don't use this until it gets fixed.

Physically stuck
Let's say you got stuck in a rock, wandered through a hole in some geometry and can't get out, fell through the floor, etc. Maybe you flew out of a map and are now in an endless field of blue. You are physically stuck in the landscape and can't move, or can only move in limited ways. /stuck will generally help with this.

• Try /stuck: This will nudge you a few feet, or respawn you if you're outside the map boundaries. It's a great first step, but remember it only nudges you once.
  • Abort mission/Warp to Sector: This will return you to the last public map you were on, generally the nearby Sector map. If you leave and come right back, you may not lose any progress, but it depends on the map and the mission. When returning to your mission map you should respawn at a spawn point, instead of where you got stuck.
  • Change Instance: This works on public maps only. Open your Map (press M) and click the "Change Instance" button.

Something in a mission broke, blocking progress
Maybe the last diplomat or prisoner refuses to be rescued. Maybe only 4/5 clickies are working. Maybe Admiral Zelle is being unhelpful and not transforming for you. Perhaps an NPC you need has gotten killed or despawned, or something else has broken the mission. If this happens, leaving the mission, allowing the instance to reset, and coming back normally fixes it. If you leave for 15 minutes, your mission will be reset upon your return. This is often faster than waiting in line for GM help.
  • Abort mission/Warp to Sector: Leave the mission map you're on, wait a few minutes (15 is best), and come back. In most cases, you will lost progress on only the last portion of the mission. This will fix the vast majority of issues you might run into with missions.

Bridge officers/NPCs have gotten stuck or fallen through the ground
Sometimes your Bridge Officers will manage to go places where you are unable to free them, and may get left behind. Sometimes, there may be unexpected holes in the ground which they can fall into. The same hazards which can trip up your highly trained Bridge Officers can also affect enemies and NPCs, and the same workaround applies.
  • Abort mission/Warp to Sector: If an NPC falls through a map or gets stuck and can't be nudged or shepherded on, simply leave the map and load back in. In the case of an NPC which has fallen through the map, allow the map to reset after 15 minutes.

Can't load into the game at all/hang on loading screens
While we are currently investigating exactly what causes this, the workaround we have found helps most players. It involves accessing the Video Options and lowering the World Detail Level setting. We're working to create more robust self-help options in cases like this.

Lowering your video settings if you can't log into the game:
  • Open the launcher and log in.
  • On the Character Selection screen, click "Log Out".
  • Click the Options button on the right side of the screen.
  • On the Video tab, under Advanced options, lower the World Detail Level setting.
  • Log back in, and load into the game.
  • You may increase the World Detail Level setting slightly, but keep it relatively low.

I hope you have found the above workarounds helpful. Our goal is to make sure that you have options available to resolve minor issues and get you back in the game quickly.

Litana
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Thank you!! This will actually be very helpful.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Last night I got stuck in the geometry in the mission Ghost Ship. And I was stuck: unable to move, unable to fire on enemies.

Solution: (Ramming Speed + full engine power + turning) actually unstuck me. Good thing too, since I only had one portal left to kill.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    this should be posted in the other forums for sticky...

kind of wish i read this post earlier, as i got stuck in a nav buoy.
    luckily i had mostly beam weapons was able to kill all the enemies around me so that i could warp out of sector and re-enter the mission without skipping a beat.

interesting thing to note, i was able to shoot at the enemies, while they were not able to attack me...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    GM_Litana wrote:
    Hey, everyone!

Below is a guide to the many ways you can free yourself or work around issues in the event you get stuck. These options are designed to allow you to help yourself without having to wait in line for a GM to help you. This is not only faster for you, but these tools are what we will normally recommend first if you do get stuck. There are a few different scenarios in which you can get "stuck", and they have slightly different workarounds.

/stuck: Type this in the chat window, like any other slash-command, and press enter. The game will move you to a nearby safe location. Works only once.
    Abort mission/Warp to Sector/Ripcord: This is the icon on the upper-left corner of your mini-map. It will be grayed out if it is unavailable. It is unavailable on sector maps and when you are in combat.
    Change Instance: This is available on public maps only. Open your map by pressing M, and click the "Change Instance" button.
    /killme: This is currently BUGGED. I cannot stress this enough. It opens the normal Stuck ticket interface, but most of the time you can't actually submit a GM ticket. It closes the window and silently fails to submit the ticket. Please don't use this until it gets fixed.

Physically stuck
    Let's say you got stuck in a rock, wandered through a hole in some geometry and can't get out, fell through the floor, etc. Maybe you flew out of a map and are now in an endless field of blue. You are physically stuck in the landscape and can't move, or can only move in limited ways. /stuck will generally help with this.

• Try /stuck: This will nudge you a few feet, or respawn you if you're outside the map boundaries. It's a great first step, but remember it only nudges you once.
    • Abort mission/Warp to Sector: This will return you to the last public map you were on, generally the nearby Sector map. If you leave and come right back, you may not lose any progress, but it depends on the map and the mission. When returning to your mission map you should respawn at a spawn point, instead of where you got stuck.
    • Change Instance: This works on public maps only. Open your Map (press M) and click the "Change Instance" button.

Maybe the last diplomat or prisoner refuses to be rescued. Maybe only 4/5 clickies are working. Maybe Admiral Zelle is being unhelpful and not transforming for you. Perhaps an NPC you need has gotten killed or despawned, or something else has broken the mission. If this happens, leaving the mission, allowing the instance to reset, and coming back normally fixes it. If you leave for 15 minutes, your mission will be reset upon your return. This is often faster than waiting in line for GM help.
    • Abort mission/Warp to Sector: Leave the mission map you're on, wait a few minutes (15 is best), and come back. In most cases, you will lost progress on only the last portion of the mission. This will fix the vast majority of issues you might run into with missions.

Sometimes your Bridge Officers will manage to go places where you are unable to free them, and may get left behind. Sometimes, there may be unexpected holes in the ground which they can fall into. The same hazards which can trip up your highly trained Bridge Officers can also affect enemies and NPCs, and the same workaround applies.
    • Abort mission/Warp to Sector: If an NPC falls through a map or gets stuck and can't be nudged or shepherded on, simply leave the map and load back in. In the case of an NPC which has fallen through the map, allow the map to reset after 15 minutes.

While we are currently investigating exactly what causes this, the workaround we have found helps most players. It involves accessing the Video Options and lowering the World Detail Level setting. We're working to create more robust self-help options in cases like this.

• On the Video tab, under Advanced options, lower the World Detail Level setting.
    • You may increase the World Detail Level setting slightly, but keep it relatively low.

I hope you have found the above workarounds helpful. Our goal is to make sure that you have options available to resolve minor issues and get you back in the game quickly.

Litana

Great 'what to do when your game is so bugged you cant play' guide.

Rather than take the time to do this many game developers would just fix the bugs instead. Good to see Cryptic doesn't take this old fashioned approach.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am currently on the mission Trapped; where I had to go to the NGC 1218 system and scan debris. I just completed my last scan and suddenly I was sucked into the debris I was scanning and I cannot get out! I think some anomoly was pulling me to it but the debris got in the way first.

Now, I have followed your tips and tried the following commands:
    /stuck
    /killme

Neither of those commands worked. I am STILL stuck in this forsaken debris. When I try the /Killme commnad, everything is grey out and will NOT let me choose to Change Instance, Abort Mission, Or Submit a Ticket.

Please teleport my vessel the heck out of this debris. How many more days do I have to wait?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thailzar wrote: »
    I am currently on the mission Trapped; where I had to go to the NGC 1218 system and scan debris. I just completed my last scan and suddenly I was sucked into the debris I was scanning and I cannot get out! I think some anomoly was pulling me to it but the debris got in the way first.

Now, I have followed your tips and tried the following commands:
    /stuck
    /killme

Neither of those commands worked. I am STILL stuck in this forsaken debris. When I try the /Killme commnad, everything is grey out and will NOT let me choose to Change Instance, Abort Mission, Or Submit a Ticket.

Please teleport my vessel the heck out of this debris. How many more days do I have to wait?

I am in the same mission and stuck.... ugh
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeach wrote: »
    I am in the same mission and stuck.... ugh

Same mission, same problem.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Narien wrote:
    Same mission, same problem.

Same mission, same problem.... :confused:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you use abandon ship, you tend to respawn elsewhere ;)
    Just a suggestion. If you're in space, this is usually a successful last resort.
    (good when you find a wierd spot in an asteroid and cant get out lol)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    what about getting stuck while zoning which has been happening heaps lately, if ur unsure what i mean the load bar goes across .25 of the page stops and then the lovely red letters of the server has stopped responding, 4 times today I've had to use ctrl-alt delete to shut the game down and then wait another 30 minutes when i log back in to get my character select screen up
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I keep getting stuck in a way that is not represented here..

It only happens when I am on a Ground Mission of some kind... Both PvP and PvE missions. I find myself unable to move forward or turn. I can continue to fire, but the firing graphics no longer work properly. I can exit, or abort the mission, but then I have to start from the beginning again.

What's it going to take to fix this issue?

It is very tiring, especially on longer missions.

- Daniel
    GM_Litana wrote:
    Hey, everyone!

Physically stuck

Litana
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Uhhm,

This is broken still. The /stuck command I mean.

I tried on on 2 characters and when I type /stuck it says that its disabled and suggest that I use /killme which does what you said above.

/stuck does nothing for me when I'm stuck :(
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Several times now, when invited to a Klingon Bridge I have got stuck inside the bulkhead. The "/stuck" command did nothing. I couldn't abort anything, and the option to "beam up" was greyed out. And curiously I didn't show up as being on their bridge so the other Captain couldn't even kick me... All I could do was exit the game completely wait for 10 minutes then log back in. Then I found myself back where I originally was, as though I had never tried to visit someone's Bridge.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have a ground based mission where I'm stuck as well, and I just spent the last hour working on it and got stuck RIGHT as I was fighting through the last group of Klingons.

The mission is The Doomsday Device, in the Torpedo Takeover scenario. I can literally see the last weapon I need to deal with sitting right in front of me.

I wish I had the ability to open a console session and note the exact location I'm at.

These are the times when I miss working at Microsoft...I could just pull up a console on a debug build, mark it and send it off to get a fix :(

Then MapSpider the heck out of the map to find any other spots.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I keep getting stuck in a way that is not represented here..

It only happens when I am on a Ground Mission of some kind... Both PvP and PvE missions. I find myself unable to move forward or turn. I can continue to fire, but the firing graphics no longer work properly. I can exit, or abort the mission, but then I have to start from the beginning again.

I too have this happen quite often, and I know it has to do with what the devs call 'spamming the keys', meaning to rapidly fire and using your special powers as fast as possible (I know, why would anyone do that?).

Being an Engineer, and loving to lay down the turrets, I have it happen semi-often, and find that to avoid it, I simply need to move slightly between the placements of each turrets, firing of weapons and any of the other 'key spamming'. I really have to think to do this on every mission otherwise the old beam out and back in is the only workaround. I've also opened multiple help tickets, including a "I'll wait here in the hallway of my latest mission for a GM for over an hour before I got bored and quit" and am starting to get really annoyed that it can't make a patch list, while such non-important things like 'new clothes and badges' continually does.
    /B2
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, the lack of a working /stuck command just lead to the loss of 2 hours of work put into The Big Dig by myself and my team. All of us definitely are frustrated by this. It doesn't help when you don't have the ability to get out of physical object, and then the other suggestion by the "help" box (which is poorly named, as it isn't helpful) is to change instances, which results in the LOSS OF YOUR PROGRESS. Well, so much for being a 'suggestion'. You might as well just suggest people log out, too.

In short, if you get stuck, you're majorly screwed, at least until Cryptic does something to give you workable options. I regret staying up tonight to play. :(
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Since the last patch I've been stuck in the station during cap and hold missions on respawn at least 10 times now. Nothing works, and it a frequent problem. Tonight I was stuck in two missions in a row, and once I was stuck and a team mate was stuck at the same time.

Stuck on respawn. What the heck is that about?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Im Getting my Star Cruiser stuck inside of the Fed Star-base very often during PvP matches after I re-spawn after Death.
    Map is:
    Hostile Engagement (FvK) - Capture and Hold - Space - Salvage Operation (Large)

Its extremely frustrating, I have submitted several tickets since official release already but still no fix.

Please move the star-base itself further away from the Spawn point for the love of.....

Or move the spawn further away from the star-base, this is a MAJOR problem for me.

Or add some kind of a suicide command that can be used once or twice during space battle...

do something, this is happening over and over.

Every one who ever had this problem please make it Known so it can get fixed.
    Either there is some very strange reason why I get stuck and others don't, or people just dont remember to report it.

P.S.
    When I report all I get is an automated reply now =/
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I started a new thread before I saw this one, so I apologize for the duplication. I played through a ground PVP map - Shanty Town. When it ended, I did not get the window that normally pops up to leave map. I am now stuck. Logging out did not fix it. I still end up here when I log back in. Please help.

Matrix@Latinumbar

EDIT: Submitted ticket 844,538

EDIT: Dont know if this info helps a GM or not, but everytime I try to open up my options menu or try to log out, the scorecard window pops up.

EDIT: Thank you for fixing it for me.:)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Latinumbar wrote:
    I started a new thread before I saw this one, so I apologize for the duplication. I played through a ground PVP map - Shanty Town. When it ended, I did not get the window that normally pops up to leave map. I am now stuck. Logging out did not fix it. I still end up here when I log back in. Please help.

Matrix@Latinumbar

EDIT: Submitted ticket 844,538

EDIT: Dont know if this info helps a GM or not, but everytime I try to open up my options menu or try to log out, the scorecard window pops up.

EDIT: Thank you for fixing it for me.:)

I have the exact same problem as well. I am stuck there now.

Stromgold@Stromgold

I got out by exiting the game for 15 minutes, and logging back in.

Needless to say, thats the last time I play Shanty Town.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    When I tried to visit a Klingon Bridge while we were in orbit at "Qo'Nos" I got stuck in the wall
    But
    When we moved to the Sector Space Map and tried again it worked.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I will have to try some of these, as it has happened to me in the past. I just aborted the mission to get out of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    When stuck in a PVP map, fly to the edge of the map.
    A red warning window will then pop up with an option to warp out.

(On a sidenote: whoever decided to disable transwarp/depart system/abort mission completely should
    be spanked imho.)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What a joke. I spent two days trying to get into the final room of Undine Terradome and got stuck in "resuscitate" mode when I revived my dead teammate. I tried to use "stuck" but it would not let me use the command. I made a video of this here at 1:15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzaZpRN7gIc
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am currently on the mission for defending star base 24 and cannot dock or complete the mission what should i do to finish. Also if i reset the mission i am asked to complete it again and the process repeats meaning i fly in and nothing happens.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I cannot complete this mission when i approach nothing happens what should i do.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i just log out and back in. it works on most missions, but this stuff really needs to be fix'd. i've deleted several toons for getting stuck to much.......
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wish I saw this sooner....I did a mission dealing with Dukat's daughter and the prophets scenario. In the underground liar with fire and heat everywhere. While fighting, one of my BO either fell, or walked off by accident into the fire pits.

It was the Tact BO first. Then later my Engineer with generator skills 'disappeared.' I finised the scenario with my other 2 BOs, but I could not find the lost and injured personnel. The rangerfinder couldn't pinpoint with accurate range to find them.

Lucklily the other 2 BOs were quite skilled.:eek:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have been stuck in Shanty town after a match. I put in a help request as well as bug ticket and as I write this I am still sitting here waiting for some help.

Ever since Cryptic locked PvP matches this created a new problem.

I believe this problem occurs when a sore winner or loser continues trying to kill someone and somehow the flag for leaving the map is missed during respawn. Cryptic could fix this issue by freezing the players after a match is over. This would be a quick fix and ensure that people do not get stuck again...

If any of you GMs happen to be reading this I could still use some help....
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thank you so much for this thread. I keep getting stuck all the time with my gun appearing like it's firing but it's not and i can't move ... going to try some of these suggestions out.

xx
This discussion has been closed.