test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I wonder how the new post-TNG series will effect STO's story?

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > ichaerus1 wrote: »
    >
    > I would use mine to better upgrade faction parity. Upgrade the staff at Cryptic to be able to handle multiple factions with their own stories and paths from beginning to current. Rather than this "faction agnostic" dross.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > So you expect them to do something that no MMO besides WoW has ever really accomplished?
    >
    >
    > *edit*
    > It seems like the forums finally fixed themselves and it ended up mass posting all the posts I've tried to make in the last few days unsuccessfully. I deleted them since they were all repeats of the posts above.

So it happened to you too eh? Thought I was in a probationary status.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    No, we've been working on fixing the posting/edit issue, but we're having to do it individually. One profile at a time.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I never have run into this at all. When we first moved to the newest, newest Forum before Kael rolled back, there was a button to check your save buffers. I had about 62. Those were not saved by me but autosaves of replies that I never ended up sending. Getting rid of those have proved to be problematic. Unfortunately, that function is no longer availible.

I use Cheetah Mobile Browser for Android and exclusively just for STO Forums and related searches.

G*d, how I hate that term 'Edit Monster'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • aeieaeie Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    As to the topic, at this point I'm just glad they are finally moving the story forward. Whoever though more then one attempt at prequels was a good idea shoulda been beaten with the warp core.

So, I'm hopeful for the new series, since FINALLY it is being moved forward.
    I'm hoping they expand on existing things that are cannon like the fall of the Romulan Star Empire.
    We can only wait and see.

Just to comment on an earlier post, I'd love to see an all Romulan based series. Then again it's also the race i play in every Trek game that has them, including here. So, I'm likely the minority, but i think it would actually do better then some think. The exploration of the other known races could bring a lot to the Trek universe, and could be just as enjoyable (provided the "lets reinvent the wheel" take on how the races look/act isn't continued from the most recent series).

• aeieaeie Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    There's many people, myself included, who think a post Nemesis show is a terrible idea all around.

While i can fully understand the reasoning for why people would feel this way, it does beg one question.
    How would Gene have felt about it? I mean, think of all the flak when TNG first went into production, and all that's been told since then by the actors / crew, during that time.

To me, I saw Gene as always wanting his story and ideas about Star Trek being moved forward, or he wouldnt have even created TNG, maybe its just my wishful thinking that others not only want the same, but can do it in a manner that the fans adore. For him it was a big risk, but one he took. How many here wouldnt be a fan today if he (Gene) hadnt?
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    aeie wrote: »
    There's many people, myself included, who think a post Nemesis show is a terrible idea all around.

While i can fully understand the reasoning for why people would feel this way, it does beg one question.
    How would Gene have felt about it? I mean, think of all the flak when TNG first went into production, and all that's been told since then by the actors / crew, during that time.

To me, I saw Gene as always wanting his story and ideas about Star Trek being moved forward, or he wouldnt have even created TNG, maybe its just my wishful thinking that others not only want the same, but can do it in a manner that the fans adore. For him it was a big risk, but one he took. How many here wouldnt be a fan today if he (Gene) hadnt?

Plenty. There seems to be much fewer people here who have been fans since TOS. Most people here are from late TNG and inwards.

There'll be people here who came in with the prequels of ENT, TKT (i.e. me), or DSC.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    aeie wrote: »
    How would Gene have felt about it?
    Gene would have hated everything Trek has done since DS9 started airing, Voyager, ENT, Discovery, included. And he hated basically all the movies he was alive to see released.

Gene was an incredibly bitter, spiteful, old man, who hated how, ever since TOS began, everyone was "ruining" his vision. What he would have felt about it really doesn't matter since he did nothing but hate what Trek was since basically day 1, and he would have just hated it even more if he were still alive.

It depends. GR wanted TNG to fully replace TOS because GR SOLD the Star Trek IP lock stock and barrel to Paramount (who had acquired Desilu studios). He could have kept the rights, but that meant Paramount WOULDN'T have tried to do much with the show in Syndication (the only reason Paramount did WAS to try and recoup and make some profit off of what was at the time, the most expensive TV series made to date.)

So, yeah, realize that GR would have loved anything he could make money off of. This doesn't make him 'evil'; it makes him a Hollywood producer and businessman.

I have to laugh every time I see someone commenting on how Cryptic does "money grabs"; and that it goes against Gene's Vision™.

People should really read up on Gene Roddenberry, because then you'd see Gene's Vision™ is:
    1) $$$
    and
    2) (.)(.)

Had been been a Hollywood Producer doing today (in terms of how he 'cast' young female actors and gave them walk ons with a line):

Example from TOS second Pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before":
    MITCHELL: Department heads, sir. You wanted everybody on the Bridge before we left the galaxy. Jones.

SMITH: The name's Smith, sir.
    ^^^
    The character "Smith" was a small, young/attractive blonde who never appeared on Star Trek again, but in 1966, that line would be enough for an on set extra get get her/his SAG membership card; and GR was known for trading that kind of favor with a casting couch type favor. So, yeah, GR would have been most likely fired for many a #metoo moment.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I loved the evolution of Picard's character. Picard acted like he was fresh out of the academy, idealistic, and with the prime directive in mind in season one. However, his moral code got progressively stronger. Troi was originally supposed to be Picard's conscience but he ended up counseling her on several occasions. Below are notable crossroads Picard encountered and how he handled them:

S1 E4 "Code of Honor" - Throws Tasha Yar under the bus by letting her fight to the death as to not impede the customs of the Ligonians.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49K-uzKMZQ

S1 E8 "Justice" - Throws Wesley under the bus by letting him get a death sentence but is willing to step in before they kill him if they don't exonerate Mr. Crusher.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOWpgx1WZYA

S2 E9 "The Measure of a Man" - Defends Data in court.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjuQRCG_sUw

S3 E16 "The Offspring" - Advocates for Data and will go to Starfleet to fight the order to release Data's child to the government.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVKLfmCDxg

S4 E21 "Drumhead" - Takes the stand for his crewman.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqwsjBpmdl0
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I personally found it interesting that Picard was so willing to allow the Boralaans to die. It was kinda weird. He's like "No, the universe has decided it's their time to die."
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Phlox also had it in his head that the crisis that race was suffering from was based on evolutionary change, and that it was inevitable for their race to change.... even though the two groups were really just different subspecies.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    I would use mine to better upgrade faction parity. Upgrade the staff at Cryptic to be able to handle multiple factions with their own stories and paths from beginning to current. Rather than this "faction agnostic" dross.

So you expect them to do something that no MMO besides WoW has ever really accomplished?

*edit*
    It seems like the forums finally fixed themselves and it ended up mass posting all the posts I've tried to make in the last few days unsuccessfully. I deleted them since they were all repeats of the posts above.

The Secret World, Dark Age of Camelot would like to speak with you, regarding the "no MMO besides WoW has ever really accomplished" remark. Throw in some Everquest 1 while you're at it. Aion had it for a long time as well. Not sure the status of that game though. At some point I'll check out The Elder Scrolls Online to see if that one holds, or Rift. I haven't kept up on SWTOR past the first 6 months, so I don't know what that one has transformed into. But it had it for those 6 months. And I'll point to the dearly departed City of Heroes/City of Villains MMO before it got shuttered to make way for NCSoft's Korean grindfest Blade & Soul, with both sides having the same amount of stories/origins/unique feel classes. Which for a long time, Cryptic owned/worked on, until Paragon Studios took over.

The OP asked what I would use an ultimate upgrade on, if I could, in a hypothetical dream scenario. And I answered.

Wait a second...Did my posts get moved regarding an ultimate upgrade token? It feels like they migrated to this thread...Ok, who left the gate open at the thread farm?

BMR!!! Or one of the other moderators!!! This post and my prior got shuffled to this thread!!! HALP!!!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I kinda think that's a "mutation" of the Prime Directive, honestly, kind of like how you take a religion that says "love your neighbour" and turn it into "Conversion by the sword" (Sending them to heaven, ala the Albigensian crusades), or "Fighting to protect Democracy" becoming "propping up repressive dictators for 'Democracy'."

in this case, a rule meant to prevent captains from becoming local warlords mutating into a policy of pathological apathy that lets billions of sentients die because they haven't invented a specific widget.

(Short form: I agree, and expound on the possibility that the "prime directive' of Kirk is textually the same, but in practice nearly unrecognizable compared to how it is being applied in Picard's time.)
    Except the first application we see of what would become the Prime Directive was in Enterprise during the episode "Dear Doctor" where Phlox refuses to help cure an alien species of a disease that is destroying them because he found that the disease was caused by a natural generic mutation, and that them dying off would make way for a less advanced species.

OFC, by Phlox's logic we should never cure cancer, or any sort of disease, because its all natural and part of the natural cycle, etc. etc., which in turn makes all of medicine basically a pointless field.

But the point is that the Prime Directive, as it was originally founded back before the Federation was even the Federation, was that you are morally obligated to let species die by the billions, because its more moral then helping them, so long a them dying off was "natural" and not caused by some outside alien species doing something to them.

IIRC, there was a conflict there, because Phlox was acting on HIS morality, not some imposed rule.
    I think the problem is really more that out-of-universe, the idea behind the Prime Directive got lost. Which explains why Phlox also follows the Prime Directive perversion of TNG - he was written later than Kirk or Picard.

Of course, in-universe, we have to remember that Phlox is not basing his actions on Starfleet rules or Federation rules. The latter doesn't even exist yet. It's his own (or his own species) rule that looks similar to the later Prime Directive and might have inspired it - or inspired its TNG era perversions.

And it is pretty nonsensical for a Doctor, IMO. The entire job of a doctor is to circumvent nature and evolution to rescue his patients life. The "natural" reaction to cancer is typically death, not that it gets cut out or killed by radiation or chemicals before the rest of the body dies. Some cancers have genetic causes, "evolution" might eventualy kill of that gene - but it can only do that by killing of the people with the gene before they can reproduce.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    To see 'Yeoman Smith' in a more direct role check out Star Trek Continues episodes especially 'To Boldly Go...' Parts 1 and 2.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Yes, I know but the response was to a statement about her as a Yeoman. In Continues she said she went back to the Academy to further herself.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    No he didn't. It's coined by edgy fanbois who miss the colon out and can't spell DSC (which is the official acronym).

“There’s a reason why we call it ‘TRIBBLE’,” joked Fuller about the show’s acronym, “It’s still Star Trek and we’re not subject to broadcast standards and practices. Hannibal was, and we got away with murder. There will be slightly more graphic content.”

https://deadline.com/2016/08/star-trek-discovery-bryan-fuller-cbs-all-access-1201801698/

I don't care what acronym YOU choose to use. I use it because it was the first acronym.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    So what? Voyager was referred to as VGR earlier on - but no-one called it that. It was always referred to as VOY.
    Note - NOT STV. No trek series acronym has E V E R used 'ST' as part of said acronym.
    There has never been a spore drive or a Kelpian or a mirror universe captain of a prime universe ship. Star Trek: Discovery is full of new things and has new perspective on Trek. Brian Fuller made it clear that Star Trek: Discovery was "breaking the mold".

Call it whatever you want. A new format for the acronym makes sense to me.
    CBS says this is Cannon:

https://youtu.be/cRo7PiltLUI
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    it doesn't actually matter if one person says "DSC" or another says "Disco" or "Discovery" or "ST:D".
    It actually kind of does.

Unlike DSC, or Disco, or Discovery, or using VOY or VGR, all of which get the point of which show you are talking about in the same way, the use of the moniker TRIBBLE clearly indicates that the person is simply insulting the show, and doesn't care for any actual, substantive, or serious, discussion about it.

LOL. No, TRIBBLE is fine. For one, you can't blame ppl for using an acronym that the makers of the show couldn't be arsed to think 5 minutes about to realize Star Trek Discovery would lead to TRIBBLE. Duh. Next time, ppl, think before doing!

Also, has this discussion gotten so petty that we're talking punctuation now?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.