test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How are you going to watch Discovery?

lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
edited September 2017 in Ten Forward
With Discovery coming at the end of September we are almost at game time. We've all seen the fan response, good and bad, but I'm curious as to how everyone plans to watch.

I'm personally planning to wait for the DVD/Blu Ray sets, I have no desire to subscribe to CBS All Access to watch.

How are you going to watch Discovery? 68 votes

I've already subscribed to CBS All Access.
4% 3 votes
I plan to subscribe once Discovery airs.
5% 4 votes
I'm going to watch the first episode on CBS and decide from there what to do.
20% 14 votes
I'm going to wait for the season to end and subscribe for a month to binge watch it.
1% 1 vote
I'm going to wait for the DVD/Blu Ray set to come out.
10% 7 votes
I'll watch it on Space channel (Canada) or Netflix (if in one of the 188 eligible countries).
25% 17 votes
I won't watch it.
32% 22 votes

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Watch the premiere. If I'm hooked crazy-hard I'll subscribe for the season, if not I'll wait for the DVD.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • redspecter23redspecter23 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    You left out "download it from one of many places I can get it for free instead of paying/waiting"

I don't necessarily approve of this sort of action, but it is an option that many will choose to go with I'm sure.
    You left out "download it from one of many places I can get it for free instead of paying/waiting"

I don't necessarily approve of this sort of action, but it is an option that many will choose to go with I'm sure.

Possibly he left it out because discussing illegal acts is a violation of the forum rules. Hint hint.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    DVD boxset for me or Netflix here in the UK
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      Netflix FTW!
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
      edited September 2017
      Netflix. I'm already back on track for my EPIC BINGE of all of Star Trek on it. I started with DS9, went through all of Voyager then back around to Enterprise, now I'm on TOS. I just finished the finely aged cheese that is "The Cage", good times!
      Post edited by terloki on
      Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
      Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
      General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
    • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      edited September 2017
      i wish there was a choice if the series can be syndicated that way it can be seen from other stations besides just CBS.

or if you are in a different part of the world, wait for it on TV whcih usually follows half a year to a year behind the original run in the US.

one wouldn't need to say they can pirate it when there is an option for "other" as well.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
      where is the option, the episodes will be leaked. and i will spoil the forums full ... ^^
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      Netflix. And since I already have netflix anyway it'll basically be free pig-2.gif​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
      edited September 2017
      JJTreck or not, Trek these days definitely has a major identity crisis, and this series being, for all intents and purposes a second or maybe even technically a third reboot has made it a confusing mess beyond recognition and out of hand, at least for me. Star Trek has died for me. Thank goodness Star Wars hasn't "quite" suffered this fate. However, all respect to those that do like it, but I've just been unable to stay on the Trek train as it's been going, but I hope you all like it and some good does come of it for you.

test
      Post edited by kitsunesnout on
    • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
      I'll watch every episode they put on broadcast TV. So I guess it'll be a one and done for me until it comes out on Blu Ray. But I won't bother with the Blu Ray either unless both of these things happen.

1. The show has a good buzz around it. So far, the only buzz I keep hearing are the flies circling the dung heap and I sadly don't see that changing. I'm hoping it does but I'm not betting any money on it.

2. The show actually does well enough that they green-light a second season. Just because the people in charge are saying the show is already profitable doesn't mean it'll stay that way if it bombs. I won't invest time or money anymore in dead end projects. I'm tired of getting interested in a show and then having the plug pulled before there can be a proper ending. Also, they'll need to wrap up the story at the end of every season and not end on a cliffhanger. Unfortunately, studios don't seem to want to do this.

Other than that, I'm not holding much hope for this series. I've wanted Star Trek back on TV for a long time, so when news of this first broke I was extremely happy. But as more information was released I grew less and less enthusiastic. I'll give it a chance to make me a fan, but they've got a huge hill to climb to do that.
      Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
      I think Netflix for me in Canada; plus I don't have cable. :'( Not sure if it'll be simul-released or delayed.
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
      angrytarg wrote: »
      Netflix. And since I already have netflix anyway it'll basically be free pig-2.gif​​

Lucky bacon. -_-
      As I live in the US... I don't have that option.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
      valoreah wrote: »
      iamynaught wrote: »
      1. The show has a good buzz around it. So far, the only buzz I keep hearing are the flies circling the dung heap and I sadly don't see that changing. I'm hoping it does but I'm not betting any money on it.

I'm curious, are you even bothering to look for anything positive about the show or are you satisfied with just looking at negativity?

There is just as many positive reviews and posts out there. You just have to look.

Quite frankly all of the supposedly positive reviews I've read and watched sounded a little too positive. And most of what of they found positive was exactly what was negative for me.

What really killed Discovery for me was the Las Vegas panel when they said: give us a chance. Let us be your kids' Star Trek... That was a slap in the face for me. I've watched Star Trek since the last 60's and supported it all my life. JJ Trek was a step in the wrong direction. And so is Discovery.
      Dahar Master Qor'aS
    • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
      valoreah wrote: »
      iamynaught wrote: »

I'm curious, are you even bothering to look for anything positive about the show or are you satisfied with just looking at negativity?

There is just as many positive reviews and posts out there. You just have to look.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying 'everyone' thinks it's TRIBBLE. I have seen positive reviews for it, of course. But a lot of what I've seen, I don't like. And I think that like many other folks out there, I tend to pay more attention to certain reviewers who have shown similar thoughts of other projects. Just because a movie is rated really high or low, that doesn't mean that *I* will think the same of the movie. Tastes differ. I mean, ask a group of Trek fans what their favorite Trek movie is and you'll have answers all over the place.

I'm not making up my mind until I actually see what they give me. And since I'll only have the first episode to go by, I will have to rely on the people I trust in their thoughts of the show after that point. It might start out horrid and end up being the best Trek series ever, or vice versa.

Hoping for the best, planning for the worst.
      Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
      DVR, FF through the commercials.
      "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
      edited September 2017
      Meh. Unless I start hearing really nice things, I'm probably not going to bother.
      trygvar13 wrote: »
      ...give us a chance. Let us be your kids' Star Trek...

coughTV-MAcough
      Oh for Prophets' sake, we already have one thread of a hundred pages of b*tching about how much DSC is going to suck, take it over there.
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
      starswordc wrote: »
      Oh for Prophets' sake, we already have one thread of a hundred pages of b*tching about how much DSC is going to suck, take it over there.

Agreed.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
      garaks31 wrote: »
      where is the option, the episodes will be leaked. and i will spoil the forums full ... ^^
      That option is called "forum ban".
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      If Discovery is too inconsistent with what 10 years before TOS should be, then I will just throw it into a parallel universe. Another possibility is to treat it as a sequel to Enterprise and not a prequel to TOS where any inconsistencies are due to Enterprise's Temporal Cold War. Enterprise is not a prequel to TOS since prequels explain the backstory behind the various characters or universe in the original show, movie, or novel.