What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    For a movie of the 60s decade, 2001: A Space Odyssey put to shame the analog controls of Star Trek within months of it going off the air. Budget and imagination are all it takes.

Talk about budget, Star Trek set designers had to get some from other sets, like from Mission Impossible, let alone monster masks from The Outer Limits, etc.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I heard the updated Land of the Lost alien in the season two of TRIBBLE is supposed to be a Saurian. I don't care for the impractical (for a combative species, they failed in the art department for TRIBBLE; actors had a hard time swinging their more elabarate 'updated' Bat'leths with poor peripherial vision thanks the pronounced nose bridge) alteration made to Klingons, but I liked their idea for Saurians (as far as I know the actor wouldn't have to worry about accidently injuring him/herself let alone bystanders).

I hope Kelpiens and TRIBBLE Saurians are available as playable alien races for TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    And which button is the cruise control? You have a very narrow definition of "control". The reason it has multiple panels is to show info the pilot can't get by looking out the window. information that he needs to be effective in combat. If the computer displays go offline or malfunction the pilot can't get the job done regardless of whether they're directly used to control he craft. Also... pretty sure the control inputs get routed through the computer anyways.
    No, actually there are as few controls as possible or are necessary. You clearly have never served in the armed forces or you'd know the KISS principle. It applies to nearly everything including military hardware.
    Haha! I know that people constantly curse the designers of military gear for being contractors who've never used it in the field. :p I seriously wonder about it sometimes.... Also, Old SINCGARS:
    Exelis_SINCGARS_RT-1439.jpg
    New SINCGARS:
    RT-1523-VRC-89.png

There is all of ONE hard control on the new one. Why? because the TRIBBLE made the control panel twice as bug so they got rid of them. So yeah, I'm not expecting stuff from 200 years into the future to have MORE buttons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > Hey! There's another 'argue about DSC and not listen to a word other people are saying' thread and nobody invited me? 19 pages. I don't think there's enough space in the text box to quote everything.
    >
    > So I'll just go with...
    > @angrytarg Add hair and they look identical. Or as identical as Worf and Chang look anyway.
    >
    > Even you could of seen that.​​

Naw, I will never see that. And you could of'nt' not of see that. Of.

But seriously I'll not go and speculate about the arrangement of their organs or ethnicities or whatever, they simply look like another alien of the week and the differences especially in Trek prosthetics (Preservers and all) are enough to make them a entirely different species. And add to that it's supposed to be like that, I reckon to make Voq's unnecessary 'sacrifice' seem more violent but whatever the reasons, the fact they have two arms, legs and foldy faces is not enough to say they are the same xD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    And which button is the cruise control? You have a very narrow definition of "control". The reason it has multiple panels is to show info the pilot can't get by looking out the window. information that he needs to be effective in combat. If the computer displays go offline or malfunction the pilot can't get the job done regardless of whether they're directly used to control he craft. Also... pretty sure the control inputs get routed through the computer anyways.
    No, actually there are as few controls as possible or are necessary. You clearly have never served in the armed forces or you'd know the KISS principle. It applies to nearly everything including military hardware.
    Haha! I know that people constantly curse the designers of military gear for being contractors who've never used it in the field. :p I seriously wonder about it sometimes.... Also, Old SINCGARS:
    Exelis_SINCGARS_RT-1439.jpg
    New SINCGARS:
    RT-1523-VRC-89.png

There is all of ONE hard control on the new one. Why? because the **** made the control panel twice as bug so they got rid of them. So yeah, I'm not expecting stuff from 200 years into the future to have MORE buttons.
    Very nice, reminds me of the old Tektronix 7104 Oscilloscopes we used in the USAF.
    But the keypad is a set of hardened controls. It is not a touch-screen system.
    Even the handhelds use hardened controls.
    Here is the Harris Harris’ AN/PRC-163.
    an-prc-163-army-radio-multi-channel-handheld.jpg
    Oh the keypad may not be TOUCH screen, but the way it does context-sensitive menus is as far as you can get from hard wired controls while still having actual buttons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    What is the view on the TOS or TNG remasters, by the way?

For example, does the Enterprise D canonically fire phasers from its torpedo launcher tube, or not? Are the remasters a different timeline or parallel universe?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    the enterprise has never fired a phaser from a torpedo launcher as far as i remember - the d'deridex has frequently fired various weapons from what was SUPPOSED to be its deflector, however​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    This hate for the discovery Klingons. Didn’t worf get turned into a primal Klingon in tng where the whole crew got turned back in their own primitive species.

Was he turned back into a lizard type thing? May explain why the Klingons look like they do in discovery.
  • Options
    sykokiwisykokiwi Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Noooooo. Not more bloody grinding. Adding discovery at this point just introduces even MORE bloody clashing timelines and appearances... It's just sooo.. no. No no no.

Expand the existing content, create new and exciting stuff going forward, not back.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    the enterprise has never fired a phaser from a torpedo launcher as far as i remember - the d'deridex has frequently fired various weapons from what was SUPPOSED to be its deflector, however​​

Darmok:
    darmok273.jpg

Thanks, I couldn't remember the episode, but with the episode title, I could even find a before/after video:

https://youtu.be/awhS30Ln7Gw?t=11s
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    vonestelvonestel Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Quite apart from what I think of the Discovery TV series, it makes sense that STO would do their best to bring it into the game, and I salute CBS and STO for doing so. That said I do have reservations about this continual 'make a new character to interact with the new zone' theme. With all the time travel in the game already can't we find a way to allow existing characters to interact with the new content? e.g. with the excellent Journey to Babel mission in the TOS zone, there is no reason that future time travelers couldn't have done that mission. I'd be happier about taking my old crew into the past in a period ship than creating a new character yet again.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    vonestel wrote: »
    Quite apart from what I think of the Discovery TV series, it makes sense that STO would do their best to bring it into the game, and I salute CBS and STO for doing so. That said I do have reservations about this continual 'make a new character to interact with the new zone' theme. With all the time travel in the game already can't we find a way to allow existing characters to interact with the new content? e.g. with the excellent Journey to Babel mission in the TOS zone, there is no reason that future time travelers couldn't have done that mission. I'd be happier about taking my old crew into the past in a period ship than creating a new character yet again.

This is my only real gripe with the next content.

A great part about MMO's and any RPG is that you can have one character and continually develop that character over the course of months or years. That means that anything new added to a game simply becomes the next big challenge and you must learn to face it with your existing character, trying your best to adapt or develop to combat the new threats. It's a bit like real life, you need to keep adapting to new things you have to face in life.

Every time they add a new faction, or new starting point like AOY, VIL etc it just means my existing toons can't experience that new content fully. And it also mean that any new toons i must make then turn into a dull grind to get to the same level as my top end ones, or alternatively i just play the new content and ditch them.

I spent years developing my main toon, i want to use him for any new content, not have to keep restarting new ones.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    alpha#9002 alpha Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    New Content is New Content! its all Good :)
  • Options
    ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Sorry but no...
    First, I am a bit disappointed with ViL. I mean, it was a good season but it was so short. Moreover it has only one space STF and not even ONE ground STF. I know that many here disagree with me but I don't like the way things are done.
    New seasons now mean 3-4 things:
    - a new character
    - a new reputation
    - a new specialization
    This make the new character always more and more difficult to level up. My Jem is lagging behind all the other characters and it requires a LOT of resources and time just to bring it to an acceptable level compared to my old characters.
    Usually the new reputation traits or specializations are unused. All the reputation traits require a balance, players use only specific ones (for instance for ground: lethality, deadly aim, armor penetration and metal acuity).
    What about the graphic glitches and bug? The Timeline Stabilizer make horrible visual bug, it's more than 2 months already.
    Moreover, there are still so many story-lines to tell before introducing the risky TRIBBLE. What about the Sphere builders? Is that possible that everything ended in the battle of Procyon 5? if I remember correctly there was also a blog post about a rebel sphere builder.
    What about the borg? They got stronger after the first temporal incursion. One can only think to all the story-lines that are unfinished.

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User

What I do NOT want is for the game to transition to a Discovery core framework with material from that series coming to dominate the game going forwards. I don't want to play STDO. And I won't.

The refrain from Cryptic has been "it'll be like AOY, but with Discovery." Material from Discovery will be incorporated into the game just as every other series has been. And while we know there are multiple seasons to "Age of Discovery" (building the equivalent of a single expansion over time so they don't have to wait until X5 to dive-in in earnest) they won't exclusively involve characters and events outside the 2410 setting. We can speculate that after the initial flush of season 15 (which is what's coming) and elements from the DSC universe are bought in to serve as foundation, the next Discovery seasons will involve more interactions between DSC and STO elements since then those interactions will be more tenable (just as AOY started with TOS and finished with a pan-series arc that played more heavily against modern STO characters and events.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    For a movie of the 60s decade, 2001: A Space Odyssey put to shame the analog controls of Star Trek within months of it going off the air. Budget and imagination are all it takes.

Talk about budget, Star Trek set designers had to get some from other sets, like from Mission Impossible, let alone monster masks from The Outer Limits, etc.
    Famously, they tried to find "futuristic-looking" salt shakers for the Incredible Salt Vampire episode, and wound up with things that at some point someone would have been forced to hold one up and say, "This is a salt shaker!", in order for anyone to understand that. So instead they got a shaker from the NBC commissary, and repurposed all those shakers they'd bought but couldn't use as McCoy's instruments.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    > @duncanidaho11 said:
    > ucgsquawk#5883 wrote: »
    >
    >
    > All the other changes to me just seem ridiculous, with no need other than 'its our show so **** you' to the part of the fanbase who do care about the continuity they've created.
    >
    >
    >
    > That is literally the tone and extent of the criticism offered by those who rage against the show purely on continuity. Discovery's creators care about placing the show in an appropriate era. There are a wealth of nods and major design cues used to show that while Discovery and other non-1701 vessels aren't from the exact same era as TOS they are directly leading up to it. And Discovery season 2 goes one major step further, from what we've seen so far. Narrative? This is the Klingon War. We never had any of the details and the major twists (sore drive and cloaking) are foreshadowing for Search for Spock (transwarp-sans-tardigrade and cloaking). Ie. continuity (even if the bookending is unsubtle.)
    >
    > You can also find design cues that harken back to Enterprise. For example: the bloody uniforms and the style of the Shenzhou's interior. The DSC season 1 production was basically an average between ENT and TOS with some extra visual flair thrown on to both help the presentation for a contemporary audience and also suggest that it's been a long time between those series, in universe, too. This isn't coming out of the Archer era, it's following the era which follow that. The visuals compliment that while still rooting the show in what's to come. It's great sci-fi world building, because it's stepping above the level of tone deaf fan service (much like the original show did in stepping up from pop-sci fi serials which played close to genre conventions [because of growing audience expectations] without considering how that was constraining.)
    >
    > Being the person whining about Discovery because it's not playing to your projection for how this era should be (taking it uncritically) is being that person sitting down to TOS and complaining that the villains weren't (to use Trek parlance) Dr. Chaotica enough. That's not a blanket defense against the writing, arcs, and choices in tone (TOS's issues don't go away because pop serial fan wants more of what he already likes), but it is a suggestion for how to treat expectations in the context of sci-fi entertainment (they're just your opinion without further analysis.)

I notice you decided to only quote and focus on the one portion of everything I said, including the part where I actually defended some of the design choices by pointing out a part of a novel where they discuss the technology.
    Why would you quote a single portion where I expressed an opinion why I didn't like the show and ignore everything I discussed about reasons they might have done it and that it was only my opinion.
    I'm happy that people who like the show will get something, as long as it doesn't take over all the rest of the game (ie all the klingons mutate to look like the TRIBBLE ones)

The novel clearly discusses touch screen style technology controls and Uhura saying why the Enterprise doesn't use them, this is actually support for TRIBBLE style technology...despite the fact I don't like the show.

Please be considerate enough to read all of what I said and not just pick a single point and attack me on it because my opinion is different. Doing so makes you come across as the worst type of fan.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Honestly, i have a lot of Friends that want to know about the Age of Discovery... never been trekkies, but they do like the tone of the series and are willing to try the game… that's good in my book!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Ghosts.
    I am making GHOSTS with the new Character Slots.
    The new Season/subfaction is coming this fall.
    Why not PWN it?
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I notice you decided to only quote and focus on the one portion of everything I said, including the part where I actually defended some of the design choices by pointing out a part of a novel where they discuss the technology.
    Why would you quote a single portion where I expressed an opinion why I didn't like the show and ignore everything I discussed about reasons they might have done it and that it was only my opinion.

Because it's a broken sentiment that needed general elaboration without invoking your overall point? Note this sentence:

"That is literally the tone and extent of the criticism offered by those who rage against the show purely on continuity"

Followed by an address to subject:
    "Being the person whining about Discovery because it's not playing to your projection for how this era should be (taking it uncritically) is being that person sitting down to TOS and complaining that the villains weren't (to use Trek parlance) Dr. Chaotica enough. "

I wasn't "attacking" you specifically, you is a general statement referencing those which you can self-identify with or not depending on how you meet the stated criteria (if the answer is no: then the post doesn't apply to you.) Note that unlike other languages English doesn't have a distinction beyond "y'all" which has regional connotations that I don't find suitable to my writing style. I apologize for not making that distinction more clear in my post, but I think it was still sufficient to carry the point that those who complain about changes without considering visual media and social context (the negative to those who you were referring to) aren't doing due diligence to their discussion points.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Honestly, i have a lot of Friends that want to know about the Age of Discovery... never been trekkies, but they do like the tone of the series and are willing to try the game… that's good in my book!

Yeah this is one of the most important points that is getting missed a lot in discussions i've read. New show + content added to game = potentially quite a few new players.
    And if the game can attract enough new players or keep a smaller number really interested then that is only ever a good thing. It means potentially more money spent on the game which funds the developers, and it means more population in game to bring life back into it.
    Not many other MMOs these days can run an expansion/DLC/new content in-line with an actual current run of a prime time show IP. STO is in a unique position if it can truly take advantage of that fact.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    If you were not referring to myself directly when quoting me then that's fair enough.

I do think however you do a disservice to fans by painting them in such broad strokes.
    As I pointed out, there is clear evidence in the novels as to why the Enterprise had the technology level it did (or rather why it had simple basic systems on the top level), and why other ships did not. If they go back and put in all new touch screen ultra modern tech on the Enterprise just to appeal to those who can't understand why it looks older or who simply can't stand it looking like a more basic tech level then they are only thumbing their collective noses at the large fan base that want that continuity.
    There's no reason at all that they can't maintain the continuity while adding to it...it's easy enough to do. There's a massive amount of work that's been done detailing the tech behind this show and world building.
    I was trying to point out that by creating a show set in (or rather right before) what is the most iconic of the series (for having started it all) then taking all the lore and universe building that has been done and changing it....because they can (we've got newer wiz-bang effects and makeup we can do more really is a ''because we can" reason), rather than using the new effects etc. to make what already existed look better but keeping that base that was so loved.
    We've seen how good they can make that old style look in Enterprise, they could have expanded that. Discovery isn't a powerhouse fleet ship/explorer like the Enterprise is, it was a research vessel really so going with the newer tech is fair enough, but to change SO much else on top of very poor designs (klingons who can barely talk and have rubbery hands...look at those extended fingers and had to hand weapons that are more adept at suicide) and writing that is just silly, not to mention ridiculous ideas (even for SciFi) like instantaneous light (we shine this really bright light and everyone will flock to answer....from light-YEARS away).

Sorry I've rambled so long, it seemed shorter in my head.
    Ultimately the show just doesn't work as star trek for me (acceptable if a little poor generic SciFi maybe). But I'm glad others can enjoy it and will get something out of an expansion, as long as it doesn't tread on it replace what others like in the game.