test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Random Task Force Operations!

Comments

• Options
    auntkathyauntkathy Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    The rewards are okay, but I don't know that they will justify any interest in slogging through ground combat missions. I'm not terrible at them, but I dislike them to the point where I only do them when they're part of an episode / story arc. I get that folks like ground combat, no problem. I'm not one of them.

If it is such that I am forced to choose to do them to receive relatively mediocre rewards, I'll do the opposite: I'll queue for what I want with less rewards and wait for the queue to match me with people. It is counter-intuitive and irritating to try force me into content I don't want to do for miniscule rewards; I'll opt out every time.
  • Options
    stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    It works for Neverwinter.

That's one of the reasons I came back here and left there. Mind you, on NW they also stripped essential rewards from the non-random queues.

In addition to the fact that a lot of queues need a redesign badly (and an "equipment level" stat for teaming like NW would actually help to some extent), I'm just time-starved. I often have so many minutes to do something and I can't end up in a seriously long queue or one that will fail because I can't be everywhere at once.

So, *SINCE* they aren't stripping mark/bonus/etc rewards, this is fine, and I hope people who do it enjoy it, and I hope it prompts a revisit to the less popular queues and why they're less popular, but I ain't clickin' that button.
  • Options
    stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    Question is, what is it that is causing them not to look at the feedback? Things tend to get fixed if they know how often it occurs. Like for example, if you were to run Undine Infiltrator, out of 10 runs, how often in those 10 runs will it come up?

I experience bugs every day I log in that I reported six or seven years ago (reported many times, not just once).

I figure most bugs will simply never get fixed. Trying to see it like "hey that's nice when one does," but it's a challenge. As to why I don't quit, I do sometimes. I'm a "seasonal player" you might say.

People complain about bug report threads on reddit, saying you're supposed to report it in game. Never did me any good, sure I'm not the only one. Never even heard back once in all that time.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    First, I'll quote myself from Twitter here:
    Including both Ground+Space is absolutely intentional, and exceedingly unlikely to be altered. But addressing Build/Spec concerns that stem from this choice is definitely on my list for further review.

'give us your feedback'... followed by 'we dont like your feedback so TRIBBLE you guys, we're gonna do it our way to spite you'.... how very EA of you
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Including both Ground+Space is absolutely intentional, and exceedingly unlikely to be altered. But addressing Build/Spec concerns that stem from this choice is definitely on my list for further review.

'give us your feedback'... followed by 'we dont like your feedback so **** you guys, we're gonna do it our way to spite you'.... how very EA of you

Yeah, the Feedback part of the forums has many specific issues, like the Echo Papa Drone making it so you can't run, and if they can't even fix that one little thing, how can we believe they'll care to fix a big issue like a whole queue? They need a dedicated person(s) to do nothing but smash bugs, not just get around to it 'when they feel like it'.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Great, you won't be able to swap between your space and ground reputation abilities without knowing if the queue is going to be ground or space.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Hey Folks. Just wanted to pop in for a quick response, summarizing some of the feedback thus far.

"Further review" is obviously open to a lot of interpretation (purposefully!), but could include considerations that have been mentioned here by players. Things like region-specific builds, or allowing region-specific Specs to be active simultaneously. No promises here, obviously, but it's a big enough concern - and a totally understandable one, at that - that it will definitely be explored.

It's not only a problem of specs. Space and ground combat are 2 entirely different mechanics in game. Some players enjoy only one. Some players, while happy doing both, are much better at one than the other. I kinda understand that you want to revitalize all queues with this mechanic, but really, your stubbornness will only make a part of players just not interested at all in this new random TFO system.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Inability to at least filter Space/Ground just made me lose interest.

I would give the reasons, but why bother? Sounds like they have already made up their minds without player feedback..

As usual.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Also, there's a problem with:
    Once opted into the Random system, players are first matched up with unfilled TFOs that other players have manually selected, on a first-come-first-served basis.

So your average random adv TFO experience would look something like this:
    ISA - 3 minutes
    KSA - 6 minutes
    CSA - 3 minutes
    Swarm - 14 minutes
    4 minute window for something else - probably CPA/UAA/TFA.

Repeat. I doubt you'd see much variation. And when queued to normal random TFO, you'll be sure to get Borg and Nukara RAs as soon as they're off CD. I'd rather see you use a simple PRNG to determine next queue to be played right from the start, which then switches to something else after one instance gets started.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I think the bigger problem is that you can't *DO* space and ground at the same time: You have to know you're going into space/ground and then change your specs. Otherwise, your character is unusable in that setting and the only thing you can do is derp in circles and go AFK.

Now that's a serious overdramatization. Especially considering you can't get into elites with that system anyway. I absolutely agree (as you can read from my posts earlier) that ground and space need to be separated, but saying you're not capable at all of doing normal/adv ground content with Strategist equipped is total BS. And if you really are that bad, switching to Commando would make no difference.
  • Options
    tran34tran34 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    how do acces tribble test for star trek online to veiw the new season 15
    Fleet Admiral Anthony Taylor
    Commanding Officer U.S.S. Helena C
  • Options
    greatpicklegreatpickle Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    It is a bad idea. I hate it. There's my feedback.
  • Options
    doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Why a large number of Pves are not played ?
    Because:
    - boring
    - too much time
    - low gain or reputation marks are useless
    - success depending too much on other players
    Qapla'
  • Options
    ocean114ocean114 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Several things would have to be done to make this viable.

1) Make the quality of the bonus drop tied to the mission length. Longer missions get greater bonus rewards.

2) Make the ground or space build mechanic a complete thing of the past. Great strides have been done on this already, but there's still a bit to do just yet.

3) Every mission done in the random queue should now drop a choice of marks and a choice of special crafting component (neural processor etc) when played on advanced.

4) Make a special reputation system for random TSOs that can unlock no longer obtainable things like the old omega set ground costume that you could get from farming the accolades, reruns on past event account unlocks, the old tr116 that was only available via target pre-order, etc.

Many players feel shortchanged when they come back after a long absence or just start playing the game because some of these things are no longer obtainable. Or they are but with great cost and do not come in the same form (I'm looking at you phoenix lock box).

Maybe keep the Phoenix lock boxes, but instead of the ships, have them drop items that would be used in a new random TSO reputation project that would allow for these old event account wide unlocks. Make these projects cost thousands of marks so they take a bit of effort and promote more play.

Maybe even look at being able to queue up for a random story mission chain for special rewards if you complete the whole thing.

Give us a good, compelling reason to play the random TSOs and we'll be happy to do so. Extra dil/marks just isn't going to cut it. Put some creative thought into it please.
  • Options
    mazujiemazujie Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    First thing that comes in my mind: SKILLS, for this to work the skills for ground and space needs to be activated automaticly, a feature long overdue.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Starting with the launch of #AgeofDiscovery, you'll be able to be matched into a Random Task Force Operation, and earn extra Marks and Dilithium in addition to the TFO rewards!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10994033
    My concern is what happens when I end up in a random queue with completely the wrong equipment? What happens if I am setup for space and end up with ground or setup for ground spec and end up in space?

Another flaw is why would I queue random. The extra reward is completely unappealing so I can just queue the ones I want and all the random people get dumped into it.

Lastly it takes 4 or 5 mins for ISA and CE to pop in my playtime. Does that mean if I queue random I am just going keep getting dumped into them instead of random? It’s not truly random if you are just being dumped into the same batch of queue people are waiting to fill out.

• Options
    redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Brilliant idea. Thank-you so much for reviving content so I can have a fun and varied mark collection operation. It's sad people want to stay in manual TFOs, but if those people want to repeat the same content thousands of times, the joke is on them.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    kirkosism#7934 kirkosism Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I think the main issue is around gear, load-out and active trait selection and how these operate against which missions drop. I think it's an interesting idea though, I've been playing for about 6 years now and there's loads of content I've never managed to get into.

I don't see a problem with the proposed rewards, I eat dilithium for breakfast so I can never get enough! lol. Although; saying that, I did like earlier comments about the STF rewards and the possibility for some pretty shiny vanity items.
    "We have them just where they want us"
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »
    @borticuscryptic
    You want specific. Okay. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread the Fire phase in Undine Infiltrator is bugged and causes autofail on Elite. Sometimes causes autofail even when not on Elite even though that shouldn't be able to happen. You simply can't put the fires out, no matter what.
    This bug have been around for year. It have been reported for years. I know because I've done my share - and more than my share - of reporting it.

You want specifics? Great. The thing is though that a lot of these bugs have been reported, in detail, time and again, only to be ignored.
    But okay, I'll go through my list of bugs in queues (foots or whatever they're called now) and report them. Again. Maybe they will finally get attention now, after being reported for a few years.

Question is, what is it that is causing them not to look at the feedback? Things tend to get fixed if they know how often it occurs. Like for example, if you were to run Undine Infiltrator, out of 10 runs, how often in those 10 runs will it come up?

@vegeta50024
    For me? That would be 10 out of 10. I've reported it every single time I had it. Or I did in the beginning.
    It's been a while since I did this one regularly, but I talked some people into trying it about two months back. Bug still present, failed the STF as a result.
    I don't know if it actually has a 100% occur rate, but I know from Fleet members and friends that it is a very commonly occurring bug. Which in Elite means a no go for this queue because the goal is no longer an optional.

And as I said, this bug have been around for a few years now. Still haven't been fixed.
    I'd like to hear your defense for this one.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Also, there's a problem with:
    Once opted into the Random system, players are first matched up with unfilled TFOs that other players have manually selected, on a first-come-first-served basis.

So your average random adv TFO experience would look something like this:
    ISA - 3 minutes
    KSA - 6 minutes
    CSA - 3 minutes
    Swarm - 14 minutes
    4 minute window for something else - probably CPA/UAA/TFA.

Repeat. I doubt you'd see much variation. And when queued to normal random TFO, you'll be sure to get Borg and Nukara RAs as soon as they're off CD. I'd rather see you use a simple PRNG to determine next queue to be played right from the start, which then switches to something else after one instance gets started.

That's a seriously good point. If it's really going to be in the way that TFOs with some people in queue have priority, then effectively people who don't go for randoms and just select what they like will be influencing the queues that pop in the Random TFO Machine, which will definitely skew the probability of certain queues popping. While it's quite likely that if enough people go for random, then the occassional truly random queue will pop too, but TFOs that are dead now and hardly anyone ever queues up for them will definitely lag behind the popular queues, that will be now filling much faster and popping more often.

Still, the dead queues will probably get a bit more traffic, but in the end, it would just be a parasitic kind of traffic. People won't be playing them because the queues are good and managed to pass the "Survival of the Fit-Test", but because they are thrown in the same bag with the popular workhorses, so any such traffic will be undeserved (Contrast "People are not playing certain queues, so how can we improve the queues" and "People are not playing certain queues, so how can we manipulate the people to play them").

Plus it's interesting how the people manually selecting the TFOs will effectively become the "sacrificial volunteers" - By clicking on the popular queues, they lose the bonus rewards, but in turn they create a "greater good" in saving time/effort to the randoms who will end up playing the queue they like with extra rewards. And watch the hate fall upon any lost soul, that queues up for any of the unappealing TFOs, that ends up being filled with randos shouting "Who the hell queued up for this".
  • Options
    ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Hello everybody & Devs,

the random TFO is an interesting idea but I see several problems:
    1) Traits: by mixing ground and space the players will not be able to use his optimal specializations. Specializations are locked once the player is inside the map. This is a HUGE disadvantage. Please make it possible to chose the specialization when the map has started.
    2) Broken TFO: some TFO are utterly broken. Undine infiltrator was an amazing mission until (approx 1 year ago) the mechanic of fires changed. Assault on Terok Nor is just awful, the mechanic of the random console and the boss are horrible. Please consider to change them. There may be other TFO that need to be changed, please hear us on that.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    As requested, here is my feedback:
    What excites you, or makes you anxious, about the prospect of opting into Randomized content, and why?
    Anxious feelings because I fear anything that the character wasn't ready for...Do I need to keep freqeuency modulators and environmental suits on each Player? WIll my control ship for 'Swarm' be able to handle the 'Undine Assault'?
    You can replicate remods during a ground mission.

Also you can rearrange boffs any time not in combat.
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Joking aside, I am interested in how the bundling of ground and space queues into the same rng group, ever got off the white board?

In a game that doesn't allow the splitting of ground and space loadouts, it should never have been considered, let alone actually being implemented..
    While it's theoretically possible to put together a loadout that's all space or all ground, that requires selectively filling out spec trees to avoid one or the other.

One could argue that active rep powers are an issue since you only get 5 regardless of space or ground, but realistically they aren't integral to a build.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    yakodym wrote: »

Plus it's interesting how the people manually selecting the TFOs will effectively become the "sacrificial volunteers" - By clicking on the popular queues, they lose the bonus rewards, but in turn they create a "greater good" in saving time/effort to the randoms who will end up playing the queue they like with extra rewards. And watch the hate fall upon any lost soul, that queues up for any of the unappealing TFOs, that ends up being filled with randos shouting "Who the hell queued up for this".

One way to circumvent this would be to auto-ban any queue with, say under 2 minutes current wait time from the roll... So, stuff like ISA, RAs and so on would be less likely to pop. (CCA is already not in the roll as a 10-player queue.)

• Options
    rebel230rebel230 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I would like to see it separated into random space or random ground. Personally I cannot stand the ground side of the game. The character animations/ models/ clunky movement all makes me feel like I am playing an old outdated game. I still love the space game though and that's what I play everyday on my 5 characters.

I would also ask for better rewards, a max to epic upgrade token, new gear sets (that are actually worth using) adding in missing space set options like a bio molecular plasma turret to use in the 3 pc space set for plasma users instead of just the phaser or disruptor versions for example.

Another thing would be to add in anniversary vouchers for those older ship projects you just didn't complete and are still in your event queue. That would be great.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,319 Arc User
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    I also agree with others that you should be able to filter which TFOs you are queued for by region (Ground, Space, Both) and difficulty (Normal, Advanced, Elite).

This does negate the whole purpose of the randomized queue though. It's meant to bring little played content back into the spotlight.

I would even go as far as multiplying (3 or 4 times) the rewards for ground content since ground queues are often hard to fill out, not in the least due to the fact that their time/reward ratio tends to be lower than space.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    szim wrote: »
    Ugh, why? RNG is awful. I won't be participating in it. You do realize people avoid certain content because they just don't care or want to? I'll live with waiting in a QUEUE for my chosen content to start. Even if it is several minutes.

You're going to profit from it either way. Say you want to play Counterpoint. After queuing for it your team will be completed with players who have queued for random TFOs. So, whatever queue you're chosing, it's most likely going to start after only a few minutes.

Lol, no he won't. I've seen it happens many times in many different MMOs. People will queue for the Random just to get the bonus attached to it and then leave when they find themselves in something they don't like/thinks it's too long/don't know how to play.
    Leaver/AFK penalty won't mean anything, 'cause people usually just log in with another character, play a bit to wait out the Penalty and then go back to the original toon they wanted to play.

Also, mixing Ground and Space it's not gonna go well, so I'll probably end up adding to the number of people that won't take advantage of this "new" feature. Thanks, but not thanks.

It might not get hardcore grinders and farmers to stick with queues, but many players don't have a roster of alts to rotate through like that. The majority who are more casual players will be nudged into eating their vegetables.

I supposed if you're right, Cryptic could start logging the count of leaver penalties, and ramp them up: more than 5 a week and the timeout grows to 48 hours?

Believe me, you don't need to have hardcore grinders for that to happen.
    But getting the Penalty up the more you leave whatever queue you end up in could be nice. Or, in alternative, they could make it account-wide instead of per character.

Onto something different, I'd like to address Borticus' post - if you can even call it that.
    Hey Folks. Just wanted to pop in for a quick response, summarizing some of the feedback thus far.

Way to go, Borticus. That's the right attitude. Shows how much you all really care about player's feedback, uh?
    • "There are too many broken/buggy TFOs!"
    Ok. Send us lists, please, with specific details about the bug(s) being encountered. There are more than 100 TFOs to weed through, and we're doing our best internally. But there's just no reasonable comparison between the volume of "playtesting" that you players can carry out, compared to what we can accomplish internally. If you see something that is broken, we need to know exactly where and how in order to be able to pursue a fix of any kind.

This type of feedback without specifics is frankly worthless to us.

You've received bug reports and complaints about queues for YEARS without doing anything about them.
    There are bugs, in this game, that dates back to when it first come out and you have the galls to come here and tell us that "this type of feedback is worthless"?
    Go back to the thousands of bug reports you've always ignored and you will find out everything that doesn't work, instead of coming here to basically tell us we're stupid for not repeating, ONCE AGAIN, a complete list of bugs that your dev team should've fixed years ago.
    • "Older TFOs don't reward well enough to be worth this!"
    Entirely possible. Our hope is that - at least for the initial release - the additional rewards earned from entering via Random will offset these concerns.

Not good enough. We have the right to have a good reward even if we don't go with this "new" feature of yours - which, newsflash!, is not new at all to anyone that's played any other MMOs out there.
    You're trying to force us to play the game how you want us to play it and that is not right. Not by a long shot.
    One of our sub-goals of this system is to generate a larger volume of specific, actionable feedback and data analytics for the various TFOs available to players in our game, with a long-term eye on improving/updating this content (and/or its associated rewards) and creating a more consistent experience. Right now, most of the data we have available only shows that certain TFOs aren't played, but sadly can't specify why. We're going to be doing a lot more internal reporting on player statistics after Random TFOs roll out, to see how actual play data compares to anecdotal feedback we've already been receiving. We'll be looking at factors like "# of Seconds to Complete" and "Average Rewards" as compared to things like "Average Player Damage Dealt/Received" and much, much more.

Again, you have all the "actionable feedback" you want if you'd just bother to look at the bug reports you've got over the years.
    You just need to get on to it. But I guess it's way more easier to come here and tell us off for not wanting to spend time repeating the same things over and over again, uh?
    • "The presence of ((Specific TFO)) will cause me to not want to use this system."
    This is understandable feedback, but I'd ask anyone making this assertion to once again look at the list of the types of TFOs already being Excluded. Thus far, the ones I've noticed causing this complaint have already been excluded. (Examples: Fleet Alert, Competitive Rep TFOs)

LOL, are you serious? You just told us that the bigger complaint - which is putting ground and space queues together - will not be changed, so I have to assume you're just trolling us now.

Thank you all again for showing so much interest and passion in this that you're willing to discuss it in such depth. I hope you'll invest just as much time and interest in trying it out on Tribble when it becomes available for testing.

Interest and passion? Yeah, in trying to prevent you from making something that only a small amount of players will use because you will ignore the majority of your playerbase, like always.
    I will not waste any time giving it a try on the Tribble, myself.
    You wanna know why? Because the feedback you get from people that take the time to test out new content gets completely ignored time and time again.
    Bugs on the Tribble that will supposedly be fixed before the content gets published on the Holodeck will go live with all the rest and stay there forever.
    We've seen it happen pretty much everytime, so why waste time we could use to play something worthwhile on testing content that will be just as bugged on the Holodeck as it is on Tribble?
    Post edited by jennycolvin on
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    IF the goal is having more people play PVE THEN REMOVE the limitations.

LIMITATIONS are e.g Replay Cooldown.

Mostly if i have to wait 30 minutes to replay a PVE I quit the game maybe logging on later again.