test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T6 Oberth Support Thread

avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
Now I am sure that I am not the only one out there waiting for a possible T6 Oberth and I have been looking forward to its existence for some time now, it is certainly a very uniquely designed ship which I at first thought was quite odd, but I eventually came to like it a lot.

I would guess it will be called a light science vessel for obvious reasons but it seems that there may be some problem with choosing an alternate specialization for it. They have already used temporal for a number of science ships and intelligence equally so, this leaves pilot and command, now I don't think command would work for such a vessel and that then leaves pilot which people have already suggested for another unreleased T6 version of an existing science ship.

Any thoughts on what they should do with a T6 Oberth vessel?

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Not sure how you'd make a T6 cannon fodder ship...

Sounds interesting though.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Pilot sci ship. With protomatter themed clicky as homage to twok??
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I bought the T1 Oberth on one of my first sci characters. I like it and always swap to it with new sci characters as soon as I can get to a ship selector after the Tutorial.

Wouldn't mind seeing a T6 version.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Has it ever actually been established how the crew gets from the upper hull to the lower in those things?
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    A T6 Oberth. I like this idea. I think this would be a very fun ship to fly. I read the thread title and visualized a PUG going into Hive Elite with all the usual suspects and then having one of these drop in to complete the team. Very amusing if the rest of the pug isn't aware it is the T6 variant.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I regularly fly my T1 Oberth into pve queues just for fun. Last CE event I did all my runs using one and came top a few times.
    I'd love a T6 version, maybe with a removable mission pod or something. It's pretty much just a tiny little NX sized saucer with a sensor pod.
    SulMatuul.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    anazonda wrote: »
    Not sure how you'd make a T6 cannon fodder ship...

Sounds interesting though.

Well... we have a T6 Miranda, a Lobi T6 NX, a promo T6 Connie...
    k20vtec wrote: »
    Pilot sci ship. With protomatter themed clicky as homage to twok??

I think you mean Search for Spock. But honestly I don't see her coming with a protomatter anything. She was doing a survey of the Genesis Planet when the Klingons ambushed her. Honestly didn't see them have time to do anything.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I've been thinking about what a T6 Oberth would look like, and I can't see it as anything other than a support ship. I imagine some sort of enhanced sensor analysis (maybe passive like it used to be, or coordinated so it doesn't just affect your target, but the target of your target, or just plain more effective), better subsystem targeting, and maybe a -threat console. I love the ship, but even with a fancy redesign it would look a little ridiculous taking down a cube. The Oberth should be a quiet ship, sitting on the edge of the battle, making its teammates more effective.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    I'm all for this! Back when STO was just starting out I was REALLY turned off by the ship creation gimmick they'd originally promoted, but seeing that you could fly an Oberth almost did it for me. What turned me back off from that idea was that it wasn't a freely accessible ship. I'd still like to fly an Oberth but as a level 60 captain I have access to so much better (I loves my D'Kyr), but a T6 Oberth might loosen my wallet.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Can we just move all these "I want a T6 ______" into one thread so the wishing can be contained to one annoying thread instead of a bunch?
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Likely something like this ...

OBERTH-SCHMIDT.JPG
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Likely something like this ...

OBERTH-SCHMIDT.JPG
    That looks really nice, actually.

oldracesbanner.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    FXCLylC.jpg
    Dunno if you can see it, but the 3d Oberth model I have has a TMP style neck under the main hull, connection the two. I can make another render if you guys would like, and I think a T6 Oberth could get the Miranda treatment with a new class, with optional Oberth skin.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Smokebailey, you ma'am are a very talented artist.

Cirran
    Post edited by cirran1 on
    Hah, a Star Trek "Millennium Falcon"! I see what you did there!
    oldracesbanner.jpg
    Hah, a Star Trek "Millennium Falcon"! I see what you did there!

At Vanishing point, you can buy that one, along with other trek stuff like bridges and shuttles, etc
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    T6 Nova or Luna first.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Owner: United Federation of Planets
    Operator: Starfleet / Civilian
    Type: Scout, science vessel, transport, supply ship
    Active: 23rd century - 24th century
    Decks: 13
    Crew complement: 80 (standard); 5 (minimal)
    Armament: Phaser bank
    Defenses: Deflector shields

Taken from Memory Alpha.. The Oberth does not even have support for a Photon Torpedo and STO claims they were phased out around the Dominion War.. Just like the Constitution this is one ship class that were all over the place but eventually discontinued.

According to some Star Trek sources the Nova Class starship is the replacement for Oberth Class.

It makes a good Tier 1 ship that was fun to fly, but it's too small to be anything else. Having a small Oberth class come in and do some magic powers and blow up an entire fleet by itself would just be so wrong and CBS would not agree. And we all know CBS have a big say in these Tier 6 decisions.

The lower sensor pod is accessable through a sideways going turbolift in the support struts..

latest?cb=20141013090019&path-prefix=en
    Owner: United Federation of Planets
    Operator: Starfleet / Civilian
    Type: Scout, science vessel, transport, supply ship
    Active: 23rd century - 24th century
    Decks: 13
    Crew complement: 80 (standard); 5 (minimal)
    Armament: Phaser bank
    Defenses: Deflector shields

Taken from Memory Alpha.. The Oberth does not even have support for a Photon Torpedo and STO claims they were phased out around the Dominion War.. Just like the Constitution this is one ship class that were all over the place but eventually discontinued.

According to some Star Trek sources the Nova Class starship is the replacement for Oberth Class.

It makes a good Tier 1 ship that was fun to fly, but it's too small to be anything else. Having a small Oberth class come in and do some magic powers and blow up an entire fleet by itself would just be so wrong and CBS would not agree. And we all know CBS have a big say in these Tier 6 decisions.

The lower sensor pod is accessable through a sideways going turbolift in the support struts..

latest?cb=20141013090019&path-prefix=en

Sod CBS, I say. We got T6 NX, and T6 t'varo's....much older than the Oberth, same sizes, and kicking rear thrusters , yo! ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    steaen wrote: »
    Has it ever actually been established how the crew gets from the upper hull to the lower in those things?

There is no lower hull. The thing that looks like a secondary hull is a large unmanned sensor pod. The only reason anyone would ever go there would be if it needs to be repaired, and presumably the engineering repair teams are beamed there and back.

The MSD shows decks in there and the interior sets from the TOS films, the cut open Vico from TNG and the comparison between the Tsiolkovsky and Ent-D means the ship is about 200-300m, more than big enough to have turbolifts in the pylons.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

artan42 wrote: »

There is no lower hull. The thing that looks like a secondary hull is a large unmanned sensor pod. The only reason anyone would ever go there would be if it needs to be repaired, and presumably the engineering repair teams are beamed there and back.

The MSD shows decks in there and the interior sets from the TOS films, the cut open Vico from TNG and the comparison between the Tsiolkovsky and Ent-D means the ship is about 200-300m, more than big enough to have turbolifts in the pylons.

That size makes no sense, none whatsoever. At that size it would rival the Constitution Refit, meaning a scout / survey ship the same size as a capital ship of the line! It would also dwarf the Bird of Prey that killed it in one shot. Nothing about an Oberth that large makes any sense in the context of the film for which it was created. The TNG episode that re-used the model portrayed it wrong.

More on this here.

Meaning a scout would be similar in size (but not volume or mass) as an explorer since superseded by the Excelsior. No part of a tiny ship makes sense as can be seen here.

The TNG episode that built a new model from scratch with decks thought out by a designer who'd seen the interior sets used as being too large for the tiny ship.​​

#TASforSTO

• nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    Give it a "Pegasus" console (phased cloaking of short duration, weakness thereafter for 5 seconds/get destroyed if within something), maybe
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    That said, 31rst century technology enabled Kal Dano to fight 25th century Tholians in a ship no larger than a shuttlecraft. I'm sure some handwaving about future tech and miniaturization and such could create a semi-plausible excuse for a Temporal vessel disguised as an Oberth that functions as a solid science vessel. It would be one hell of a sleeper, that's for sure.​​

Kal Dano's ship wasn't as small as a shuttlecraft on the inside, just the outside. For all we know, it was the size of a Vdngeance when tou turn it inside out.

The MSD shows decks in there and the interior sets from the TOS films, the cut open Vico from TNG and the comparison between the Tsiolkovsky and Ent-D means the ship is about 200-300m, more than big enough to have turbolifts in the pylons.

That size makes no sense, none whatsoever. At that size it would rival the Constitution Refit, meaning a scout / survey ship the same size as a capital ship of the line! It would also dwarf the Bird of Prey that killed it in one shot. Nothing about an Oberth that large makes any sense in the context of the film for which it was created. The TNG episode that re-used the model portrayed it wrong.

More on this here.

Meaning a scout would be similar in size (but not volume or mass) as an explorer since superseded by the Excelsior. No part of a tiny ship makes sense as can be seen here.

The TNG episode that built a new model from scratch with decks thought out by a designer who'd seen the interior sets used as being too large for the tiny ship.

That's the same page I linked. It states that "The Oberth was always intended to be a very small ship and definitely not the same size or even bigger than the Enterprise NCC-1701 (and) it seems unlikely that the Constitution refit, as the capital ship of those days, wouldn't be significantly larger than the Oberth.". It's very clear in the film that Grissom is supposed to be significantly smaller than Enterprise and similar in size if not smaller than the Bird of Prey that destroyed it.

The page also acknowledges that "its appearance is neither technically reasonable, nor does it support the intended size of 120m. The ship obviously wasn't carefully designed by ILM." It explains the likely thought process that went into the inflated size used in certain TNG episodes, while noting that that size was contradicted more than once in TNG, sometimes within the same episode.

The conclusion drawn there is that 120m is official but too small to be feasible at all, and 300m as shown in TNG "Hero Worship" is entirely too large to work in the context of Star Trek III. Many if not most of the re-uses of the model in TNG are questionable at best and can be taken with a grain of salt. It suggests a 150m compromise size that solves the worst of the issues with the design while retaining the plot-relevant size comparisons with the other vessels in that film.

Regardless, Oberth is closer to a small craft than a true starship. It's barely more than a tug for the underslung sensor pod with only a single phaser bank for armament and minimal shields. It was one-shot killed by a Bird of Prey. Its combat capability is probably on par with, if not less than, a Danube runabout.

That said, 31rst century technology enabled Kal Dano to fight 25th century Tholians in a ship no larger than a shuttlecraft. I'm sure some handwaving about future tech and miniaturization and such could create a semi-plausible excuse for a Temporal vessel disguised as an Oberth that functions as a solid science vessel. It would be one hell of a sleeper, that's for sure.​​

Well, we seen Mirandas being one hit killed, or some Klingons the same way.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.