test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kelvin Timeline

Comments

• breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    questerius wrote: »
    It's the end of the world as we know it..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

I'm torn between responding with...
    So, this is what it's like when worlds collide...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsV500W4BHU
    ...and...
    What if all these fantasies come flailing around?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-UzXIQ5vw
    ...or maybe...
    Where do I go when I've gone too far?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfHPbxawzUI

(Not that I'm opposed to the addition, since I like playable content, just playing along. We should also be getting arcing red phasers to play with... which seems entertaining.)
    Post edited by breadandcircuses on
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I'm okay with it but if its not going to include those cool looking klingon ships especially like the ones from into darkness then I will be angry... very angry like shove you out air lock angry pull you back in and then kick you back out into space angry.

Trust me on this because all you will hear is? Kurland here.
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Are we getting the Console - Universal - Lens Flare Projector?
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    Appalled.

Seriously, there goes the neighborhood.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »
    mrw
    i_hate_this_star_trek_tng.gif

This is the single-most appropriate reaction gif that describes the majority of the STO players I see on the forums. No other gif will ever come close to that level of accuracy.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • groundhogmokagroundhogmoka Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    I for one CANNOT wait to play this episode. I'm one of the very few Star Trek fans who actually enjoyed Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness. (Yes I am calling them by their proper names). I have seen ALL 6 original motion pictures with the original crew and I would argue that those are indeed better. I have also seen ALL the TNG motion pictures. Most if not all of TNG, all of DS9, all of Voyager, most of Enterprise and quite a bit of TOS. Heck I even caught an episode or two of Andromeda. Needless to say I enjoy Star Trek in any format. I'm even willing to give the All Access series a shot just as long as it is good.
  • dogmaticusdogmaticus Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    STO once again tries to tie together all the universes and realities known from the movies and TV Series. And I'm pretty confident they will do it in a brilliant way.

I'm waiting for the expansion release in July more than I ever waited for Christmas in my life :smile: .

TOS and JJ Trek ship designs are the ones I love the most (with the exception of the USS Vengeance). Also - despite some flaws of Into Darkness, the reboot does a really neat job in bringing ST franchise to life, and introducing it to new audience (and through that getting many of them interested in the classic Trek for the first time). To see it all tied together for the first time will be just amazing!

The only "problem" I have with it all is the fact, that it's called an "alternate" reality rather than a "parallel" one. Until now I was pretty sure that the reboot timeline "pitchforked" from the preTOS (postENT) reality after Nero's attack on USS Kelvin. If that is so, then it's a parallel reality. If however this reality somehow existed without any real connection to the prime timeline we know from the TV Series and classic movies, then it would be an alternate reality.

Would love to see some clarification on this (yeah... I like theoretical physics... and Star Trek... and I'm an RPer :smiley: ).
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    My first mission in the Kelvin universe would probably be to beam aboard the Enterprise during "Into Darkness", marry the platinum blonde redshirt bridge officer (who doesn't die), and create the pitter patter of lots of little paradoxes. :D<3
    My first mission in the Kelvin universe would probably be to beam aboard the Enterprise during "Into Darkness", marry the platinum blonde redshirt bridge officer (who doesn't die), and create the pitter patter of lots of little paradoxes. :D<3

I'm fine with that... I'm into dr. Marcus. Unfortunately Kirk might have something to sasy ;).
    robeasom wrote: »
    OMG no this is the worst idea you have ever had Cryptic. I think the time to leave has finally come, the removal of content for less content is one thing but the JJverse is terrible and this game should be seperate from it.

Farewell then, captain. Godspeed. :)

I'm actually pretty sure that it will be incorporated in a compelling way, and will only increase the fun we have, and make the game more diverse.
  • odoetalodoetal Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    if they are going to rossmatch the timelines for the love of tribbles PLEASE make Science Officer 0718 a crystaline reward startrek.com/article/star-treks-cybernetically-augmented-science-officer-joseph-gatt-part-1
    it would be the closest wecould get to a ''data' tactical bridge officer (or intrestingly make he ''data'' officer a universal as the intel pilot have shown you should be able to do @LaughingTrendy
  • yanayugi#3666 yanayugi Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I don't know how anyone could be against this if the mission involves us destroying these ships. Remember they have terrible shielding. :)
  • yanayugi#3666 yanayugi Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    kelettes wrote: »
    hauriant wrote: »
    Also, since its safe to say now that we'll get 0718 in the game, I even more want to get Brent Spiner in. Not only to have a stand alone Data mission, but to have one with him, 0718, and the Doctor. Maybe have them deal with the Automated Personnel Units, or the STO timeline's version of the alien force that made 0718, or some other appropriate thing.

Just thought about three artificial (or partially artificial) characters being in one mission together, and in my head I heard all 3 of them say things like:

"Why not ask about Enterprise's safety protocols?"

"Running causes accidents"

"You're carrying some very dangerous items"

"I'm just trying to help"

"I'm going to catch you"

I now have the urge to crawl to a locker, lock myself inside, and cry ...

Okay, I just had to react to that one XD

txpLIc0.jpg

I've played many horror games, and watched many more horror movies, but nothing has made me experience terror like Alien: Isolation. That game actually gave me nightmares. I got the idea for a forum sig some time ago using those characters (minus the JJ character, was picturing 7 of 9 originally) saying lines like that while walking towards the "camera", with drool dropping down from overhead, set either on DS9 or Ent-E. I'm no artist though so I'm not able to do it justice.

Anyways, I'm excited about the JJ news, especially if we can get those uniforms for our TOS toons.

Alien: Isolation was the first game I never finished. All the jumpscares were seriously **** with my anxiety. I couldn't go 2 levels without having shakey hands for hours after. Which, honestly, makes it a pretty awesome game for what it was made for.​​

Try playing it with some inappropriate music playing in the background. That should lighten the mood a bit.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I'm going to be blunt: I think this is stupid.

I hope I can keep playing the game while trying to avoid the alternate timeline. Might play it once to learn what it's all about, but please do not force this upon those of us who want to have nothing to do with the new JJ movies. Thank you.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Then again, with all the explosions and action and war-centric storylines I guess it doesn't matter that much anyway... STO was already much like the JJ timeline.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    I'm going to be blunt: I think this is stupid.

I hope I can keep playing the game while trying to avoid the alternate timeline. Might play it once to learn what it's all about, but please do not force this upon those of us who want to have nothing to do with the new JJ movies. Thank you.

It's an interesting point I hadn't considered. If the mission is to repair the rift between JJ-universe and the real universe then it really would be the best mission in game to date.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    dogmaticus wrote: »
    OMG no this is the worst idea you have ever had Cryptic. I think the time to leave has finally come, the removal of content for less content is one thing but the JJverse is terrible and this game should be seperate from it.

I'm actually pretty sure that it will be incorporated in a compelling way, and will only increase the fun we have, and make the game more diverse.

Sure, if by "compelling" you mean "predictable". It's no secret that STO doesn't exactly have the most clever of writers. While I loathe the JJ movies, if adding such content brings more players to the game, that's a good thing, but I have very low expectations in terms of what the content is going to add beyond the painfully obvious cash-grab.

I do enjoy the game, but good heavens, they need to hire some more talented people to write plot for them.
    1xe027q.png
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    odoetal wrote: »
    if they are going to rossmatch the timelines for the love of tribbles PLEASE make Science Officer 0718 a crystaline reward startrek.com/article/star-treks-cybernetically-augmented-science-officer-joseph-gatt-part-1
    it would be the closest wecould get to a ''data' tactical bridge officer (or intrestingly make he ''data'' officer a universal as the intel pilot have shown you should be able to do @LaughingTrendy

NO! NO! NO! I want this bridge officer instead: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Jodi_Johnston

B):D<3;)
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    So when they release a JJprize ship for everyone to fly around in, will it be just as durable as the movie one in that it gets blown all to heck and back every mission you run? Oh and have a cooldown where it can't leave the Sol system for around 50% of play time like in the movie?

Seriously the new Star Trek movies are to star ships like modern manufacturers are to cars in RL. They just don't make em like they used to.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    odoetal wrote: »

NO! NO! NO! I want this bridge officer instead: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Jodi_Johnston

B):D<3;)

I already went in the tailor and saved a close approximation of her for my TOS toon's communications officer :).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    mhall85 wrote: »
    rtk142 wrote: »
    But the new Trek series is sounding more and more like it's going to be set in the main universe, so we kind of want tie-ins.

No, it's not.

We know nothing about the new series. You're only accepting rumor and speculation as fact.

Shoot, Mike Hinnman over at 1701News wrote a story about a large contingent at CBS that want the Primeverse "closed for business."

It's anyone's guess, at this point.

They better NOT shut down references to the Prime universe. I don't mind the movies and I don't much care if we have the ability to cross over into the JJ-verse in TOS. But I don't want them retconning almost everything that ever happened in TOS into the JJ-verse and essentially throwing out years of Trek episodes from every series.

They can do that after all of us original Trek fans are dead and buried.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
    dogmaticus wrote: »

Sure, if by "compelling" you mean "predictable". It's no secret that STO doesn't exactly have the most clever of writers. While I loathe the JJ movies, if adding such content brings more players to the game, that's a good thing, but I have very low expectations in terms of what the content is going to add beyond the painfully obvious cash-grab.

I do enjoy the game, but good heavens, they need to hire some more talented people to write plot for them.

You do have a point. There have been many interesting missions, but unfortunately there are Foundry missions, that are way more interesting. I've never played Cryptic mission that would top "Spirits of Ramok Nor" foundry mission narration.

Just today I wrote on twitter, that it would be great if Cryptic (or PWE, or whoever does that ;) ) hired Christie Golden to write some plots and missions. That would actually work great if they had a good book author write the story.

For me the game's missions are a certain background anyway. My captains, their crews and ships, and their stories are what drives me in STO. Well that, and the general feeling of Star Trek.

I do miss more exploration-oriented content, and missions that have less explosions and fighting though. There's been too much of that recently. I actually hoped that once we leave the Iconian plot behind - we'll get some more "peaceful" content.
    dmt wrote: »

A wonderful find, thank you! (And I agree, C. Bennett should be required reading for anybody trying to make sense of time travel in Star Trek.)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    It's the end of the world as we know it..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

I'm torn between responding with...
    So, this is what it's like when worlds collide...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsV500W4BHU
    ...and...
    What if all these fantasies come flailing around?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-UzXIQ5vw
    ...or maybe...
    Where do I go when I've gone too far?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfHPbxawzUI

(Not that I'm opposed to the addition, since I like playable content, just playing along. We should also be getting arcing red phasers to play with... which seems entertaining.)
    What about:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jahnkjahnk Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Burp
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I'm down with this. We already acknowledge the Hobus supernova and red matter, which started with JJ-trek. I've also done a minor JJ-verse crossover with my Captains in ULC20 and a JJ-movie making parody in ULC08. :p
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    They can do that after all of us original Trek fans are dead and buried.

Financially speaking, "all of us original Trek fans" have already been dead and buried for the people to whom Star Trek is a source of livelihood for about 10 years.

So, do we need to start a "Save Vulcan!" meme in STO?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    My 2 cents here: JJ UNIVERSE IS POLEMIC. Many love it. Many hate it. Adding something like that to STO is scaring away the many who hate it. And the last time I checked, no business consider a move that scares away potential consumers as a smart movie.

Again, many CAN'T STAND ST:Voyager; yet it too got a full themed expansion. The JJ Verse isn't getting a full expansion. It's getting a mission or two and a couple of ships. The primary focus of this coming Expansion is the Prime Universe TOS era.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    More likely a "Save Your Money" meme, by the look of many of the posts in this thread.
    <chuckle>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif