test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Na'kuhl Lock Box

Comments

• Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    Including a Na'Kuhl plasma torpedo would be very nice.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Time travel must be particularly harmful if our chars now need exterior crotch protection for their uniforms :#
  • Options
    cmdrwhitneycmdrwhitney Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I want that console. :)

And it's about time we got some additional variety in plasma weapons! I hope those things come in full auto!
  • Options
    betanembetanem Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    Curse you cryptic, now I have a reason too play again. Those are some awesome looking ships. >:)
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    AAAAAAHHHH!!! It's a Battlecruiser with Pilot BOff seating?!?! YAY!!!! I've been waiting for a Cruiser-type vessel to have access to Pilot abilities, and I'm glad there's finally one out there that's breaking the trend! I absolutely love the look of these ships: the red/orange hull combined with the smooth curves and jagged points just makes these things look truly exotic and unique, like nothing we've seen before! Beautiful work, ship designers! Bravo!

Now, if you guys could take a look at the Resolute Cruiser and change its Lt. Commander Engineering/Command station out for a Lt. Commander Engineering/Pilot station I and many others will be eternally grateful! After all, the Resolute/Excelsior model is the smallest Fed Cruiser in-game, and it wouldn't be far-fetched for the ship to have Pilot seating at all, especially since the OG Excelsior's captain was a very accomplished helmsman! Plus, it would make the Resolute unique, instead of it being the slightly more maneuverable, slightly less versatile Andromeda copy!
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Wow, the ships are kinda broken, the multiple specialization abilities on them and then that sci ship with the battle cloak, nice ships. I'd love to be able to add an extra specialization to existing ships but that's a whole other ball of wax. The lightsabers look cool, I'll grab a few of them and I can't wait to see what the doffs are like.
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    A faction with high emphasis on maneuverability, eh? Perfect excuse to slap a Pilot seat on that BatCruiser :smile:

The ships look kindaaa... organic? With all the heal sweetness in that box I wouldn't be surprised :smile:

What's up with their engine trail? O.o
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Looks like somebody liked the look of the Mirak League vessels from Starfleet Command II.

MirakHeavyCruiser.jpg
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I think I will go after some ground weapons on this one. At least they look more interesting.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    Imagine if all the resources that went into just this one scambling box were used to create missions for the game instead.
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Infiltrators and saboteurs, the Na'kuhl have become a scourge of the timelines. With the introduction of the Na’kuhl Lock Box, these powerful abilities can yours!

Learn more in our first Lock Box blog here.

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

proof read much?
    augm3nt wrote: »
    another ripoff box.. with only 1 ship worth in it.. this is rude. or lack of creativity? im start missing very first sto devs.

*Facepalm*
    Or you could just save EC's and buy what you want from the exchange. There will be plenty of people willing to give their money away while opening the gamble boxes.

I'm guessing not bcuz there are plenty of keys on the exchange too and why spend real money when most have millions already in game.
    Na’kuhl Assassin Plasma Blade = Star Trek Lightsaber

actually no that would be the energy Bat'leths from the winter event if you were in game when those originally came out there was a big uproar by some that did not want them in game.
  • Options
    kingmj4891kingmj4891 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Imagine if all the resources that went into just this one scambling box were used to create missions for the game instead.

Just remember at the end of the day they are a business and need make money. I really dislike the F2P model of this game when it comes to all missions are free, yeah have some missions for the F2P but the number subscribers would increase if more mission were available to them.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User

It's an investment from Cryptic's part. Like it or not, lock boxes and those who open them keep the game going.

Sure, they could have created content instead. But you'd likely have to pay for that content since they must get their money from something. Paying for content, then, seems one of the last things most people want.
  • Options
    kingmj4891kingmj4891 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Paying for content, then, seems one of the last things most people want.

I would gladly renew my subscription or buy the lifetime deal if it meant we got missions on a regular basis. One-two missions a month should be the goal.
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Sadly no way to judge scale as they have removed the stat for crew number. :/
  • Options
    kingmj4891 wrote: »
    Paying for content, then, seems one of the last things most people want.

I would gladly renew my subscription or buy the lifetime deal if it meant we got missions on a regular basis. One-two missions a month should be the goal.

You're only one person though. A while ago, there was a poll which showed that most of those who voted there were not prepared to pay for content IIRC.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,954 Arc User
    edited April 2016

It's an investment from Cryptic's part. Like it or not, lock boxes and those who open them keep the game going.

Sure, they could have created content instead. But you'd likely have to pay for that content since they must get their money from something. Paying for content, then, seems one of the last things most people want.

I'm pretty sure you could have also reasoned through that point just by saying "the devs working on missions likely aren't the same as those who are working on gameplay related items. This is not a zero sum question. We can have both episodic content and lock box items without worrying about the compromises between them."

Hence why we do have a high frequency of episodic content and lock box items (and incidentally more things like special mission reward items and reputation items, as the way cryptic approaches these things does seem pretty balanced. The only thing I'd personally ask for is just more c-store tailor options and less character-unlocked lobi gear.)

Anyway as for the Na'kuhl box, I call dibs. That's right, it's all going to be mine!
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    The Daemosh Science vessel looks semi-influenced from the Babylon 5 Thirdspace fighter. The Tadari Raider looks like a Vasari Titan. Am I the only one seeing this?

T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options

I'm pretty sure you could have also reasoned through that point just by saying "the devs working on missions aren't the same as those who are working on gameplay related items. This is not a zero sum question. We can have both episodic content and lock box items without worrying about the compromise between them."

Hence why we do have a high frequency of episodic content and lock box items (and incidentally things like special mission reward items [more than ever before in fact] and reputation items, as the way cryptic approaches these things does seem pretty balanced. The only thing I'd ask for is just more c-store tailor options and less lobi gear.)

I very much doubt that. Rewards from a box or from an episode aren't that different to make and thus would likely demand the same kind of work. (That's just an assumption from my part of course, based on some vague idea.)

I doubt it would make much difference. If they'd scale down the creation of lock boxes, we still wouldn't get many more episodes I think. LB's and the chance based system that underlies it a necessary evil to keep the game going, C-store sales probably wouldn't be able to cover the loss in revenue or I'd imagine that that option would have been explored by Cryptic. No one spends hundreds of euros on C-store items, even if they did, they'd only do it once.

I know there are plenty of fools who do spend hundreds of euros on lb's, something they'd be unlikely to spend on C-store items. I'm one of those fools ;) and given there are multiple exclusive ships like the Vonph on the exchange, I can't be the only one.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    So - there are no consolation prize ships?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited April 2016

Looking again, I must edit my reply. Yeah, I suppose it appears there's no "Malon Garbage Scow" in this one. Unless, despite the different wording, the Acheros is the usual Grand Prize ship and the Tadaari Raider is the consolation prize.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    euar0euar0 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    No Catalysts? .. No upgrade boosters .. worthless R&D pack add...
    Just tell me it's not in the normal packs.

• Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    For those here not aircraft enthusiasts, the Acheros is an SR-71.

http://www.migflug.com/jetflights/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/lockheed_sr_71_blackbird-1920x1200.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Looking again, I must edit my reply. Yeah, I suppose it appears there's no "Malon Garbage Scow" in this one. Unless, despite the different wording, the Acheros is the usual Grand Prize ship and the Tadaari Raider is the consolation prize.
    Well, I don't think the raider is as common as a Malon ship, but it's a lot less rare than a grand prize ship.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Hm a ship that might pull me out of my 3 pc voth palisade battle cloak? This might do it. And looking like a B5 vorlon ship no less. I wonder if the ship editor will let us do the same two tone color effect with colors other than red
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Not really interested in this much either.

I like the Temporal Ally thing, but the knowledge that it's locked up behind a rarer-than-rare lockbox ship means I know better than to chase after it.

The Phasic Shroud thing sounds cool. But not worth gambling for.

I -might- decide to pursue something with my Romulan to take advantage of synergies with plasma weapons, but that's about it.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I do believe that I found some ships for my Science Rom Alien and his crew... provided I get lucky...

Midge... I hope you have your bribes up to date... there are boxes waiting to be opened...
  • Options
    Traits and kit modules are usually very cheap (unfortunately I might add, still got way too many of those from all the boxes I opened) so no need to gamble for those if you don't want to ;)
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,954 Arc User
    edited April 2016

I very much doubt that. Rewards from a box or from an episode aren't that different to make and thus would likely demand the same kind of work. (That's just an assumption from my part of course, based on some vague idea.)

I doubt it would make much difference. If they'd scale down the creation of lock boxes, we still wouldn't get many more episodes I think. LB's and the chance based system that underlies it a necessary evil to keep the game going, C-store sales probably wouldn't be able to cover the loss in revenue or I'd imagine that that option would have been explored by Cryptic. No one spends hundreds of euros on C-store items, even if they did, they'd only do it once.

I know there are plenty of fools who do spend hundreds of euros on lb's, something they'd be unlikely to spend on C-store items. I'm one of those fools ;) and given there are multiple exclusive ships like the Vonph on the exchange, I can't be the only one.

Well it would probably help to be clear on one point: there's episode rewards and the episode themselves. Obviously I can't say with any authority how this works in cryptic but, from other developers I've followed along with, gameplay related items (ie. "the sandbox") and levels/maps (ie. "the environments") tend to be handled by different people/teams within the company. One group works out the stuff while others are building out where that stuff is played. Granted they both involve rendered assets but there's some very different considerations behind them (especially when it comes to application) which you hope have been delegated to people who specialize in that specific type of content.

So, cut lock boxes and you wouldn't necessarily be freeing up devs to work out more story missions (just as with the forum trope that cutting story missions would free up devs for bug testing, it's not a zero-sum problem). You'd probably have more people on hand who's job is working out more analogous content to what the lock boxes contained (ie. ships, gear, costumes.) Now of course cryptic could handle things completely differently and have their artists work on anything and everything that needs doing, but just how many new levels a few ground weapons, ships, and space FX are costing is a mightily uncertain question ("possibly some" is likely as far as we'll be able to speculate. :P)

But here's where I don't understand the concern here: have we really had a noticeable drop in the frequency of ships, abilities, and other boxable items (or missions) before and after lock boxes? I can't say that we have (see. mission rewards since season 10 especially) except in one area: ground costumes which you can heap a good helping of criticism on Cryptic for (but pretty much as its own topic). Why might that be? Well, just look at what lock boxes generally have, out of faction ships, active abilities, and weapons that generally have been made for new or existing NPC's.

It represents a whole lot of content recycling which, if you removed, might only free up a marginal amount of dev time even just relative to the total you could say went into the boxes (never mind in the grand scheme of things). So in justifying why lock boxes exist you probably don't have to use the point "well, it comes at a cost to everything else but it seems to make them a whole lot of money," because it might not actually take that great a bite out of other releases (except again for new tailor options, for which the Lobi store has pretty much replaced the C-Store.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Looks like somebody liked the look of the Mirak League vessels from Starfleet Command II.
    I kind of though some of them looked too similar to the Ferengi Nandi.

e5e7d549010274f57019f96f0860f4161460076189.png

8d7472ee0a7936067c8057ad6b8f49f91433355541.png

35b0ea8fb14b0e2c1ae023c5afba604f1460075152.png

A lot of the same curves and shapes.