test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4!

Comments

• crinstcrinst Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Can't we get a change on this whole not transferring our accounts from pc to console?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    crinst wrote: »
    Can't we get a change on this whole not transferring our accounts from pc to console?

It won't work.

The consoles are always going to be lagging behind the PCs in new content .
    (because of the rules that SONY and Microsoft have about vetting new additions to the games)
    You won't be able to use items that you currently have on your PC on your Console, because the consoles are only going to get up to 11.5 when it launches in the Fall.

That in turn would probably TRIBBLE up your LIVE DATA file, which will also probably cause the game to crash every time you try to log in.
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • psw1016psw1016 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I actually think this a good thing. Cant wait to play it on ps4. I've been playing for a couple of years on PC so, it will be nice to play on a different format. start fresh.
  • cmdavenportcmdavenport Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    saedeith wrote: »
    The one thing I want to know is will my content be moved over to the new platform servers? I've been playing this game since the beta. I've got a lot of hours and money invested in this. I had been playing STO on the Mac but since they decided to stop support for my preferred computer of choice and I've not been able to play the game as of late. I don't think it's an unreasonable request to transfer our accounts to the the new platform(PS4/XBOX).

If it works like Neverwinter, nothing will transfer over. PC accounts will be on their own server, PS4 and XBox One accounts will be on their own servers.

This would be disappointing. You'd think that if you are paying for it they would make an exception.
  • darthshadow260darthshadow260 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    lyanaar wrote: »
    The question is: What happens to my Lifetime Membership or my store purchases? I will not buy everything again...

Same here im not buying everything again they need to make it crossed platformed for that reason alone if you have a lifetime membership you should be able to bring everything over to the xbox or ps4
  • kyrop1kyrop1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I understand the account won't carry over. And like psw above, I actually think I'll like a fresh start... However, I do have a question that I have not seen answered. I bought the lifetime subscription years ago. Will I get those benefits on the PS4 version?
  • enger#5735 enger Member Posts: 1 New User
    do you think you can cross-play between consoles and pcs?
  • kyrop1kyrop1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    enger#5735 wrote: »
    do you think you can cross-play between consoles and pcs?

Fairly certainly its been specifically confirmed that you cannot.

• terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    People need to get over this. When you bought lifetime or whatever in the past you did so knowing it would be for PC only. Don't expect, nor demand that you're entitled to all privileges to be transferred on the consoles as well. After all this is intended for new player base. There not doing it for old members as veteran reward, you need to realise this and accept it.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    kyrop1 wrote: »
    I understand the account won't carry over. And like psw above, I actually think I'll like a fresh start... However, I do have a question that I have not seen answered. I bought the lifetime subscription years ago. Will I get those benefits on the PS4 version?

Nope, because you will need to create a different account to play on each of the consoles. The LTS is tied to your STO PC account.

Also, using Neverwinter as a benchmark, STO Console will not get any form of LTS. The reason being is that Sony / Microsoft gets a cut of all real money transactions. In the long term they can make more money from people who decides to sub on a monthly basis compared to a one time payment for the LTS. Additionally, a monthly cut is more predictable compared to when people decide to buy a LTS.
  • spleach87spleach87 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Soooo, can you link your PC account?
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    spleach87 wrote: »
    Soooo, can you link your PC account?

No, you cannot link your account. Everyone starts fresh on PS4 and XBOX 1 when the game releases. Also, if your a lifetime member on PC, that does not transfer over to the consoles.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • schmedickeschmedicke Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    One of the issues I know they are trying to combat moving the game over to console is trying to put an entire keyboard and mouse onto a controller. This issue had already been tackled by the power wheel similarly in Halo Wars. I however think Cryptic can go one step further and review an old Tom Clancy game called End Wars. This game used voice recognition to issue complex orders to units in real time. It actualy worked very very well. Could you imagine issuing TSS or APB by simply saying it?
    In addition yes I'm one of those who thinks all things bought in the CStore and lifetime memberships should carry over onto the consule. There is no reason why it should not.
  • kyle#8877 kyle Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Sorry i am new here but I've been a fan of Star trek since the ninetys and imo allowing preferential treatment of pc gamers is not fair for console players who have to start from scratch.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    kyle#8877 wrote: »
    Sorry i am new here but I've been a fan of Star trek since the ninetys and imo allowing preferential treatment of pc gamers is not fair for console players who have to start from scratch.

There is no preferential treatment for PC gamers at present... in many ways it's the opposite: because there is no means of linking accounts, nothing a player has purchased on one platform is usable on the other platforms. That does help keep everyone at the same starting point, but also creates a strong disincentive for players to change platforms from where they have already made C-Store purchases, caught a Giveaway (such as the KT uniform coming next week, which probably won't be available on console at launch because AoY won't be present yet), or unlocked during an Event (make sure to catch the Winter Event this year; you won't be able to get the prior Breen ships, unless they drop the "exclusivity" kick they've been on, but the Event itself is silly fun and you'll be able to pick up whatever ship they release this time).

It is what it is; just don't expect to take your laptop with you on vacation to catch special stuff for your console account.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • rangerprimexrangerprimex Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I would like to see an official FAQ about the console release and what it means for current PC users. I am not as concerned about transferring characters(but I can see that for users) but yes I would like the LTS unlocks to carry over. ESO did something for PC users making the move from PC to Console. Hopefully Perfect World will do the same. Hopefully we will see an official FAQ on it.
  • djmetal1981djmetal1981 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Personally, I find this quite interesting because I brought up the question of this happening back when Neverwinter first went to XBone. Now DCUO is on there too, and this coming in the fall.

I just skimmed through, but two constant things caught my eye: 1) How will it work with a controller, and 2) "the consoles will lag behind in updates." So far (at least with DCUO, never really got into NW), any update that the PC version has gotten, consoles are right there with it. I realize with different companies, different things can and will happen. However, there's really no reason for the console versions to lag behind.

As for how will the controller work: If done correctly, easily. I've played PC with my XBone controller just fine. It's about the mapping of buttons, and maybe if they take a hint from DCUO it'll make things really simple. Since I know XBox better than PS4, I'll use their setup for this example:

Ground
    Movement: Left Joystick
    Camera: Right Joystick
    Jump: A
    Primary Fire: X
    Secondary Fire: Y
    IDK: B
    Hot-bar 1-4: Left Trigger + Button
    Hot-bar 5-8: Right Trigger + Button

Not sure what to do with RB and LB, cause it's been a while since I've played. However, dogfights play out about the same because you can map everything pretty much the same way, and there you can use LB and RB to accelerate/decelerate.
    CelSTOsig_zps60r2fa18.jpg
  • skydawn13skydawn13 Member Posts: 2 New User
    i definitely want LTS to carry over. i currently play on pc but i would play on console with my friends. if it dose ill pay the LTS right now. and thats one answer i haven't been able to find
    Imo i Don't believe that allowing pc players the option to transfer their save game to consoles fair at all think about the rage it would cause in the console community all the fresh players just starting out and finding out that pc players where given preferential treatment the game would die quickly.
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Imo i Don't believe that allowing pc players the option to transfer their save game to consoles fair at all think about the rage it would cause in the console community all the fresh players just starting out and finding out that pc players where given preferential treatment the game would die quickly.

It's been stated on numerous occasions that there is no sort of "account transfer" available for PC players. As with newcomers, they (current/PC players) will have to start from scratch if they make the decision to start up on console. They will also get no such bonuses from being a PC player, apart from experience and game knowledge from being long-term players of the game.

EDIT: The account transfer you're seeing is for transferring your data from the LIVE server (HOLODECK) to the TEST server (TRIBBLE and/or REDSHIRT, when available).
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    There is no preferential treatment for PC gamers at present... in many ways it's the opposite: because there is no means of linking accounts, nothing a player has purchased on one platform is usable on the other platforms. That does help keep everyone at the same starting point, but also creates a strong disincentive for players to change platforms from where they have already made C-Store purchases, caught a Giveaway (such as the KT uniform coming next week, which probably won't be available on console at launch because AoY won't be present yet), or unlocked during an Event (make sure to catch the Winter Event this year; you won't be able to get the prior Breen ships, unless they drop the "exclusivity" kick they've been on, but the Event itself is silly fun and you'll be able to pick up whatever ship they release this time).

It is what it is; just don't expect to take your laptop with you on vacation to catch special stuff for your console account.

You're assuming the consoles are even going to get Events.

If cryptic have to get the Event code done months in advance and then get it vetted twice for two separate consoles, given their historic laziness I doubt the consoles will get any.

Especially as having to do the Event coding so far in advance would give them more then enough time to fix any and all bugs in the Events and less excuse to keep on resurrecting the same old bugs year after year.
    Just curious has there been a specific release date for consoles confirmed yet.
  • aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    My goodness.

And it will enhance PC play as well.

Great for everybody!

B)

Finally! I CAN PLAY MY KLINGON AGAIN!!!

QUA'PLA!
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cronoprimecronoprime Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    sharpie65 wrote: »
    They will also get no such bonuses from being a PC player, apart from experience and game knowledge from being long-term players of the game.

They might get some small bonuses for account linking, but they'd be the same bonuses a console player without a pre-existing ARC account would get if they created an ARC account and linked. For example, I got an Illusionist companion when I linked PS4 Neverwinter to my already existing ARC account (created for PC STO).

Not yet. It's funny, STO was announced for the PS4 (May 12th) before Neverwinter was (June 1st), but Neverwinter was released first.

cronoprime wrote: »
    They will also get no such bonuses from being a PC player, apart from experience and game knowledge from being long-term players of the game.

They might get some small bonuses for account linking, but they'd be the same bonuses a console player without a pre-existing ARC account would get if they created an ARC account and linked. For example, I got an Illusionist companion when I linked PS4 Neverwinter to my already existing ARC account (created for PC STO).

Not yet. It's funny, STO was announced for the PS4 (May 12th) before Neverwinter was (June 1st), but Neverwinter was released first.

damn this wait is complete torture i finally have a chance to play my first great star trek game since legacy on ps2 great game by the way is sto really as good as all the hype says it is.

• airassaultmanairassaultman Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    It's just a lighting update. Theyou didn't go to DX 11 or 12 did they?
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User

damn this wait is complete torture i finally have a chance to play my first great star trek game since legacy on ps2 great game by the way is sto really as good as all the hype says it is.

I like it, but be aware that the type of game is distinctly different from Legacy, from the gameplay itself to purchase mechanics. Give it a shot when it comes out and decide for yourself. The beauty of a F2P game is that you have all the time in the world to decide if and when you buy some add-on or component of the game, or not, as you choose. A lot of us have our pet peeves with STO, myself included, but it's definitely worth a try; buy something if you like it, or wander off if you don't, but don't let us make the decision for you. :wink:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    Wish we had a confirmed release date the waiting is brutal.
  • chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Not pleased.

Comments:
    1. Keep PC controls and UI the same. Please don't dumb us PCs down to the level of consoles. Complexity and options is what keeps STO fun and engaging.
    2. Keep consoles away from PC STO. I would never want to team with someone using a crippled interface (joystick) who can't look around, who can't target team mates and specific NPCs quickly, and who also can't activate specific abilities when necessary.
    3. I hope consoles die and stop dumbing down PC games as they have been since forever. If my PC STO experience gets reduced to the level of NW, I'm done here.

this

• memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    Please keep your pc elitism away from my console. I will be happier with your segregation as well.