test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Global Chat Sunset

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I don't know why Holodeck-tribble chat would not be gone as well. They are different shards.

This is sad, though. I haven't really used this in years but it was a great feature early in the game's life when you might want to keep tabs on what people are doing in Champions and Neverwinter and possibly hop over to join them. Sadly, I think part of this feature getting less value is the inherent grind added to everything, pushing you to focus on doing some things every day in a game, but you don't really have time to do it for all of them.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    If it means a reduction in lag, then I'm all for removing ignored, unused or forgotten features

It won't. The chat servers are different to the log in and game servers.
    It's cost cutting more than anything, imo. There has been a long stated desire, by Cryptic, to divest themselves of "legacy tech" (something which Kael stated himself on stream back in the foundry sunset stream).

This is just another step on the road to STO shutdown.

Don't be a cassandra about this. I agree with the move from legacy tech to more modern systems. No, this is not another step on the road to STO shutdown. This means they care about the product as well as their other games. This is a good thing.

I dont see how this is good, We wont be able to talk to our friends that switched to other cryptic games.

It is one thing to not see how this is good and not being able to talk to your friends that switched to other Cryptic games. It is another to say it is just another step on the road to STO shutdown. That is pronouncing doom.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    All our cross-game Chats were moved to Discord a long time ago. Can chat with friends who are playing ANY other game, or none at all.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    If it means a reduction in lag, then I'm all for removing ignored, unused or forgotten features

It's cost cutting more than anything, imo. There has been a long stated desire, by Cryptic, to divest themselves of "legacy tech" (something which Kael stated himself on stream back in the foundry sunset stream).

Don't be a cassandra about this. I agree with the move from legacy tech to more modern systems. No, this is not another step on the road to STO shutdown. This means they care about the product as well as their other games. This is a good thing.

I dont see how this is good, We wont be able to talk to our friends that switched to other cryptic games.

Yeah. My fleets enjoyed the ability to keep in contact with others regardless of whether they were playing STO, Neverwinter, or Champs. This is definitely disappointing!
  • mathewprime1mathewprime1 Member Posts: 103 Arc User

It is one thing to not see how this is good and not being able to talk to your friends that switched to other Cryptic games. It is another to say it is just another step on the road to STO shutdown. That is pronouncing doom.

Yeah.. I see what you mean there.
    Fleet Admiral Mathew Prime.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Hmmm, so the small community I am a part of will soon be no more. Sad to see it go but honestly it wasn't very active anymore anyway due to changes made across all three current games that really ticked off a lot of folks and as a result they left. It'll even more quiet than it has been. And the biggest part of the community was in Champions so it's likely I'll never see anyone else ever chat again.

And since I can't see anything in zone chat despite having it enabled*, and haven't been able to for years across any of Cryptic's games, I guess I'll just be in my own little bubble. I may as well be playing a single player offline game at this point.
    qqqqii wrote: »
    All our cross-game Chats were moved to Discord a long time ago. Can chat with friends who are playing ANY other game, or none at all.

I've never understood how moving chats to Discord is a better thing. Having to switch between the game and a browser to chat seems like much more work than it's worth. Unless there is something I'm missing, which I suppose is possible since I don't keep up on that kind of stuff. If I can't keep up on it in game then it may as well not even exist.

Oh well, Cryptic cutting costs where they can to keep the lights on is needed apparently. It may not be a direct cost saving measure due to server load, but one that they can now shift development time away from, since I'm sure some time was needed in order to make sure it continued to work through all the updates.

I wonder what will be next to be cut.

RIP

Exploration Clusters
    The Foundry
    XMPP Chat
    Global Chat
    and whatever else I've missed that's been removed from the game

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Hmmm, so the small community I am a part of will soon be no more. Sad to see it go but honestly it wasn't very active anymore anyway due to changes made across all three current games that really ticked off a lot of folks and as a result they left. It'll even more quiet than it has been. And the biggest part of the community was in Champions so it's likely I'll never see anyone else ever chat again.

And since I can't see anything in zone chat despite having it enabled*, and haven't been able to for years across any of Cryptic's games, I guess I'll just be in my own little bubble. I may as well be playing a single player offline game at this point.
    qqqqii wrote: »

I've never understood how moving chats to Discord is a better thing. Having to switch between the game and a browser to chat seems like much more work than it's worth. Unless there is something I'm missing, which I suppose is possible since I don't keep up on that kind of stuff. If I can't keep up on it in game then it may as well not even exist.

Oh well, Cryptic cutting costs where they can to keep the lights on is needed apparently. It may not be a direct cost saving measure due to server load, but one that they can now shift development time away from, since I'm sure some time was needed in order to make sure it continued to work through all the updates.

I wonder what will be next to be cut.

RIP

Exploration Clusters
    The Foundry
    XMPP Chat
    Global Chat
    and whatever else I've missed that's been removed from the game

A lot of gamers have two screens and I always assumed the others do what I do which is play Star Trek in Window mode maximized on one screen and the other stuff on the 2nd screen. As long as you are in Window mode maximized there is no interruption the mouse flows between the screens and apps.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    It never even occurred to me that people would have 2 monitors set up. That's something I don't personally have the need for and I have no way of setting up a second monitor anyway. I'm not a serious enough gamer to even look into doing that. If that's how others are managing it then cool. It makes perfect sense and if they have the resources then why not. :)
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • megaskullmonmegaskullmon Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Uh people on Champijons are going insane to. They're saying this is another step to shuting down champions soo yeah this is getting odd.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I like being able to play Neverwinter and still follow the NoP Public Service channel... If that'll be affected, it'll be a big bummer...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I tried the 2 monitor setup and couldn't stand it, the second screen was WAY to distracting and made me lose focus. That said, I do have Discord on my phone and can easily use it that way to communicate between games if I ever had the need (I mostly just use Discord for WoW raid nights though).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    I'm one of those oddballs who still only runs a single monitor. Mostly because I don't have the space for a second.
    I have Discord as well and works fine. I can be playing STO, FF14, or even C&C3 and still communicate with others. I also happen to have Steam in case I need the Steam overlay to talk to people while playing a game.

I just don't see why people are flipping out and calling DOOOOOOOOM over this. It ONLY worked between Cryptic games, of which there are only 3, soon to be 4. Logistics wise... its probably turning into a nightmare to maintain between 3 games as it is. Resources that could be put to better use in other areas.

Is global chat convenient? Yes. For those that use it.
    Does the entire playerbase use it? Nope.
    Was this connected to the new R&D ship? No! It would have released regardless of Global Chat staying or going.

Why are people flipping out like its the end of the world? The game's 10 years old and still going strong.
    I swear people are just looking for reasons to complain and declare they're quitting now. And over the most stupid things too! And coming up with conspiracy theories about sacrificing elements for cash grabs.
    I can understand complaints about game breaking bugs and stuff that actually matters and impacts normal gameplay. But things on the side like Admiralty rewards and things not everyone uses like global chat being treated like they are all that matter?
    I'm honestly at a loss as to why the meltdowns.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I don't even use chat in-game, so I didn't even know this was a thing. I guess I'll just go back and have a rhetorical conversation with myself. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • alriialrii Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    WHAT

Cryptic, please, PLEASE no

i have way too many pals spread across the games and while we might have our personal favorites, when a bunch of us are online, we like to coordinate and hang out on the same game

in fact, i have personally introduced many, many players to your other titles via this feature

this is one of the more unique and certainly one of the absolute best features of a Cryptic title, please, please do not remove this convenience
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,112 Arc User
    The most enjoyable experience of this was back when STO closed beta started (You weren't supposed to mention that you were in the Beta) - BUT - your friends in Champions could still PM you; and on the friends list, they would see a strange zone name listed.

The upshot was: People in CO started messing friends in the STO closed beta; and some of us (like me) ASSUMED that "hey, since he's messaging me - he MUST be part of the closed beta too." ...except, WRONG!

The funny thing is; at the time Cryptic didn't think this was possible but once they found out they 'fixed' it, and no reprisals were given as hey, it wasn't the PLAYERS fault Cryptic didn't know the full capabilities of it's own in game chat server setup. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I really don't give a heck about this. Never used it and never will.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • ashtin1979ashtin1979 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    mneme0 wrote: »
    Good decision.

Moderate ESD while you're at it. :/
    you have better luck of getting a flock of winged Pegasus' riding through a field of four leaf clovers.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    To be honest "in game chat" in this day and age is largely unneeded. There are third-party programs like Discord and Skype that provide a better experience, that are free and are largely superior.

I'd go so far as to shut down Zone Chat as well as shutting down the in-game mail system. It is mostly a joke ANYWAY, it lacks simple features that would make it actually useful, as it stands it's nothing more than a way to get exchange notifications.

Game would be far better off if we removed all in-game communication features and put them on Discord or similar. We could keep track using the STO Wiki of which channels were what, and that would free up resources that Cryptic can use for actual game content -- I mean R&D Pack Content... as they don't actually produce "game content" anymore. XD
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    themarie wrote: »
    To be honest "in game chat" in this day and age is largely unneeded. There are third-party programs like Discord and Skype that provide a better experience, that are free and are largely superior.

I'd go so far as to shut down Zone Chat as well as shutting down the in-game mail system. It is mostly a joke ANYWAY, it lacks simple features that would make it actually useful, as it stands it's nothing more than a way to get exchange notifications.

Game would be far better off if we removed all in-game communication features and put them on Discord or similar. We could keep track using the STO Wiki of which channels were what, and that would free up resources that Cryptic can use for actual game content -- I mean R&D Pack Content... as they don't actually produce "game content" anymore. XD

how about no.
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    themarie wrote: »

how about no.

I agree with you.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • daletheveteran#6739 daletheveteran Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @captainoblivous said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > It won't. The chat servers are different to the log in and game servers.
    > It's cost cutting more than anything, imo. There has been a long stated desire, by Cryptic, to divest themselves of "legacy tech" (something which Kael stated himself on stream back in the foundry sunset stream).
    >
    > This is just another step on the road to STO shutdown.
    I hope STO does not shut down anytime soon, its been a ruff last few years in real life and after a very long break, I have just returned to game and am starting to relearn and enjoy the game.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Uh people on Champijons are going insane to. They're saying this is another step to shuting down champions soo yeah this is getting odd.

Hasn't Champions been "on the verge of shutdown" for 6+ years? Personally, the only way I see STO offlining before Champions is revocation of license...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    So it looks like STO/CO/NWO players have not lost the ability to communicate cross-server. Instead it's the ability to connect to the chat server from outside of the game that has been axed. seems intact so far in game.
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • maddscottmaddscott Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    Well, I actually used this. What are we paying for again?

Does this affect Holodeck<->Tribble chat?

I'd say you are probably paying for Star Trek Online, but it could be one of the others as well.. But IMHO, your "payments" should be benefiting the game you are paying for; and not entitle you to universal everything.. I've never used it, never cared for other games chats in my STO chat, and as far as that goes.. would be nice if they put the STO console chat elsewhere as well.. Just my opinion.
    dareau wrote: »

Hasn't Champions been "on the verge of shutdown" for 6+ years? Personally, the only way I see STO offlining before Champions is revocation of license...

Yeah I have been playing the game for 11 years. If the game was going to be shut down. it would have been already. I just think people are looking for something to complain about these days.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    Yeah I have been playing the game for 11 years. If the game was going to be shut down. it would have been already. I just think people are looking for something to complain about these days.

Agreed. Feels like every LITTLE thing is now the end of the world. Not only that, just the mere announcement of something will cause a meltdown before we even KNOW any details or see how it actually affects us. Just instant kneejerk rage, DOOOOOOOOOOOM, and conspiracy theories. Hasn't been this bad for a while.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

Agreed. Feels like every LITTLE thing is now the end of the world. Not only that, just the mere announcement of something will cause a meltdown before we even KNOW any details or see how it actually affects us. Just instant kneejerk rage, DOOOOOOOOOOOM, and conspiracy theories. Hasn't been this bad for a while.

Well this system has been around since 2009. The fact it lasted this long without a rework or update is impressive to me.

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    The weird thing is that the only way cross-game chat overhead would significantly increase is if the concurrency went through the roof, and neither STO nor Champions seem to be significantly busier than they were before (I am not sure about Neverwinter, I have not played it long enough to tell though it does not seem exactly crowded either). If they are worried about the new game causing a surge they could have just not hooked it up to the same system.

I only used the system a little bit since I never joined a guild in CO and usually just keep in the STO loop from there but I am here in STO more often than CO. Still, it is a sad thing that it is going away.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2020
    Yea I think it is a bit sad to see this go, still it seems they have made the decision. :'(

Still, I didn't think it was going to save them resources, by removing a shared cross game chat server. :*
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • fleudermausfleudermaus Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Greetings Captains,

On Monday, March 9 2020, we will stop supporting Global Chat across Cryptic games. This decision was not made lightly but was necessitated by the resources required to sustain this feature and the standard of quality we strive for across our games.

The following features will no longer be available:

• Cross game chat (including cross-game private message)
    • Cross game private user-owned channels
    • Cross game friend/ignore list
    Cross channels that currently exist will remain within each game, with the messages staying within the shard the message originated from. For example, if you are a member of a channel on both STO and NW, you will still have the channel available in both games but only see messages that originate in the game you are currently on.

>}--;--'--,----
    LOVECAREHOPESUPPORTCOMMUNITYSHARINGPEACE