Tholian Trouble!

Comments

• n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    ojxo4RF.png
    Lul lookit dis
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Guy's that whole thing about putting down the flamethrowers wasn't a suggestion. We get it, there's typos and yall don't like it. They've been made aware of the typos. Now move on and stick to the rest of the stuff with the blog.
    Alright, can this blatant, impressive mistake that has NO TYPO in it be explained, then?
    2021-05-02%2018_34_12-Window.png?raw=1
    Because the fact there is no typo makes it even worse since it was researched to get the correct spelling of the name, but the entity itself is completely wrong. That'd be like saying "Hero of the Union, General Robert Edward Lee".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
    Hey, in at least one alternate reality, he probably WAS the Hero of the Union.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Hey, in at least one alternate reality, he probably WAS the Hero of the Union.​​
    Probably the Mirror Universe, where the Confederates likely won the war, fair point. Maybe a Tholian intern wrote the blog and got confused about which universe they were currently in.
    #TASforSTO
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
    Well, there is some lore somewhere that says the Tholian Assembly exists as a singular entity across all possible universes...I don't remember if that was a STO thing or a pre-Discovery novelverse thing, though.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited May 2021
    Well, there is some lore somewhere that says the Tholian Assembly exists as a singular entity across all possible universes...I don't remember if that was a STO thing or a pre-Discovery novelverse thing, though.​​
    It's both, IIRC, even in the canon, it's implied they are, considering their action in the Tholian Web and In a Mirror Darkly. They just seem not to like it when others cross through dimensions, time or both, intentionally or not. And based on the game, it's implied they don't like it either when others don't even do it, but happen to be in their territory even if technically the Tholians aren't in this territory in this dimension yet, as those TFO show.
    #TASforSTO
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,948 Community Moderator
    I want to say that yes its a pretty low level for being able to participate. Track record with events has been pretty much open to all, with the stipulation that Romulans and Dominion have chosen an ally on top of having the minimum required level to participate.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    Tracking a Tholian through a bunch of what-if dimensions would be fun.
    edited May 2021
    psymantis wrote: »
    Tracking a Tholian through a bunch of what-if dimensions would be fun.
    That's how Voyager-J will have gotten lost in 25th century ESD. Just trust me, I will have was been there.
    #TASforSTO
  • mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    My comments in another post were misinterpreted....so here I go again...

Is this the new business plan? I missed REAL content like LoR or even the so much controversial Delta Rising.
    So much less but still better than nothing from ViL or AoY.

Why is now that just an update makes what it used to be in older years TRUE content. I know opinions are broad and subject to what you call "content". Take LoR or DR as a baseline if you will.

I guess we are supposed to be satisfied with re-mastered TFOs and minor graphics enhancements?

Just wonder where a NEW expansion might come through STO again. Just stating facts and nothing controversial here.

• fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Look forward to seeing Azure Nebula Rescue remastered. It's a fun and challenging TFO.

You can get perfect score, fly into the shield hole in the asteroid and turn around and just kill everything as soon as it spawns, one positioned you dont need to ever even move, one player in each asteroid, leaves one player spare, if you have enough dps its a badly broken TFO
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Can we get the old version of nebula back, 3 ships spawned for rescue during a single run.
    Total waste of time.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Just played the new version of Azure Nebula Rescue for the first time. Turns out the old bug of no new Romulan ships spawning for several minutes is still there. And it makes completing the optionals impossible...
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    is it just me or is the vault a lag nightmare
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Have to agree with what others are saying here. This new "improved" Azure Nebula is as messed up, if not more so, than the original version. Just ran it and the lag was HORRID! We only rescued 3 ships from the 1 spawn-point that would even produce a ship. After the third ships was rescued, no other ships spawned for the rest of the mish. Came nowhere close to completing the optionals.

And folks are telling me that The Vault is even laggier than Azure. So I guess I can either AFK Azure from now on, or lag out of Vault and maybe get hit with an AFK penalty.

Yay for new/revamped content.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • mariqa#4594 mariqa Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Same here, two runs in Azure and only the one spawn in the first play through one and three in the second. Got credit and pretty much base marks but that was it. Like the old days.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Can corroborate that the broken spawn points are still a problem. Four or five minutes left on my run, ships stopped spawning, and I think only two--three at the most--spawn points were working even at the start. On a more minor note, they've got a whole new briefing, but it still has the glitch of the briefing popping up a second time after you get rid of it.

I don't mean to be "that player", but honestly, did they do any bug-testing on this? (And I was already annoyed because I was trying to use the Borg Red Alert to complete a Destroy Dreadnoughts endeavor, only for it to refuse to give me credit for destroying the Unimatrix on every run but the first. Non est frigidus.)
    edited May 2021
    I didn't have any issue with the new Azure Nebula.

So to counterbalance that, it seems the game went all its way to make my first run of the new Vault Ensnared as atrocious as possible lag-wise, dear Great Bird. Nothing like lagging literally every single second, especially in a huge nebula putting static on your screen, or ordering an Emergency Artillery only to realize you went from 8km to 12km thus making the bombing run not work to ruin your day.
    Good thing I had at least a low cooldown on Evasive Maneuvers.
    #TASforSTO
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    It's not so much a case of the spawns are still a problem as it is they made it much, much worse. For the bonus they only had to tweak the spawn weighting so as to prevent the game from unavoidable failure. Assuming its not properly fixed I can see me doing side by side runs on my pc accounts and tabbing between them.

We should probably congratulate cryptic for managing to spawn even one ship to be rescued and adding in the useless trash spawns so folk can avoid the afk penalty as they sit about for 10 minutes doing naff all.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Did Vault, major lag in the first part, still some lag after that but not quite as obvious. Not sure if it's the TFO itself or something else that happened to be going on at the same time.
  • darzil#7269 darzil Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Did Nebula. No issue with ship spawning, but the Tholian group camping the respawn point were a surprise! Hard hitting group to start in the middle of!
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Azure is actually worse than before. Only 2 specific asteroids spawned ships, very slowly, and mostly level 1 ships. Optionals absolutely impossible, even when dispatching them quickly. It looks beautiful, but more useless than ever.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I didn't really have any problem with Azure, basically you just have to camp the spawning points. Seems like it needs a dramatic ending, like you freeing the Liaset or something.

The Vault on the other hand is mostly waiting for your ship to go off red alert, so you can move to the next mob and annhilliate it in 3 seconds
  • hetairai#8501 hetairai Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Played the Azure Nebula on normal on a new lvl 51 too, some points I noticed:
    • Tholian spawn-camping (yes, you only experience that when you dare go into a normal instance and not having solid build)
    • Web-nodes that are either un-targetable or un-shootable, so my above-mentioned toon got to experience more spawn-camping Tholians

I know, it's my fault, though, because I didn't bring a finished built ship into a normal tfo.
    What I dislike the most for the Vault Ensnared is that unlike the original one, the long, highly visible trail you could see from way afar, allowing you to see which web weaver was the closest to complete its goal of completing one part of the web is gone.

So, this, complete with much more Tholians putting you in Red Alert and slowing you down, means you will just target the closest group of Web Weavers, with no guarantee you'll stop the progress of the web.

Also, the Weavers are very prone to bump into the Vault's "pylons" and be only targetable at a specific angle, wasting your time, so they need some pathfinding rework.
    #TASforSTO
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I find Azure's new skybox less interesting to look at than the original, now it's mostly dark blue with a big white patch and a subtle scar wrapping around the rest of the skybox.
    I dunno if it's happening to anyone else, but I very often get my progress for "disable tractor beam" cancelled for no apparent reason, usually on the first and this is rapidly getting frustrating.

It's like the Omega particle mini-game giving you nothing for no reason, except much more frequently, and I checked, it's not leaving/entering red alert, no pet launched, no trait activating/deactivating and no teammate showing up and activating the prompt.
    #TASforSTO