Install Arc
Options

Another Hero Ship in Lockbox?

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The majority of the Discovery era fleet, both Fed and KDF, say hello from the C-Store.

Already responded this point in another post:

I know time flies, but that was actually several years ago now and all ships that have appeared in shows since then (with exception of those already with a C-store counterpart like the Luna) have been put in the gamble packs.

The days of any cool new ship from the shows going in the store are simply over, period.

The new rule is simple: if you want any cool new ship from a show, you have to gamble to get it.

You're talking about what they were doing YEARS ago, I'm talking about how things work now.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    The days of any cool new ship from the shows going in the store are simply over, period.

The new rule is simple: if you want any cool new ship from a show, you have to gamble to get it.

I don't think that's necessarily true, I think there's a chance (a very slim chance) we could see era-appropriate ships only seen in the background get the C-Store treatment, though it would depend on how many new canon ships they have backlogged and how many C-Store ships they already have planned out. The only currently unreleased ships I think might have a shot though would be the Confederation versions of the Nova and Steamrunner, since they use the same model as the Fed versions just with different decals and a new material.

Anything that's a hero ship or otherwise highly desirable though WILL be a gamblebox ship, absolutely. Even potential variants of existing C-Store ships, like the Excelsior II or World Razer, will be in gambleboxes.

I'd love to see, for example, the background ships from the JJ films, to be in game.....Mayflower, Saladin, Armstrong, etc...and they are mostly kitbashes based on the Kelvin, so it would be easy.

The Saladin is entirely TOS, not Kelvin like the others, though it only ever appeared on screens in the background in various series and movies (including the Kelvin movies) due to IP issues.

If STO could get permission to use it (CBS does not own the design, that belongs to Franz Joseph Designs), the Saladin would be a very welcome ship in the c-store. It has the chops to anchor a new line of ships almost as diverse as the Miranda line and include ships like the Freedom class from TNG (though they would probably have to rename it to avoid confusion), the Jupp from DS9 (while technically dual nacelle, they are mounted on either side of a single vertical strut), the Kelvin from the 2009 movie, and eventually some original designs like the Miranda line has.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    spielman1 wrote: »
    im not even gonna respond anymore you and again not trying to break rules at all are seeing or even trying to from the players point of view good day.

Cool story, bro. 👍 LLAP 🖖
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    spielman1 wrote: »
    im not even gonna respond anymore you and again not trying to break rules at all are seeing or even trying to from the players point of view good day.

Cool story, bro. 👍 LLAP 🖖

and as someone told me, it think it was you, you could have just left it alone and not responded. you should probably heed your own advice at times mate. this was not called for from a mod.

You're absolutely right. I apologize, @spielman1
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    The Saladin is entirely TOS, not Kelvin like the others, though it only ever appeared on screens in the background in various series and movies (including the Kelvin movies) due to IP issues.

If STO could get permission to use it (CBS does not own the design, that belongs to Franz Joseph Designs), the Saladin would be a very welcome ship in the c-store. It has the chops to anchor a new line of ships almost as diverse as the Miranda line and include ships like the Freedom class from TNG (though they would probably have to rename it to avoid confusion), the Jupp from DS9 (while technically dual nacelle, they are mounted on either side of a single vertical strut), the Kelvin from the 2009 movie, and eventually some original designs like the Miranda line has.

Well... there is that Saladin looking ship from the Pilot episode of SNW.
    archer.jpg
    I'd say that one might be fair game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    Like Rattler mentioned though, it'd work as a starting block. One for each generation, the SNW version, slap aTOS skin, and TOS. Swap the nacelle for a Miranda style one, you have TMP. They could even go with the TNG look, the saucer is close enough for it to work.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options

Well... there is that Saladin looking ship from the Pilot episode of SNW.
    archer.jpg
    I'd say that one might be fair game.

You're right, I forgot they used the name in SNW for similar ship. It is so different from the original Saladin heavy destroyer that I keep thinking it has a different class name (it will take a bit of getting used to I guess).
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    Like Rattler mentioned though, it'd work as a starting block. One for each generation, the SNW version, slap aTOS skin, and TOS. Swap the nacelle for a Miranda style one, you have TMP. They could even go with the TNG look, the saucer is close enough for it to work.

They would need to keep it distinct from the ships CBS doesn't own the rights to which might make the TOS version difficult. BoBW also showed a canon TNG version (Freedom class), so the devs wouldn't need to come up with their own TNG style design (though they would need to model the saucer and deflector).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,793 Arc User
    It would be a good idea to start with adapting the deflector.

It may have looked modern in the 60's, nowadays those sticks inside them look too archaic. In my opinion.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    You're right, I forgot they used the name in SNW for similar ship. It is so different from the original Saladin heavy destroyer that I keep thinking it has a different class name (it will take a bit of getting used to I guess).

Wasn't the Nealson class Scout the same model as the Saladin?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

Wasn't the Nealson class Scout the same model as the Saladin?

Yes and no. The Nelson class used the TOS saucer and nacelle but a totally different neck-strut arrangement (a triangular mounting that is similar in concept to the split-neck of the Odyssey class) and other less obvious differences.

All in all, it probably had enough dissimilarity to not be a copyright issue, and it is also possible (though not probable) that FASA had permission to use it from Franz Joeseph.

I took another look at the SNW pilot episode to confirm what they called the single-nacelle ship there and it turns out that I was initially right, it was not called Saladin class but rather Hermes class (though as far as SNW goes that is probably moot since if they ever show a Saladin in SNW it would probably be based on the same hull as their version of the Hermes class).
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

I don't think that's necessarily true, I think there's a chance (a very slim chance) we could see era-appropriate ships only seen in the background get the C-Store treatment, though it would depend on how many new canon ships they have backlogged and how many C-Store ships they already have planned out. The only currently unreleased ships I think might have a shot though would be the Confederation versions of the Nova and Steamrunner, since they use the same model as the Fed versions just with different decals and a new material.

Anything that's a hero ship or otherwise highly desirable though WILL be a gamblebox ship, absolutely. Even potential variants of existing C-Store ships, like the Excelsior II or World Razer, will be in gambleboxes.

I'd love to see, for example, the background ships from the JJ films, to be in game.....Mayflower, Saladin, Armstrong, etc...and they are mostly kitbashes based on the Kelvin, so it would be easy.

Star Trek Fleet Command uses the Saladin. It's a Kelvin Saladin. IF Fleet Command can use it, why not STO? STO HAS the Kelvin, all needs to be done is some chopping and so, BOOM, Saladin. Same for the Mayflower.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    It would be a good idea to start with adapting the deflector.

It may have looked modern in the 60's, nowadays those sticks inside them look too archaic. In my opinion.

Looks fine to me.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

Star Trek Fleet Command uses the Saladin. It's a Kelvin Saladin. IF Fleet Command can use it, why not STO? STO HAS the Kelvin, all needs to be done is some chopping and so, BOOM, Saladin. Same for the Mayflower.

Two different games, two different licensing agreements. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

A Kelvin style Saladin wouldn't run into issues with the Franz Joseph copyright, but since it didn't appear on screen first that means the Fleet Command devs own the copyright to that version, so Cryptic would need to license it from them before they could use it.

There might be ways to get around these issues, such as relocating the deflector, but if that worked then the devs would run into complaints about it not matching the original design.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I am convinced any lockbox ship suitably aged may end up on Mudd's as a C-store. Looking at you Kelvin dreadnought.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    @ozwyn said:
    > I am convinced any lockbox ship suitably aged may end up on Mudd's as a C-store. Looking at you Kelvin dreadnought.

The Kelvin Dreadnought is already in Mudd’s Market. That ship was a lobi ship—not a lockbox ship. However yes any lockbox ship could be candidates for Mudd’s Market—that is the premise of the Market.

Mudd’s has also been stated “not to be the final destination” for ships. So assuming the game continues long enough, ships in Mudd’s may transition to the Phoenix store or perhaps the general C-store at some point. It probably depends on if Mudd’s sales reach some sort of saturation threshold where everyone who would likely pay Mudd’s prices for the ships has paid for them.
  • Options

A Kelvin style Saladin wouldn't run into issues with the Franz Joseph copyright, but since it didn't appear on screen first that means the Fleet Command devs own the copyright to that version, so Cryptic would need to license it from them before they could use it.

There might be ways to get around these issues, such as relocating the deflector, but if that worked then the devs would run into complaints about it not matching the original design.

the mayflower and saladin in ST fleet command have deflectors on the bottom of the saucers. My eaglemoss Mayflower does not have it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User

Is it though? Since Viacom has put the band back together is it still different licenses?

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    Is it though? Since Viacom has put the band back together is it still different licenses?

Legally speaking, most likely yes it is still different licenses. We also have to remember that we're dealing with two different developers, with two very different games. Not only that, they probably did not alter the license deals when CBS and Paramount got back together again other than to update who the license is from.

And if the Kelvin Saladin is specific to Fleet Command, that poses a problem for STO if they ever wanted to use that design themselves as the Kelvin Saladin is owned by the Fleet Command developer. We're more likely to see that scout from the pilot of SNW or even the TNG era Freedom class.
  • Options

Every company that wants to do something Star Trek related has to have their own licensing agreement. So, yes, each gaming company has their own licensing agreement which specified what they can and cannot do.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User

Every company that wants to do something Star Trek related has to have their own licensing agreement. So, yes, each gaming company has their own licensing agreement which specified what they can and cannot do.

I think rattler answered that better then you did. My thought was about the star trek license and how the brands have become one again under viacom. So the question was if a new license would actually be necessary since they are under one roof now. That gaming companies have to have licenses like that I was well aware of.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
This discussion has been closed.