test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone noticing that the enemy keeps mega critting?

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Honestly players shouldn't be able to eat a Cube Core Breach anyways because that is a rather LARGE power core going critical. But that's my personal opinion.

It's all a matter of distance to it. Besides, with no air in space, not much of a shockwave going on, I reckon.

Actually, laws of physics would say it's quite the opposite.

First you'll have an explosion still in oxygen-based atmosphere (what interior of the ship used to be), which results in bunch of floating debris flying around at superfast speed. However, with hardly any exterior forces in vacuum of space to slow it down, it will continue to float quite far away at the same speed (Newton's first law). So you could have a deadly collision even millions of kilometers away.
    Same reason why even tiny space debris is so dangerous to our satellites and space stations in the present day.

(I'm sorry, my inner scientist/engineer needed to have a word - I'll go back to DPS chasing and in-game maths now.)

Yeah, except we were not talking about debris, but about being able to withstand the blast of a Cube Core Breach. So, if you're not immediately inside the explosion radius, you should be good, was my point.

(I'm sorry, my inner scientist/engineer is going back inside now)

Right, but we need to see *what* exactly causes the said damage after explosion happens. First we have shock waves, which probably wouldn't be able to travel in vacuum under normal circumstances, agreed.

However, let's take a common handgrenade, for example. Main damage done will not be due to it's internal explosion, but rather the result of fragments that get thrown all around after the result of that explosion. That would still be able to do large damage to you even in space. Granted, that's only if the heat generated wouldn't immediately evaporate every part of the ship, but I would doubt that's the case even with a warp core explosion.

Anyhow, I think we can both agree that STO has never made any realistic sense and is probably even worse than something like Girls Und Panzer in terms of following actual physics. :smile:

LOL. That video was hilarious. :)

Ha, I know! To paraphrase you (regarding LIS): I normally wouldn't suggest animes, but that one is really worth watching. Choro told me to watch it, and having never been an anime follower, I was sceptical, but that video convinced me otherwise. And it turned out to be one of the best binge-watching experiences I've ever had. Even named my new Yorkie tank after a reference from it. (That same ship has suffered those mega crits several times in HSE now - see, I'm still on topic.) :D
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Just done some testing in ISA. I took a 30k damage Tricobalt mine and dropped it next to a cube with me next to the cube. Damage hit 102,668 without a critical. My normal hit should be around 30k. I have both a screenshot and combatlog of this and it happened multiple times but not every time.

Something in ISA is causing kinetic damage to the player to scale up by a a large amount at times triple or higher. Not just NPC damage but player damage as well.

EDIT: I did the same test in CE but the damage was correct at 30k each time.

Not just in ISA. I've seen it in The Swarm and in CCA this last week.
    My main flies a torp boat and on the majority of runs (even on normal difficulty) i'm seeing nearly every torp impact hit 30k+ dmg, that's for single impacts out of a spread when the tooltip indicates they should be around 14K. Even if they were crit hits there's no way i can be getting that many crits in a match, not with only 20% CritH or similar.
    HY's were easily hitting into the hundreds of thousands in dmg even without critical hits.
    This was using a mixture of photon based torps (EBM, Grav, Terran, Lukari).

As to surviving a warp core blast, all that mass is converted into energy, and that energy is going somewhere. 1 gram of antimatter reacting with 1 gram of matter will be roughly 40kt in power, imagine the mass of the fuel tanks on a starship reacting with the superstructure. The Hiroshima bomb was around half that power by contrast.
    That is going to be one very big explosion and a lot of energy, in the form of radiation and exotic particles being formed. All of that hitting a ship is going to be devastating, and the blast wave won't stop, it'll continue on until it dissipates in space. That could take millions of kms, or even lightyears to happen.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    or it'll just dissipate within a few km, since veridian 3 wasn't affected by the warp core breach from the enterprise at all - it didn't even so much as rustle a tree​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    or it'll just dissipate within a few km, since veridian 3 wasn't affected by the warp core breach from the enterprise at all - it didn't even so much as rustle a tree​​

Yeah, core breaches in Trek always were a bit meh. A least in ST'09 we saw the full potential of an antimatter explosion, that's what we should have been seeing each time. But i guess budgets wouldn't allow it and also plot-wise they could have a massive blast like that every time a ship blew up.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    And the floating debris field at Wolf 359. Seems there were quite a few less breaches there.

One thing I don't like is that, after the Borg Red Alert went to a Queue, when Cubes are destroyed they disappear for about five or so seconds and then you get the massive Warp Core breach.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    ^That's happening in the Borg DSE too.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Anyhow, I think we can both agree that STO has never made any realistic sense and is probably even worse than something like Girls Und Panzer in terms of following actual physics. :smile:

Doesn't that pretty much describe Star Trek in general?
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Yeah, core breaches in Trek always were a bit meh. A least in ST'09 we saw the full potential of an antimatter explosion, that's what we should have been seeing each time. But i guess budgets wouldn't allow it and also plot-wise they could have a massive blast like that every time a ship blew up.
    Just for scale's sake: A warp core going off in orbit of an inhabited planet probably ought to be an extinction-level event.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

Doesn't that pretty much describe Star Trek in general?

Star Trek can make some sense. It's not anywhere near an accurate representation, but what's depicted on screen is mostly believable. STO, as a game, pretty much completely throws everything out of window, in order to have a better, more interesting gameplay. And I'm totally fine with that.
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Yeah, except we were not talking about debris, but about being able to withstand the blast of a Cube Core Breach. So, if you're not immediately inside the explosion radius, you should be good, was my point.
    There wouldn't BE much of a BLAST in space. Without any atmosphere to carry a blast, there would simply not be one. What would actually happen is that the ship explodes in a flash of light and hard radiation. There wouldn't be much in the way of "kinetic" damage at all, and would rapidly lose intensity over distance because it falls off at inverse-squared.

Yeah there's no atmosphere to transfer the blast as in an atmosphere but the explosion probably create all manner of charged particles that are travelling at speed, it's almost similar to a star going nova.
    That wave of matter being expelled will do a lot of damage to anything it hits. Just look at what a supernova can do to anything nearby, the blast can push entire gas clouds out of the way and the radiation alone would be extremely nasty.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That's why 'Firefly' was so unique. As soon as Serenity left the atmosphere it depicted the soundlessness of space.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    so did 2009 - at least a small bit​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    As a point of comparison on Earth, look not to a nuclear BOMB—there's a lot of effects that don't happen in vacuum—but rather to nuclear REACTORS. In particular, what's left of the Chernobyl power plant.

See, a few years ago they built a dome over the damaged reactor to replace the collapsing Soviet-built sarcophagus. While they were working on it, they of course had to worry about radiation, so they took measurements. Turns out that you only need to be a few hundred feet away for the radiation to spread out enough to work safely without radiation suits. PBS did a Nova episode on it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/chernobyls-megatomb.html

Obviously there's a significant difference in scale between this example and a warp core going off, but physics doesn't play favorites: the inverse square law holds.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    There wouldn't BE much of a BLAST in space. Without any atmosphere to carry a blast, there would simply not be one. What would actually happen is that the ship explodes in a flash of light and hard radiation. There wouldn't be much in the way of "kinetic" damage at all, and would rapidly lose intensity over distance because it falls off at inverse-squared.

Which is why I started by saying:
    It's all a matter of distance to it. Besides, with no air in space, not much of a shockwave going on, I reckon.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.