test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official "Rise of Skywalker" Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!)

wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
Hey, guys, your friendly neighborhood Polish cavalryman here.

I'm putting this thread up in advance of Rise of the Skywalker to corral all discussion of Episode IX in one place, so folks who haven't seen the film yet can avoid spoilers. If you see somebody start another thread or trying to spoil the film, please tag @baddmoonrizin, @darkbladejk, or myself so the posts can be moved or blanked as needed.
latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Many will be seeing this tomorrow, and some already have. What are you hopes or expectations going in? Or if you have seen it, what did you think?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I am not expecting to see it for a long time, if ever. The last Star Wars I saw in the theater was The Force Awakens and it was very disappointing, the typical Abrams mess (unlike some people I liked the new characters, but the idiotic, immersion-breaking plot elements were a complete turnoff). And I just saw TLJ this month and cannot say I missed anything by not going to see it in the theater or paying extra to see it online, and it had me lower my expectations even further.

At this point SW9 would have to be parsecs (not just light years) ahead of the other two in story quality, a phenomenon similar to the original Star Wars movie, to get me to pay anything extra to see it (and since it is unlikely Disney will release it on one of the few streaming services I have access to that means I probably will not see it period).
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I have no expectations of anything except judhging the movie by my own opinions and not giving a hairy rats TRIBBLE about anyone else's.

So...why did you bring up other people's opinions if you don't care about them?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > So...why did you bring up other people's opinions if you don't care about them?

Why does that matter to you? Seriously though, it is a response to the rant above my post, to the literal hundreds of times in the last year that I have been insulted for refusing to agree with people trash talking JJ, Rian Johnson, The Last Jedi, etc. Such bullies deserve to know they will not win with me.

Just to be clear, you are saying you don't care about other people's opinions on these movies?
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Just to be clear, you are saying you don't care about other people's opinions on these movies?

To be clear, no I don't, they can have any opinion they want, makes no difference to me. What I care about is if they (A) try to present their opinion as if it is concrete fact that ALL must agree with or (B) insult, berate, or harrass anyone who disagrees with them.

For example, the post from Phoenix in this thread walks the knife edge of "declaring opinion as fact", so without insulting him, attacking his opinions which he has a right to, or anything of that nature I presented a different viewpoint.

Uh huh. Well, since you are calling Phoenix out as offending your sensibilities, exactly what part of his post are you so offended by? In his post I see him clearly saying how he (?) feels about the movies, but nowhere in his post did I see him saying anyone who disagreed with him is wrong. So which part is offending you so badly?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Uh huh. Well, since you are calling Phoenix out as offending your sensibilities, exactly what part of his post are you so offended by? In his post I see him clearly saying how he (?) feels about the movies, but nowhere in his post did I see him saying anyone who disagreed with him is wrong. So which part is offending you so badly?

I already clearly spelled it out. At no point in the post does he say "in my opinion" or "I feel" he makes statements as if they were facts when they aren't, which I already said. He says about The Force Awakens (in my opinion the best film in the franchise so far) "the typical Abrams mess", clearly implying that Abrams makes little if anything else. The whole post is like that, and claiming you don't see it when you have called out people including me for the exact same thing is disingenuous at best.

Hey bud, I'm sorry you are so upset about discussing these movies and I hope you enjoy this new one!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    Okay, stop attacking each other, please.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Why does that matter to you? Seriously though, it is a response to the rant above my post, to the literal hundreds of times in the last year that I have been insulted for refusing to agree with people trash talking JJ, Rian Johnson, The Last Jedi, etc. Such bullies deserve to know they will not win with me.

I actually loved The Last Jedi. I'm not going to say it was flawless and the best Star Wars movie ever, but it beat the prequels to all hell and it did a lot of really interesting stuff. I was seriously put in mind of Knights of the Old Republic II, in that I think a lot of people didn't like it because it dared to actually question a lot of what previous Star Wars movies have done, rather than simply feeding on nostalgia the way The Force Awakens did. This article explains a lot of what I liked about it.

I'm apprehensive about Rise of Skywalker mainly because J.J.'s back in charge. The man's barely had an original thought since Lost. The advance reviews have me worried: the way a friend put it, "Rian Johnson got handed a movie full of empty mystery boxes" -- that's a term Abrams himself came up with to describe his writing style, he's even given Ted Talks about it -- and spent the whole film merrily setting fire to them and going off in a new direction.
    • The crappy wannabe Palpatine? Heck with him, he was ugly.
    • The crappy wannabe Vader? He decides to be his own thing.
    • The crappy wannabe Rebellion? They get massacred because they failed to figure out until it was too late that 1) guerrilla forces rarely win set-piece battles and survive by running away from superior opponents, and 2) random underworld figures usually aren't in it for your revolution.
    • Rey? I especially like this one. She's not a Skywalker, heir to a dynasty, she's a Force-sensitive nobody whose parents sold her for drug money. With the addition of the Force-sensitive stabIe boy in the stinger, it completely upends Lucas's romantic monarchist overtones and turns Force-sensitivity into something almost democratic.

And now Abrams is trying to backwheel whatever he can get away with to justify something resembling the redux of Return of the Jedi he had planned. Even brought friggin' Palpatine back from the dead because apparently it didn't suck enough when Dark Empire did that.

----

Anyway, that's my last post here for a while. Not going to be seeing it until after Christmas (it's become kind of a tradition with me and my aunts).

EDIT: typo
    Post edited by starswordc on
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Rey? I especially like this one. She's not a Skywalker, heir to a dynasty, she's a Force-sensitive nobody whose parents sold her for drug money. With the addition of the Force-sensitive stabIe boy in the stinger, it completely upends Lucas's romantic monarchist overtones and turns Force-sensitivity into something almost democratic.

And that would have been better than Rey's origin. The HISHE version of Last Jedi where Rey is Kenobi's Granddaughter would have been better as well. Speaking of HISHE, it will be interesting to see what they do with this movie.

From what I heard about this movie, The Mandalorian is the sequel to the original trilogy. My main problem with these movies is what they did to Luke. Adding Mara Jade to the movies would have been far better than making Luke a broken man.
  • Options
    > @reyan01 said:
    > @wingedhussar#7584
    > @darkbladejk
    > @badmoonrisen
    >
    > Post above this one contains MASSIVE spoilers :#

The title of the thread says spoilers. That means...spoilers.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    You are clrearly confused. The title of this thread was made by the mod that created it. It is not the title of the thread that was merged into this thread. So yeah, the mod created title of this thread says there are spoilers.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Also, no film in the franchise has ever said that only certain bloodlines can use the Force. In fact the Jedi Code has a vow of chastity, so they are not supposed to have children. People like Luke and Ben aren't supposed to exist.

Actually, they don't, they're just not allowed to take lovers or marry. Lucas said in an interview that Jedi are allowed to have casual sex, and even then it was relatively common for them to blow off the "no lovers" rule (the technical term is "pulling a Bindo").

It's all about the symbolism. Lucas draws heavily on romanticist high fantasy for the worldbuilding of Star Wars. Luke's archetype is the lost prince trying to overthrow the usurper because destiny says so.

Rey is not. She's a random peasant with no connection to anything from the ancien regime who's just trying to survive, somebody a show like Game of Thrones would cast as an extra. But her survival means restoring and hopefully improving on the ancien regime.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Also, Rey isn't a random nobody, Kylo was lying.

Right. And on that note...
    Also, no film in the franchise has ever said that only certain bloodlines can use the Force. In fact the Jedi Code has a vow of chastity, so they are not supposed to have children. People like Luke and Ben aren't supposed to exist.

Even though Jedi obviously broke that rule, let's not forget they certainly weren't the only Force users around ;)

In theory, all Jedi could have a Sith or non-Jedi Force user somewhere in their family tree that "passed" the ability on to them.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    What Lucas says does not match what is on screen in the prequels nor in Clone Wars, both of which are canon.
    Really, Az?

Clone Wars is a kids sci-fi action show on American TV, which is as puritanical as ever. They're not going to discuss Jedi picking up random strangers in a bar for stress relief. And what the prequels actually say is that "attachment is forbidden, possession is forbidden". The prequel-era Jedi aren't allowed to have emotional attachments deeper than friendship, that's all it is. If Luke decided to amp it up to "no sex ever" in his new Jedi order, that's on him. Wouldn't be the only time in the interregnum he totally blew it.

Here's the source for Lucas's statement by the way. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1989505.stm
    Also, Rey isn't a random nobody, Kylo was lying.
    Yeah, from the advance reviews I fully expect that's the "big thing" that Abrams apparently backwheeled. And if that's indeed the case, I disagree with the creative decision: the story and her character are better if she's an entirely new character unconnected to what came before. For Pete's sake, that was one of the big points of The Last Jedi: it was a film dedicated to metatextual commentary on Star Wars itself, the fact that the franchise was ultimately written for children, and children naturally grow up and eventually hand things off to a new generation.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    A new comic came out this week called 'The Rise of Kylo Ren'. It doesn't contain spoilers for this movie, but it gives the background on the Knights of Ren, what happened to Kylo immediately after the Jedi Temple was destroyed, and his relationship with Snoke. And since everything Disney is publishing is now considered canon, I guess it is.

And on that note, that's actually what I was looking forward to about these movies finally being over. Now the books can actually tell the story of what happened between VI and VII without having to worry about spoiling the upcoming movies. And honestly, I care more about seeing Luke and Leia and Han help build the New Republic and Luke's new Jedi Temple than I do about the entire story of this sequel trilogy.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The movies aren't over though.

The "saga" movies are over. That's what I meant by "these" movies. We all know they will keep making "Star Wars" franchise movies forever.
    Plus, for story between Jedi and Awakens The Madalorian is 5 years after ROTJ.

Yes, but it's clearly not focused on the story of what Luke and Leia and Han are doing. That's the stuff I'm interested in seeing now that these "saga" movies are finished.
    By the way, can anyone reming me how to do the hidden spoiler thing?

You put the word "spoiler" inside brackets at the start and then "/spoiler" inside brackets at the end.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Looking forward to this. Can't wait to see things rise! (Suns, bread, Skywalkers...)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Just saw it. My short summary is that I personally think it's underwhelming for a finale. The first act was very lackluster, but it improved later on. However it survives mostly on nostalgia and has a few great moments. It's true to it's formula and at no point brings anything unexpected or surprising to the table (with one single exception!) which is as good as it is bad - it all depends on what you expect. It is filled to the brim with wasted opportunities though - so many things big and small which would have made arcs or even just single scenes amazing, but they just didn't do it.

A mixed bag as with the entire sequel trilogy - it's a neat nostalgia trip, very classic, good actor chemistry for the most part and fun. But as a whole underwhelming and wasting a lot of potential.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    > @starswordc said:
    > (Quote)
    > Really, Az?
    >
    > Clone Wars is a kids sci-fi action show on American TV, which is as puritanical as ever. They're not going to discuss Jedi picking up random strangers in a bar for stress relief. And what the prequels actually say is that "attachment is forbidden, possession is forbidden". The prequel-era Jedi aren't allowed to have emotional attachments deeper than friendship, that's all it is. If Luke decided to amp it up to "no sex ever" in his new Jedi order, that's on him. Wouldn't be the only time in the interregnum he totally blew it.
    >
    > Here's the source for Lucas's statement by the way. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1989505.stm
    > (Quote)
    > Yeah, from the advance reviews I fully expect that's the "big thing" that Abrams apparently backwheeled. And if that's indeed the case, I disagree with the creative decision: the story and her character are better if she's an entirely new character unconnected to what came before. For Pete's sake, that was one of the big points of The Last Jedi: it was a film dedicated to metatextual commentary on Star Wars itself, the fact that the franchise was ultimately written for children, and children naturally grow up and eventually hand things off to a new generation.

Clearly you didn't watch Clone Wars, I have. The subject came up in depth due to Obi Wan's relationship with the ruler of the planet Mandalore. The series is also not nearly the kiddie show you believe, especially in the later seasons.

Moving on to the prequels I guess you missed the whole of episode 2 and the conversations between Anakin and Padme and Obi Wan where it was clearly stated that even going back for Padme would get Anakin expelled from the order, where being together would (and did) destroy their lives. See I don't cherry pick from parts, I embrace all of canon .

On the matter of Jedi chastity, again as I said Hamill stated that this was what Lucas told him. As to the comments you link. Lucas has been changing his story and randomly claiming things blatantly false for decades. Such as when he claimed to have written all 9 episodes before making episode 4 which is clearly not true as Vader was not Anakin until the 3rd draft of the Empire script which Lucas didn't write.

Now just as with Trek canon statememts by creators/writers, etc will never override on screen canon, and at no point on screen is it even hinted that casual sexual relations are ok for the Jedi.

As to Rey, yeah even Rian Johnson said Kylo was probably lying.

Actually, the Clone Wars, like most US cartoons, glossed over the details of the relationship between Obi-Wan and Satine Kryze besides the fact that they were star-crossed lovers of some sort. They could have been doing anything no matter how kinky or how often, and they would simply say they had a "close relationship". Some of the dialog did suggest in a roundabout fashion that it was the fact that Obi-Wan's position meant he was forbidden attachments and Satine's meant she was forbidden casual sex (as a matter of state) so they broke it off before they were caught. Almost a Ladyhawke situation but with conflicting job requirements instead of a shapeshifting curse.

In fact, Obi-Wan's reaction on finding what Anakin and Padme were doing was probably colored by regret over his necessary breakup with Satine. Then there was the flirting Obi-Wan did with Asajj Ventress, for a while there it looked like the two might jump into the sack despite being on opposite sides, though in a cartoon shown in the US that would never happen on camera. Also, they made it fairly clear that Anakin and Padme were violating the "attachment is forbidden, possession is forbidden" clause, not some unmentioned chastity clause.

The fact that Lucas told Hamill he was playing a chaste monk is no more significant than what he told the BBC about Jedi can have sex along as it is without attachment or possession. After all, he also told Hamill he was planning to do the last trilogy and asked that he come back for it when the time came.

Lucas never claimed to have already written the final version of all nine films, what he said was that he had the story arc for all nine, which sounds similar but really isn't. When planning an arc like that it is really just the framework and probably a few scenes but all the details do not fall into place until the actual writing happens. And those details can be significant and change the interpretation of the rest of the story, even parts that have been written and produced. In fact, that is the real meaning of "retcon", not a complete dump and start over like some think it is.

In fact, what really made the original trilogy the phenomenon it was came directly from Lucas's infamous waffling.

Lucas could not decide if he wanted the main character to be male or female. Recognizing that each took a different approach he wrote two parallel sets of scripts for Star Wars, one with teen male angst and direct action, and one that depended on a feminine networking approach to see which came out better. He still could not decide and showed them to a few friends who convinced him that a film with a male lead would be much easier to sell, so he went with that.

But still, he did not want to give up the other script entirely so he merged them and the hero became primarily Luke, but with Leia also in the hero limelight just a little away from the center, which made for a subtle depth (and was very unusual for the times). That is also why the trilogy broke the usual formula and the male and female leads did not become love interests, the two followed their original scripts as much as possible after the scripts were combined and Leia continued with the trope of the princess and the dashing pirate/rogue from her original script.

People picked up on how much alike the two were in a lot of ways and so in TESB they were foreshadowed ("there is the other...") as twins to take advantage of the idea of twin similarity which was then revealed completely in RotJ. The Anakin as Vader thing came about from alternate endings written to confuse leakers, and Lucas became fascinated with the one where Vader is the "dead" father. The framework was loose enough to take the notion without breaking anything, and going in that direction was unusual for the genre, which added to the other stuff made the trilogy really stand out and viewers went gaga over it.

By the time the first trilogy was done Lucas was so burned out he did not even want to think about doing another SW film so he threw the final trilogy open to novels and what eventually became the Expanded Universe but blocked out the time shortly before the original trilogy as not available. Apparently he was still too crispy when they came to him to do the prequels and if you listen to the way he talks about those prequels he basically made a list of what had to happen and just checked it off by the numbers without putting too much into it. Writing a prequel is like building a brick wall from the top down, it is possible but a lot harder than doing it the usual way, and Lucas was not really up to it at the time so it came out flat and formulaic.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    also, obi-wan totally knew about anakin and padme's relationship - that's why on realizing she was pregnant, he immediately went 'anakin's the father, isn't he?' in ROTS​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.