test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Global Chat Sunset

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Greetings Captains,

On Monday, March 9 2020, we will stop supporting Global Chat across Cryptic games. This decision was not made lightly but was necessitated by the resources required to sustain this feature and the standard of quality we strive for across our games.

The following features will no longer be available:

• Cross game chat (including cross-game private message)
• Cross game private user-owned channels
• Cross game friend/ignore list
Cross channels that currently exist will remain within each game, with the messages staying within the shard the message originated from. For example, if you are a member of a channel on both STO and NW, you will still have the channel available in both games but only see messages that originate in the game you are currently on.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Used to be a thing for me when I was also playing Neverwinter. Not so much anymore. And with the upcoming Magic MMO... probably straining resources.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Never used it, never will... nothing changed for me, better if the servers are more responsive
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Well, I actually used this. What are we paying for again?

Does this affect Holodeck<->Tribble chat?
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
    Not sure about Holodeck to Tribble. But STO to Neverwinter to Champions will no longer work.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Didn't even know this was a thing. So this doesn't really affect me
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Used to be a thing for me when I was also playing Neverwinter. Not so much anymore. And with the upcoming Magic MMO... probably straining resources.

Yea, like you I've also mostly stopped playing Neverwinter in the last year. Will be sad to not message friends in other shards, like you I'm curious why, with Magic coming online soon though, be sad to not reconnect with old friends. :o
    0zxlclk.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    mez83 wrote: »
    Didn't even know this was a thing. So this doesn't really affect me

I only knew about it because I sometimes see notifications of friends logging on and off when they are playing other games.

It's not a feature I'll miss. There's little point in knowing that a fleet mate or friend is online when you can't play with him anyway.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Never knew there was a feature like this. O well.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Good decision.

Moderate ESD while you're at it. :/
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    yet another thing killed to make way for more lootboxes
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
    yet another thing killed to make way for more lootboxes

That is actually a good point.

@ambassadorkael#6946

When will we see an end to 'person x has won item y' notifications? If I had to choose one feature that really doesn't add anything to the game...
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    giphy.gif
    1xe027q.png
  • thefish#2706 thefish Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    If it means a reduction in lag, then I'm all for removing ignored, unused or forgotten features
    doin ma best :)

• captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    If it means a reduction in lag, then I'm all for removing ignored, unused or forgotten features

It won't. The chat servers are different to the log in and game servers.
    It's cost cutting more than anything, imo. There has been a long stated desire, by Cryptic, to divest themselves of "legacy tech" (something which Kael stated himself on stream back in the foundry sunset stream).

This is just another step on the road to STO shutdown.

I need a beer.

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

It's easy to see this as well, when the server stops responding and you can tell you've DCed if you look at chat you'll see that it's still going even though everything else is frozen.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    When will we see an end to 'person x has won item y' notifications? If I had to choose one feature that really doesn't add anything to the game...

You can turn that off in Notifications.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

But then we can't spam people with questions like "do you want that?" or "I'll give you [insert ridiculous lowball price] for that!" 🤣🤣 (Everytime I've won a ship I've had this happen to me)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

I'm aware of that.

What I'm pointing out here is that if actual chat functions are going to be abandoned, pointless advertising that is of no use (and the broadcasting of which can indeed not be controlled by the user to whom it applies) to anyone might as well also be removed.

• pwemademedothispwemademedothis Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    If you've friends IRL who play the other games it's good run into them and be able to chat for a bit. I used to play Champions Online and will miss not happening into those I know still there.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Would have been a pretty cool feature if I played any other Cryptic games. But I don't. Hopefully Tribble to Holodeck still works.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User

I'm aware of that.

What I'm pointing out here is that if actual chat functions are going to be abandoned, pointless advertising that is of no use (and the broadcasting of which can indeed not be controlled by the user to whom it applies) to anyone might as well also be removed.

Considering that one of the things (cross-game chat) takes a bunch of resources, and the other (in-game notifications) takes very little, I'm not sure why you're trying to equate the two. Outside of the "omg, f2p games have loot boxes! How dare they!" thing, of course.

(personally, I never knew this existed. Of course, I have no friends list and don't chat with anyone, so I'd never have used it in the first place. /shrug)
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User

It's cost cutting more than anything, imo. There has been a long stated desire, by Cryptic, to divest themselves of "legacy tech" (something which Kael stated himself on stream back in the foundry sunset stream).

Don't be a cassandra about this. I agree with the move from legacy tech to more modern systems. No, this is not another step on the road to STO shutdown. This means they care about the product as well as their other games. This is a good thing.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • mathewprime1mathewprime1 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »

Don't be a cassandra about this. I agree with the move from legacy tech to more modern systems. No, this is not another step on the road to STO shutdown. This means they care about the product as well as their other games. This is a good thing.

I dont see how this is good, We wont be able to talk to our friends that switched to other cryptic games.
    Fleet Admiral Mathew Prime.
  • xparibaxxparibax Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Dear Cryptic,
    Please reverse this decision, I have many friends spread across the three games and the cross-chat is the only way of keeping in contact with them. It's always been a useful feature I've enjoyed using over the years. This is a detriment to the player-base in a massive way. Please do not do this.
    -Pariba
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User

another "doom" statement
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    To be blunt honest, I actually like this feature!

I'm apart a community that splits time between STO and Champions. And the Cross Game chat is as much apart of my gaming experience as anything else.

WIll this affect my playing? Not really. It will diminish what connections I have to the community I mentioned though. And that rubs me a little raw.
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

But then we can't spam people with questions like "do you want that?" or "I'll give you [insert ridiculous lowball price] for that!" 🤣🤣 (Everytime I've won a ship I've had this happen to me)

I prefer the Neverwinter system where it just releases the character name instead of the account name.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    Cross channels that currently exist will remain within each game, with the messages staying within the shard the message originated from. For example, if you are a member of a channel on both STO and NW, you will still have the channel available in both games but only see messages that originate in the game you are currently on.

I have a question.

The channels above have persons designated as owner, administrator, and operator for the purpose of moderation.

So uh

what happens to that channel in the other games where it's cut off from those people? Does its owner still own it, or does no one own it and you're just creating tons of unmoderated channels
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    These guys at cryptic dont care and wont respond to a single comment here, likely dont really even read them either.
    its fine though, they shoveled out another lockbox ship and killed a feature in the games to do it.
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    Can we have an update on Holodeck<->Tribble chat? Many of us still use that. The other games cross chat I have not used in years.