What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Another Hero Ship in Lockbox?

124»

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    The days of any cool new ship from the shows going in the store are simply over, period.

The new rule is simple: if you want any cool new ship from a show, you have to gamble to get it.

I don't think that's necessarily true, I think there's a chance (a very slim chance) we could see era-appropriate ships only seen in the background get the C-Store treatment, though it would depend on how many new canon ships they have backlogged and how many C-Store ships they already have planned out. The only currently unreleased ships I think might have a shot though would be the Confederation versions of the Nova and Steamrunner, since they use the same model as the Fed versions just with different decals and a new material.

Anything that's a hero ship or otherwise highly desirable though WILL be a gamblebox ship, absolutely. Even potential variants of existing C-Store ships, like the Excelsior II or World Razer, will be in gambleboxes.

I'd love to see, for example, the background ships from the JJ films, to be in game.....Mayflower, Saladin, Armstrong, etc...and they are mostly kitbashes based on the Kelvin, so it would be easy.

The Saladin is entirely TOS, not Kelvin like the others, though it only ever appeared on screens in the background in various series and movies (including the Kelvin movies) due to IP issues.

If STO could get permission to use it (CBS does not own the design, that belongs to Franz Joseph Designs), the Saladin would be a very welcome ship in the c-store. It has the chops to anchor a new line of ships almost as diverse as the Miranda line and include ships like the Freedom class from TNG (though they would probably have to rename it to avoid confusion), the Jupp from DS9 (while technically dual nacelle, they are mounted on either side of a single vertical strut), the Kelvin from the 2009 movie, and eventually some original designs like the Miranda line has.

Star Trek Fleet Command uses the Saladin. It's a Kelvin Saladin. IF Fleet Command can use it, why not STO? STO HAS the Kelvin, all needs to be done is some chopping and so, BOOM, Saladin. Same for the Mayflower.

Two different games, two different licensing agreements. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Is it though? Since Viacom has put the band back together is it still different licenses?

Every company that wants to do something Star Trek related has to have their own licensing agreement. So, yes, each gaming company has their own licensing agreement which specified what they can and cannot do.

I think rattler answered that better then you did. My thought was about the star trek license and how the brands have become one again under viacom. So the question was if a new license would actually be necessary since they are under one roof now. That gaming companies have to have licenses like that I was well aware of.

I guess I misunderstood what you were questioning since my original answer was referring to what I just clarified.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    I'd say we both answered different elements of the question.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spielman1 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

Im staying out of it personally seems to me heading down argument street

😆
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    seems to me heading down argument street
    joxaydzwczmn.gif
    2ee6c89af0adf8d284147474021b5bd7.gif

j/k :)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    there are the FJ designs from the technical manual. mods if posting this is an IP conflict please redact
    3ya4p3xaezhm.jpg
    IIRC the Dreadnought was the Federation class,
    the heavy cruisers are obvious. the manual says the destroyer is Saladin the scout is Hermes, and the transport tug Ptolemy
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    I do not believe it is an IP conflict. However Cryptic cannot touch Franz Joseph's designs as they are not owned by CBS. Its a licensing and ownership issue. Not really an IP conflict.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User

Im staying out of it personally seems to me heading down argument street

:) Not happening it was a misunderstanding and to my satisfaction rattler2 already gave me the answer I was looking for. So there is no need to go down argument street lol.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I do not believe it is an IP conflict. However Cryptic cannot touch Franz Joseph's designs as they are not owned by CBS. Its a licensing and ownership issue. Not really an IP conflict.

Star Trek Fleet Command has Saladin class ships, kelvin style, but still Saladin. And they also use the likeness of folks like Shatner.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User

Star Trek Fleet Command has Saladin class ships, kelvin style, but still Saladin. And they also use the likeness of folks like Shatner.

The details and specifics of their lisence is proably differant. lisencing is a pretty complex issue.
  • Options
    The details and specifics of their lisence is proably differant. lisencing is a pretty complex issue.

This.

And yet STO can't use Shatner's likeness or voice.
    As mentioned, different license agreements.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

This.

STO can't use Shatner's likeness because William Shatner did not give them permission. The actor controls their likeness and how it can be used, not the studio. CBS cannot license Shatner's likeness. They can and have used voice recordings of 'Captain Kirk' taken from actual episodes and placed it in spots in STO.

And William Shatner will probably never give them permission because Al Rivera and a STO former community manager (Branflakes); posted things on Twitter that he didn't like and he banned them from following/posting to his Twitter account. (This was very early in STO's lifecycle.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,791 Arc User

This.

STO can't use Shatner's likeness because William Shatner did not give them permission. The actor controls their likeness and how it can be used, not the studio.

And he's very good at it too. He's over 90 years old, but looks like an average 60-year old. ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

STO can't use Shatner's likeness because William Shatner did not give them permission. The actor controls their likeness and how it can be used, not the studio.[/quote]

And he's very good at it too. He's over 90 years old, but looks like an average 60-year old. ;)[/quote]

the amazing effect of having money such as he. [/quote]

Or healthy living. Just because one gets older, does not mean one's going to look like a mummy. I seen some asian girls in their 50's and 60's who look like 20.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Or healthy living. Just because one gets older, does not mean one's going to look like a mummy. I seen some asian girls in their 50's and 60's who look like 20.

Could also be good genes too. Because when I was in my 20s I still had people looking at me like I was mid teens. For a long time the oldest I got when I was I wanna say 25... was that I looked 18.
  • Options

Could also be good genes too. Because when I was in my 20s I still had people looking at me like I was mid teens. For a long time the oldest I got when I was I wanna say 25... was that I looked 18.

Same here. Always looked young. I'm 42, and people keep saying "Damn it you STILL look like a tribble tribbling kid!!!" :D
    My wifey says I got Alison Hannigan syndrome or something.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Well, this thread certainly has gone off the rail. 🫤
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,791 Arc User
    edited August 2022

Same.

A couple of year ago I was working at a milk factory for a while.

While on a break in an almost deserted canteen, there were two teenagers, probably between 16 and 18 year old talking about school. And they remarked how they had never seen me before (it's a rather small village where I live, so most people go to the same two or three high schools in surrounding towns) so their next question was to which high school I was going.

I was 25 or 26 at the time and had almost finished university. :'D

I'd be lying if I said I didn't appreciate the confusion though. ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
This discussion has been closed.