test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What happened to the Dilithium Exchange? Plans to fix it?

diamodnfluxdiamodnflux Member Posts: 2 Arc User
I took a 2-year hiatus from STO, and recently wanted to jump back in.

However, I am seriously considering not bothering. While I have disposable income, I don't want to throw hundreds or thousands into this; I wanted to spend the time to refine Dilithium then buy Zen - so I went to trade on the exchange as normal.

There's absolutely no chance, there's nearly 2bil Dilithium worth of Zen purchase orders already, at the max of 500 alone, I imagine there's hundreds of billions of dilithium waiting! I tried googling what was the plan to fix it, and it's bunches of old information and no update I can see from Arc.

Anyone know their plans to fix it?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Oh, welcome back.

Well related to that, there's been a change to reps. You no longer get ore at T5, you get vouchers instead which can only be spent on rep projects (NOT the store stuff).

That's one thing they're trying. Some like it, some do not. If you do stick around, bear that in mind for new toons.

We know and they know it won't fix anything, but that's what they're going with.
  • Options
    fltcaptalanfltcaptalan Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    It is not technically broken, it is a problem with the dilithium market as a whole.
    In short it is way too easy to get large amounts of dilithium, every month has a new event that just lets us gain a day's worth (or potentially far more) on a daily basis once you complete the main event, not to mention the marks you gain that could also get converted to dilithium. On top of that, there are limited places to spend your dilithium that are as useful as getting Zen.

I have been thinking about this and may type up a proposal and post it in the forums, but one of the many things I would suggest is to move some of the items from the "Slot and Services" tab in the Zen store to the dilithium store, mainly to force paying players to participate in the exchange if they want these services, and to give useful services to F2P players that they can spend their dilithium instead of jumping on the exchange.
  • Options
    I suspect they make a fair bit of real money from those slots and services.

True, they could get the money from zen to dil trades but that would be slower plus the dolphins wouldn't buy as much from the zen store.

Equivalent dil prices would get laughed out of the forums. 500000 dil for an elite services pack as an example, that's two months worth of dil right there.

Quick and easy is the Cryptic way after all.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    The exchange is still working, it just takes 7-14 days for your dil sale to go through.

The reasons are discussed in several very long threads you can search for.

• Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    Its hard to say Cryptic doesn't want to fix it when they finally fixed the largest "exploitable" way to speed farm dill. And yes yes I know its not an exploit exploit and no people are not evil jerks for playing the game we had... when something is in game for years we can assume it wasn't broken. Still Cryptic has finally shown they have some stones and did something to end the practice rather then adding silly time gates on new toons reclaiming rewards and other things that didn't deter anything.

The T5 change has annoyed a lot of players... so based on that alone its probably going to have an impact on the back log. lol

Its not that bad though... ya its not instant gratification anymore. But my last order went through in 10 days almost to the hour. So it is moving... its not completely borked like Neverwinter. Just place your orders early... I like to place my orders on a Friday. That way by 8 or 9 days the order has seen a couple weekends already. Placing an order on a Monday or something and you'll probably wait 2 full weeks.
  • Options
    kdftoonaltkdftoonalt Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Go read about the exchange in Neverwinter Online and you will see what happened there more or less happened here. With them needing to find more ways to limit the usefulness of dil you earn. This time it was the reputations, plugging all that dil into only reputation gear, but not reputation store, how they could miss that.

But suffice to say it is probably gone for good only because we don't know the full truth behind the swift change in the economy that left it "broken" blamed on too much dil, so lets ruin the increase in levels for reputation as what you get at tier 5 will just to buy rep gear only. Sorry they don't want you to try to use for zen as they want your cash not your dil, so much for using in game currency for cash store.
  • Options
    kdftoonalt wrote: »
    Go read about the exchange in Neverwinter Online and you will see what happened there more or less happened here. With them needing to find more ways to limit the usefulness of dil you earn. This time it was the reputations, plugging all that dil into only reputation gear, but not reputation store, how they could miss that.

But suffice to say it is probably gone for good only because we don't know the full truth behind the swift change in the economy that left it "broken" blamed on too much dil, so lets ruin the increase in levels for reputation as what you get at tier 5 will just to buy rep gear only. Sorry they don't want you to try to use for zen as they want your cash not your dil, so much for using in game currency for cash store.

You can still convert to zen... backlog sucks but it has been stable at 8-14ish days now since late last year. It swings back and forth as Crytpic does sales.

You can still earn Dill STO has so many easy sources of Dill. You just can't roll and kill toons over and over. If your actually playing a toon to T5 you have more unrefined dill by T5 then you really need anyway.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Guys... lets not go down that road in yet ANOTHER thread...

In regards to sits... Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence. Just because we forumites don't know Dev plans does NOT mean there are no plans at all.
    Last Livestream Kael and two Devs did reveal they have a sink in the works. They will most likely reveal details closer to release.

Not only that, as this is a complex problem, there are no simple, single shot, magic bullet solutions. Its going to take time and a lot of things working together.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Guys... lets not go down that road in yet ANOTHER thread...

In regards to sits... Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence. Just because we forumites don't know Dev plans does NOT mean there are no plans at all.
    Last Livestream Kael and two Devs did reveal they have a sink in the works. They will most likely reveal details closer to release.

Not only that, as this is a complex problem, there are no simple, single shot, magic bullet solutions. Its going to take time and a lot of things working together.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you said, Rattler.

I'll take one step further & say that I feel the reason why they chose to reveal that they have something in the works, but chose not to reveal what it is yet is because of something I've tended to notice what happens when they reveal stuff. In the past, Whenever they DID reveal something, whether it is a ship or something else that is bound to get people interested, the exchange always showed a spike up in price because of people wanting to cash in their dilithium they've been farming, which usually drove the price up because the zen sellers always knew people would WANT to have the chance for what ever it was that the devs released.

I think with the dilithium exchange as fragile as it is now, they want to hold back on definitely saying anything that might impact what they've recently done. There's also the fact that since it's not done yet, they likely cannot talk about what it is they have planned anyway. They don't usually talk about stuff until they're ready to release it

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Just remember, Econ 101, supply and demand. Right now the supply of Dil exceeds the need to convert to Zen. the only way it changes is to choke off the supply of Dil. the PROBLEM is that while it is easy to do, doing it so you are not TRIBBLE over the casual players take a lot more thought and finess
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    nixie50 wrote: »
    Just remember, Econ 101, supply and demand. Right now the supply of Dil exceeds the need to convert to Zen. the only way it changes is to choke off the supply of Dil. the PROBLEM is that while it is easy to do, doing it so you are not TRIBBLE over the casual players take a lot more thought and finess

Not the only way. You could also intro new demand for dil.

The only real fix is to do both.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options

That only works if the they haven't already hit a saturation in terms of numbers of players willing to wallet.

They have data we don't... if the number of walleting for purple rock players is unchanged... Then chocking the supply is about the only option really.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    kdftoonalt wrote: »

It isn't that there was too much dilithium. It's that there isn't enough use for it. The refinement cap was put in place to put a maximum daily limit as to how much could enter the game on a daily basis. Sources of Dilithium Orcould all hand out 10k ore every second and the ability to refine it would keep it in check. But what comes in needs to go out, and that can only happen with the addition of RD costs for a wide variety of things. Players with Zen to trade will do so to mitigate the grind. People with RD who either have already finished the grind or are not in a hurry to start it will see their RD move quickly on the exchange, getting the Zen for the ships they want.

The only fact that really matters here is that in order for both Zen and RD to be viewed by players as commodities worth exchanging is for both to have value. If either one is given more uses than the other, which is the current case, then it retains its value while the other loses it.

It is not so much that the exchange rate is 1 Zen for 500 RD. It is that it takes so long for orders to convert, because not enough Zen is being put up on the exchange fast enough to keep up with the requests for it. Cryptic could lock the exchange rate at 1Z:500RD for all I care. It would move smoothly if there were a reason for those with Zen to to want to part with it for the RD.

Like I said, the solution to the perceived problem is in Cryptic's hands to solve. Bit it requires them to develop THE GAME, not just SHIPS.

Ideally what they could do is produce a galaxy-wide metagame that uses player activity to trigger (or prevent the triggering of) a wide variety of scenarios. When an event associated with a scenario is triggered there could be all sorts of potential requirements at a global-level to resolve it. Some of those could require a large pool of RD in addition to other contributions to resolve. But that won't happen, either. Again, it would mean developing something other than ships, and we cannot have that, now can we?

Sir, the way you say all they pump out ships make it seem like that we have a new one coming out every week. In actuality, we've had far less than what you think since the start of this year.

- January 25th 2022: Jarok Alliance Carrier as an event ship & the Emerald Chain Intel Juggernaught Lockbox ship
    - February 17th 2022: Terran Lexington Dreadnought Cruiser, Terran Cygnus Battlecruiser, Terran Adamant Heavy Raider, & Terran Trailblazer Science Warship came out for purchase in the C-store.
    - March 17th, 2022: Section 31 Intel Dreadnought Cruiser came out as a promo box.

So far that's 7 ships so far total for this year. We know the Merian-class is being released on Tuesday alongside the First Contact Day event. Still, that's 8 ships out of who knows how many more we're going to get. I think leading up to the spring update last year, we had a total of 11 ships.

We're going to be getting information about the spring update for STO at Star Trek Chicago this year. Beyond that I don't know what more to say.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    husanakx wrote: »

That only works if the they haven't already hit a saturation in terms of numbers of players willing to wallet.

They have data we don't... if the number of walleting for purple rock players is unchanged... Then chocking the supply is about the only option really.

Not true at all. Because the "problem" isn't solely, or even demonstrably, that the number of Zen sellers went down because of players being unwilling to spend on Zen. In fact, there is no public data on Zen sales (gamewide, not just Zen going through the exchange). Those players might still be buying Zen, but just not using it to trade for dilithium.

The willingness to use Zen to trade for dilithium.... requires that there be a use for the dilithium.

And as I have (repeatedly) pointed out before.... every method of using dilithium OTHER than using it to buy Zen... is ultimately limited. At some point, an individual player will have done all of those things (upgrades, Phoenix boxes, fleet projects, etcetera) that they have any desire to do.

Once they reach that point, dilithium is worthless to that player, except for buying Zen. (And of course, you're not going to sell Zen in order to buy Zen.) So those players who got there by trading Zen stop, and those who got there by farming dilithium, simply increase the flood.

The ONLY way to pull players out of that situation, and back into using dilithium (for other things), is to create new dilithium demand, because they've already done all the existing things.

Cutting off income, might help the exchange overall, but it only does so by slowing players down from reaching that tipping point.

Well we can disagree... it doesn't matter really.

Developers often employee a bit of Psychology when developing systems. I'm not sure Cryptic has anyone that good.... but here is the thing.

Player psychologys can be grouped into types. There are gamers that will wallet to buy ships but never to speed a time sink. There are players that will wallet time sinks with out batting an eye. Then there are gamers that won't spend anything often cause they can't and forcing them to just means they leave.

Despite the shot I just took at them... I actually think Cryptic is smart enough to understand that. Just because you have people buying Zen... doesn't mean they will ever trade it for a currency in game they can earn with sweet. Assuming that the number of players you have grouped into the "will spend money but not for grind currency" will all of a sudden start buying grind currency is not a sound assessment.

Again you and I don't know cause we don't work for Cryptic. However I would have to believe they are keeping metrics on exactly which players buy Zen... what they do with it, what they do in game.

In every online game the largest group of spending players will spend on things they can't get any other way then to spend.... however in general don't start paying for grind skips.

Cryptic can create all the demand they want... but if say only 10% of the player population have ever sold Zen for Dill... that will not change much. So unless the player base grows... there is without a doubt a hard ceiling on the amount of Zen that will enter the exchange. I suspect if we worked at Cryptic and looked at the numbers.... over a few years you would find the amount of Zen being traded to other players is very little changed. I mean supply spikes up when there are big sales coming... cause the amount of people BUYING purple rocks never really changes. (not counting things like time limited vanity shield sales... those don't really count IMO they are a one off thing, and most of the Zen going back into that system was probably Zen that had already changed hands once before. lol)
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    The willingness to use Zen to trade for dilithium.... requires that there be a use for the dilithium.

And as I have pointed out before.... every method of using dilithium OTHER than using it to buy Zen... is ultimately limited. At some point, an individual player will have done all of those things that they have any desire to do.

Once they reach that point, dilithium is worthless to that player, except for buying Zen. So those players who got there by trading Zen stop, and those who got there by farming dilithium, simply increase the flood.

The ONLY way to pull players out of that situation, and back into using dilithium (for other things), is to create new dilithium demand, because they've already done all the existing things.
    It could be difficult to create a new need for dilithium if players don't have any desire to part of it. I mean they can't just say abracadabra and create a need. Plus a lot of these threads get made by players trying to exchange dilithium for zen. Pretty sure they just want their order to go through... that is their primary need.
  • Options
    I had my gripe about the situation already. Not that there's any need for it on console, and won't be ever. Spiked to 300 when the Mirror bundle released, now it's back at 270 where it's been since I started back last December. It's solving a different problem, not the dilex.

This may be an unpopular statement but those T6 discounts didn't help much, though they two birds, one stoned that I suppose.

Ol' Borti shall have to be careful or he'll find there's no more fish in the sea to harpoon. I'm fairly sure quite a few people in my fleets have bolted already, never seen so many open fleet mark slots open for so many days.

This discussion has been closed.