test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do people not like Discovery?

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,363 Community Moderator
    I've been wondering why people are all of a sudden saying Tribble randomly...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,425 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I've been wondering why people are all of a sudden saying Tribble randomly...

We're not. It would seem that someone here is so thin-skinned that they cannot handle the acronym TRIBBLE, so they banned the word. Clearly we need a "Newspeak" dictionary for this forum now, since some O'Brien is in charge here.
    Oh, it's not just that. For instance, if you're familiar with Sturgeon's Law, you know what word was replaced with TRIBBLE in my post. I understand the reasoning, however, as the forums here are supposed to be family-friendly, and some posters just can't seem to refrain from using certain, ah, colorful turns of phrase...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, the fourth season was really picking up, despite Berman and Braga leaving Coto with the time-traveling alien Na.zi lizard cliffhanger (and Coto's Augment episodes, which I still think were a major misstep), but sadly by this point network mismanagement of the show had already done its damage.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Network executives don't like Sci-Fi. They don't think their audience wants to think, for one thing, and they don't think they can sell products using it for another.

But the biggest issue they have with it is that it doesn't fit any defined genre. Horor? Romance? Heroic action? What the hell is it anyway? And why do these people babble nonsense for three quarters of the movie? Get in there and have sex with something or shoot something or make something explode! (Preferably while having sex and shooting.)

Science fiction doesn't have a fanbase either. The sci-fi fans watch romance witch/vampire/werewolf stories and they watch football. They watch Rambo XXVII and Iron Chef. You can't find a random group that loves sci-fi that has pretty much anything else in common. How do you market to them? Disposable briefs and incontinence medicine? Sports cars? Vacation destinations? What the hell do those people buy besides low-budget computer role playing games?

Your next bonus check depends on how well the season lineup does, both in ratings and in advertisement sales. Do you put on America's Got Talented Losers? Or do you roll the dice and hope this new Sci-Fi TRIBBLE sells this time, when the numbers you have in front of you say that stuff only does well in second run syndication? (The numbers never say why it only does well in second run, though.)

Average Joe/Jane Network Exec is going to run with what's popular, not what's good, and if someone higher up forces her to run that sci-fi TRIBBLE it's going to be in a slot that doesn't sell well anyway, or in a slot that gets preempted a lot, because the next bonus check depends on not putting a floating stinker in a decent slot that could be used to run a cheap fake reality show that sells lots of pimple cream and makeup.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Judging by the recent thread regarding the STO roadmap.

People seem to be very much against Star Trek Discovery. Just an honest and curious question I would like to ask people. Granted I had hoped for more DS9 but it can't be helped and despite my issues with the Klingons. I am generally curious as to current discourse with Discovery. That's all.
    Well, the show's fanbase is awful.

They resort to personal attacks and feel that someone criticizing the show is a personal attack. Look how they censored the acronym "EssTDee", for instance. Before, I used "EssTDee" interchangeably with Star Trek: Discovery but this petty and childish response just makes me want to spell out the acronym.

At this point, I dislike the fans more than the writing (and that's an accomplishment; EssTDee's writing is terrible).
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I believe it was some stupid corporate decision that axed Enterprise ...

You mean the decision where they looked at finances and realized that Enterprise was losing money?

In a lot of situations, it doesn't matter if it is losing money. All that matters is that it is not making enough money. I think I first experienced this with City of Heroes. The NCSoft Executives decided to stop funding the game and it came as a complete surprise to the devs.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    City of Heroes. That still hurts.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    redvenge wrote: »

People seem to be very much against Star Trek Discovery. Just an honest and curious question I would like to ask people. Granted I had hoped for more DS9 but it can't be helped and despite my issues with the Klingons. I am generally curious as to current discourse with Discovery. That's all.

They resort to personal attacks and feel that someone criticizing the show is a personal attack. Look how they censored the acronym "EssTDee", for instance. Before, I used "EssTDee" interchangeably with Star Trek: Discovery but this petty and childish response just makes me want to spell out the acronym.

At this point, I dislike the fans more than the writing (and that's an accomplishment; EssTDee's writing is terrible).
    Okay, this is another of those arguments that are full of TRIBBLE, Reddy. It's not just your precious acronym that's getting censored with that word, it's any TRIBBLE word that violates the TRIBBLE ToS about not posting profanity and obscenity (which I've deliberately done here, just to prove my point).

Get over yourself. You're not nearly as important and influential as you imagine.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Fungi can be fascinating I get it (I had a semester of Mycology myself) but the "mycelial network" and "spore drive" are "Threshold" levels of dumb 😜
    The concept of mycelial networks is ok. I mean there's one on Earth identified as being miles across!
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    what mystery? there was NO mystery - anyone with a functioning brain knew he was either section 31 or from the mirror universe the second he appeared in episode 3

no, actually, you know what - everyone knew long before that because producers don't know how to keep their damn mouths shut​​
    It was Johnathan Frakes that basically spilled the beans. But this is not information that every Discovery viewer will have, because many don't follow out-of-show material slavishly. And many others are probably not that familiar with Star Trek that they would immediately think of Section 31 or the Mirror Universe, either.

But even with all that knowledge, you had two likely possibilities. Without it, you had a lot of good hints that something was up, that there was something odd to Lorca and it invited you to think about what that might be. And once the twist happens, you can see how it all fits together. That is beautiful.
    As someone once told me, the trick to writing a good mystery is in making it so the viewer CAN figure it out without spelling it out. For this there MUST be clues and hints, things that can and will point some viewers in the right direction and some people will guess right early because they paid attention.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited October 2018
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Fungi can be fascinating I get it (I had a semester of Mycology myself) but the "mycelial network" and "spore drive" are "Threshold" levels of dumb 😜
    The concept of mycelial networks is ok. I mean there's one on Earth identified as being miles across!
    what mystery? there was NO mystery - anyone with a functioning brain knew he was either section 31 or from the mirror universe the second he appeared in episode 3

no, actually, you know what - everyone knew long before that because producers don't know how to keep their damn mouths shut​​
    It was Johnathan Frakes that basically spilled the beans. But this is not information that every Discovery viewer will have, because many don't follow out-of-show material slavishly. And many others are probably not that familiar with Star Trek that they would immediately think of Section 31 or the Mirror Universe, either.

But even with all that knowledge, you had two likely possibilities. Without it, you had a lot of good hints that something was up, that there was something odd to Lorca and it invited you to think about what that might be. And once the twist happens, you can see how it all fits together. That is beautiful.
    As someone once told me, the trick to writing a good mystery is in making it so the viewer CAN figure it out without spelling it out. For this there MUST be clues and hints, things that can and will point some viewers in the right direction and some people will guess right early because they paid attention.

But there was nothing to indicate that Lorca was part of the Mirror Universe since the whole light sensitivity issue was only introduced in Discovery. The Mirror Universe Enterprise in TOS was just as bright as the USS Enterprise. The Mirror Universe Enterprise in Enterprise was darker, but it was just as bright as the USS Enterprise in Enterprise. There was only evidence that Lorca might not be part of the Federation not that he was from the Mirror Universe.
    jonsills wrote: »
    redvenge wrote: »

Okay, this is another of those arguments that are full of TRIBBLE, Reddy. It's not just your precious acronym that's getting censored with that word, it's any TRIBBLE word that violates the TRIBBLE ToS about not posting profanity and obscenity (which I've deliberately done here, just to prove my point).

Get over yourself. You're not nearly as important and influential as you imagine.

I actually kinda like the change of the censor to say tribble actually. That part is quite clever and I like it. It's the inclusion of essteedee in the list that is the problem. Because a few snowflakes wanna get triggered. And if you think this is helping in any form, you are sorely mistaken. It makes my opinions of those who like that show go from it's already really low stance even lower. And if you think my disdain was bad before...yeah it's gonna be at a whole new level now. Like they may have even gives those looney anti-SJW ranters a valid point level of disdain. Now mind you, there is still a ton against those loons...but when the fans of essteedee makes even ONE of their looney things into an actual valid point...yeah there is an issue there. I think I am starting to see why Trump won now. There is a side who seems to want to be authoritarian and control what people say...or hell even THINK and need to be protected if they come across something different. Given a choice between that and Trump...yeah I can easily see why people picked the orange buffoon. Wow...you all made Trump look like the sane choice...I'm impressed. Terrified...but impressed.

The censoring just reminds me of The Good Place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj_0zcOlb4M
    I didn’t get an idea he was from the MU until there was that scene where we see his scars and one looked like it could be from an agonizer.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I didn’t get an idea he was from the MU until there was that scene where we see his scars and one looked like it could be from an agonizer.

The scars could have been due to torture from the Klingons for all we knew at the time. It would have explained his motivations against the Klingons far better than being a bigot from the Mirror Universe trying to get back home.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    "The Federation is dumb because people on Earth are mostly Petty and selfish so for realism Star Trek should he all about everyone being miserable and trying to backstab and murder eachother at every opportunity for the chance at more wealth and power!".
    Ah, I see you've been reading the Masterverse stories!

(I kid, I kid - mostly :smile: )

If he was, I think he'd be the only one left, Jon. (though generally I try to keep the Earthers as focused on their own activities and philosophies, that it has negative consequences for the dirty colonists has more to do with the inevitable Urban/Rural divide than with power-play politics. Policies that seem to work and make sense in Chicago are going to get you killed-by-the-environment most other places that aren't large, metropolitan hives of humanity.)

Nonsense, I read them too! :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    starkaos wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    The scars could have been due to torture from the Klingons for all we knew at the time. It would have explained his motivations against the Klingons far better than being a bigot from the Mirror Universe trying to get back home.
    Lol, You know there's a reason to call it "clues" in the plural tense right? There was a lot of hints that he wasn't who he claimed to be. You gotta take them together as a whole.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2018
    I often call it "ST:D" because that tickles me. However, it's not censored because of "flame wars", although as noted above those do tend to happen; it's censored, along with a whole raft of terms, because someone at PWE considers a reference to seuxally-transmitted diseases potentially offensive (the same reason why it's difficult to discuss how to open a door around here, because the forum autocensors the word "k.nob", or to reference Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. TRIBBLE).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    [...] it's censored, along with a whole raft of terms, because someone at PWE considers a reference to seuxally-transmitted diseases potentially offensive (the same reason why it's difficult to discuss how to open a door around here, because the forum autocensors the word "k.nob", or to reference Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. TRIBBLE).

There is that as well, although I'd argue reference to venereal disease genuinely is potentially offensive (depending on the context - like the 'g' word, it's too often used in a derogatory manner), whereas a good number of the terms recently censored aren't used offensively in any context, such as the Christian word for the underworld.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    ryan218 wrote: »
    [...] it's censored, along with a whole raft of terms, because someone at PWE considers a reference to seuxally-transmitted diseases potentially offensive (the same reason why it's difficult to discuss how to open a door around here, because the forum autocensors the word "k.nob", or to reference Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. TRIBBLE).

There is that as well, although I'd argue reference to venereal disease genuinely is potentially offensive (depending on the context - like the 'g' word, it's too often used in a derogatory manner), whereas a good number of the terms recently censored aren't used offensively in any context, such as the Christian word for the underworld.

Because, apparently, PWE thinks that we are five year olds. I can understand outright vulgarity or hardcore profanity. But words that have other meanings besides the vulgar, or light-weight substitutions for cuss words, is going a bit overboard in my opinion.

Now I got that out of the way, on to the topic at hand..............

Most of the accusations of "toxic behavior" of fans is directed at the hardcore haters of ST:D. While true that a lot of invective has come from the fandom's "Old Guard", I'm also seeing people (even among rank and file ST:D fans, not just fanboys) on the pro-Discovery side start to behave like special snowflakes, who take even legitimate reasons to dislike the show to be on par to rabid fanboi-ism by the haters or the equivalent to a personal attack. They are falling into that old defensive trap.

I have many reasons to dislike ST:D that doesn't involve me being a "True Fan" of old school Trek. I also have a list of a few things to like about Discovery.

What I like:

1. Nice visuals
    2. Cool small arms and gear. Pistols blend the look of The Cage's laser pistols and TOS's Type 2 phasers. The "rifles" are basically a tacticool version of the Type 3 of TOS's second pilot.
    3. I like the Federation ship designs of the series
    4. I like the updated Prime Constitution Class.
    5. Michelle Yeoh
    6. Tilly's fantastic behind and nice chest. And she's a redhead.
    7. The Battle of the Binary Stars
    8. Despite all the hoopla/fear over "PC Trek", based on the production team's past comment, the virtue signalling has been kept at a very low level, to the point of being non-existent for all intents and purposes. That suits me fine.

What I don't like:
    1. I don't like being compared to a Klingorc with a martyr complex just because of who I voted for. I rather be compared to a TNG Klingon, even one as psycho looking/acting as Gowron.
    2. The show's main character having a male first name, even if it's a quirk of one of the production/writing team to give females male surnames. It comes across as silly to me. And I don't give a damn how it was used a thousand years ago. I'm only concerned with the here and now. Many people won't recognize it as a quirk, but yet more "preaching" on this gender fluidity BS that's being shoveled today (even though that's not the case here). But that is not my main gripe(s) with the character.....
    3. The main character's (Michael's) backstory comes across as badly written fan fiction. But thankfully not a self-insert fanfiction (that I know of). And...
    4. She's a typical Mary Sue. Played by an actress who main forte is playing supporting characters, and whose acting abilities are only average in my opinion.
    5. I'm not a big fan of Jason Issacs as an actor even though I liked the Lorca character (too bad he wasn't kept around)
    6. The writing, in general, hasn't been up to par in Season One. Hopefully, playing on nostalgia, and introducing a humor element, with Captain Pike's addition, will pick things up.

You see? Articulated criticisms and likes. You might not agree. But it's not the "True Fan" cr@p that anybody that dislikes ST:D (whole or in part) get tarred with by the knee-jerk lurking among Discovery's fans.

As for Discovery material for STO, I have no real issue. I don't forsee ST:D overshadowing homegrown material, or stuff relating to old school Trek, down the road. There is plenty that I'm not happy about relating to how the launch of AoD was handled/implemented. But I'm willing to give Cryptic the chance to get things right, in both current Discovery content and future Discovery content.

Peace.
    valoreah wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »
    In a lot of situations, it doesn't matter if it is losing money. All that matters is that it is not making enough money. I think I first experienced this with City of Heroes. The NCSoft Executives decided to stop funding the game and it came as a complete surprise to the devs.
    From what I have heard and seen since it was shut down, there is a little more to the story than that.
    there's this: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1212090/former-ncsoft-employee-sheds-light-on-cohs-and-wildstar-but-who-cares-demise/p1
    Not sure if it's true, but....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    i doubt it, given another former paragon 'employee' came forward and said the exact opposite of the former paragon 'employee' whistleblower in that article

thing is...we have NO way of knowing which one is the real former employee, or even if EITHER of them are​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Damn how can I miss a game this many years later
    Your pain runs deep.