test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What did you think: Mirrors and Smoke

Comments

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    paddy#3322 wrote: »
    Also well done for everyone staying civil.

And for a forum that runs on rage, we all deserve Nobel Peace Prizes! :D

• curmecurme Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Star Trek has always, always been about social commentary and moralizing delivered with all the subtlety of a brick to the head. Things got a little more nuanced once Gene was no longer in charge, but...

War is Bad, Drugs are Bad, Pollution is Bad, Racism is Bad, Sexism is Hoo Check Out The Legs on That One.

(The last is a significant blind spot of all installments, which you can mostly attribute to the culture surrounding TV and movie production, marketing and consumption from the 60s to the present day. :/ )

Actually, that can be chalked up to the difference between 2nd and 3rd wave feminism. Those outfits? The miniskirt in particular? Those things were considered EMPOWERING, and the symbolic uniform of the liberated woman. There was this little thing going on called the Sexual Revolution, and it was all about women breaking free from the chains of prudish, controlling conservative moral standards. In those days, hemlines might as well have been battle lines, with the old guard fighting for modest garments and the progressive feminists fighting for their freedom to flaunt their womanhood and own their sexuality. "I Am Woman, Hear Me ROAR!" was the anthem. Nudism was a radical progressive ideal. Sexual freedom, including the right and ability to choose casual sex and to avoid marriage and motherhood and the role of homemaker and to pursue a career, those things were goals the feminist movement saw as strategic victory conditions.

Somewhere along the line, the train jumped the rails and the feminist movement embraced a level of sexual prudishness that would make Pat Robertson and his Moral Majority church brigade praise their lord for their victory. Where it all went wrong I still don't quite know, but I hope one day the pendulum swings back the other way. We could use another Sexual Revolution, and to guard it better next time. Puritanism belongs in the dustbin of history.

I think the 'feminist movement' are fine with mini-skirts, as long as it is the woman's choice to wear it, and not mandated by man's preference to see women as only sexual objects.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The feminist movement is about abolishing sexism and arbitrary gender barriers and reinforcing self-determination in all people (not only women). Anything else is not inherently feminist.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Short and sweet answer, I liked it. A little space, a little ground. I had no problem playing it 5 times, once per toon so far and I dont see a problem doing it again 10 more times. As long as you don't throw in 2 rewards in one week like you did with the Survivor mission.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I just wish it was more even. We should be able to see more shirtless men with muscles. ;) Unfortunally we are always going to have the "we are appealing to the male 18-30" demographic when it comes to Star trek or any other franchise.

In many cases though, it's not so much 18-30, people who may have seen a female body in real life, but more like 12-14...

yep... granted it seems, many people have trouble with the idea of male sexuality advancing beyond hormone addled teenager.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    First off, whoever has been creating your ground maps for the past few missions is not being paid enough. Again they knocked it out of the park. Completely immersive and taking damage from just breathing and walking through the puddles was a nice touch.
    However, the defense minister being the bad guy was a bit predictable and all those people on the moon being killed should have envoked some kind of response especially from our Lukari friend.
    Overall enjoyable, but I'm left wondering if restoring the moon restored the crystals as well.
    I had a funny glitch happen though.
    I activated "sensor analysis" just before the battle ended. So when we beamed over to talk, I still had the sensor arrow attached to me pointing up at the enemy ship.
    When I rerun it I'll try to replicate and screen shot it.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,388 Arc User
    I just wish it was more even. We should be able to see more shirtless men with muscles. ;)
    Need more awesome bara, like this guy:
    Zelda-BreathOfTheWild-Kass.jpg
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    As much as I enjoyed the episode, I feel like it might have worked a bit better as two separate episodes. In particular, the loss of the New Kentar moon might have had a bit more impact if that's where the episode had ended. It might have helped with some of the episode's other pacing issues as well, like the defense minister's "sudden yet inevitable" betrayal. Having him stew a bit between now and when the next FE came out might have made his betrayal feel a little less "sudden".

Otherwise though, like everyone else, I was very impressed with the work put into making New Kentar one gorgeous cesspool. :p The cutscenes continue to get better and better, as well. And I loved Kuumaarke's "I am far from defenseless, Kentari!" line during the ground fight on the New Kentar moon. Her VA's delivery continues to remain impeccable.

As for the "controversial" themes of this episode, while I also kind of felt like things could have been handled with a tad more subtlety, I guess I'm of the opinion that sometimes Some Anvils Need to be Dropped. Unfortunately, with the how divided people are these days over such issues, the people that might have agreed with the themes of this episode probably didn't really need to be preached at, and the people who might take issue with said themes will likely just continue to dig their heels in.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Uh no just no. Feminism is about establishing the matriarchy. There are no gender barriers these days and sexism is largely constructed to claim victimhood. How does this relate to the OP by the way?
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The feminist movement is about abolishing sexism and arbitrary gender barriers and reinforcing self-determination in all people (not only women). Anything else is not inherently feminist.

• ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Uh no just no. Feminism is about establishing the matriarchy. There are no gender barriers these days and sexism is largely constructed to claim victimhood. How does this relate to the OP by the way?
    angrytarg wrote: »

I'm gonna stop you right there. Why don't we stay on topic and talk about the episode?
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Good for the most part, but the ending was 'meh' the moon died then was resurrected ... no one seemed to care about the people who died on said moon.

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I think Kuumaarke is hanging out with us (the PC captain) too much lately; she's getting downright quick on the trigger. Though to be fair to diplomacy, being shot at on the way to negotiations would leave anyone testy.

Felt a tad heavy-handed on the pollution. Interesting it's more angry than regretful past mistakes aren't lived up to, which was an interesting direction to take it. Protomatter fix went fast both directions for the Tzenkethi somehow landing a bomb and setting it off much faster than previous attempts (that's worrying).

I'm glad the issues aren't all neatly resolved; but a dialog has been opened.

Nice mix of space/ground and the maps are really well put-together and pretty, again.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I think Kuumaarke is hanging out with us (the PC captain) too much lately; she's getting downright quick on the trigger. Though to be fair to diplomacy, being shot at on the way to negotiations would leave anyone testy.

Felt a tad heavy-handed on the pollution. Interesting it's more angry than regretful past mistakes aren't lived up to, which was an interesting direction to take it. Protomatter fix went fast both directions for the Tzenkethi somehow landing a bomb and setting it off much faster than previous attempts (that's worrying).

I'm glad the issues aren't all neatly resolved; but a dialog has been opened.

Nice mix of space/ground and the maps are really well put-together and pretty, again.
    Yeah, realistically I'd probably walk in the door guns drawn ready to shoot anyone who looked liked they were about to try something funny.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    IMO, This was one of the best renditions of the Trek ethos in recent memory, and I have enjoyed pretty much everything released under Mr. Ricossa's leadership! If this is the new standard, then the game has still a long future ahead of it (but seriously, dev's, put at least some effort into fixing the stuff you broke over the last couple of years!?). I'm really getting tired of mining without a visible mining laser... :-/
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    for me it didn't clicked. i find this episode to be shallow...
    first of all, why does the prime minister has a romulan senate robe?
    second, the idea of killing all the life on a planet and then resurrect all of it again in just two seconds sounds more like star wars than star trek. how does it works? you can resurrect all the plants but not the animals and bacterials? if you can do that for them as well, why not for people too?

now i have to say soething good about it right?
    well, i like the city - very cyberpunk imo, which is always nice for me.
    i love the idea of consoles with additional lore. and i like it mostly 'cuz is optional. you dont need to go through endless conversations if you are not into that, and you can spend your time on them if you are more a roleplaying player. i really hope to se more of them in the future. maybe you can add some lore on the buildings or something more hidden.

ps: i like to collect accolades points and i noticed that lately the new content(especially this episode) came with less and less or even none accolades (or maybe is just my lack of imagination :) ), i hope you guys won drop the accolade system.
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    akpa wrote: »
    second, the idea of killing all the life on a planet and then resurrect all of it again in just two seconds sounds more like star wars than star trek. how does it works? you can resurrect all the plants but not the animals and bacterials? if you can do that for them as well, why not for people too?

i love the idea of consoles with additional lore. and i like it mostly 'cuz is optional. you dont need to go through endless conversations if you are not into that, and you can spend your time on them if you are more a roleplaying player. i really hope to se more of them in the future. maybe you can add some lore on the buildings or something more hidden.

ps: i like to collect accolades points and i noticed that lately the new content(especially this episode) came with less and less or even none accolades (or maybe is just my lack of imagination :) ), i hope you guys won drop the accolade system.

Afaik there are 3 accolades in this new mission. I find that adequate.

(For reading the news, wandering the city and defending Kuumarke.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Genesis device CAN resurrect people, as in the movies where it happens to Spock. But it required vulcan telepathic hijinks to restore his mind. So theoretically, they could've resurrected the bodies of the people on the moon, but they wouldn't have been the same people since their minds weren't saved.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Genesis device CAN resurrect people, as in the movies where it happens to Spock. But it required vulcan telepathic hijinks to restore his mind. So theoretically, they could've resurrected the bodies of the people on the moon, but they wouldn't have been the same people since their minds weren't saved.

The Genesis device would destroy everything on the planet in favor of its new matrix. Thats why Kruge saw it as a weapon. Spock was ressurected only because he arrived on Genesis after the planet was already formed and in a state of flux.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Also, in the ep, Kuumaarke doesn't use it to revive people, all she really uses it for is to replant crops.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

d1Bhlgl.jpg
    Exactly. Like Picard said in "Contagion"

"We would appear magical to stoneage people"
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    So...wasn't there a second week award for playing this ? Easy spec points are hard to come by.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    yep; usual spec point/tech upgrade and a nuclear missile launcher (it literally SAYS it's a nuclear missile when you activate THY)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Nuclear missile, because in a age when even antimatter warheada are being slowly phased out
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    If the missile launcher was a heavy weapon I'd play the episode through again. Don't need spec points right now cause I'm at 31 unspent points and can't go higher when I cap off the Admiralty that gets you more spec points or level.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • m311m311 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    There are two problem with this mission.
    #1 No Rebreather
    #2 We can't Replicate Rebreathers.

Suggestion, there was only one mission I've seen that gave Rebreather for free.

#1 After beating this mission or Whats Left Behind allow us to replicate Rebreathers as mission reward.
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_What's_Left_Behind

#2 Kentari should randomly drop rebreathers in this mission. Make Rebreather stackable also make Frequency Remodulator stackable.

As for the Dreadnaught is it suppose to be invincible? Takes forever to die and it summons infinite Frigates. Though I'm not sure if that is how carriers works because I don't own one. But, they are frigs not fighters!
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Dreadnought is 100% killable, though it have bunch of hp. And 2nd to dropping rebreathers.

Or better, be able to:
    1) Replicate your own rebreather because how f*cking hard can it be when replicaror can already make advanced directed energy weapon.

2)those armour visual that have helmets should be able to breathe fine without the thing, maybe as a 3 piece set bonus when you unlock the armour visual: sealed helmet.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful