test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Admiral Speaks: No Endgame Content.... At All (Spoiler Alert)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Klystron wrote: »
    And concrete.

Don't forget wine! We would all really miss that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rotton wrote: »
    What a wall of of words there mister.

Lets sum it up shall we? You had so much time on your hands you rushed to admiral in a week......Now your but hurt cuz your bored?

Ok, now go back and play the game with an alt, really look at the whole map and enjoy flying your ship for a change....No?

Look dude, sorry to be blunt, but you didnt play the game, you blindsided it like some bull in a ring, it can be done with every MMo, so dont act like you have found a new star.

Save your responce, I care little for your point of veiw as it will pass thru your head so fast you yourself wont understand it, just knpw this, for me, and other like myself, we like trying to have fun in a trek universe, explore this first chapter in a young games life.

As far as MMOs starting at endgame, I beg to differ, most endgame services the ranks coming up, and the end game for others is getting 50 people together to slay a huge beast and fight over the prize....Here they are supposed to be adding to a rich universe that has a lot of lore to pull from. I want to see it happen, so give it a chance huh?:eek: :cool:

as much as I dont like to level fast like this guy. many of you are being unfair..whether to agree with him or not is one thing. But while he has tried to keep composure and a level of grace. All I keep seeing are people calling him and idiot for playinh the game the way he wanted.YES he should have known about no end game yet, but that gives (some) of you the right to tell him how to play HIS game that HE paid for?

whether we think he levelled to fast for his own good or not, it's not our business to judge someone placing a game at a high priority. it's no different than planning any other kind of "activity" so again why the insults regarding his priorities toward a game AND the speed of progress he makes! Unreal and yet you can all gang up on one person feeling rightous when all he did was be honest about how he felt at the time.

sad gang mentality. I am one of those players that like to take his time and smell the roses, some people think I am an idiot for that. BUT IT'S MY bill. same for everyone here...you pay you choose simple
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can at least answer from my point of view: To me, an MMO is an adventure. I Think of levling as "boot camp". Then, once you're max level (out of bootcamp) you're ready to REALLY kick some butts. Most people I know feel this way. It becomes more about the story in the end and less about the grind. That's why I love endgame. Not sure about the rest.

Late post.. but levels 1-10 are boot camp. the rest is your adventure in most MMO's.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lol really? If I remember correctly what I was talking about 10 minutes ago, I was referring to Alliance questing which is practically nonexistant in Thousand Needles and Swamp of Sorrows. There is one small area of Thousand Needles where you kill some turtles and birds for a quest and grab some level 40ish quests. Swamp of Sorrows has one quest guy you talk to and maybe another that you could have done from a drop. Remember we're talking about release, so the camp of quests that has been added since does not count. Dustwallow Marsh, another example of a quest hub primarily for Horde, hardly any Alliance content...until much, much later.

If you never run out of quests you must have died a lot grinding mobs for quest drops and such. I leveled so fast sometimes that I would get to the 'next area' 2 or 3 levels below the suggested one. And when you get up to level 55, Silithus wasn't even a quest area until much later; Burning Steppes and Plaguelands did not have enough content for 5 levels. I know, because I've done it a dozen times. I never had the issue like the OP is having with content at launch, but I'm saying there were/are issues with some of the mid-game content in WoW.

I do believe the problem here is player A is talking about WoW in its current form and Player B is talking about WoW when it launched (or shortly after).

1000 Needles has several quest at the race track nowdays (not a huge amount but several more then the old days). SoS has the Dran quest camp now also so there are quite a few there for alliance.

Int eh Old days you could only quest to 60 but it took a bit of work as you had to do every singel quest. Nowdays you cant even do 1/4th of them, they will be green or gray. WoW is a much different (leveling) game then a few years ago.

But sorry this is a STO forum not WOW. I feel a little dirty for replying to this here, but sometimes info is found in the least lilkley places.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    theCorvus wrote:

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    50 levels in less then a week.... and complains about lack of content....

/yawn

QFT

/10char
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Leorik wrote:
    Late post.. but levels 1-10 are boot camp. the rest is your adventure in most MMO's.

HAH! Exactly what I was thinking when I posted this:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1920022&postcount=502
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    theCorvus wrote:

There's enough "whine" in this forum to last about 47 lifetimes LOL :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Eryxx wrote: »
    There's enough "whine" in this forum to last about 47 lifetimes LOL :p

OMG, did you just whine about whiners?!

oh noes, now I'm whining about whiners whining about whiners!

BAH!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    clok1966 wrote: »
    I do believe the problem here is player A is talking about WoW in its current form and Player B is talking about WoW when it launched (or shortly after).

1000 Needles has several quest at the race track nowdays (not a huge amount but several more then the old days). SoS has the Dran quest camp now also so there are quite a few there for alliance.

Int eh Old days you could only quest to 60 but it took a bit of work as you had to do every singel quest. Nowdays you cant even do 1/4th of them, they will be green or gray. WoW is a much different (leveling) game then a few years ago.

But sorry this is a STO forum not WOW. I feel a little dirty for replying to this here, but sometimes info is found in the least lilkley places.

Hey you made the point of discussing the quest content, not me. I don't like discussing WoW either, but in relation to the content shipped at launch (which is really the core of what this thread is about) there is plenty that people need to understand about the fact that WoW was NOT the game it is today, 6 years ago.

It was missing a PvP system worth utilizing. It was missing a working end-game raiding system. It was missing...a LOT. Enjoy what we have, the end game will come.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    skylr616 wrote: »
    OMG, did you just whine about whiners?!

oh noes, now I'm whining about whiners whining about whiners!

BAH!

You fool! You've killed us all!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Leorik wrote:

1-10 is boot camp yeah, but then 11-20 is your basic training. 21-30 is your advanced training, 31-40 is when you're like the Jr. member on the team, and then 41+ you're finally ready to be in charge. (to continue your boot camp analogy)

Seriously, you're not done learning the game till you have all your skills. (BO powers for STO) And when do you get your last BO slots? Yep, 41. Now you're out of training and ready to contribute to a group that wants to take on challenging content. I know not that many of you probably played EQ2 like me, but there have to be quite a few Ex WoW (or pick your game with endgame content) players who get where I'm coming form right?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The title of this thread, changed to coincide with fact:

An Admiral Speaks - I didn't leave the basement for a week and rushed to level cap, endgame isn't ready yet - just like every other MMO.

This is hardly any sort of revelation. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yargnit wrote: »
    Seriously, you're not done learning the game till you have all your skills. (BO powers for STO) And when do you get your last BO slots? Yep, 41. Now you're out of training and ready to contribute to a group that wants to take on challenging content. I know not that many of you probably played EQ2 like me, but there have to be quite a few Ex WoW (or pick your game with endgame content) players who get where I'm coming form right?

Nope that is old MMO thinking. And even in old style MMO's more people muddled along just levelling then did the "end game" hard content. This is why "end game" in WoW is such a joke these days. The money is in catering to a less hardcore market.

Why you expected an MMO company known for producing fairly casual MMO's to produce a non-casual MMO in today's market* is beyond me.

*If WoW was re-made today it would never have had difficult raids like it used to. Those were solely a result of getting designers from EQ.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zish wrote: »
    sorry man but i totaly disagree. i think it is insulting to the playerbase to actualy make it so easy to get to admiral. you can just grind your way to admiral. no big quests involved. hell its not even a big achievement. i would have loved to see a dozen long and hard missions that you must complete with a full group of 5 to actualy be alowed captain. but no - after the tutorial the quality of the game rises for a litle before totaly going underground

Quote for truth
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Post your whole load out with skills, people here will tell you why somehow it sucks.. Go rebuild you character to perfection over the next 6 days.. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok look, it's my choice as to which pace I choose to level. When you pay my sub fee, then maybe you can give me advice. Until then, I suggest you stop trying to be forum posers and accept the fact that this is just wrong of Cryptic to do to us. I rescheduled my entire month to play the weekend of STO release and I had a blast doing it. So what if I made it to admiral fast? It's an MMO! Last I checked most MMOs don't even START till you max level. Get off your high horses. You wanna level slow, fine, but these games aren't meant to just be a leveling fest. They're meant to be played for a LONG time.

The irony is strong in this one.:D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yargnit wrote: »
    1-10 is boot camp yeah, but then 11-20 is your basic training. 21-30 is your advanced training, 31-40 is when you're like the Jr. member on the team, and then 41+ you're finally ready to be in charge. (to continue your boot camp analogy)

Yes you maybe right. However my point was that he said that the leveling is all boot camp and that once you max out then you are really ready to play the game... what if they increase the level cap? then does that mean he's back in boot camp again in his mind? As far as i see it, the moment i step foot off teh Starbase i'm ready to tackle the universe and all the races that get in my way. I do not wait for endgame content, although it will be nice to do once we get it. Racing to max level in 6 or so days just seems... silly to me. It's like wolfing down a steak. you don't get to enjoy the flavour of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To the OP, thanks for the heads up and grats on the promotion!

To the whiners claiming he leveded too fast...

So what? His choice, there will always be the sort of player that will level so quick, regardless. Sometimes, there's whole guilds dedicated to such progress (Fires of Heaven and Triton from EQ1 spring to mind.).

That there is such limited content for admiral, or indeed, none until borg patch, isn't on, and he's spot on to bring it up. The end game is were I truely make my decision on a MMO, might take me a while to get there compared to some, but it's a make or break feature for me.

It needs plenty more then just the borg patch too.

Some sort of persistant PVP, like territory-wars, with base-building and indepth long term goals would seal the deal nicely. There must be more plans, just having an idea of what ones would settle a lot of minds.

How about a test server as well?

Trev
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Airjam wrote:
    To the OP, thanks for the heads up and grats on the promotion!

To the whiners claiming he leveded too fast...

So what? His choice, there will always be the sort of player that will level so quick, regardless. Sometimes, there's whole guilds dedicated to such progress (Fires of Heaven and Triton from EQ1 spring to mind.).

That there is such limited content for admiral, or indeed, none until borg patch, isn't on, and he's spot on to bring it up. The end game is were I truely make my decision on a MMO, might take me a while to get there compared to some, but it's a make or break feature for me.

It needs plenty more then just the borg patch too.

Some sort of persistant PVP, like territory-wars, with base-building and indepth long term goals would seal the deal nicely. There must be more plans, just having an idea of what ones would settle a lot of minds.

How about a test server as well?

Trev

It has already been mentioned by Cryptic that a test server is in the works.

All your points are good, but ultimately meaningless. You don't use a product in a way it's not designed, then cry to the manufacturer because it doesn't do that job well (duh). This is a casual MMO from a casual MMO maker... there is no rational reason to be indignant about the lacking end game content at launch.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All your points are good, but ultimately meaningless. You don't use a product in a way it's not designed, then cry to the manufacturer because it doesn't do that job well (duh).

Yeah, like that footballbat i got from sports authority, i was like wtf?!?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well just hit Admiral 5 and, to my dismay, there is absolutely NO endgame content in place. None. In fact after you rank up to Admiral, the quests just stop coming. There's no "way to go" there's no serious loot. There's nothing. Sure some of you will want to say "well you hit Admiral too fast" but that's not the point. The point is there is NOTHING at all to do at 45. Not a single thing except maybe pvp once the Klingons get Admiral. It's so blatantly neglected that it's almost offensive.

PROVE ME WRONG, CRYPTIC! I really want to play this game for a while but you repeatedly let us down on every point. Show me you actually care and make this game what you claimed it would be in all the interviews and dev chats.
    /me channels Stewie Griffin: "So, what have you learned?"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MiKuSH wrote: »
    Heroic Instances : Introduced in Burning Crusade...Mid
    Daily Quests: Introduced Burning Crusade
    Arena: Burning Crusade...Mid
    Battlegrounds: Burning Crusade Yet again...Mid

All these were brought in when wow was just about 2 years old. This game is 6 DAYS old. Just wish people would realise that. A large number are bumping between this and WoW and hoping for the exact same experience between the two. Its a shame that some dont realise that WoW has had close to 6 years of development and user comments to improve and become the biggest MMO out there.

WoW had stuff to do for end game LONG before that. Even before they put 'raids' into it it had things you could do.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Paneth wrote:
    WoW had stuff to do for end game LONG before that. Even before they put 'raids' into it it had things you could do.

Yeah! Like... fishing!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If I remember correctly, devs estimated an average of two hours per level, so 90 hours to max, which is ridiculously short for a MMO to begin with. Of course devs always overestimate this figure on purpose and we knew in OB people would be Admiral in a week, but people were making excuses about intentional easy mode to facilitate fast leveling or some other weak excuses.

No, devs can never please powergamers and TBH shouldn't even try. This doesn't mean it's acceptable to have ZERO endgame content at launch. I wish people would stop defending that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

From my perspective, Champions Online isn't doing well because it isn't really fun... I just couldn't enjoy it at all.

That seems to be what alot of people are saying about STO.

It feels to me like Cryptic just dosen't care. Not about the IP, not about you, just how much you're willing to spend. And I know, they're a company and they're out to make a profit. I would be fine with that if it wasn't such a sub-par product.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    n0vhpaa wrote: »
    Let this be a lesson. Dont rush through the game.

Stupid comment of the day, possibly week.

The game is NOT even near retail state in terms of content and bugs, and that's all you have to say?

FAIL sir, FAIL.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That seems to be what alot of people are saying about STO.

It feels to me like Cryptic just dosen't care. Not about the IP, not about you, just how much you're willing to spend. And I know, they're a company and they're out to make a profit. I would be fine with that if it wasn't such a sub-par product.

I meant, I couldn't enjoy it because it was a cartoon super hero game... not because the game mechanics or story or anything was poor. I enjoy this game because its fun AND has an intensely interesting IP behind it (Star Trek has an insainly huge fan base for good reason).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok look, it's my choice as to which pace I choose to level. When you pay my sub fee, then maybe you can give me advice. Until then, I suggest you stop trying to be forum posers and accept the fact that this is just wrong of Cryptic to do to us. I rescheduled my entire month to play the weekend of STO release and I had a blast doing it. So what if I made it to admiral fast? It's an MMO! Last I checked most MMOs don't even START till you max level. Get off your high horses. You wanna level slow, fine, but these games aren't meant to just be a leveling fest. They're meant to be played for a LONG time.

Two things. One: If you played this weekend then you were in the head start. To get into the head start you had to preorder the game. Everyone who preordered the game was given one month free play. Ergo, if you played this weekend you are not presently paying a subscription fee.

Two: I don't believe for a second that you made Admiral in two days "This weekend" as the server was down for most of Saturday and the better part of Sunday. What I do believe is that you have been playing your TRIBBLE off for the better part of this week, that you have skipped most of the exploration, defense, and fleet action quests or only did the FA's once, and that you have gotten 50+ hours of gameplay out of a video game that you have paid $50 for, which is about standard last time I checked.

If in a month, when cryptic begins to ask both of us for 14.99 a month, there is no new/top level content I would certainly cancel my account. However, until then I would just relax and be content with the fact that what you got is both what you paid for and what you ought to have expected.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stupid comment of the day, possibly week.

The game is NOT even near retail state in terms of content and bugs, and that's all you have to say?

FAIL sir, FAIL.

Who cares? I'd prefer to have the chance to play it now than have them keep it from me for the next 6 months while they polish the game.

You don't HAVE to be involved in an MMO from launch and you really really don't need to pretend to be surprised when their is a lack of end game content at launch.