test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I wonder how the new post-TNG series will effect STO's story?

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Was wondering when Section 31 was gonna be brought up.
    I disagree with the fact X MUST, WITHOUT QUESTION, happen in order to not use Spore Drive Tech. Why?
    • Genesis Tech
    • Pegasus Cloak
    • Excelsior Transwarp Drive
    • Romulan Interphase Generator

If people are so worried about Spore Drive tech falling into the hands of Section 31... Why not Genesis Tech? Why not the Pegasus Cloak? Why not perfect Excelsior's Transwarp Drive so it DOES work? Why not all the OTHER experimental techs we've seen that were made either by the Federation or some other species?

Spore Drive Tech is viable, BUT has severe restrictions in how it CAN be viable in the 23rd Century, and not only that I'm sure people are forgetting one key issue with Spore based Tech.
    ISS Charon.
    The Charon used Spore Tech as a power core to make her the most powerful ship in the galaxy. BUT... it revealed that its use in such a way threatened all life in EVERY universe. USS Discovery would have that data, along with the reports from various members of her crew to back it up.

As of this moment, only the USS Discovery has the Drive tech. The Klingons know about her. Odds are through the Klingons, the Romulans will find out about her. ANY use outside of the Discovery would INSTANTLY raise red flags with not just the Klingons, but the Federation as well. ANY. USE.
    Not only that, you need specialized equipment and ship designs to actually use a Spore Drive. You can't just slap on into a Connie and call it a day.

For all intents and purposes Spore Drive Tech is being classified as a dead end and will be shelved. Will we see Discovery use it again? Probably. But for the most part it seems like its only going to be used in emergencies.

Section 31 won't risk exposure to develop their own Spore Drive when they have one they could potentially steal and NOT raise suspicions. Could be a good avenue for stories involving Section 31, seeing as how we might see more of them in the show. The tech itself is a red flag. Discovery herself however... is the real prize.

BEGONE EDIT MONSTER!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Then there is the issue of 24th Century technology compared to 23rd Century technology. The 23rd Century Federation needs a living pilot to use the Spore Drive, but 24th Century computers might be powerful enough to pilot the Spore Drive. If a sapient being is required, then Data and the Doctor are possible pilots.
    The spore drive needs the blood of a space unicorn to function. Stamets injected himself with space unicorn blood and became some weird hybrid brony thing. It does seem entirely possible that the 24th century lacks the technology to replicate space unicorn blood or the hybrid brony blood-serum.

We do not know how the spore drive works. It just does. As a result, we cannot expect it to function outside of the parameters that the writers decree. The drive traverses a fungal network that exists literally EVERYWHERE and that network has the means to put midichlorians in your brain after "prolonged exposure". The entire concept is... "special".

The obvious reason we don't see it in the 24th century is because Star Trek: Discovery is a prequel. The in-universe reason is probably lack of "space unicorn blood".
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    the purpose of an entertainment product is to...entertain. that's a subjective thing, Som, not something that is objective fact that can be measured. If someone is not entertained then they've got every right to say so, and at least Flash gave his, subjective reasons for not being entertained by Discovery's style of usage with th'lingan-Hol.
    Yeah, because "aliens" that sound like humans is soooo entertaining.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Nokw5i8aY
    Disco^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avH2K1iR8Oo
    ST:tUC^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5StGrDJU5w
    Worf and Chang in tUC^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyt8n9xgIbU
    Ba'al^
    Please, tell me more about what is "entertaining". :p Seriously, aliens that don't SOUND alien are dumb.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    flash525 wrote: »
    The Spore drive (why it can't be used) will likely be explained in an upcoming season. People can accept the TOS Klingons, the TMP Klingons, the TNG Klingons, and the JJ Klingons, but not the TRIBBLE Klingons? That in itself is laughable. I'll be the first to admit that I don't like them, but I do accept them.
    I don't understand why people act like the question of why the Spore drive was abandoned is unanswered when we have already seen why it was.

A. You need a space tardigrade to use it, and they are so rare only one has been found. And that one found the Glen more then the Glen found it.
    B Barring a space tardigrade, you need to use a human, and perform highly illegal genetic augmentation on them, by injecting tardigrade DNA into them so they can use the spore drive.
    C. Humans using the spore drive causes an eventual alteration of white matter in their brain, which can kill them, or at least cause severe mental problems.
    D. There is the whole problem of using the spore drive incorrectly can cause you to jump to another universe where everyone is evil and wants to kill you. Something that was immediately classified when the Discovery got back and Cornwell found them.

The only valid reason to not use the Spore Drive is D, but that is due to a low probability of entering an alternate reality. Lorca forced the Discovery to enter the Mirror Universe and the trip back to their universe caused them to lose a few months. For all we know, it requires extraordinary circumstances to travel to an alternate reality with the Spore Drive and will never happen if the Spore Drive is used properly.

A, B, and C are only reasons why the Federation would not use the Spore Drive not some unscrupulous organization or civilization would not use it. Section 31 can easily create their own Spore Drives since they seem to have some connection to the Discovery and can easily get Stamets' DNA to create their own Spore Drive pilots. It will be difficult for other organizations like the Tal Shiar, but they can break into classified files or bribe some Starfleet Officer and kidnap Stamets.
    Actually, they are quite important for all other species as well.
    1. If you don't find a Tardigrade or Tardigrade DNA, you're out of luck.
    2. If you have the Tardigrade, but don't have someone with compatible DNA, you're out of luck.
    3. If your navigator is driven made, you can't navigate reliably and might end up who knows where in who knows what state.

It should also be noted that they didn't inject just any human with the DNA and made it work. They injected in the one guy that is the premier expert on the whole Mycelium Network thing. For all we know, a deep understanding of the Mycelian Network is a requisite as well to make the whole navigation possible. Of course, other people might be able to gain the same understanding, but they don't grow on trees.

Section 31 or the Tal'SHiar or Alien Speices with Bumps on Forehead #22 could easily fail at any point.

And it's not like species-unique technology is novel in the Star Trek universe. The Iconian Gateways have not been replicated by anyone in thousands of years, for example. And attempts to replicate Dr. Soongs Positronic Brain have failed in the decades since Data was recovered, and there is no sign any other species in the known Milky Way so far had luck with that (though there certainly exist alternate android forms.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    that rule does not apply 100% among sci-fi - see ATA gene in stargate​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > that rule does not apply 100% among sci-fi - see ATA gene in stargate​​

It was also stated on screen, and is thus canon, that only Dr. Soong had successfully created a positronic brain. Even though dozens of scientists had been working since Measure of a Man to try to recreate the technology none had succeeded, even Data failed with Lal.
    Yeah, the real trick is that sometimes you need 100% of the data and the 1% that you couldn't figure out through reverse engineering is the 1% that makes it work.

IRL there are things done MILLENIA ago that people still haven't figured out. Like how did the ancient Greeks transport a 200 ton stone slab to the top of a mountain to use for a temple foundation? Or how did the ancient Mexican natives grind square corners when making indentations in Basalt? Or how did the builders of Nan Madol find wooden canoes and rafts large enough to transport the stone blocks they used to build the city from the neighboring island where they were quarried? Or one of several Egyptian temples built using massive stone blocks.

Yes I know... all of those are architecture related things. There's not a lot of things built millenia ago that are still around for us to look at and puzzle over.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    pretty much all of those things can be figured out through liberal application of levers, pulleys and archimedes' law...except the floating heavy stone blocks thing - that takes advanced math

and for another problem to puzzle over...how the hell the nazca lines were developed with such precision​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    pretty much all of those things can be figured out through liberal application of levers, pulleys and archimedes' law...except the floating heavy stone blocks thing - that takes advanced math

and for another problem to puzzle over...how the hell the nazca lines were developed with such precision
    Actually, no. See, Archimedes's law is a vague abstraction, and as a man once said "the devil is in the details". It's easy to say "If I had a large enough lever I could move the Earth." Technically true, but finding a lever capable of that application is a problem yet to be solved. So yeah, what sort of pulley/lever assembly can be used to move a 200 ton slab up a mountain?

Also, the one about engraving Basalt... yeah, 1; it takes a very precise tool to make square insets, 2; Basalt is very hard and tools to carve it need to be as hard or harder.... and the walls in question were carved so long ago archaeologists aren't sure which tribe carved them. And the idea that they simply took a long time

One theory with the Nazca lines is that the people who made them had a rudimentary form of hot air balloon.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    and every time they looked to be getting out of position, the guy in the balloon just shouted down ' YO, YOU"RE GETTING OFF-COURSE YOU DUMBASSES!'? i seriously doubt that

and as to what level-pulley assembly...obviously the one they used to bring a 200-ton stone slab up a mountain​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    and every time they looked to be getting out of position, the guy in the balloon just shouted down ' YO, YOU"RE GETTING OFF-COURSE YOU DUMBASSES!'? i seriously doubt that
    Heh, it sounds funny when you put it that way, but.... Aerial surveying was at least theoretically possible, if not easy.
    and as to what level-pulley assembly...obviously the one they used to bring a 200-ton stone slab up a mountain​​
    Assuming that's what they did, no one's found any historical evidence of how it was done, and to my knowledge no one has managed to design one in modern times.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    it isn't the aerial surveillance i have problems believing, it's the shouting down part...because they'd have to be fairly high to get a good overview, and the peruvians (or whoever created the lines) didn't have walkie-talkies back then - i suppose they could've used sign language, but then the ground workers would have to be constantly drawing a small portion of line, looking up to see if it's good or needs correcting, looking back down to draw another portion of line, looking back up...​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    Enh, I was thinking more like using it to look around, then after looking around walk to whatever needs moved.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

Do I need to remind you that 'Stargate' is a great example of tech-level disparity? sure, the earthers can USE the leftover relics, but they can't approach their actual technical sophistication or produce more. (witness; lack of ability to fabricate zpms, etc. even with Asgard technical libraries available, the infrastructure isn't there.)

it's the same problem with Iconian gates: Starfleet isn't 'there' yet-they don't know how it works.

otoh, the Spore drive was built with 22nd century tech, based on 22nd century science, and wasn't the product of a 'lone genius' but of a team of scientists. (Scientists who don't publish their theories don't get far.) The Klingons are on the same level technologically, the romulans are as well, and several instances have shown there are cultures (NOT in the Federation) who have even HIGHER levels.
    23rd century tech, but more specifically, Federation 23rd century technology. And Stamets and his team aren't just a scientists, he and his compatriots on the Glen apparently were also engineers, or working with engineers, as they devised a machninery to operate on the Mycelium Network. And since the project became classified, their publishing probably stopped before things were getting really useful.

If your Empire doesn't produce Federation like tools and parts, and doesn't have Astromycologists yet, you would need to build up a lot of infastructure to get to that point. And we still don't know why the Federation stops using them. Even if it's just for "ethical reasons", what competing Empire would truly believe them they just abandonded a perfectly good and powerful technology for "ethical reasons"? There is probably something wrong with the tech they don't want to tell you so you waste years or decades to build something that's fundamentally flawed. It's not like you couldn't send the resources elsewhere, like better cloaking tech or better plasma weapons or faster warp engines or combat-drones-that-won't-turn-on-their-creators.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    or combat-drones-that-won't-turn-on-their-creators.

that's like the holy grail of combat drone production...too bad so few empires manage to reach it​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,296 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    It may change a few things with the Lore/Path to 2409 stuff... :)

And, @somtaawkhar that infographic gave me a headache, lol...

maybe. TNG I guess officialy ends with Nemisis, that is 2379, when Enterprise goes into refit after the collision with Scimitar.
    add 20 years and we are 10 years prior to STO in 2409
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    When I saw this I couldn't help think 2 things.

1)Sir Patrick Stewarts performance in Logan

2) The portrayal of Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi.

I very strongly suspect that we are going to have a"last jedi/logan" picard for the first few episodes. This will probably go down worse than discovery did with some fans.

Personally I hope they do, because it will make Picard even better than he already is.
  • Options

Do I need to remind you that 'Stargate' is a great example of tech-level disparity? sure, the earthers can USE the leftover relics, but they can't approach their actual technical sophistication or produce more. (witness; lack of ability to fabricate zpms, etc. even with Asgard technical libraries available, the infrastructure isn't there.)

it's the same problem with Iconian gates: Starfleet isn't 'there' yet-they don't know how it works.

otoh, the Spore drive was built with 22nd century tech, based on 22nd century science, and wasn't the product of a 'lone genius' but of a team of scientists. (Scientists who don't publish their theories don't get far.) The Klingons are on the same level technologically, the romulans are as well, and several instances have shown there are cultures (NOT in the Federation) who have even HIGHER levels.
    23rd century tech, but more specifically, Federation 23rd century technology. And Stamets and his team aren't just a scientists, he and his compatriots on the Glen apparently were also engineers, or working with engineers, as they devised a machninery to operate on the Mycelium Network. And since the project became classified, their publishing probably stopped before things were getting really useful.

If your Empire doesn't produce Federation like tools and parts, and doesn't have Astromycologists yet, you would need to build up a lot of infastructure to get to that point. And we still don't know why the Federation stops using them. Even if it's just for "ethical reasons", what competing Empire would truly believe them they just abandonded a perfectly good and powerful technology for "ethical reasons"? There is probably something wrong with the tech they don't want to tell you so you waste years or decades to build something that's fundamentally flawed. It's not like you couldn't send the resources elsewhere, like better cloaking tech or better plasma weapons or faster warp engines or combat-drones-that-won't-turn-on-their-creators.

take a breath, and consider the term "Astromycologist" for a moment...

seriously? now follow the chain of logic for that discipline to even exist. it's like "Bigfoot Expert", or the specialty of "Loch Ness Monster Biologist".
    [
    if they're at the same tech level as the fEderation, using roughly the same technologies, do you suppose...they would likely have (particularly when their biologists ARE better, as shown in Enterprise, being that putting information updates into people's DNA is something that the Earthers, Vulcans, Tellarites etc. could not do..) if it were a viable field of study, they might have it too?

seems kinda likely to me, particularly since Klingon engineers aren't significantly behind Federation/Starfleet engineers or the cloaking device wouldn't have worked in the first place.
    It seems to me like in the Star Trek universe, it's similar to "Xenobiolgist" or "Experts on Subspace Mechanics" or taking a course on "Temporal Mechanics" or whatever.

The only way your argument works, based on the OTHER aspects of the situation, is if "Klingons r Stoopid".

which is incredibly bad writing.
    No. My argument - this area of expertise is relatively new and has only really been explored by the Federation so far.

It might actually be a bit like nuclear physics in the 30s and 40s. Some stuff was known, but the way from knowing about the nuclear core, radiation and fission to actually building a nuke is long off. And in fact, today, even though pretty much the entire theory about nuclear physics is publicly available, most countries are still not able to build actual nukes, even some of the ones that really want to. It's not because they are dumb, but because there is just a lot of detail work, instruments and tools you need to do that takes a long time to make, and is not gained from theory.

And no matter how good your rocket engineers (or cloaking engineers) are, they won't build you a nuke (or a spore drive.)
    We even have that outside of weapons technology. Even though the principles of the microchip are well understood, actually building, say, 14nm chip is something only very few companies in the world can do. And getting there took them decades of work.

And remember, that is just one aspect of the potential difficulty of building a useful spore drive. The Discovery and Glen needed a Tardigrade and Tardigrade DNA to really achieve meaningful range, and they only got to that by accident.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    reafis wrote: »
    When I saw this I couldn't help think 2 things.

1)Sir Patrick Stewarts performance in Logan

2) The portrayal of Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi.

I very strongly suspect that we are going to have a"last jedi/logan" picard for the first few episodes. This will probably go down worse than discovery did with some fans.

Personally I hope they do, because it will make Picard even better than he already is.
    I believe I wrote something like this sewhere already; I can already see this scene.

After a nice family evening with a newly befriended Bajoran family, the aged Picard is getting into the guest bed. He hears a noise, and thinks it might be Data (resourrected in B4). "You know what, Data, I think I haven't had such a good evening in a long time." Data's figure is entering the room. Picards mind briefly clears from the symptoms of the Irumodic Syndrome, and the memories flood back, leaving him gasping for air. "But I don't deserve this happiness. Not after what I did. The Enterprise. My crew! I couldn't think clearly, when they needed me. So many people... dead... They trusted me!" Suddenly, the figure approaches and pierces Picard's chest with a Nausicaan Knife. It's not Data. It's Lore, seeking revenge for the decades he was left disassembled in the wreck of the Enterprise D.

(A real shame that Brent Spiner will likely not come back...)

• Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,627 Arc User
    won't matter, won't be watching it because it will certainly be behind CBS' paywall
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    It might actually be a bit like nuclear physics in the 30s and 40s. Some stuff was known, but the way from knowing about the nuclear core, radiation and fission to actually building a nuke is long off. And in fact, today, even though pretty much the entire theory about nuclear physics is publicly available, most countries are still not able to build actual nukes, even some of the ones that really want to. It's not because they are dumb, but because there is just a lot of detail work, instruments and tools you need to do that takes a long time to make, and is not gained from theory.

And no matter how good your rocket engineers (or cloaking engineers) are, they won't build you a nuke (or a spore drive.)
    We even have that outside of weapons technology. Even though the principles of the microchip are well understood, actually building, say, 14nm chip is something only very few companies in the world can do. And getting there took them decades of work.
    To continue the microchip analogy... Let's say you and your team work for Kim Jong-un, your glorious leader has tasked you with replicating a top of the line Intel microprocessor. To start out all you know is what they do. It's a fantastically complex bit of circuitry that makes a computer work. You don't know what materials it's made of, or how it's built. So you send several of your top infiltrators to an intel manufacturing plant to steal the information you need to build one. How much information would your team actually need to steal? 1: schematics for the industrial machinery used to build them. 2: information on how to build the microchips themselves. 3: a complete schematic for the most recent working chip design.

Item 3 is actually the most important simply because it's impossible for one person to replicate it even if they work for a lifetime. Intel has had teams of engineers working for decades to refine their designs. The latest and greatest probably represent more time and effort than one person could achieve in a lifetime. Micro circuitry is just that complicated.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.