Install Arc
Options

Na'kuhl Lock Box

1235»

Comments

• Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Let's face it, the real problem isn't dilithium ore coming from AdSys, DOffing, missions or even Mining Claims... the real problem is that, with all these new sources of dilithium popping up, we're still stuck with the same six-year-old 8k/day refinement cap that bottlenecks players into having tens or hundreds of thousands of ore just sitting there having to wait to be refined - especially with the fact that more ways to spend refined ore keep being added.

Well I've seem discussions where people suggested that the 8K per character cap be replaced with a per account cap instead. That would reign in some of the crazy multi-toon farming of dilithium but at the same time open up more refining to those players who only have the 3(4 if you include and Deltas) starter toons.
    Set the limit to just over the current limit for the starter toons, say no more than 36,000 per day. It stops the dilithium refinement being exploited but allows players who aren't alt-crazy a decent stab at saving for things.

Eh, an account cap would just end Character Slot sales as folks farming multiple characters stop purchasing them for Zen in favor of making alt accounts for free. It would be an inconvenience to the hardcore farmers, sure, but not one likely to solve the concerns about folks farming dilithium en masse. Plus, it would reduce the pressure to purchase Character Slots for folks currently experiencing issues with the refining cap and reduce their individual desire/need for additional dilithium, making the Dilithium Exchange even less favorable for those trying to acquire Zen. As a side note, the worse things are for those selling dilithium, the better it is for those willing to buy some Zen to acquire that dilithium.
    Sounds about right.

The only counter would be upping the account balance based on how many characters you have on the account. So someone with 10 characters has a higher account refine limit that someone with 5.
    As to folks with an excess waiting to be refined... that sounds like an opportinity to make a new character and try something different while the one rolling in Unrefined Dilithium hits that Refine button once a day.

I'd much rather take an altogether break from the grind and cleanse the pallet with something else.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    On the topic of the Lobi store, I think it's important to remember why it's there in the first place. We didn't always have it.

It's there because we complained that lockboxes were too random and didn't provide enough value. This was the solution, to provide additional value to lockboxes which allowed players to choose what they wanted to get.

Would I rather see all of that stuff in the Zen Store? Absolutely. But given that lockboxes are not going away, ever, and are a major source of income for this game, I love the fact that the Lobi store exists at all. I think it's awesome that I could actually save up Lobi from lockboxes I open and get a lockbox-quality ship with it that I would otherwise never have access to at all. I think it's incredible that the idea got implemented in Cryptic's other games as well.

I open lockboxes with an expectation that I'm going to get something useful out of it, cheaper than I would if I bought it outright. We've come a long way from the days when we'd expect to get nothing better than an xp boost or a box of blue gear that we didn't need or want. Granted, some lockboxes are less valuable than others. But Lobi keeps its' value.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    I have a more general question.
    From a in universe point of view, are all those special uniforms (like dyson, Na’kuhl, etc.) part of KDF/Starfleet/Republic official uniform code or just for people roleplaying civillians/unaligned characters?
    Because in "real" Trek i can't remember any Starfleet personell wearing anything else than uniform on a regular basis (on duty). So what's the (in universe) point of all those uniforms, since we're all supposed to be part of either Starfleet, Klingon Defence force or Romulan Republic Navy?
    (a similar question could be asked about all the Cross-Faction Ships in STO, of course)

Don't get me wrong, that's no criticism, i just fail to see the in universe context.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    yreodred wrote: »
    From a in universe point of view, are all those special uniforms (like dyson, Na’kuhl, etc.) part of KDF/Starfleet/Republic official uniform code or just for people roleplaying civillians/unaligned characters?
    Because in "real" Trek i can't remember any Starfleet personell wearing anything else than uniform on a regular basis (on duty). So what's the (in universe) point of all those uniforms, since we're all supposed to be part of either Starfleet, Klingon Defence force or Romulan Republic Navy?
    (a similar question could be asked about all the Cross-Faction Ships in STO, of course)

Don't get me wrong, that's no criticism, i just fail to see the in universe context.

I can't remember where or when I read it (other than the fact that it's been awhile), but apparently Starfleet updated their uniform regulations to allow captains more autonomy in choosing the uniforms for their crew. Sure, hanging out in Admiral Quinn's office in a Botany Bay shirt might be going a bit far, but I'm pretty sure a re-written uniform code was the original logic behind the variety of options under the Uniform designation.

The Klingon Defense Force, on the other hand, probably doesn't give a TRIBBLE as long as you can explain your choice of attire with sufficient force. With a variety of vassal-species and allies, I doubt that the Empire really cares what is worn by KDF captains other than on formal occasions (and if you survive the resulting challenges you'd have earned the right to wear what you darn well please even then). With a less homogeous society than the Federation, the Empire is probably more open to a variety of uniforms. Armored Klingons and Nausicaans, half-naked Gorn and Orions, Lethean mercenaries and Ferasan warriors... while the individual cultures are older, the Empire itself is fairly new, and there's not a lot of standardization within these cultures just yet.

On the Romulan side... well, we're talking about a relatively new militia force (even more recent than the Empire) made up of refugees, farmers, survivors of Tal Shiar oppression, and so on. While they've organized well and become a powerful member of the Alliance, I still don't see what is essentially a group of rebels being especially restrictive.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    That would be Subsection 2, Paragraph 1 of the Starfleet Uniform Code that gives Captains and Senior Officers more liberty in regards to uniform variations (which is odd, really, when you consider Kirk's wraparound, Picard's undershirt and jacket combo, it would seem like the idea's been around longer than it really has)

Actually, Starfleet being standardized to the Odyssey-pattern uniform is still fairly new (2410, technically), before that they were a near-eyewatering mixture of Sierra-, Antares- and Jupiter-pattern uniforms with no rhyme or reason to who wore what.
    Out-of-Game, it was only 2014 and Season 9 when the uniforms were standardized;
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6003273

Though I will say that though a mix of refugee outfits and Republic uniforms is one thing, I still find it a little odd how many Republic NPCs (especially on New Romulus, which was never really updated post-LoR except to add Spock's statue) are still wearing Star Empire uniforms...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    Can we please get a equipment tab for lock boxes?

Really want to place all those boxes somewhere they do not take place from my normal stuff in bank.

Even better would be stop with those boxes and sell things on z-store instead..... ;)
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • Options
    codeman#8087 codeman Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    After Spending $500.00 to open boxes no ship same stuff over and over, Will never open another lock box, for there is nothing in game worth 500. life time membership does not even cost that much. Is it like the lottery 1in 100 mill win?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    That would be Subsection 2, Paragraph 1 of the Starfleet Uniform Code that gives Captains and Senior Officers more liberty in regards to uniform variations (which is odd, really, when you consider Kirk's wraparound, Picard's undershirt and jacket combo, it would seem like the idea's been around longer than it really has)

Actually, Starfleet being standardized to the Odyssey-pattern uniform is still fairly new (2410, technically), before that they were a near-eyewatering mixture of Sierra-, Antares- and Jupiter-pattern uniforms with no rhyme or reason to who wore what.

Though I will say that though a mix of refugee outfits and Republic uniforms is one thing, I still find it a little odd how many Republic NPCs (especially on New Romulus, which was never really updated post-LoR except to add Spock's statue) are still wearing Star Empire uniforms...
    Don't some of the players wear those too? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User

Don't some of the players wear those too? :p

Players wear weird things. I've come to accept that as an immutable fact, an eternal truth, and mentally close my eyes and pretend they're not there... same reason I keep the chat window closed when in social hubs, really.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Players wear weird things. I've come to accept that as an immutable fact, an eternal truth, and mentally close my eyes and pretend they're not there... same reason I keep the chat window closed when in social hubs, really.

I tend to be on the modern conservative side when it comes to uniforms, at least for Starfleet. When the Devs standardized on the Odyssey uniform for Starfleet, I put some of my characters in a mildly tailored version of that. Others tend to wear variants of the Sierra or Antares uniforms. I don't put them in TOS outfits unless I'm playing a time travel mission and the mood takes me. I try to make them look Starfleet.

My other non-Starfleet characters could end up in anything at all, but I do like to keep to Republic style or RR-Faction uniforms for my Romulan and I'm gravitating toward the Bortas'qu uniforms for KDF.

But yeah, sometimes I try not to think too hard about what other characters around me are wearing... it can be pretty interesting at times.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    looks like they been to jellymolds R us for the designs this time :(
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options

I can't remember where or when I read it (other than the fact that it's been awhile), but apparently Starfleet updated their uniform regulations to allow captains more autonomy in choosing the uniforms for their crew. Sure, hanging out in Admiral Quinn's office in a Botany Bay shirt might be going a bit far, but I'm pretty sure a re-written uniform code was the original logic behind the variety of options under the Uniform designation.

The Klingon Defense Force, on the other hand, probably doesn't give a TRIBBLE as long as you can explain your choice of attire with sufficient force. With a variety of vassal-species and allies, I doubt that the Empire really cares what is worn by KDF captains other than on formal occasions (and if you survive the resulting challenges you'd have earned the right to wear what you darn well please even then). With a less homogeous society than the Federation, the Empire is probably more open to a variety of uniforms. Armored Klingons and Nausicaans, half-naked Gorn and Orions, Lethean mercenaries and Ferasan warriors... while the individual cultures are older, the Empire itself is fairly new, and there's not a lot of standardization within these cultures just yet.

On the Romulan side... well, we're talking about a relatively new militia force (even more recent than the Empire) made up of refugees, farmers, survivors of Tal Shiar oppression, and so on. While they've organized well and become a powerful member of the Alliance, I still don't see what is essentially a group of rebels being especially restrictive.
    Makes sense for Klingon Defense Force and Romulan republic and to a certain extend even for Starfleet, but to wear the uniform of a enemy (like the Na'kuhl uniform) seems a bit too far for me.
    Don't get me wrong here, other players may do what makes them happy, i don't care much.
    I just fail to see a convincing in-universe explanation for myself to make my captains & crew wear something else than Standard uniform (no matter what i think about the looks of the standard uni). On the other hand if the player character where somehow more detached from Starfleet (story wise), like part of a sub division for special operations for example. Then i could see a justification for wearing somekind of fantasy Starfleet uniform for example.

Sure, i understand it's just a game and it would be boring if everyone would wear the same uniform, but to me it feels just strange to be part of Starfleet and not wearing the uniform everyone else (NPCs) does. This may sound silly but i always imagine Kirk or Picard wearing combat armor (or whatever other players Captains may wear) when on duty and how silly this would look.
    In STO universe however there is a comparable mixed crew wearing all kinds of clothing, which is on Tom Paris ship. But even there, starfleet personnel wears uniform iirc.
    Several years ago, before Cryptics devs introduced the Odyssey uniform, there where various Starfleet uniform variants to be seen (which was pretty chaotic imo). To be honest, it is much better now, but (for me) the question remains why do cryptics story writers expect a highly decorated starfleet officer (the players character) not wear Starfleet uniform?
    As i said this is not criticism against other players or Cryptic itself, i just want to understand the reasoning behind all this.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I would say that the in-universe explanation is that your character gets to decide what he and his crew wear. it doesn't need to be a book-long explanation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,545 Arc User

Makes sense for Klingon Defense Force and Romulan republic and to a certain extend even for Starfleet, but to wear the uniform of a enemy (like the Na'kuhl uniform) seems a bit too far for me.
    Don't get me wrong here, other players may do what makes them happy, i don't care much.
    I just fail to see a convincing in-universe explanation for myself to make my captains & crew wear something else than Standard uniform (no matter what i think about the looks of the standard uni). On the other hand if the player character where somehow more detached from Starfleet (story wise), like part of a sub division for special operations for example. Then i could see a justification for wearing somekind of fantasy Starfleet uniform for example.

Sure, i understand it's just a game and it would be boring if everyone would wear the same uniform, but to me it feels just strange to be part of Starfleet and not wearing the uniform everyone else (NPCs) does. This may sound silly but i always imagine Kirk or Picard wearing combat armor (or whatever other players Captains may wear) when on duty and how silly this would look.
    In STO universe however there is a comparable mixed crew wearing all kinds of clothing, which is on Tom Paris ship. But even there, starfleet personnel wears uniform iirc.
    Several years ago, before Cryptics devs introduced the Odyssey uniform, there where various Starfleet uniform variants to be seen (which was pretty chaotic imo). To be honest, it is much better now, but (for me) the question remains why do cryptics story writers expect a highly decorated starfleet officer (the players character) not wear Starfleet uniform?
    As i said this is not criticism against other players or Cryptic itself, i just want to understand the reasoning behind all this.

One of my captains is a Mirror Universe defector who arrived in a stolen Paradox along with his reprogrammed Holo-Leeta ex-overseer. He wears the Enterprise-era MU uniform complete with dagger. Starfleet allows him to wear his uniform and use MU uniforms for his crew.
  • Options
    kingmj4891kingmj4891 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    The easiest explanation is:

itsonlyagame.gif
  • Options
    karthannarkarthannar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    1da795e31f.jpg

Whenever I see the new uniforms I can't help but see:

19gsy6h6tcf15jpg.jpg
    *can't be arsed to spend five minutes in photochop to slap a crappy image signature together*
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    @karthannar

Like the way you think, I do! XXD
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options

One of my captains is a Mirror Universe defector who arrived in a stolen Paradox along with his reprogrammed Holo-Leeta ex-overseer. He wears the Enterprise-era MU uniform complete with dagger. Starfleet allows him to wear his uniform and use MU uniforms for his crew.
    No offense against you and your head RP, but this wouldn't work for me TBH. Starfleet would never enlist a mirror universe officer, not even a defector. Not the Starfleet as described from Picard and even Kirks Starfleet. Maybe as civillian member of a crew, but putting him/her into command a full armed ship, that's too much of a strech.
    Don't get me wrong i'm not criticising the way you play, but to me it doesn't look very plausible.

Sure Cryptics Starfleet has become bedraggled in it's values and has mutated into a 98% militarized organization, but still i can't imagine that even they would recruit random mercenaries unbound to the prime directive or any other of Starfleets code of values. Starfleet isn't SW rebel alliance.

TNGs Starfleet (2364-2370; you know the ones with those tedious ethics and evolved humanity, no one wants to hear about anymore) would rather try to remove the threat of a mirror renegade flying around in a highly armed battleship in Federation space. But STO handles things like there where groups of people in the US pretending to be police (or military) and the real police (or military) playing along and even enlistening them. (i know bad example)
    As i said, STO doesn't make much sense to me.

Of course it's just a game, but every game worlds needs to have a certain set of rules in order to work and make sense. Otherwise we could be 5 year olds again playing in a sandbox and saying "my power action man figure is stronger than yours", "No mine", "No mine", "No mine".....
    (Again don't get me wrong i'm not trying to say how other people have to play, it's just the way i see those things.)

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User

No offense against you and your head RP, but this wouldn't work for me TBH. Starfleet would never enlist a mirror universe officer, not even a defector. Not the Starfleet as described from Picard and even Kirks Starfleet. Maybe as civillian member of a crew, but putting him/her into command a full armed ship, that's too much of a strech.
    Don't get me wrong i'm not criticising the way you play, but to me it doesn't look very plausible.

Sure Cryptics Starfleet has become bedraggled in it's values and has mutated into a 98% militarized organization, but still i can't imagine that even they would recruit random mercenaries unbound to the prime directive or any other of Starfleets code of values. Starfleet isn't SW rebel alliance.

TNGs Starfleet (2364-2370; you know the ones with those tedious ethics and evolved humanity, no one wants to hear about anymore) would rather try to remove the threat of a mirror renegade flying around in a highly armed battleship in Federation space. But STO handles things like there where groups of people in the US pretending to be police (or military) and the real police (or military) playing along and even enlistening them. (i know bad example)

Of course it's just a game, but every game worlds needs to have a certain set of rules in order to work and make sense. Otherwise we could be 5 year olds again playing in a sandbox and saying "my power action man figure is stronger than yours", "No mine", "No mine", "No mine".....
    (Again don't get me wrong i'm not trying to say how other people have to play, it's just the way i see those things.)

Technically in the iconion war they would have enlisted everyone who wanted to join as after the dominion war any ex marquis were given a full pardon and some were offered there starfleet service reinstated. (granted not canon but in the novel Ro eventually became security officer of Ds9 and Chakotay was given a captaincy when Voyager returned home.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    robeasom wrote: »

Technically in the iconion war they would have enlisted everyone who wanted to join as after the dominion war any ex marquis were given a full pardon and some were offered there starfleet service reinstated. (granted not canon but in the novel Ro eventually became security officer of Ds9 and Chakotay was given a captaincy when Voyager returned home.
    I can't remember Starfleet being willing ot enlist ANYONE after the dominion war, or Cryptics Starfleet being willing to enlist anyone who wants to fight in the iconian war (maybe i just can't remember, but it would only show how "different" Cryptics Starfleet is to the one in the shows).
    Since some marquis where actually Starfleet officers, i could imagine that some (which where not involved in terrorist-like acts) could be reinstated to Starfleet, abandonig their officer commisison and serving as non com.
    Even then, these are people who have graduated Starfleet Academy and have proven to understand the values of the federation (to some extent). But Starfleet giving command of a Starship to a civillian or even worse a member of the mirror universe*? no way.

That's why i can't understand why so many ppl. are playing non Starfleet characters in STO. Again don't get me wrong i'm not telling anyone how to play, i just fail to understand their reasoning.

*Regarding the mirror universe, i think ppl. who are in charge there are obviously "unstable" to say it mildly and wouldn't pass even the most basic psychological test in "our" Trek universe.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User

As a matter of those ethics, it should be noted that Starfleet would actually be willing to accept someone from the Mirror Universe. You're saying that because this person is an untrustworthy Terran from an alternate reality that he would never be allowed anywhere near a Captain's chair is as antithetical to Federation values as the intense military profile that Starfleet has had to bear as of late.

Not to say that he would pop into our reality and they would say, "sure go to work" it's not like that. But a Terran captain who had demonstrated that he could accept, abide by, and operate consistently under prime universe Federation values should also have a shot at the Captain's chair. That would include actually graduating from our Starfleet Academy. And Starfleet Command and Intelligence would likely scrutinize every report with an electron microscope. But that doesn't mean they would bar him from command forever.

It's not where you're from, it's where you're going, and the work you put in.

If there's a curious hole in his story it's that his character who defected actually wants to continue wearing his Terran Imperial Uniform. Though maybe he just wants to keep the female crewmembers in that uniform and wants to be fair.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Well I play a MU captain who has infiltrated by replacing the original captain and fixing the missions to work in the favor of the Terran Empire. Would love to be able to get a mirror universe bridge but doubt it will ever happen now
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]