test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek: Discovery Uniforms

Comments

• tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Don't even joke about that man!

It hurt grinding for the Enterprise MACO!
    To this day, I remain convinced that whoever thought that was a reasonable price tag for a single-character aesthetic unlock is/was out of their minds. And/or out of touch with the player base.

I wanted the MACO costume for every character that could have it, but whoever decided that was a price was indeed out of touch with reality.
    They're probably living on the Mir space station admiring all the stars instead of checking their work. :p
    With the amount of Dilithium we have to spend on every aspect of the game, did they really think we have that much spare to buy costumes?
    where2r1 wrote: »
    As for Discovery = Epic Fail......
    I haven't seen enough of the story yet to tell anything!!
    Boy, is that story SLOW GOING...40 mins at a time...

I think we're witnessing the end of quality sci-fi as we know it.
    Dark Matter was just cancelled for an inane reason and that caused me to lose interest in all current or future sci-fi shows.
    Because I'm getting frustrated with stories that never end because of cliffhangers.
    DM was just starting the major story arc they'd been building up to for three years! :'(:s

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    redvenge wrote: »
    The Trekyards full spoiler review of episode one has a couple of good still shots of the torchbearer.

I watched the Trekyards show. Goodness they got into details of the Episode, didn't they? I was hoping they would get more into the ships....but they never did. Oh well.

They had a nice shot of the Torchbearer armor...but still not good enough because there was artifacts glaring all over it. Is that the "lens flare" everyone complains about?

But found these web pages:
    http://www.treknews.net/2017/07/20/klingon-torchbearer-suit-sdcc/
    https://trekmovie.com/2017/07/19/sdcc17-klingon-torchbearer-revealed-gentle-giant-announces-star-trek-discovery-collectibles/

There is sooooo much detail on the armor...it is firmly planted in the realm of : CEREMONIAL.

This is a special suit for the guy who is standing on that Beacon of Kahless, lighting it. I would assume...you need to filter out all the glare along with the noise, hence the full coverage over the eyes.

Not for battling at all. I don't need this...I would be fighting BLIND.
    No wonder the Torchbearer was a one shot. He couldn't see anything coming!!! LOL!
    Plus that bat'leth looks decorative...not sturdy or balanced at all.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,525 Community Moderator
    where2r1 wrote: »
    There is sooooo much detail on the armor...it is firmly planted in the realm of : CEREMONIAL.

This is a special suit for the guy who is standing on that Beacon of Kahless, lighting it. I would assume...you need to filter out all the glare along with the noise, hence the full coverage over the eyes.

Not for battling at all. I don't need this...I would be fighting BLIND.
    No wonder the Torchbearer was a one shot. He couldn't see anything coming!!! LOL!
    Plus that bat'leth looks decorative...not sturdy or balanced at all.

True, however there are examples of full helms like that that look like you should not be able to see AT ALL, notably in XCom 2 with ADVENT soldiers.
    latest?cb=20160225063408

Theoretically to offset the lack of a clear faceplate for vision they'd have some kind of HUD to allow the individual wearing it to actually see.

Without knowing exactly what is in that helmet, we can only speculate as to how they can see.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    patrickngo wrote: »
    It's not supposed to be balanced (the bladed thingy). These are Discovery Klingons-they're not meant to be capable of athletic movement, they just stand there and scowl a lot, then waddle-run around a bit while softly rasping lisping threats and being Trump standins.

The pragmatic, mobile, athletic Klingons clearly outcompeted them in the next ten years and left them behind and extinct on the ash-heap of history.

I am not very happy about the Klingon makeup nor the costumes...I was expecting much better.
    It really impeded the actors. They could not speak clearly, nor move.

One can not really tell from quick clips nor stills...it wasn't until the program aired...I could tell it was pretty bad.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    True, however there are examples of full helms like that that look like you should not be able to see AT ALL, notably in XCom 2 with ADVENT soldiers.

-image redacted-

Theoretically to offset the lack of a clear faceplate for vision they'd have some kind of HUD to allow the individual wearing it to actually see.

Without knowing exactly what is in that helmet, we can only speculate as to how they can see.
    That would be the most logical conclusion; I would assume that the visor can be flipped up/removed in the event of a system fault. A look at XCOM 2's art book might be in order to see if the artists considered this.

Interestingly, a few of the superplanes from the Ace Combat series use something similar in the form of the COFFIN system. What contingency mechanisms exist in that universe for system failures is to my knowledge not explained.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,525 Community Moderator
    That would be the most logical conclusion; I would assume that the visor can be flipped up/removed in the event of a system fault. A look at XCOM 2's art book might be in order to see if the artists considered this.

Interestingly, a few of the superplanes from the Ace Combat series use something similar in the form of the COFFIN system. What contingency mechanisms exist in that universe for system failures is to my knowledge not explained.

Also... a technically more real world example I can think of is from the movie Firebirds, where one of the training exercises an Apache pilot had to go through involved a total blackout of the cockpit and relying on instruments and a helmet eyepiece linked to cameras on the helicopter's nose. Nicholas Cage's character failed this test because of eye dominance (his left eye was the dominant one and the eye piece he needed to rely on was over the right) and had to go through some rather creative training to overcome this.

Creative... as in his friends wrapped his head in underwear and stuck a pariscope on the eye he needed to use and had him drive around in a jeep.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    So, when can we expect them to have the good sense to add the tactical kit to this uniform package? It would consist of the utility belt and at least one new top (they might well have variants just like the base uniform).

35637cfe721ad2da74d4324d7bd5eadb.jpg

See?! They DO have belts. I knew it. :)

Now I want that belt. :smiley:
    Any chance of the phaser rifle and pistol from Discovery to finish off the Discovery look?

Perhaps in the near future, we will see a one-off mission, like Terminal Expanse, where we visit a past time or an Alt U with a chance to pick up a few look-a-like weapons or other gear.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • nirruk#8003 nirruk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    (console) Just wondering when the consoles will be getting the Discovery Uniforms.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Discovery boots are now my favorite... if only I could use them outside of the Tight Pants category (like my second favorite pair... the Section 31 boots)...
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    Discovery boots are now my favorite... if only I could use them outside of the Tight Pants category (like my second favorite pair... the Section 31 boots)...

Agreed, I'd love to be able to use them with my ENT era MACO uniform.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    So, when can we expect them to have the good sense to add the tactical kit to this uniform package? It would consist of the utility belt and at least one new top (they might well have variants just like the base uniform).

35637cfe721ad2da74d4324d7bd5eadb.jpg
    Well... the "Terran Utility 2" belt does fill that niche fairly well..

57Q7iz.jpg
    I wish all the parts were usable with other uniforms. The badges might look good on other uniforms, and I do agree the boots would look awesome with more than just tight pants.
    I actually have an alt that is wearing that as her primary.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Incidentally, using the tartigrade, Lorca was able to display a live image of the surface of Romulus. 10 years prior to Balance of Terror.

Shall we stretch credulity to the maximum and sugest all Romulans were off world for a summer holiday when the tartigrade visited?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    artan42 wrote: »
    Incidentally, using the tartigrade, Lorca was able to display a live image of the surface of Romulus. 10 years prior to Balance of Terror.

Shall we stretch credulity to the maximum and sugest all Romulans were off world for a summer holiday when the tartigrade visited?

I think it is obviously that by "preserving canon" the creators meant that we do stuff that is completely out of any canon but brush it over by making Discovery "super secret" so that nothing they do will ever be known by anybody outside of the ship pig-2.gif So who knows but I still suspect Discovery is a "non-prequel-prequel" which I once again don't know why they even bother.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »

I think it is obviously that by "preserving canon" the creators meant that we do stuff that is completely out of any canon but brush it over by making Discovery "super secret" so that nothing they do will ever be known by anybody outside of the ship pig-2.gif So who knows but I still suspect Discovery is a "non-prequel-prequel" which I once again don't know why they even bother.​​

I agree, so much better if they just went back to the future (post Voyager) and proceeded from there. Kind of the way STO does. Lots of room for divergence and alternate timelines, as we've seen. :)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Or just continued on post Enterprise or post TUC. Plenty of room there. Here we are on grounds where Chris Pike commands and too prone to get all discombobulated.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User

The link you gave shows purple uniforms. Which is wrong. The uniforms are supposed to be blue (or white for sci)
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    totenmet wrote: »

The link you gave shows purple uniforms. Which is wrong. The uniforms are supposed to be blue (or white for sci)

Thumbnails on the linked site look blue to me. Maybe your monitors colors are off?​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User

I heard that on Cpt Lorca's ship, the one he blew up, that they were all yellow and that's why he blew it up :open_mouth:

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User

they're blue; fix your monitor​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • direwolfe42direwolfe42 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    velqua wrote: »
    Did everyone get STDs today? :p I picked mine up from Promotions. Just glad it's "FREE". :)

OH DEAR GOD

ive got a cream for that lol
  • direwolfe42direwolfe42 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Are we getting Discovery ships as well. I want the walker class ship.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,825 Community Moderator
    "Rule #1 about Discovery plans: We don't talk about Discovery plans."
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Discovery? Was wonderi g if its gonna be tied into the anniversary even next year. There wernt ant duplicates at thy e battle of the binary stars so the devs have a few designs they can use