What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crytpic let's be fair.

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    Sure, farmallm wanted a billion EC's, so what? Take a look on the exchange, it's full of heavily over priced items.

That's why I never use it if I can help it. It's like looking a menu at my local Chines restaurant. Both give me a money attack.Mx4Vj8T.png​​

You and me both. Back when I started playing, the Exchange was a good resource to use, with lots of deals to be found.

Now, it's "Scalper Central". I avoid it if I can help it.

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Lowest going rate of an item is the value of that item. Anything else is profit or price-gouging. In the US, this is an actual federal level crime if you price anything at more than 40% of the price you paid/ or the going rate, whichever is greater.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I know of NO legit buisness that make 40% profit after ALL costs are covered. We ain't looking at just raw materials here folks. A restaurant will generally run 25-33% good cost...but that is JUST the cost of the materials. That is not the entire cost. After all is said and done, most restaurants run on less than 5% margins. Barring some serious shady buisness...yeah you ain't seeing 40% profit. That isn't to say you can't do that...banks do it all the time...despite ONLY charging you 3% interest to circumvent usury laws...like I said, you can't do it unless you do some shady buisness...like banks. But that is a matter for another time maybe.
    cold, if you read the above quote it's referring to single items. Any retail store regularly carries items that are above 40% mark up. Clothing and books are virtually always 75% marked up. Silly small items like usb cables, hdmi cables are way above 50% and some are all the way up to 90% profit of the retail price. Meaning a $50 cable has a cost of $5. This happens literally EVERYWHERE in the US except for Costco. I can't actually confirm Costco from personal experience but all their marketing claims to hold their single item gross profits to 15% or less.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    Okay all these side laws apart...farm did try to hide a 5 dollar ship to try and trade for a 1000 dollar ship (yes yes millions of EC, not dollars) by claiming it to be a 1000 dollar ship. There is no if and or but about it...that was fraud right there.
    Nope. Farm told you exactly what the ship was (and incidentally, the T6 Connie's not a "thousand dollar ship", either - current scheme seems to make it purchasable for - indirectly - a couple hundred), and then tried to set a ludicrously high price for it in EC, apparently believing Hartz' contention that sellers always set the price. (In fact, buyers set the price - there are currently more people willing to pay 950 million EC for a T6 TOS ship than there are T6 TOS ships. Should the buyers stop paying that price for the boxes, the sellers will have to come down in price or fail to sell.)

Some of y'all went all silly about that, is all.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    nLpsGR2.png
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Lowest going rate of an item is the value of that item. Anything else is profit or price-gouging. In the US, this is an actual federal level crime if you price anything at more than 40% of the price you paid/ or the going rate, whichever is greater.
    I know of NO legit buisness that make 40% profit after ALL costs are covered. We ain't looking at just raw materials here folks. A restaurant will generally run 25-33% good cost...but that is JUST the cost of the materials. That is not the entire cost. After all is said and done, most restaurants run on less than 5% margins. Barring some serious shady buisness...yeah you ain't seeing 40% profit. That isn't to say you can't do that...banks do it all the time...despite ONLY charging you 3% interest to circumvent usury laws...like I said, you can't do it unless you do some shady buisness...like banks. But that is a matter for another time maybe.
    cold, if you read the above quote it's referring to single items. Any retail store regularly carries items that are above 40% mark up. Clothing and books are virtually always 75% marked up. Silly small items like usb cables, hdmi cables are way above 50% and some are all the way up to 90% profit of the retail price. Meaning a $50 cable has a cost of $5. This happens literally EVERYWHERE in the US except for Costco.

You are not looking at the entire cost. The cost of an item in the store is more then what they paid for the physical item. Even in retail stores. There is overhead...like rent and utilities. Wages to pay. Shipping to get the item over there. Taxes. equpiment to store the items. ALL of that goes into what it costs for a store to carry that item. After all that, I can promise you that no, nobody makes 40% unless they are doing something shady...like the banks or pharma who holds your home and life in their hands.
    I am fully aware labor and overhead. But as I stated the original quote is dealing with simple gross profit mark ups.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    "50th Anniversary limited time promo"

This could be it for supply.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    I will say that I would love to get my hands o. The TOS T6 D7 for my KDF faction toon. The odds, not so good, as I only have 1/4 of the EC that people are wanting. :(

At least I have the Connie though :)
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »
    Lets make it fair, remove the F2P model and make everyone pay.

I actually agree with this. I think going F2P was the worst decision ever, but no doubt the F2P junkies will defend it to their last breath.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »
    Lets make it fair, remove the F2P model and make everyone pay.

I actually agree with this. I think going F2P was the worst decision ever, but no doubt the F2P junkies will defend it to their last breath.

It's a standard business model for games that have been active for roughly 2+ years. The major player (paying customer) base starts to errode after the first year, and supporting an online game can get expensive. In order to improve the player base, they offer the game for free and then milk them for every little virtual item they can think of. It never seems like much, but when added up, it allows for the employment of those who maintain the status quo in hardware and update the game to provide greater returns to the company.

Like drug dealer, they offer a person just enough to become addicted, and then charge them to maintain the habbit. Not quite the right example, but close enough. They charge for all the 'Shiney-Pretty' things they offer - but the average player doesn't find out about any of that until they've been pulled in by the Free-2-Play offer.

It's a Gimmick.
    It works.
    It's also the only reason STO is still running. Sure, they had a small dedicated fan base, but earlier online games have proven that no matter how enjoyable or popular the game, you have to have a continual turn-over on your player base or else it will slowly decline to the point the game is no longer viable as a business service and they'd do better with a different game, closing the doors on STO forever. This may yet happen, but for now, they've managed that subtle balance that keeps just enough money coming in - yes, mainly from F2P players who eventually become long-term members - to keep the game changing just enough to keep new players interested for a time.
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I'm not defending F2P. Simply stating how it works and why Cryptic went that path.

Which is better?

4 years playing a game with a paid-member only player base, who eventually leave to play something else and then discontinuing it?

or

10+ years of playing a game with a constant turn-over of new players, who's wallets help to keep it running?

It's not a complicated equation.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    In two short days it's the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek's first episode airing.

And I was briefly an EC Billionaire, but am now just back to being roughly a 100millionaire, but have myself the T6 TOS Constitution to help me celebrate Star Trek, the Original Series, and everything I pretty much love about what happened 50 years ago.

I sincerely hope Cryptic give out a really cool thing to everyone to enhance this celebration (like a free T5 version of the Light Cruiser we all saw debut 50 years ago).

Hope you all enjoy the 50th as much as I plan to!

:smiley:

Happy anniversary Star Trek!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, as a dev I'd want to keep the game going even if that meant increasing the speed of churn...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg