What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Holodeck Connection Issues [2/13]

Comments

• Options
    yolduryoldur Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    buggy285 wrote: »
    I'm still unable to log in. Does anyone know whats causing the problem?

Yes, as all the posts in this thread explain, a DDOS attack is causing it.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,179 Community Moderator
    He's from the UK? That's a bit closer than I though. I was thinking Croatia or somewhere in that area...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    "Knowingly causing the transmission of a program, information, code, or command that causes damage or intentionally accessing a computer without authorization, and as a result of such conduct, causes damage that results in:
    * Loss to one or more persons during any one-year period aggregating at least $5,000 in value. " Umm yeah, Mr. "NeverwinterGod" has definitely committed a felony - if you take the average transactions of STO players in a single day - it exceeds well over $5000.....so Cryptic / Arc / PWE - whichever he is targeting has a perfect legal case against this person...

A Felony in the US?
    I think this guy's on the other side of the world, so International stuff makes things complicated.

Almost makes ya want to crowd-fund a bounty for this guy, don't it?
  • Options
    nikkobrisbanenikkobrisbane Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    fiachra wrote: »
    A Felony in the US?
    I think this guy's on the other side of the world, so International stuff makes things complicated.

It's fairly well known he's from the UK. So it's up to them to do something.

Typical. well thats ok. UK has similar laws so..will be easy to sort him however it will take time due to being international.

• Options
    kblskbls Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    asdf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    mike03uc wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Just a few notes.

Yes, we are aware. It's complicated and very involved. That being said this is something we are taking very, very seriously.

We won't comment on any details of our security operations in response to this as to do so would potentially compromise security measures taken/taking.

I am reiterating the necessity of following the Community Rules and Policies. If you begin to flame or threaten others in this thread, this is highly inappropriate.

Not to belabor the point, but Trendy is right. Naturally, we're all frustrated (I was in the middle of Surface Tension), but screaming about it on here likely won't make much of a difference. The only people who can do anything are folks like Trendy, and being as this is their job (and they certainly seem to be very good at it), I'm certain they're doing everything possible. So, let's let them do their job, knowing there's nothing more we can do.

I work in engineering. In any tech field, cyber security is a very serious concern, and no matter how well-guarded your servers are, there's always a way to make this happen. Do bear in mind that, for most people who do this, this is pretty much all they do. It's practically their job...as sick as that sounds. Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do to stop someone who's so hell-bent on causing electronic destruction.

I doubt he's a real hacker. Botnets can be rented - all you need to know is what site to go to, what IP addresses you want DDOS'd and have some bitcoin to put in the slot. It's still just as bad for us, mind you, but don't go around with an overblown opinion of the guy just because he knows where to look to cause mischief.
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    Just tried logging in and playing.

After a bit of a struggle to get the game launched, I logged in as one of my characters and nothing loaded. None of my dailies, nothing. Then I got d/ced and decided there will be no STO for me tonight. Think I'm gonna go play Elder Scrolls Online instead.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    "Knowingly causing the transmission of a program, information, code, or command that causes damage or intentionally accessing a computer without authorization, and as a result of such conduct, causes damage that results in:
    * Loss to one or more persons during any one-year period aggregating at least $5,000 in value. " Umm yeah, Mr. "NeverwinterGod" has definitely committed a felony - if you take the average transactions of STO players in a single day - it exceeds well over $5000.....so Cryptic / Arc / PWE - whichever he is targeting has a perfect legal case against this person...

A Felony in the US?

Almost makes ya want to crowd-fund a bounty for this guy, don't it?

I'd be happy with crowd-funding a seperate server either for STO or Neverwinter to reduce the 'splash damage', personally...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    minmacdougalminmacdougal Member Posts: 182 Arc User

Yeah, that's if he's caught. The skrub is likely behind a proxy (or seven LOL) and has infiltrated numerous computers and turned them into zombie units to do his bidding. The most one can do is hand it off to the FBI, or Interpol if international, and hope for the best.
  • Options
    ninzombie14ninzombie14 Member Posts: 17 Arc User

A Felony in the US?

Actually it doesn't - Cryptic / Arc / PWE - I am assuming it is Cryptic that is being targeted specifically - Cryptic files a report to local / county / city / state authorities, they contact the FBI, FBI contacts INTERPOL, INTERPOL contacts the person's local government, they go pick he/she up. They just need to have solid evidence of the whereabouts of the person in question...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,179 Community Moderator
    jaturnley wrote: »
    I doubt he's a real hacker. Botnets can be rented - all you need to know is what site to go to, what IP addresses you want DDOS'd and have some bitcoin to put in the slot. It's still just as bad for us, mind you, but don't go around with an overblown opinion of the guy just because he knows where to look to cause mischief.

That is the current theory. Especially since this doesn't go on all day and his IP hasn't been blocked.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    He's in the UK? That's interesting, maybe one of us could contact the authorities here...
  • Options
    What does DDOS stand for anyway.
  • Options
    Distributed Denial of Service
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User

The usual problem with cybercrime is jurisdiction. If this guy isn't in the U.S. but, for instance, in Canada then not only our FBI (who typically handles cyber-crimes in the U.S.) but authorities local to him have to get involved. With some countries that can get very complicated, sometimes the local authorities won't even co-operate and other avenues have to be taken. It could realistically take years to get this kid into a court room.
  • Options
    richspearrichspear Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    His mom is our only hope..
  • Options
    mike03ucmike03uc Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    richspear wrote: »
    His mom is our only hope..

This^
    e0M7OhA.png
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    He's in the UK? That's interesting, maybe one of us could contact the authorities here...
    As I said, good luck. I wouldn't count on the underfunded Police force in this country to be any help. Constant government cuts to public service budgets here mean that they don't have the manpower or resources to deal with something like this.
    Its a pretty serious crime but then again UK law inforcement is pretty lame anyway. so yeah wouldnt expect much from them cuts or no cuts.
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    What does DDOS stand for anyway.
    Distributed Denial of Service

Basically someone spams the servers with so many service request that the legitimate requests can't be processed.
  • Options
    coolian106coolian106 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    scarlet0ne wrote: »
    This is his twitter, he has a beef with Neverwinter and he announces it here; https://twitter.com/neverwintergod

Good to know, any way to report the spoiled brat that way?
  • Options
    it got quite....a little too quite...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    mikoto8472 wrote: »

Insert Benny Hill music + police chase.
  • Options
    mike03ucmike03uc Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    In the words of Zaphod Beeblebrox, "... I'm just gonna go… find something else for my whole life to be about."
    e0M7OhA.png
  • Options
    ninzombie14ninzombie14 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Yes it did get quiet...someone on Twitter stated "They know where the person is, they are just getting the legal-eeze together to execute a warrant" - and this "NeverwinterGod" person clamed right up really fast...
  • Options
    the jig is up...run kid run!
  • Options
    cryvactheblackcryvactheblack Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Why can't yhey send the F.B.I. After this hacker TRIBBLE and deal with him properly his actions are extreamly disruptive for everyone in STO. Thanks Treny for being on top of the situaion your effoers are always appreciated :smile:
    The team is investigating the issues currently affecting Captains from accessing Holodeck.

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

• Options
    uncharted2420uncharted2420 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    The team is investigating the issues currently affecting Captains from accessing Holodeck.

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

And when can we expect to see some progress or update on that? I'm a lifetime subscriber and right now this is preventing me from getting my grubby hands on my new ship!
  • Options
    i will use this time to start a cyber P.I. firm
  • Options
    And when can we expect to see some progress or update on that? I'm a lifetime subscriber and right now this is preventing me from getting my grubby hands on my new ship!

Stating you're a Lifer does not make things go any faster.
    Why can't yhey send the F.B.I. After this hacker TRIBBLE and deal with him properly his actions are extreamly disruptive for everyone in STO. Thanks Treny for being on top of the situaion your effoers are always appreciated :smile:

Apparently he's in the UK, so FBI has to go International if they get involved.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    It's up, I'm back in game! :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg