test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Caitians and Cats

2»

Comments

• nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > speaking of catfolk, the kzinti were mentioned in picard by riker - assuming the species was named there...is the K silent or spoken?​​

Riker pronounces it as ek-zin-tee
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    caitians are animals too - so are humans for that matter...in fact, any living thing that isn't a vegetable or mineral (though, as far as i know, there's no such thing as a living mineral outside fiction) is an animal​​

I'm a proud mineral, thenk you very much! :smiley:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    caitians are animals too - so are humans for that matter...in fact, any living thing that isn't a vegetable or mineral (though, as far as i know, there's no such thing as a living mineral outside fiction) is an animal

I'm a proud mineral, thenk you very much! :smiley:

so you identify as a horta?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    They're referenced in Discovery but I can't remember if they were named by species.

Pike's Science officer named them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnCD4XOFMok

Around 1:34.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    But since he was an idiot, he can be safely ignored.

It's not clear at all why the species of his roommate was relevant anyway. Of course his story was cut short, but it didn't really seem to get any more coherent, really.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Yeah it doesn't make sense why being a caitian hybrid would make a difference. Unless the species is renowned for its scientific prowess or something.

Of maybe its because cats can fits and sits so we defer to their authority on spatial dynamics.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Yeah it doesn't make sense why being a caitian hybrid would make a difference. Unless the species is renowned for its scientific prowess or something.

Even then it's questionable as scientific prowess is a learned trait not an inherent one, that said Conelly(sic) was a braggart and an Idiot so it's possible leaning on a stereotype in an effort to look better.
    edited August 2020

Of maybe its because cats can fits and sits so we defer to their authority on spatial dynamics.

They are described as intelligent in STO. Of course, the only species described as dumb are the Pakleds so that may not mean that much either.
    spiritborn wrote: »

Even then it's questionable as scientific prowess is a learned trait not an inherent one, that said Conelly(sic) was a braggart and an Idiot so it's possible leaning on a stereotype in an effort to look better.

Yeah, probably this.

If
    A) he hadn't been talking to Burnham and
    B ) there were more known than just Spock

he might have referred to his roommate as 'part-Vulcan' to do just that (so, without making it too much seem a personal attack against Burnham or Spock rather than making himself look good).

edited August 2020
    how the hell did i miss that? i saw that episode...well, i guess there IS an official pronunciation, and it is indeed pronounced like haitian, not cay-tee-an - which doesn't mean it's the RIGHT pronunciation, just that it's official, like how everyone in STO pronounces j'ula's name jUH-oola and not joola...which is the correct pronunciation

as for connoly mentioning his roommate's species, given what they were doing at the time, it probably had something to do with the fact that, for whatever reason, sci-fi tends to portray felinoid species as being natural pilots or navigators or whatever...like having great movement coordination on the ground somehow translates to having it in the air or in zero-g as well​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    how the hell did i miss that? i saw that episode...well, i guess there IS an official pronunciation, and it is indeed pronounced like haitian, not cay-tee-an - which doesn't mean it's the RIGHT pronunciation, just that it's official, like how everyone in STO pronounces j'ula's name jUH-oola and not joola...which is the correct pronunciation

as for connoly mentioning his roommate's species, given what they were doing at the time, it probably had something to do with the fact that, for whatever reason, sci-fi tends to portray felinoid species as being natural pilots or navigators or whatever...like having great movement coordination on the ground somehow translates to having it in the air or in zero-g as well​​

Guess I wasn't the only one wondering why no one remembered it then. :p

We can only really guess what the purpose of mentioning their species was. I'm more convinced that it has something to do with a perceived higher intelligence of the species, but there isn't really that much to base any explanation on to be fair.

He's just mentioning the species and then his story is about to get back to how awesome HE is and how he put them in their place.

well, he IS awesome...an awesome stain on the side of an asteroid​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Nah, the pod is likely doing a much better job even at that. :)

Those things looked marvellous. I wouldn't mind having one to travel to work.

yeah, but i'll take mine without the fidget spinner bits...unless those are supposed to be stabilizers, and thus required​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Oh, well, that settles this then. It's Cay-shuun. pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    To quote that Turian fella in Mass Effect 2 "all humans are racist"
    and speciest in almost every iteration - though, the IoM from W40K takes it to the extreme...and then some​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Considering that the caitians were originally from the Klingon empire world of Ferasa and were forced to find a new home world after their cousins the ferasans started used a psychotropic flower to undergo a feral enhancement and started to attack them
This discussion has been closed.