test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Caitians and Cats

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
I wonder how Caitians feel about Humans owning their quadruped feline cousins as pets, did it ruin or improve the federation's chances with making first contact with the Caitians?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    Probably the same way that humans think about seeing a Caitian with a Mugato pet?

They're very different species from entirely different worlds. I might as well have compared Klingons and elephants above. (With the elephants wondering why anyone would keep a Klingon pet of course - assuming he has never met a specific Romulan Senator ;) )
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Probably not any worse than Caitians having pet monkeys or other animal primates as pets would have been to the humans. Humans sometimes have pet monkeys, and some Caitians probably had a cat or the equivalent from their homeworld already.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Probably would be awkward if a pet cat was named after an important Caitian.

There's a funny moment in a Wing Commander novel where a friendly Kilrathi blinks when his human friends call a black cat Thrakhath, mostly because that is also the name of his dead cousin, Prince Thrakhath.
    Also said friendly Kilrathi was actually kinda fond of this... eggnog.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I wonder how many feline species there are on the Caitian HW? that would probably shape the way they interact with housecats.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    they're not alfiq - feral cats are feral cats, and caitians treat them no differently than any other feral animal​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    they're not alfiq - feral cats are feral cats, and caitians treat them no differently than any other feral animal​​
    Alfiq = floofy!
    eaf2d4ffcb315aa2f3ad3e2d99d245e0.jpg
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Humans have pet monkeys - and those are even related to a degree. I would assume Caitians and domestic house cats on earth aren't even related, they just have vaguely familiar looks. And then, cats are animals and Caitians are people. pig-17.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    caitians are animals too - so are humans for that matter...in fact, any living thing that isn't a vegetable or mineral (though, as far as i know, there's no such thing as a living mineral outside fiction) is an animal​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > caitians are animals too - so are humans for that matter...in fact, any living thing that isn't a vegetable or mineral (though, as far as i know, there's no such thing as a living mineral outside fiction) is an animal​​

Which is some very unnecessary wisecracking, don't you think? Of course you are correct, however it is obvious what I mean when I differentiate between animals and people. Why would the average Caitian feel any different towards a cat than the average human towards a monkey? They are distant enough, if at all related, to consider tgem 'just animals'.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I wonder how Caitians feel about Humans owning their quadruped feline cousins as pets, did it ruin or improve the federation's chances with making first contact with the Caitians?

I'm guessing you're not a cat person, or you wouldn't have used the word "owning". It has been my experience that in any relation between H. Sapiens and F. Domesticus there is definite ambiguity about who belongs to who. I may think of her as my cat, but she definitely regards me as her human.
  • Options
    humans do not own cats - cats own can openers with opposable thumbs​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    humans do not own cats - cats own can openers with opposable thumbs
    THIS!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. I'm sure a Caitian seeing how a typical cat owner serves their cat would be quite happy. ;)

That said, my Caitian sci has a Snoopy dog (Snoop on game), but that's just as a Peanuts joke. ;)​​
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Honestly it wouldn't be any different from Saurians and pet lizards. Caitians are after all aliens that look like antromorphic felines but as far as I know there's literally no link between the 2 in canon. So I'd say caitians wouldn't even understand the cat's meows any better then humans do.
  • Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    Think about it from the other way around, on how a pet cat would react to a Caitian, it'd probably start being territorial and seeing the 'bigger cat' as a threat ;)​​
  • Options
    well, given how some animals react to mascots or fursuiters of the same species or a predator species...i'd say the reaction between feral cat and caitian would be much the same​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I feel very strange having a carical pet when playing as a caitian. It just doesnt feel right.

Side note. How is caitian pronounced? Is it a soft t so it rhymes with Haitian or is it a hard t so it sounds like 'cay-tee-an'
  • Options
    there is no official pronunciation, but pronouncing it like haitian sounds way better on the tongue than cay-tee-an​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    there is no official pronunciation, but pronouncing it like haitian sounds way better on the tongue than cay-tee-an​​

Then can I RP a cajun Caitian? I'll need a Caitian ship shaped like an airboat, and a BOFF named Bessie...
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    I feel very strange having a carical pet when playing as a caitian. It just doesnt feel right.

Side note. How is caitian pronounced? Is it a soft t so it rhymes with Haitian or is it a hard t so it sounds like 'cay-tee-an'

I always assumed it's cay-tee-an.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User

I'm guessing you're not a cat person, or you wouldn't have used the word "owning". It has been my experience that in any relation between H. Sapiens and F. Domesticus there is definite ambiguity about who belongs to who. I may think of her as my cat, but she definitely regards me as her human.

There are bumper stickers around here saying Slavery isn't dead.. ask my Cat
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    nrobbiec wrote: »

I always assumed it's cay-tee-an.

That is the way it was pronounced in TAS so it is probably the right one.
  • Options
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > That is the way it was pronounced in TAS so it is probably the right one.

The term 'Caitian' has never been used in any canonical work. TAS didn't even give M'Ress people a name, only third party material did. I think TAS didn't even mention Cait as a planet, though I could be mistaken.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > That is the way it was pronounced in TAS so it is probably the right one.

The term 'Caitian' has never been used in any canonical work. TAS didn't even give M'Ress people a name, only third party material did. I think TAS didn't even mention Cait as a planet, though I could be mistaken.

It is possible that it wasn't TAS I suppose, after hundreds of hours of Trek over the decades things sometimes blur a bit, but I have heard it pronounced like that either in a show or an official interview somewhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > It is possible that it wasn't TAS I suppose, after hundreds of hours of Trek over the decades things sometimes blur a bit, but I have heard it pronounced like that either in a show or an official interview somewhere.

That I don't know. The only interview that comes to my mind is that horrible snippet that for some reason lead people to believe the "twins" were KT Caitians. I don't know hiw anyone could even ask that, but the interviewee clearly didn't understand the question themselves and didn't care about the reply as well. XD I think it was something like 'What? Yeah, sure'.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > It is possible that it wasn't TAS I suppose, after hundreds of hours of Trek over the decades things sometimes blur a bit, but I have heard it pronounced like that either in a show or an official interview somewhere.

That I don't know. The only interview that comes to my mind is that horrible snippet that for some reason lead people to believe the "twins" were KT Caitians. I don't know hiw anyone could even ask that, but the interviewee clearly didn't understand the question themselves and didn't care about the reply as well. XD I think it was something like 'What? Yeah, sure'.

That interview came a lot later than the one I am thinking of (which come to think of it may have been for the fourth or fifth movie, both of which had felinoids), though I think they used the same three syllable pronunciation. For some reason no one seems to care if they were already shown in previous Treks, everyone comes up with their own version of the race (the earliest live action ones were in the background in the fourth movie, those looked a lot like a cross between the Caitians and the Feresan of STO iirc, a sort of anthropomorphic lynx looking people).

The weird thing about the "twins" in that Kelvin movie is that they actually were supposed to be Caitian, the writers wrote them as that, it was in the script descriptions, and the makeup department was instructed to come up with a Caitian makeup. Apparently none of the makeup people knew what a Caitian is supposed to look like and the concept drawings all showed anything but a recognizable Caitian. Then, instead of showing them a picture of M'ress and telling them to try again JJ Abrams took a liking to the design that ended up in the movie and told them to go with it. The writers did not know how incredibly bad the makeup was botched until much later.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    They're referenced in Discovery but I can't remember if they were named by species.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >

That interview came a lot later than the one I am thinking of (which come to think of it may have been for the fourth or fifth movie, both of which had felinoids), though I think they used the same three syllable pronunciation. For some reason no one seems to care if they were already shown in previous Treks, everyone comes up with their own version of the race (the earliest live action ones were in the background in the fourth movie, those looked a lot like a cross between the Caitians and the Feresan of STO iirc, a sort of anthropomorphic lynx looking people).

The weird thing about the "twins" in that Kelvin movie is that they actually were supposed to be Caitian, the writers wrote them as that, it was in the script descriptions, and the makeup department was instructed to come up with a Caitian makeup. Apparently none of the makeup people knew what a Caitian is supposed to look like and the concept drawings all showed anything but a recognizable Caitian. Then, instead of showing them a picture of M'ress and telling them to try again JJ Abrams took a liking to the design that ended up in the movie and told them to go with it. The writers did not know how incredibly bad the makeup was botched until much later.

well...star trek does have a bunch of anthropomorphic animals as aliens like Caitians, Gorn and TOS versions of Tellarites, JJ probably didn't want to associate his star trek movies with the furry community, I would have preferred the anthro cat look myself.
  • Options
    speaking of catfolk, the kzinti were mentioned in picard by riker - assuming the species was named there...is the K silent or spoken?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

This discussion has been closed.