When do we get DISCOVERY ships?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @patrickngo said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > I figure the Disco stuff won't be coming until season 1 ends.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Obviously, but they already released a uniform pack. We know a few things that probably wont' be worked on (Klingons) beyond the NPC stage, at least, but there's ample time for them to do ships, etc. especially if Disco material is prioritized and current plans are rainchecked to get it out. (Seems likely, CBS wants their stuff promoted-it's good for business.)

Why exactly would the Klingons not be worked on?
    Um, They're Klingons?? The only work Klingons get in this game when they aren't NPC's is done off the clock, as unpaid volunteer work, so yeah, they're likely not being worked on beyond what's necessary to add new Federation content.

I mean, have you just NOT been paying attention the last seven years? "Klingons are Unprofitable".
    Right... Hold my Tranya while I check how much it cost to buy this outfit:
    beltrancollection_by_marhawkman-db5jtw9.png
    Oh wait! It was free!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • steeplerotsteeplerot Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I would very much like a Crossfield. KDF could use a good newer sci ship also. I literally have 2x new 60 temporal characters, one captain named Tilly waiting for her mirror ISS Crossfield, and a temporal Lorca, who needs a USS Crossfield. c'mon!
  • for some reason, when selecting the 'make-up lipstick' option, it ties the color of the lipstick, to the eye color; I opted for the eye color to be correct, and go without the lipstick... :sunglasses:
    Make sure to remember your settings, then click the randomize head parts button. After that lipstick color is seperately from eye color.
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

• silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    for some reason, when selecting the 'make-up lipstick' option, it ties the color of the lipstick, to the eye color; I opted for the eye color to be correct, and go without the lipstick... :sunglasses:
    Make sure to remember your settings, then click the randomize head parts button. After that lipstick color is seperately from eye color.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    The randomize tip worked, and so I found a couple of reference photos of Halston Sage and had a play around with the settings to see what I could do better... Certain quirks of her face, like the exact shape of her jaw and mouth, I think may be beyond the capacity of the tailor to recreate 100% (and of course, accurate Xelayan forehead, nose and hair will always be an impossibility) But this is what I managed to achieve (I was right about the lipstick, it makes a huge difference...)

Y50Wsqi.jpg

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    That's very nice
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    edited December 2017
    reafis wrote: »
    I have a Scryer

I like the Scryer. In fact, my friend loves them and uses them on her sci Fed characters. She says the design is perfect for a sci-based ship because of the doughnut shape of the saucer. It keeps the labs separate from the rest of the ship in case of some kind of failure which could endanger the rest of the ship. I think that's what she said, it's been awhile back, but she finds the saucer section of the Scryer very sensible for a science ship.

On this topic, I've never seen any Discovery, so I'm neutral in my opinion. I will tend to agree that we could get them around the Anniversary, hopefully not lockbox/RnD/DOFF pack gambleboxes. It would be nice to get one as the anniversary ship, but I doubt that. If we're getting a Gamma quadrant expansion, then we'll get a ship more in tune with that expansion.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    echatty wrote: »
    reafis wrote: »
    I have a Scryer

I like the Scryer. In fact, my friend loves them and uses them on her sci Fed characters. She says the design is perfect for a sci-based ship because of the doughnut shape of the saucer. It keeps the labs separate from the rest of the ship in case of some kind of failure which could endanger the rest of the ship. I think that's what she said, it's been awhile back, but she finds the saucer section of the Scryer very sensible for a science ship.

actually a pretty solid reason to have that arrangement-though there are other ways to get a similar result, most of them woldn't fit the Federation's root design standards as well as the toilet-seat saucer does. it also works for modularity; swap out a section or segment at the yard, instead of retrofitting the entire ship.

All good ideas.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • mikejf1220#5024 mikejf1220 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    except for the sarcophagus dreadnought carrier that's already been leaked...pretty sure the feds ain't getting THAT​​

show the leak.
    yeah, i'm not that stupid...that's what got IQ Fleet shut down​​

Then the 'leak' is wishful thinking and hearsay. (though I'm inclined to believe we'll see a Sarcophagus ship long before we see a T6 vor'cha.)

It is against the rules to post links to leaked content. It is also against the rules to discuss specific details of leaked content.

But without doing either of those things, I can tell you this about the "place" the information came from: every single thing that has been posted there has later been released in game. Every. Single. Thing.
    echatty wrote: »
    That's very nice
    Thank you :sunglasses:

• mikejf1220#5024 mikejf1220 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    in which case, it's not a leak, but a preview, and/or Cryptic needs to fire someone for violating their NDA. now, just because there's a picture of it, doesn't mean it's going to be player-compatible, it could be a new NPC ship copypasted onto a UI and 'leaked' as trollbait.

I can't say much for the reasons mentioned earlier but I will say this: this stuff isn't revealed in pictures, but in other ways. And using those other ways it is possible to distinguish between what will be a playable ship vs some new NPC ship.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    edited December 2017
    It would be best if talk about leaks stop and the thread get back on topic. Just saying.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited December 2017
    valoreah wrote: »
    The randomize tip worked, and so I found a couple of reference photos of Halston Sage and had a play around with the settings to see what I could do better... Certain quirks of her face, like the exact shape of her jaw and mouth, I think may be beyond the capacity of the tailor to recreate 100% (and of course, accurate Xelayan forehead, nose and hair will always be an impossibility) But this is what I managed to achieve (I was right about the lipstick, it makes a huge difference...)

Are you using alien or human? Reason I ask is the tailor is a lot less restrictive with certain facial features if it is an alien.
    Alien, and yes, alien allows way more versatility in the customization... But some things, such as the shape/thickness/curvature of Halston's lips, are unique enough to be beyond (as far as I can tell) what the tailor can facilitate: While one parameter/shape may be correct, then another will be wrong. I might be able to further refine the shape of her jaw, but I don't think it will look 100% accurate, and certainly not when viewed at various angles. And of course, this is only a tribute toon, not in-game content :lol: It's more a balancing act of getting an 'overall aproximation', rather than creating a true reproduction. Take the in-game Seven of Nine, for example: We accept it as a representation of Seven, even though it's not 100% true to Jeri Ryan.

All good fun though :sunglasses:

*WhoopsBrokenTags

azrael605 wrote: »
    > @patrickngo said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > I figure the Disco stuff won't be coming until season 1 ends.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Obviously, but they already released a uniform pack. We know a few things that probably wont' be worked on (Klingons) beyond the NPC stage, at least, but there's ample time for them to do ships, etc. especially if Disco material is prioritized and current plans are rainchecked to get it out. (Seems likely, CBS wants their stuff promoted-it's good for business.)

Why exactly would the Klingons not be worked on?
    I think the Discovery-esque Klingons will be worked on, but I don't see them being added en-mass, because that would be too much work for the devs, be changing the look of established Klingons for no valid reason, potentially break people's characters (and thus risk player backlash) or even just have other unintended effects, as sometimes happens when they tinker around with the Legacy Code.

To have Worf (literally Star Trek's most long-running and heavily seen on-screen character) for example, suddenly appear as a hairless Discovery-esque Klingon, under the pretence of 'that's what he always looked like, it was just makeup restrictions' would be so laughably disingenuous, it wouldn't even be wrong (or whatever the expression is) I don't think the devs are stupid enough to do something like that...

What I would expect to see, would be a mission along the lines of Daniels' Temporal Shenanigans or the missions to Fluidic Space, which will put The Player in the Discoveryverse.

I can see there being Lock Boxes and gear along that theme, and things like Discovery Klingons, will be a payable unlock, in the same way as the Into Darkness Klingons are a payable unlock: Available and optional, but not a mandatory overlay retconning all in-game Klingons...

Now aspects I would like to see, would be T'Kuvma and L'Rell's forehead ridges as selectable options (and an accurate body overlay for with bathing suits, to be 'more Klingon' than merely 'muscular'... I know they won't add the rest of L'Rell's 'goodies' as in-game content, because age rating :wink:)

#CueAppearanceFromDrukSayingHeWillPayforSuperKlingons

• jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    It would be best if talk about leaks stop and the thread get back on topic. Just saying.

I get why we shouldn't talk about leaks, since openly discussing them is what gets the data miners to hide the fruits of their labor and ruins it for the rest of us that were browsing their findings responsibly. But the thread's topic is Discovery content, so leaks that suggest more Discovery content are in fact pertinent to this thread and wholly on-topic.

What's off topic is that Orville aliengen character a few posts up. It's super good, but it doesn't belong here.
    jexsamx wrote: »

I get why we shouldn't talk about leaks, since openly discussing them is what gets the data miners to hide the fruits of their labor and ruins it for the rest of us that were browsing their findings responsibly. But the thread's topic is Discovery content, so leaks that suggest more Discovery content are in fact pertinent to this thread and wholly on-topic.

What's off topic is that Orville aliengen character a few posts up. It's super good, but it doesn't belong here.
    Thank you :sunglasses: In context of the conversation, it does belong, as The Orville had already been referenced with gags of apostasy ;) This was simply an example of mine ;) Discussion of The Orville and Discovery, is just one of those things, like ham and eggs, or turkey and stuffing: They just Go Together :tongue:

valoreah wrote: »
    Alien, and yes, alien allows way more versatility in the customization... But some things, such as the shape/thickness/curvature of Halston's lips, are unique enough to be beyond (as far as I can tell) what the tailor can facilitate: While one parameter/shape may be correct, then another will be wrong. I might be able to further refine the shape of her jaw, but I don't think it will look 100% accurate, and certainly not when viewed at various angles. And of course, this is only a tribute toon, not in-game content :lol: It's more a balancing act of getting an 'overall aproximation', rather than creating a true reproduction.

I think what you have created looks good. Would be even closer if there were a similar hairstyle available, but other than that it looks just fine.
    Thanks :sunglasses: I decided to take another pass, just for my own curiousity (the difference is so subtle, as to not be worth posting) but I'm standing by my previous statement that some of Halston's features, simply cannot be recreated in the tailor: I can't bring the eyebrows down close enough to her eyes... I can't get the shape of both of her lips correct at the same time (top, or bottom, but not both together) and, to make things trickier, Halston's mouth (and cheeks and jawline) changes A Lot depending upon how much she is smiling in any given picture... What looks right on one reference photo, looks wrong to another... To get the correct depth/length of the toon's jaw to match Halston's, the edges of the jaw become angular and over-pronounced... Face-on, and partial profile, I would say 'recognizable', but in profile, the chin length starts looking wrong... As mentioned, projects like this (and as mentioned, Seven, and other Face Characters) are an exercise in compromise and 'overall look', rather than 100% replication... Still, all good fun :sunglasses:

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just to clarify, we won't be GETTING Discovery ships. We will be given the opportunity to PURCHASE Discovery ships.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    but a playable sarcophagus ship is infinitely more likely than a Tier Six Vor'cha, so while I'm being kinda dismissive here, it doesn't really surprise me.
    Regardless of veracity, if Cryptic creates a model for a Sarcophagus ship, they will monetize it. After the Universe class, they will put a price tag on any asset. If the Sarcophagus is the Durgath 2.0 (as some speculate), then it will be in a promo pack, end of discussion.
  • The randomize tip worked
    Glad I could be of help :)

Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

The randomize tip worked
    Glad I could be of help :)
    Very much appreciated :sunglasses:

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Bring on the Shenzhou/Walker class...
This discussion has been closed.