What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Respawing option should be removed in PVE

Comments

• Options
    surghsurgh Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I have no worry about the devs doing the perma-death thing, will not happen, it would cost them to many players/income. This whole conversation is about a few elitists wanting to wag their epeen and show how bad-TRIBBLE they are in elites and how much better they are than the casuals.

• Options
    surghsurgh Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    valoreah wrote: »
    There's not only no point in discussing what is only being said as a blatant incitement, but it's also dangerous, because it could potentially make devs think "They're talking about this, must be some interest #SeemsLegit..." and before we know it, it's permadeath on any and all content on even the normal settings....

Personally, I find squashing discussion that we don't agree with to be far, far more dangerous a thing than adding a feature to a video game.

In the real world, possibly, on a game discussion board...naa.

• Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    There's not only no point in discussing what is only being said as a blatant incitement, but it's also dangerous, because it could potentially make devs think "They're talking about this, must be some interest #SeemsLegit..." and before we know it, it's permadeath on any and all content on even the normal settings....

Personally, I find squashing discussion that we don't agree with to be far, far more dangerous a thing than adding a feature to a video game.

Exactly! We're just discussing the options of what can be done to help improve the game. Discussion is the means by which an idea can become a reality. Squashing it, just because you don't agree with it, is the death of an idea.

@silverlobes#2676 if you have been following this discussion. You would have noticed that perma-death is but one option that has been presented. And while discussing perma-death is entertaining, it also leads to thoughts and ideas of how it could be handled in-game. But it has also opened up the avenue for other suggestions to be made and discussed as well.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Thanks to the mod for jumping in and promoting civil discourse. To reiterate: permanent death in sto is the most humane option to encourage players to improve their understanding of the game. It's humane in that it gives the player a choice: improve or look elsewhere. It's a steep learning curve but it will create a more competent playerbase and a sense of pride felt from overcoming obstacles - death itself.

Can you just explain for all of us here why exactly people need to improve their game play in your mind? Who is the judge of how competent players are? Do we measure DPS? Or how little they die? Or how good they are at space barbie? Or how good their toon bio is? Or how much wealth they can accumulate?

I mean by all mean stick a perma death in as an optional elite level of difficulty. But why do YOU personally feel that the players need to be treated to something like this? Why do YOU feel that the players are such poor quality, and what makes your opinion any better than anyone elses?

Why does a very casual game like STO (which is really just a light-hearted Trek theme park) need something like this added to it?
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User

This is a private forum, not a public space, there is no 'right to free speech' here. I'm not getting into a bout of word-pong with you. I've voiced my concerns (as have others) called this out as the insanity which it is, and even called in a mod. Anything which gets instated now due to 'continued discussion and interest on the topic' is on YOUR heads for not denouncing Another Merry Trolling from Dental sooner. #OverAndOut
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Hate to spoil a good paranoia-fest, but pigs will fly to the moon and back before Cryptic implements features based on some random flamebait on the forums.
  • Options
    It's very telling that several of the people who are clearly losing this argument are trying to get the thread destroyed. Trying to use force when reasons fails reminds me of a lot of vile things.

I think the idea for Kobali tokens to resurrect dead toons is fantastic. The devs have already focused a lot on the Kobali, its strange that they haven't yet taken the next logical step of making Kobali mechanics central to the game.

If they did this. I'd want a semi-perma-death system. To where if I died, that toon would still be available for doffing/adm, until said token was used. I'd rather all my toons languish in doffdom, instead of becoming a Star Trek version of a zombie.
    Demotion is an interesting idea.

Are we talking just in rank? Or in level as well?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Personally, I say that if permadeath is so ideal for you, feel free to delete your toon every time you "die". I won't stop you.

However, I think it's a profoundly stupid and counterproductive idea. (Someone once said that experience is in fact the worst teacher, because it so often gives the final exam before the lesson.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Since it just hit me. They could do the Kobali thing. But since they've already done it with Martok. Might as well offer a metaphasic radiation regenerator along with it. That way the player has the option to come back as a Kobali, or as themselves.

All my toons have the same thought here. The Kobali need to become extinct. It's what they get for genetically altering themselves to where they can't procreate. Any species that ignorant, needs to go ahead and fall to extinction.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Kobali (C-store) vs demotion (free) seems like an interesting approach, but if the Kobali debuff is permanent it would make taking a simple demotion a bit OP. Folks would simply accept demotion and level back up without any real consequences. Demotion seems like it'd be more appropriate as an option to mitigate perma-death in lower difficulty levels, with Kobali being the only route for failure in Elite mode.

When introducing actual consequences to gameplay, the options need to be balanced from the start. This isn't the kind of thing that should be rebalanced later on.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    trennan wrote: »
    Are we talking just in rank? Or in level as well?

Not sure yet. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Well with just using rank. They could set it to where you can't earn specialization points, until you've earned enough experience for your rank and level to match again.

Going by level, it would start to cut them out of what ships, gear, specializations, traits, and skills they could use. What you gained by leveling, can be taken away by de-leveling. This really wouldn't hurt much, unless you dropped below level 50.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    > @casualsto said:
    > Flaming/trolling comments moderated out - BMR

I'd like to thank the moderators for being there.

@nabreeki is clearly trolling and stirring reactions here.

Perma-death is a bad idea for pve. Perhaps a better idea to solve the BDSM tendencies of some morbid members is to add a "respawn sickness" that causes the character/ship dealing 50% less damage and causing -100% threat generation during the debuff - this allows the disable/crowd control skills to still work, while avoiding death in a row and punishing the death via a debuff. That, ofc, stacks with injuries. And injuries could be disabled from being healed during the event.

I'd gladly appreciate if mods instead of using censorship-happy tactics would let me find my last reply without being logged in. I don't remember writing any direct profanity by any standard from PG12 to adult content. Also, protecting any player from critique or scrutiny gives a bad vibe to the mods.

It's a bad thing to give us the impression that you would take any sides. Because you are not. You are an even, neutral, impartial moderator which does censor direct profanity. Thank you for tempering the initiative though. It resulted into this post.

I'd like my praise for the users who heal and support others during stfs being restored though. They deserve the applause and the praise. Cause they prevent the triggering of elitists seeing the "Press R to Respawn" screen. Which triggers hardcore self-proclaimed elitists with toxic attitudes towards newbies or underperforming team members. Maybe they have a low end pc...
  • Options
    That's a long talk to have. And it is offtopic, especially when trolling and sustaining a game-breaking new mechanic without understanding its implications.
  • Options
    And tell me you're not reading my posts in the voice of Damar...
This discussion has been closed.