Options

Over powered players

124»

Comments

• Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    kingdom for multiquote >.>
    trejgon wrote: »

welp in defense of it's original statement with currect difficulty of elite ques adn powercreep goign quite well for quite a time it is quite possibel for exceptional player to clear everything fast enougth for others to simply not be able to contribute anything because of inability to even keep up with his movements

at this point OP had my sympathy although his later behaviour in this thread took it away I'm afraid.....

I disagree still. This is the same as those guys in space getting AFK... Because they were doing nothing. How can you do Elite content anywhere and do so little?

Even in Space where the Power Creep is super-strong, in the silliness of CCA where it can be beaten in seconds, how do people get AFK in there? By doing nothing. I can even rush into there and get 1 attack cycle in before the Entity is dead and I never get the penalty.

Ground Queued Content is not like that. It takes a while still and it's not like space where some BFAW-Cruiser using Evasive Manevuers to zip ahead and destroying everything in the area in seconds. Ground isn't like that.

welp as for CCA example I know people and know how to make a build to wreck CCA before most of the team even properly loads into a game

ground is little bit different, in many cases indeed less gear sensitive, for for BotSE scenario is isn't really hard to think of a build that would be able to kill off all spawns on sight fast enought to not give a time for the slowest one in a team to get any damage done - in such case it would be situation like - I rush in, kill 90% of enemies and the two guys that manage to get right behind me into room clears the rest

so as long as the other two are not rushing for dps in a mission where killing everything is not top-priority.
    and the only way I see in this specific scenario for that last guy to ensure he got that 1% would be the very same action that many people would consider pure trolling on the match and only if me and those 2 next to me in speed would allow it [by not suceeding at first console shutdown attempt per room

also while 1% may seem really low, let us not forget that it is "%" so if there is enought people with overpimped gear in a que, your average elite joe with 20k dps [is it proper scale for ground? never parsed ground runs and on ships it seems like minimal dps capability for most of elites] may find himself in a situation where that's already below 1% damage done

and while maybe it is not very real scenario yet with system setup the way it is and with progressing powercreep it will happen at some point

oh and btw one thing I've just realised that may be contributing to the issue here
    I'm not sure when you were being introduced to ground elites but I've noticed for quite some time most of people telling everyone that you don't need any gear for ground elites because they are so simple - and since for those people it's obvious that this sentence mean no optimised gear and still requires some minimal level some newer players will not get it this way - and tbh when I was starting with ground elites over year ago I was literally told that all I need is "some mk12 and TR rifle"
    trejgon wrote: »
    heck I think I could easilyy pull such thing off if I really wanted but this sort of overoptimisations goes into no-fun zone and I prefer personally to stay in the fun zone :P

I've heard of this, that people intentionally cripple themselves in order to "have fun". I can only explain this as a form of RP, but I may be missing something. Is it RP to you when you do this, when you intentionally play badly in order to "stay in the fun zone", or are you doing it for some other reason? If it is not RP, could you explain what it is?

it's different approach - I do not "cripple myself" nor "intentionally play badly" I just build my ships with main purpose to be in some way fun to fly [with different ways to achieve so depending on a ship] with just minimal thought to keep it somewhat competitive to nto be dead weight on PvE runs I'll participate at - and all those meta builds for maximally optimised DPS by just a mere look over them are plainly... boring

similary on the ground - I often tend to pickup a gun that looks better or feels better when used and that often leads to situations where I'm running with suboptimal weaponry - and currentl;y my main characters kit module set is chosen more for lulz than actually top-notch performance as well

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    for doing 25K to provoke a ban, everyone else would have to be doing over 2.5 MILLION DPS​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    for doing 25K to provoke a ban, everyone else would have to be doing over 2.5 MILLION DPS​​

I dunno. If the others in your team are doing >400K, then you might indeed get an AFK penalty (not a ban). The beauty of the system, however, is, that if the rest were really all doing >400K, you will -- to your own surprise, perhaps -- suddenly have done more than 100K too. :) That is how group DPS works: if everything gets killed superfast (and not even necessarily by you), you will greatly benefit from the short duration too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    It's highly unlikely you'll get everyone in the team get that high though given the limited HP mobs have. Just having 2 100k players in a team can have the average damage output if those 100k'ers lowered.
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    The game is for everyone only afk'er should not be allowed. I play elite and have not gotten the afk penalty. If you are with an OP player just go in another direction or overtake the op player when she is shooting to get to the next objective. Most of the time when playing elite with OP players i get last place but if the team is bad i can get 1st place. I actually like OP players then i can see whether i am killing them fast enough. The only skill i would not upgrade is invunerablity, it's no fun if you cannot die once in a while.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    If you arent geared dont enter elite simple.
    How does the new player know he's not geared for Elite, if the game never tells him?

One knows this by getting one's *ss kicked! :) At that point, a normal person will realize he/she is not good enough (yet?) for the difficulty level they're playing on. Others, like the OP, whose egos cannot stomach the fact that they suck, will start to blame others.
    Except that doesn't happen because they're in a team with 4 other players who can carry the sucky one. :) The game does not tell them that they suck and are just along for the ride. If they get an AFK penalty for it, the game STILL doesn't tell them it's because they sucked. A normal person will think "away from keyboard" means "not playing" and assume it must be an error.

And when they at some point end up in a team that can't carry them, they will think there must be something wrong with the game because they've won the same mission many times before with no problems (that they know of).
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Except that doesn't happen because they're in a team with 4 other players who can carry the sucky one. :) The game does not tell them that they suck and are just along for the ride. If they get an AFK penalty for it, the game STILL doesn't tell them it's because they sucked. A normal person will think "away from keyboard" means "not playing" and assume it must be an error.

And when they at some point end up in a team that can't carry them, they will think there must be something wrong with the game because they've won the same mission many times before with no problems (that they know of).

That is an idea to ask the Devs for. A use for the holodecks. Go in and select advanced or elite. Space or ground. Then it gives you one minute fighting an appropriate leveled opponent(s). I would say borg. After a minute it gives you your DPS for the run.
    X equals can contribute to that level queue. Y is your DPS if Y is equal or greater than X you have sufficient output to join said Queue.
    The simulator gives no real rewards. Maybe a temporary title of 'Advanced Certified, Space' or the like. That way people can test builds and all be using the same type of parser so know what they are and how they stack up.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    theussvoyagertheussvoyager Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    OP, next time I wouldn't make your forum thread topic "Over powered players" cause you're just going to get 4 pages of people complaining to you when you're just upset over the AFK penalty. Probably what happened was that you got a false positive.
    JJ Connie > TOS Connie
    Lag denied your Heal
    What happened to my Halon consoles
    Poni?
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    If you arent geared dont enter elite simple.
    How does the new player know he's not geared for Elite, if the game never tells him?

One knows this by getting one's *ss kicked! :) At that point, a normal person will realize he/she is not good enough (yet?) for the difficulty level they're playing on. Others, like the OP, whose egos cannot stomach the fact that they suck, will start to blame others.

You have a point there.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    There's nothing wrong with with MACO gear though. As with all gear, you just need to make it work.