What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Reminder on How to Have a Discussion

1235»

Comments

• theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 450 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Can I just say that while a complaint can be informative... it has to have something informative to complain about, otherwise... what is the reason? No one can read minds here, so just saying something is wrong isn't going to help. You gotta provide details and not just say "its been around for x amount of time, you know what you did" sort of complaints. There is a difference between complaints and outright hostility.

Again... what is more informative for the Devs? A rage post, or something that actually has usable information? What's not working? Where was this encountered? Information that can actually help narrow down the problem. Just raging and demanding a fix within a certain timeframe "or else" not only does not help the Devs at all, it actually causes more problems.

A: The average player does not understand the complexities of code involved with this particular game engine, let alone speggetti code in an engine not designed for even half the things STO pulls off. Assuming its a simple fix and claiming malice doesn't help anyone.

B: Hostility does not encourage anyone. It typically has the opposite effect in any circle. If someone walked into Cryptic's office and went full on aggro hostile over a bug, they're more likely to be hauled out by security than have someone listen. And with how far some hostility has gone on the forums... in person that would warrant calling the police.

C: Just because something doesn't get fixed when User X wants it to be is not a declaration of malice on the part of the Devs. It gets done when it gets done. Certain things have to be prioritized. They are not only working on those bugs, they are also working on actually advancing the game itself. And as an MMO, they need to keep working on new content. There can not be a "bug fix season" where all work on new content stops to fix every bug in the game. As much as some people may like that it is literally impossible. Every time they touch the code, they chance a bug being made. Even with bug fixes there is the chance that Code Element A doesn't play well with Code Element B. And we have a bug. A "bug fix season" is essentially permanent maintenance mode on the game as it will be a never ending cycle of fix bug, cause bug because of fix.

All we can do is state what the problem is, provide details that could help narrow the search, and wait. While yes it is good to listen to complaints as it can help identify problems, there is a line that has to be drawn regarding HOW complaints are presented. Outright hostility is not a viable complaint. Demanding someone be fired because something wasn't done is not a viable complaint. Wishing doom on anyone because something isn't being done (visably) is not a viable complaint. Saying "my wallet is closed until x happens" is not really a viable complaint.

Information is key. Presentation is key.
    A well written complaint with as much information as possible will get more attention than a flame filled ranting rage post.

That being said, no one is expecting anyone here to be all Vulcan about their complaints. We're only human after all. But if everyone can be a bit more mindful of how they present their complaints it might mean more than just pulling out the flamethrowers and threatening war on the forums.

I do not care for this attitude. It insists upon itself.

Cool story. LLAP 🖖😎

It beats taking the time to pound out a thoughtful and accurate post just to watch the needle stay stuck at "Because we said so."

Peace and Long Legs. :# Wait...

Don't worry. He's about to be fired, maybe we'll get a mod who actually cares what people think.

If that was my goal there are far better ways to achieve it than posting on the forum. My goal is a bit less dramatic than all that, but I do think, if successful, it will be better for everyone going forward.

Mind you, in my "real life" I have been known to suggest that only a fool chooses to limit his options. As one Mr. Spock likes to say there are always... Possibilities.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > My understanding of the VFX issue, and this is totally MY interpretation based on what's already been publicly stated and not based on any conversation I've had behind the scenes with devs, is that they haven't figured out HOW they want to address it. Forward development continues, though, and so, they can't develop a new power/ability/weapon/console without giving it SOME effect, so they continue as they have before. Yes, this adds to the VFX spam issue. They appear to be aware of that. Again, they just don't seem to know how they want to address the issue, and until they do, they continue business as usual. I know this isn't helping the issue at all, but I can understand to an extent why they continue as they have. But I agree with the (vocal) majority: something should be done to address this, the sooner, the better.

Badmoon, I hope your explanation here was correct, however the June ask Cryptic QA seems to have contradicted you. Do you still think there is a chance that the developers will listen to player feedback about the visual spam? Maybe like your interpretation about the Klingon War missions—maybe they are still working on this despite their answer?

I really hope they are working on thoseimissions still.

I am largely indifferent to the visual spam. Probably because I run more solo content than TFOs nowadays. But I think a lot of people are concerned about this and it would be nice if the developers were at least listening to the feedback.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,242 Community Moderator
    edited July 2022
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > My understanding of the VFX issue, and this is totally MY interpretation based on what's already been publicly stated and not based on any conversation I've had behind the scenes with devs, is that they haven't figured out HOW they want to address it. Forward development continues, though, and so, they can't develop a new power/ability/weapon/console without giving it SOME effect, so they continue as they have before. Yes, this adds to the VFX spam issue. They appear to be aware of that. Again, they just don't seem to know how they want to address the issue, and until they do, they continue business as usual. I know this isn't helping the issue at all, but I can understand to an extent why they continue as they have. But I agree with the (vocal) majority: something should be done to address this, the sooner, the better.

Badmoon, I hope your explanation here was correct, however the June ask Cryptic QA seems to have contradicted you. Do you still think there is a chance that the developers will listen to player feedback about the visual spam? Maybe like your interpretation about the Klingon War missions—maybe they are still working on this despite their answer?

I really hope they are working on thoseimissions still.

I am largely indifferent to the visual spam. Probably because I run more solo content than TFOs nowadays. But I think a lot of people are concerned about this and it would be nice if the developers were at least listening to the feedback.

Actually, I don't believe that my explanation is contradicted by their answer. I based my explanation on their answer:
    Associate Art Director, Thomas Marrone: This is a really complicated issue. At one point we discussed really streamlining the VFX from powers and using a unified language (shield buffs always look like this, damage buffs always look like this, etc) but the cost of retrofitting that on existing powers meant it was a wildly expansive project. (in this case, "cost" means sunk time - all of this would have to be done on each individual power out of the hundreds we have in in game.) - Kael Also, one of the neat parts of getting a new ship is getting a console that looks really cool when you activate it. There's been a lot of discussions on this one, and they'll probably keep ongoing until we find a solution that doesn't also remove the coolness of your own powers, and also lets you know what powers your teammates are using.

Thomas says here that discussions are ongoing until a solution is found. Meaning, they do hope to address this once they figure out a way to do it that's satisfying to everyone. Yes, this is my interpretation of the answer, but I believe it falls in line with the answer provided. As for the Klingon War missions, that's not MY interpretation. I asked specifically for an explanation of THAT answer and the follow up I've provided is what was given to me by the devs. They are working on them.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    valoreah wrote: »
    Thomas says here that discussions are ongoing until a solution is found. Meaning, they do hope to address this once they figure out a way to do it that's satisfying to everyone. Yes, this is my interpretation of the answer, but I believe it falls in line with the answer provided.

Just wanted to add that I agree with @baddmoonrizin here. Cryptic has discussed the problem internally, they just do not have a sufficient fix or plans at this time.

I would kindly ask our mods and Kael - since there are more threads about the VFX spam cropping up, would it be possible to set up an semi-official sticky thread for it so these can all be collated together into one thread?

This is an important enough topic on its own outside of the other Q&A content in my opinion. I would be more than willing to share screen captures and video clips there to provide whatever information Cryptic needs to see just how bad the problem really is.

Thank you.

EDIT: Adding link to another thread about VFX spam.

This is a good idea.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    Yeah, I can do that.
    @ambassadorkael#6946
    Does it count as a "Necro" when it's one of these sticky threads, especially considering the subject of this one?
    I'm trying not to break a rule.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,242 Community Moderator
    Does it count as a "Necro" when it's one of these sticky threads, especially considering the subject of this one?

As long as the thread is still stickied, we wouldn't consider it a necro.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

As long as the thread is still stickied, we wouldn't consider it a necro.

Thanks @baddmoonrizin !

• tiffanypowell#8124 tiffanypowell Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    > @"ambassadorkael#6946" said:
    > Hey folks, Kael here. I wanted to chat with everyone, especially as we continue to move into this new era of Trek content, and remind you all that everyone on this forum is a human being that you are interacting with. We've had a lot of passionate discussions over the past few years, and a lot of moderator actions and warnings having to be handed out that shouldn't have been necessary. So let's talk a little bit about how we should all be behaving on this forum (and online in general, really.).
    >
    > When you're in a conversation online, it is very easy to forget the humanity of the participants. The other person is just an image and a made up name, so it's very easy to boil them down into just the things you don't like. (This is also true of folks you can't interact with normally, like the creatives of Star Trek or the developers of Star Trek Online.) The best approach is to imagine your conversation happening in the real world. Read what you've just typed, out loud, to yourself or to a friend if you need. Imagine yourself in the other person's shoes. If you find that the statement has made you mad, or upset, it's probably best to rephrase.
    >
    > "I feel" statements are really important, here. We have a tendency, especially in our wonderful nerd community, to jump to all or nothing, blanket statements that, while they may describe how we feel, don't contribute anything to an actual discussion except get an emotional response out of other users. For example: "[Star Trek Show] is hot trash," is a declarative, universal statement that does nothing but inspire anger in folks who DO like that show. "I don't like, [Star Trek Show] because [reasons]," is a discussion, and one that can be had, civilly.
    >
    > I'm a firm believer in the "remove the problem," method of Community Management. As we move forward, folks who can't contribute civilly will be asked to not contribute at all. Whether this means warnings or bans will depend on the situation, but there is a lovely community here on the forums, and I'm sure you are as sick as I am of having it drowned out in wars over things that are, ultimately, insignificant.
    >
    > Cryptic Studios, the STO development team, and the creatives behind Star Trek have and will do things that make you upset. As fans, we dedicate a lot of our lives to these properties and games, and it's reasonable to feel upset, disappointed, or even angry when something happens that you don't agree with. I'm not saying that any criticism is frowned upon. To repeat that in bold: I'm not saying any negativity will be frowned upon. But we have to be able to critique constructively, using statements that explain how we feel, instead of responding in a way that will only make others upset. I know you all can do it.
    >
    > Thanks!

this is useful information considering the fact that we really often forget to express an opinion and warn that these are only our impressions or feelings. Each person is different and perceives everything differently, and it would be good if we knew how to control negativity and aggression and not push it on a person who may not wish us harm. And since we are all different we have different views on good/bad games, TV shows or anything else.