What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Strategema
    I do think the angel will end up being a Iconion.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Spock is younger than Michael.

Which is why I said they were about the same age. However, we don't know if Vulcan children age as fast as Human children. Vulcans live longer than humans so they might have a longer childhood.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I won't get too much into the arguments, because there is no point.

I will say however, that I honestly feel bad for Trek fans that won't let themselves like Discovery. This show is fantastic and only getting better.

Pick it apart if you want, we can do that with every Star Trek Series ever made. You're just cheating yourself, Discovery is fantastic.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I won't get too much into the arguments, because there is no point.

I will say however, that I honestly feel bad for Trek fans that won't let themselves like Discovery. This show is fantastic and only getting better.

Pick it apart if you want, we can do that with every Star Trek Series ever made. You're just cheating yourself, Discovery is fantastic.

For the first two episodes at least, Season 2 is fantastic, but Season 1 is absolute garbage by comparison with only a few decent episodes. Season 2 might end up being just as bad by comparison, but lets hope they don't TRIBBLE it up.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Memory Alpha lists his birth date as 2230. He was assigned to Enterprise in 2254. So he’d be 24 by The Cage
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    something happened in star trek? iconians​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    those were all elements linked to iconian influence or involvement through STO, though, not star trek proper...maybe CBS will link them, though - they seem to like the story STO is telling, or they would've made it go another direction long ago​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Memory Alpha lists his birth date as 2230. He was assigned to Enterprise in 2254. So he’d be 24 by The Cage

how old is the edit?

I mean, Memory Alpha is a Wikipedia, and (at least when I was going) wikipedia's not a reliable source by itself-it's subject to change.

2230 is shown in Star Trek Beyond.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I just watched the first episode of the second season. There is so much clutter and noise. Seriously, all those effects. Yes I get it, 60s Trek is dumb and stale and blah but seriously, this isn't the way.

It's a dramatic series opener to draw people in. It's a almost feature length episode. Some were overused but some er spectacular. When all three are suited up and looking down on the asteroid and the shipwreck it looks spectacular. I can't help but imagine how dull it would have looked even as modern as ENT. Three guys on a soundstage or greenscreen with a Papier-mâché asteroid.
    The 'gravity trap' thing in the shuttle bay. Not only did it look terrible when they set up the magic nano folding device ( @artan42 it's not just helmets, everything folds into nothing in the future 😜) but again, tractor beams?

Replicating and assembling the pieces would have been as quick and not looked as stupid as nano-magic.
    And Tilly is still hot

Meh, she's no Detmar.
    Season 1 was the best first season in the franchise.

This is correct. Other than a lack of focus on more characters, too much blue tint, and the bloody Mirror Universe, it was coherent, planned, and didn't make me hate a main character (poor S1 Picard).

I don't know where that's from in canon (or just another made up MA thing or it could be from a display like the ENTs crew was in the Mirror Defiant) but a deleted scene from 09 shows him born at the same time as Kirk was on the Kelvin, so his birthdate is 2233 (or 2234 depending on what month the Kelvin was destroyed and accounting for the time it would take to get back to Earth for Kirk to have been born in Iowa without his mother going into early labour due to Nero's attack).

The episode was great though I feel too TNGish. The majority of TNG, TOS film, VGR, and ENT episodes all feel very TNG so it would be nice if DSC didn't also do this. S1 felt like a DS9/TKT hybrid and a mix of DS9/TKT/TOS would be preferable to me and fit better in the era than more TNG. Especially as that hampered ENT from reaching its potential.

I liked it, don't get me wrong, Pike is great, the main theme could have been articulated better at times but the cowardly owners of the forums have decided a major part of Trek is undiscussable so I won't bother.

Burnham is a weak link. I strongly dislike main characters and much prefer ensambles. Seven took over VGR, Kirk had too much focus in TOS, TAS, TOS films, and TKT, Robot the Sidekick ended up as Robot the Star by mid-TNG, but they grew. Kirks story was getting older, Seven and Data were becoming human. I know it's only series 2 (and episode 2 at that) but Burnham has only learnt that mutiny is not all it's cracked up to be.

I have other thoughts I may get into later.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options

how old is the edit?

I mean, Memory Alpha is a Wikipedia, and (at least when I was going) wikipedia's not a reliable source by itself-it's subject to change.

which is an alternate timeline, iirc, in which several things happened differently?

It doesn't diverge until 2233. Everything before that is exactly as it will has been.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Glad someone has the guts to say it.

Absolutely true.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited January 2019

Glad someone has the guts to say it.

Absolutely true.

I don't think it takes any amount of bravery to make a statement you believe to be true on a video game message board with anonymous account handles. We're people talking abut a TV show, and neither side has any kind of moral superiority.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »

how old is the edit?

which is an alternate timeline, iirc, in which several things happened differently?

It doesn't diverge until 2233. Everything before that is exactly as it will has been.

huh, except a whole lot of divergence is seen between them BEFORE 2233. In the original timeline for example, the first Romulan war was fought with nuclear weapons and video comms weren't available... iirc, the same sources that confirmed it was an alternate timeline set the change prior to the Kelvin incident due to timey-wimey shennanigans.

hell, the statement that it diverges at 2233 is just about as non-canon.

But hey, it's Star Trek, where speeds are set at the speed of plot, hte warp-scale is incoherent, and Starfleet is either the United Earth Space Probe Agency ("The Cage", "Where No man has gone before") or the United Federation of Planets Starfleet, they either have 12 starships, or hundreds, (within the same timeframe) and so on.

All conflicting, all said on screen, and therefore, all canon (to an extent, or until the current owners change it.)

It's flat out stated by Spock the divergence happens due to the destruction of the Kelvin and Robus dialogue tells us the date was 2233. That's as canon as you can get.

#TASforSTO

• Options

how old is the edit?

huh, except a whole lot of divergence is seen between them BEFORE 2233. In the original timeline for example, the first Romulan war was fought with nuclear weapons and video comms weren't available... iirc, the same sources that confirmed it was an alternate timeline set the change prior to the Kelvin incident due to timey-wimey shennanigans.

hell, the statement that it diverges at 2233 is just about as non-canon.

But hey, it's Star Trek, where speeds are set at the speed of plot, hte warp-scale is incoherent, and Starfleet is either the United Earth Space Probe Agency ("The Cage", "Where No man has gone before") or the United Federation of Planets Starfleet, they either have 12 starships, or hundreds, (within the same timeframe) and so on.

All conflicting, all said on screen, and therefore, all canon (to an extent, or until the current owners change it.)

It's flat out stated by Spock the divergence happens due to the destruction of the Kelvin and Robus dialogue tells us the date was 2233. That's as canon as you can get.

and how does this relate to Discovery again??

it doesn't matter when Spock was born before CBS decided it to be 2230. That is now the canon, along with M.Burnham being the bestest-evahr with predestination and being the girl who created teh milky-way with ashes one hundred thousand years ago.

the Canon changes at the whim of the IP owner, that is how it is. Whatever it was, it doesn't have to be, because it's all only as canon as the owners say it is (or isn't).

Uum, I think you're trying to have a different conversation and with somebody else.

I have no idea when Spock was born and if DSC mentions it, I said that a deleted scene from 09 had him born in 2233.

Though the rest of your post is more of the same from you, so meh.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    The year 2230 is shown on Prime Spock’s obituary. That date was pulled from the Okudas chronology book published back in 96.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    The year 2230 is shown on Prime Spock’s obituary. That date was pulled from the Okudas chronology book published back in 96.

Thank you. That overrules a deleted scene.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Strategema
    So this is interesting, if of questionable veracity (let me reiterate, it's a "friend of a friend" thing and I cannot verify it). A forum member on TrekBBS claiming to be a friend of a member of the production crew has an alternate explanation for Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts being removed from DSC. They said that they were planning to take the "red angel" storyline further into the realm of the supernatural and discussion of religion than even DS9 took the Prophets and Pah-Wraiths, but Kurtzman and CBS vetoed it. I'll update this post with a link if I can get it.

Quoth the friend who told me about this after reading it on AlternateHistory.com, "They planned on Pike becoming fully "born again," for example, and were going to explicitly add supernatural elements to Trek canon (well, more explicit than the Prophets/Pah-Wraiths anyway). This may be walked back by Kurtzman later in the season somewhat, so as not to trigger incredible bouts of fan rage.

"Certainly the episode last night seemed to plant the seeds. Pike's father is established as having taught comparative religion. He's open to the possibility that the New Eden colonists' religion may be true, at least in a sense. He's clearly there as a foil to Burnham, who comes down on the side of rational materialism. Despite Burnham having seen the Red Angel, she remains convinced that it's just some sort of advanced alien being.

"Oh, and Tilly starts seeing a childhood acquaintance who is dead."
    those were all elements linked to iconian influence or involvement through STO, though, not star trek proper...maybe CBS will link them, though - they seem to like the story STO is telling, or they would've made it go another direction long ago​​

In point of fact, Kael mentioned that CBS asked to borrow Cryptic's notes around the time the Picard show was announced. I'll try to find a citation.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.