test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

When are you giving exploration back?

commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
I would like to know. Hopefully the answer isn't "when we figure out how to heavily monetize it".

I miss exploration, I miss the sandbox elements, even if they weren't very good. This game has devolved into a paper thin max level grind game, and 90% of it doesn't feel like Trek at all.

You go through this epic storyline, you get to the end and then, time to grind.

I was sorely disappointed in A New Dawn, because you implied exploration would be back as a system. Silly me for ever taking anything at face value.

You know I used to be one of the few people around here who wasn't jaded, but I guess I'm joining the ranks. This game becomes less desriable to play at every major release (except LoR which was done mostly right).

I want to explore.
♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Then (once the foundry comes back online) look through the sector block top 3 missions.

If you want to explore you really need to have something worth exploring. Randomly assembled patrols aren't the answer there (see. why you're not satisfied with random encounters in the sector block now.) What you need is that human factor (which most great explorers, Star Trek episodes were on about]), and that requires someone making the content. A content driven exploration system is out of the question for Cryptic (they've got enough on their plate with normal releases), but there's a pretty huge staple of user-generated missions with (once you get to the top 3 system) good odds of finding something that's worth your time.

It may take some scaling back of expectations (these are user generated missions after all, you aren't guaranteed a thorough development process from trained game developers) but then again I've yet to find something less playable (except where technically broken) than the old exploration system's 5 scan/kill micro grind and I've also found a lot more depth and human personality (see. that lack of a mainstream dev process.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    Why would I do Foundry missions? They're universally bad.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    I am with you OP, I miss those missions when we used to go to any areas that needed materials and we enter the planet space, a lot of ground missions were back then that are now gone and substituted by a DOff mission. That took away a big chunk out of exploration.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    The Foundry is too hard to use. They have to simplify it so that there's a lot of homemade missions available.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    You got the Admiralty system.​​

Explore the expansive Star Trek universe via drop down menus, clicking, waiting, and then more even more clicking.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    [quote="valoreah;12768140"We might see a return of a new and improved version of the old Genesis system, but that is extremely unlikely. ​[/quote]

My hope as well. If they pulled up the old code, made some minor improvements and then reintegrated it to the existing game, that would be great. But, how difficult that would be I have no idea.

klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I really really doubt they will put back an improved version of the old system. There is no direct sales in it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I really really doubt they will put back an improved version of the old system. There is no direct sales in it.

they could sell the new star systems, and the right for the owner to name this new system with his own name. 2 sales: the system, and the name token :p
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    You think a bit too simplistic.

Does a new reputation automatically create sales? Do story missions?

No. There is content in the game that is there so that players play the game in the first place, so they are engaged by the game constantly. People that don't have something to do in the game don't need to purchase anything from Cryptic.

So there is always a mix of content. Stuff that you can directly purchase, and stuff that makes you play the game so that there is sense to purchasing something for the game.

But there is no point for Cryptic to put something in the game that players do not use anyway. Which is what the old exploration system suffered from - only a small minority of the population still bothered with exploration content. Everyone else had already seen all the mission variations and there wasn't anything to keep doing it - most other stuff to do also had better rewards attached to it.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User

Why would you want the old Exploration...they're universally generic and identical.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    There are plenty of decent Foundry missions; but they do not an exploration system make. Besides, no way Cryptic should be taking away a feature and then just telling us to sort ourselves out. Developing the game is their job; player generated content is just a nice little extra.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Really wish they'd do exploration missions, they could even do a building mission. Hell they could do a few missions like the show enterprise, where you have to blend in, learn about them, then do first contact if they pass requirements and they could probably write that easily.

Hell there is a bunch of things they could do that wouldn't require TOO much work. I'd like to see exploration come back.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Never
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,183 Community Moderator

Not entirely accurate. While there are some made just for grinding out kill accolades and some made just to make ECs, and some stinkers, there are some that are story driven. We used to have a Foundry Spotlight thing that would highlight the Foundry missions that were of excelent quality.

It kinda got abandonded when CaptainSmirk left, just like we lost our video news thing with Branflakes and CaptainKiki when Branflakes moved on.

The main issue now with Foundry missions is that generally no one pays attention unless you already know about it. The old Foundry Spotlight provided that. They may not be Legacy of Romulus/Delta Rising/New Dawn quality with voice acting, but they were well done. I remember running a Fed side one that dealt with the Fek'lhri. Someone even went through the trouble of closing an actual plot hole in the old Romulan arc caused by the mission, now thankfully eliminated, Divide et Impera. Even after Admiral Zelle was revealed to be an Undine, and players got to hold the Idiot Ball even with mounting evidence because Zelle said so, we go back to SB 39 and see... Admiral Zelle as if nothing happened. Someone actually closed that plot hole by making a foundry mission to go and capture her again that involved time travel.

So no. They aren't "universally bad". We just don't have the spotlight on the well done missions like we used to.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    papasezpapasez Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Buried under the snark the OP has some good points. When the exploration missions were removed so was my sense of being an actual Starfleet captain. It's not that I don't enjoy and applaud the efforts made to improve the game it's just that none of it has given me back that sense of being in the Trek universe.

I'll never understand the need to remove that system outright. Please consider adding some more sandbox type content. Not everyone likes being lead around by the nose or needs a carrot dangled in front of them to move forward.
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Exploration Reputation system anyone?
    When the entire galaxy is played out for storyline, maybe we'll see that sort of thing.
    There's still the Gamma quadrant and Dominion to deal with, somehow.
    It has to be something they can monetize...
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    So no. They aren't "universally bad". We just don't have the spotlight on the well done missions like we used to.

No but alternatively the high-quality missions just behind the spotlight group are easier to find now thanks to the sector top 3. You're not going to see the top most bestest mission of all time the moment it's released, but there's a better chance now that the second or third bestest mission of all time won't be totally forgotten because it doesn't fall on a particular list (it'll have its place somewhere around the galaxy).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    cryptic: "lets get some exploration going in the game".

Cryptic#2 "oh look, someone is on the forums demanding it again."

Cryptic" Well, in that case, push it back to 2020."
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Creating a randomly generating exploration system is a very tall order. They have made it clear they won't add anything to the game that is substandard in quality and I understand and agree.

Despite the pessimistic morons in this thread Cryptic is not just about making money anymore than a musician or artist. They must keep the lights on but that isn't the only reason for doing it, they truly enjoy their work.

The technology to make what people want in an exploration system doesn't really even exist.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    The truth is, STO never really had exploration. Regardless of what they called them, the star cluster missions were PATROLS, not exploration. So they can't give "back" something we never had in the first place.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The truth is, STO never really had exploration. Regardless of what they called them, the star cluster missions were PATROLS, not exploration. So they can't give "back" something we never had in the first place.

personally i think there is some confusion on what exploration means.

and I gotta ask how many of the people who keep asking for that terrible excuse for a system back. go into new FEs and just look around to see whats there. I'm betting few and I'm a TRIBBLE and an idiot for even suggesting such a thing.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »

Why would you want the old Exploration...they're universally generic and identical.

Better than the bad jokes every foundry author (bad amateur writers) thinks are actually stories.
  • Options
    capnmanx wrote: »
    There are plenty of decent Foundry missions.

No there isn't. I'm sorry that I have taste and you do not.

• Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    when are we getting exploration back? how about never

what are the chances of getting exploration back? about the same as a snowballs chance in hell

New Dawn when we went back to being explorers...via the admiralty system yur ships boldy go where cryptic wont let us
  • Options
    Not entirely accurate.

Totally accurate.
    While there are some made just for grinding out kill accolades and some made just to make ECs, and some stinkers, there are some that are story driven. We used to have a Foundry Spotlight thing that would highlight the Foundry missions that were of excelent quality.

I have ONLY ever played STORY foundry missions. I have ONLY ever played the ones that are featured on the front page as something special.

They. Sucked.

One of them is just downright misogynistic.
    It kinda got abandonded when CaptainSmirk left, just like we lost our video news thing with Branflakes and CaptainKiki when Branflakes moved on.

And we should all be happy about that too. Branflakes was the creepiest guy in the universe and Cpt Smirk was a yawn.
    The main issue now with Foundry missions is that generally no one pays attention unless you already know about it. The old Foundry Spotlight provided that. They may not be Legacy of Romulus/Delta Rising/New Dawn quality with voice acting, but they were well done. I remember running a Fed side one that dealt with the Fek'lhri. Someone even went through the trouble of closing an actual plot hole in the old Romulan arc caused by the mission, now thankfully eliminated, Divide et Impera. Even after Admiral Zelle was revealed to be an Undine, and players got to hold the Idiot Ball even with mounting evidence because Zelle said so, we go back to SB 39 and see... Admiral Zelle as if nothing happened. Someone actually closed that plot hole by making a foundry mission to go and capture her again that involved time travel.

No, I've played the majority of the ones you mentioned. I was unable to keep myself from laughing at how poorly written and realized they were.

Leave the writing to the professionals guys.

• Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »
    personally i think there is some confusion on what exploration means.

and I gotta ask how many of the people who keep asking for that terrible excuse for a system back. go into new FEs and just look around to see whats there. I'm betting few and I'm a TRIBBLE and an idiot for even suggesting such a thing.

For me the missions were never the point. Yes, they were rubbish, I put a lot of effort into trying to persude Cryptic to improve them; but what really mattered was the clusters themselves. You don't 'explore' by browsing through a list and picking what you want to do next: you explore by going out there and just seeing what you find. That is what seperated the clusters from all the other content in this game; and that is what made them exploration.