test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Really disappointed by the Next release. Cryptic could have done a lot better

Besides the extreme amount of annoying bugs, some of which have been around since beta now we have yet another content pack that is less exciting that watching paint dry.

I get that the bulk of the players may like the idea, but an add on that I have to switch factions for, create a new toon for, no thank you.

We could have had a fix all your bugs release, added content for the foundry, maybe some more ships, or the proposed ship designer that never made it out of alpha, or how about expanded end game content to break the monotony.

I understand Cryptic needs to pay the bills, but this thing isnt for me. I'd rather pay for newer playable races, expanded factions, end game content, a button to disable NPCS talking in raids, weaponized tribbles, just to name a few.

I'm sure many will like it, but for me, its disappointing as usual.
Even the most mindless of Ttglas are dangerous in large numbers

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    How can you be disappointed with the next release? Time travel?

The faulty premise of your posting aside, what's that "I have to switch factions"? This game is free to play and everyone is free to play each faction. You do not buy into a faction and stay there. If you only want to play one faction that's your choice but people always act like playing a faction in a game is somehow something genetically predetermined and they are locked out of things that happen to one faction.

Only valid point you can bring up is that you don't like TOS and you don't think a TOS themed content pack will be your thing and that's fine. It's free, you can still take a look at it and simply not buy anything for it. You can also say you are worried about the changes the game gets to be console compatible, I am as well. But you can't be disappointed with future releases at this point.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    We could have had a fix all your bugs release, added content for the foundry, maybe some more ships, or the proposed ship designer that never made it out of alpha, or how about expanded end game content to break the monotony.

Of those five suggestions two of them are coming with the new expansion: Some more ships and expanded end game content.

The other three suggestions would not make cryptic money. Nor would they really be suitable for an "expansion" in terms of rolling them out. Bug fixes happen when they happen and the development team are continually working on bug fixes. There's no real way to tie that into an expansion release as you suggest. Added content for the foundry is something that would not be monetized and would not be part of an expansion. The only thing that could conceivably be part of an expansion is the ship designer, however new ships are this game's bread and butter in terms of generating profit, so it's unlikely they are going to rock the boat and mess with that formula.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tyrionjkirktyrionjkirk Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    I personally feel this is an amazing Expansion concept. Growing up as a little child in the 80's my favorite show would have been Star Trek TOS on Saturdays at noon. The CBC network which broadcasted the show only had half the episodes from the series so I would see a lot of the same episodes over and over again. But I would never get board of them and watched each Saturday as if it was the first time I've seen that particular episode. So this concept brings a warm feeling to my heart. But I understand that someone that does not like TOS would not be as interested. But this is STO and you can do as much or as little content as you want. So I do not see the problem.

As a final thought, time will tell if the execution of this concept will pay off which I am really hoping it will. I logged into tribble once I heard that the testing has begun for the expansion. I created a character and started the tutorial but my goal was not to spoil the story so soon. I just wanted to see the beginning. Light *Spoiler* if you read a head but you start on the bridge of your first ship. The feeling I got just being on the TOS bridge again. I just picked a chair and sat my character down and enjoyed the sounds of the TOS bridge. It felt like home again and I was that little child watching Star Trek on Saturday mornings. I never started the mission as I want to be surprised when it is released. So far so good Cryptic I am setting the bar really high now for this expansion lets hope you did a good job.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Besides the extreme amount of annoying bugs, some of which have been around since beta now we have yet another content pack that is less exciting that watching paint dry.

I get that the bulk of the players may like the idea, but an add on that I have to switch factions for, create a new toon for, no thank you.

I understand Cryptic needs to pay the bills, but this thing isnt for me. I'd rather pay for newer playable races, expanded factions, end game content, a button to disable NPCS talking in raids, weaponized tribbles, just to name a few.

Guess what, while all of what you listed is nice and all, it really doesn't make Cryptic any money. See this is a major stumbling point for many players with gripes about the game.

All you see is your PoV and you don't look at it from a business perspective.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    talonxv wrote: »
    (...)

To be fair, players don't have to do that. It's not their business, it's their entertainment and players should first and foremost think about what they'd like to be entertained by. Cryptic, as the business owner, than can think about wether or not it's profitable to do so, but as a player making suggestions you never should cripple your own "dreams" because you think "wait, would that make them money?".

Or to be bland, it's not our job to think about what would make Cryptic money.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    (...)

To be fair, players don't have to do that. It's not their business, it's their entertainment and players should first and foremost think about what they'd like to be entertained by. Cryptic, as the business owner, than can think about wether or not it's profitable to do so, but as a player making suggestions you never should cripple your own "dreams" because you think "wait, would that make them money?".

Or to be bland, it's not our job to think about what would make Cryptic money.​​

Which is true, but OTOH most players always bemoan "Why does Cryptic do X?" Makes them money. And to top it off for the OP as I've said numerous times. 50th anniversary of Star Trek being launched and you didn't expect this?

Come on Targ, if you didn't see this coming, head is buried in the sand.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Which is true, but OTOH most players always bemoan "Why does Cryptic do X?" Makes them money. And to top it off for the OP as I've said numerous times. 50th anniversary of Star Trek being launched and you didn't expect this?

That's true, I also don't say the OPs criticism are especially well founded or expressed as I've written myself earlier. I just wanted to point out that it's moot to comment on people's suggestions something like "that wouldn't make them money" - to voice a wish, suggestion, pipedream that is entirely irrelevant for us as players and consumers.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User

In no particular order:

Bug fixes are handled in the weekly patch/maintenance system. Attempting to divert "all" resources to fixing bugs is, as has been pointed out before, not an easy proposition, what's the mission writer going to find in the code, or the environment artists, or the ship designers, etc. etc.
    And I don't think you want to "risk" losing any of these (Especially Taco and ThomasTheCat :) ) by laying them off for 6 months so that you can hire more coders to do bug-fixing.

Foundry Content is "usually" added piecemeal, especially shortly after a new theme comes out and the foundry's reactivated after the expansion. Unless you're thinking about new "missions" in the foundry, which is a "player issue", that's the entire concept behind the foundry.

Did you not see the pack of like 10 ships that were just announced, and the implications that there's another 5 waiting in the wings for these TOS guys as they level? So one of your wishes, new ships, is part of the expansion...

Ship designer? The "closest" we can get is the "swap parts that were designed to fit together" system we have now... otherwise there's going to be another batch of issues (and repeated complaints) about designs "not fitting together right"...

And "expanded game content"? Well, in addition to the entire "storyline" that's being released for the TOS characters that you don't really want to dabble in, there's going to be at least a "featured episode", more likely some sort of "mission arc" that illustrates what the "present characters" - whether Feddie-Fed, KDF, or Rom - are doing while the TOS guys are being "Agents of Yesterday"...

Oh, you spelled out "endgame"? What's your thought of "Endgame" content, thousands of more queues to fracture the playerbase even more? Hundreds of piles of text that we call DOff and Admiralty missions? A complete shredding and reconstruction of the game to "reaccomodate PvP"? (because what little PvP exists in STO is usually derided as a highly unbalanced and unfun type of content except for the owners of the latest OP OHK gear or sadomachoists that think that someyear they'll beat the OP OHK gear...)

On this thought (ie, the "what do you really mean by blank?"):
    What the heck is "expanded factions" anyway?
    Why do you not want to read what the staff / opposition has to say in the STFs?
    There's barely enough space for the combat and noncombat pets we have today, and you want to give us furballs with "lazors on their heads?"

And finally, you're complaining about having to "roll" a new character, of a faction that you may or may not decide is your cup of tea, yet you want them to create "new playable races" that the only way you're gonna be able to use is to "roll" a new character of that race, in whatever faction that race is assigned to?

For the record, There's going to be "TOS Gorn", which may or may not be "radically different enough" from KDF Gorn that they might be considered a new race in the new faction... :P nevermind what may be given to the LTSers as a "replacement" for Liberated Borg...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User

They haven't even announced everything yet, probably. Much less the content isn't anywhere close to a finished state on the test server. And you're already coming here to talk about how much you hate it?

If this thing isn't for you, then feel free to take a break for a while and come back when, or if, they ever release content you're actually happy with.

I'm guessing you're still angry about the ship stats for the T6 Defiant and T6 Bird of Prey ('cause you used a couple of (now censored) curse words and seemed pretty upset about them when the stats were released). Just let it go man.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    50th Anniversary of the Classic Series...

Anybody who expected something different being added to the game is just being silly.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    zapzapboomzapzapboom Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    OP, I sympathize with you. Underwhelmed by the new and improved menu that's really just old content with new skins and names doesn't precisely describe how
    I feel, but it's close.
    Unfortunately for people like you and I that expect a bit more than we are offered, judging by the responses to your post,(nearly all negative and white nights for how great cryptic is, as is) shows you why we won't get what we want. Those peeps make up the majority and open their wallets for anything trek, and love it!
    They'll just maintain the status quo until the trek cow has been milked dry. This game proves you don't have to make a good game that actually works to get people to pay for it. So why would they put more effort than is needed to get what they want?
    Don't get me wrong, there are several things I do love about this game, but not many. If it wasn't trek based, that list would be very small indeed. Sadly they know that.
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    When will peeps learn that QA department is different from Content department...
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Don't participate and/or don't buy anything from it. Much better results come from this in terms of feedback.

Some will like it, some won't. I'm in the 'unsure' column right now...
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I do like the Temporal wars continuation but what I'm NOT fond of is the TOS EXTREME twist into it, the name of the new faction"TOS agent" or the separate platform for the consoles.

Who wants to play with a 50 year OLD idea...the past is past. After all we can play WOW or Rome total wars to see OLDen time. This is SCI FI and should remain keeping with futuristic events. I know TOS is still as futuristic idea. However, that was prior to men going to the moon and not even designing true rocket ships. TOS is for me the worst of Star trek...kinda reminds me of a bad low cost production that almost did not happen. TNG/VOYAGER/DS9 and even ENT were much more solid ideas than the feeling of old lego block ideas of olden time.

It's cool to celebrate the 50th anniversary in 1 or 2 episodes but to make a whole expansion based on it...and to top it to call the new faction "TOS agents" just ridiculous. It would have been better to at least balance between OLD and NEW and rename that faction "Temporal agent".

Regarding the platform it looks like it will give some needed cash to PWE but will be short lived. Eventually, will catch up with all the other bugs and new ones to come. Even more disturbing this will not see the bump in PvE quques or fleet memberships since they would be kept in separate servers. Nowadays, most MMOs trying to consolidate servers into one in order to create better team play. Separating platforms will help only in the very short term.

I'm sure by next year they will re-think a crossplatform or just shut it down due to falling revenues in the long run.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    Why does the DOOOOOM Factor always seem to have to pop up in these kind of discussions.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User

storules wrote: »
    I do like the Temporal wars continuation but what I'm NOT fond of is the TOS EXTREME twist into it, the name of the new faction"TOS agent" or the separate platform for the consoles.

Who wants to play with a 50 year OLD idea...the past is past. After all we can play WOW or Rome total wars to see OLDen time. This is SCI FI and should remain keeping with futuristic events. I know TOS is still as futuristic idea. However, that was prior to men going to the moon and not even designing true rocket ships. TOS is for me the worst of Star trek...kinda reminds me of a bad low cost production that almost did not happen. TNG/VOYAGER/DS9 and even ENT were much more solid ideas than the feeling of old lego block ideas of olden time.

It's cool to celebrate the 50th anniversary in 1 or 2 episodes but to make a whole expansion based on it...and to top it to call the new faction "TOS agents" just ridiculous. It would have been better to at least balance between OLD and NEW and rename that faction "Temporal agent".

Regarding the platform it looks like it will give some needed cash to PWE but will be short lived. Eventually, will catch up with all the other bugs and new ones to come. Even more disturbing this will not see the bump in PvEs or fleet memberships since they would be kept in separate servers. Nowadays, most MMOs trying to consolidate servers into one in order to create better team play. Separating platforms will help only in the very short term.

I'm sure by next year they will re-think a crossplatform or just shut it down due to falling revenues in the long run.​​

You would be surprised. If TOS doesn't happen, there is no TNG, Voyager, ect. TOS may not be your thing, feel free to not play that part of it. There is people out there that will enjoy the content, myself included.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    saedeith wrote: »
    You would be surprised. If TOS doesn't happen, there is no TNG, Voyager, ect. TOS may not be your thing, feel free to not play that part of it. There is people out there that will enjoy the content, myself included.

Don't speak for me and will not for you. If you want to troll up to you. You are entitled to your opinion and I to mine.
    Highly doubt in your hypothesis since SCI FI will always be there no matter who writes it. As you are speaking for people out there who would enjoy TOS...so are there people out there who are truly dissapointed with the emphasis of TOS.​​
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It kinda-sorta seems that the dis-likers are not the majority though.

And most folks are just happy that Cryptic is still adding new stuff to the game.

Really though, you do have to at least acknowledge that if it weren't for The Original Series, there wouldn't be ANY Trek.

You don't have to like it, but just a modicum of Respect would be nice.
    B)
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »

That's true, I also don't say the OPs criticism are especially well founded or expressed as I've written myself earlier. I just wanted to point out that it's moot to comment on people's suggestions something like "that wouldn't make them money" - to voice a wish, suggestion, pipedream that is entirely irrelevant for us as players and consumers.​​

True, but he's not voicing them(or typing) them in a pipe wish fashion. He's basically bashing PWE for doing something for the 50th instead of what HE wanted. Why I said what I said.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    saedeith wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    (...)
    Really though, you do have to at least acknowledge that if it weren't for The Original Series, there wouldn't be ANY Trek.

You don't have to like it, but just a modicum of Respect would be nice.
    B)

What kind of argument is this? I read it again and again. If people don't like something that's fine. It is true that they should voice their discontent in a appropriate way by all means, but claiming without the thing they dislike wouldn't be the thing they like does not make them like this thing all of a sudden pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    The only reason they are releasing a mini expansion like this TOS garbage, is basically to force players to level up a new character, spend money to buy their new ships, spend money to upgrade the gear that they are going to need and to time gate them through ALL the reputations, all over again. Expanding things for our current characters would not yield them the type of profits that they need to recoup from the misguided adventure into a console client...

I will be happy knowing that I do not have to participate in or spend any money on this mini expansion. :-)
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The only reason they are releasing a mini expansion like this TOS garbage, is basically to force players to level up a new character, spend money to buy their new ships, spend money to upgrade the gear that they are going to need and to time gate them through ALL the reputations, all over again. Expanding things for our current characters would not yield them the type of profits that they need to recoup from the misguided adventure into a console client...

Then don't? pig-23.gif

EDIT: Didn't catch that edit pig-40.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Well, of course you're not going to like it.. you have already passed judgment before seeing the final product.

Give it a chance, maybe the content will surprise you. It seems a bit early for a thread about how the content is disappointing, we don't even have any real details about it yet.

Honestly, if you're finding all the content this unsatisfying, maybe the root issue here is that you really just don't like Star Trek Online.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    IMHO TNG/VOY/DS9/ENT or the new movies were based on TSO but the NEW writers have to "create" stories. It evolved into what it is now due to the creativity of others and will continue to evolve to other stories.

OR

there is always "Star wars" that is also evolving...its the nature of SCI FI genre and its not HISTORY that brings it up but "creativity" to evolve to other stories. The past should be just a link to what is to come. A small respect is granted and agreed but an "entire faction" or let alone an Expansion? a bit extreme.​​
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    How is creating a character for a new 'Faction' switching Factions.

Are they going to take KDF Characters and make them Federation?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,119 Community Moderator
    When will peeps learn that QA department is different from Content department...

My guess... never. Because a Dev can do ANYTHING, therefor MUST fix bugs before making new content. Not like we don't get new bugs anyways with new content because of new code playing with old code... Bug free environment is only really possible in a single player game. MMO's? lol
    daveyny wrote: »
    Why does the DOOOOOM Factor always seem to have to pop up in these kind of discussions.

Because Cryptic did something!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)