Install Arc
Options

New Star Trek TV series in the works from Alex Kurtzman

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nepotism may or may not have given Abrams a break in the beginning. However, his father isn't nearly influential enough to explain his entire career. I mean, Steve Miller's father was a fairly important figure in early rock music - but he sure wasn't the reason the Steve Miller Band sold so many albums...
    Exactly! Getting to work on a movie because your dad called in favors, quite common. But if the people actually in charge of the movie think you suck? They're not gonna be as easy to convince to give you another job.

For another music example: [Rebecca St. James

Her father was a concert organizer and he talked some friends into letting his daughter sing. If they hadn't liked it, then they wouldn't have kept doing it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lsapsinlsapsin Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Hey Everyone!

I have read up on this main story on cbs.com according to what I have read it will be run on cbs in US first run then pushed to online for everyone else be happy we are finally getting a new series!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    lsapsin wrote: »
    Hey Everyone!

I have read up on this main story on cbs.com according to what I have read it will be run on cbs in US first run then pushed to online for everyone else be happy we are finally getting a new series!

It's also worth noting that there is almost no chance that this won't get a DVD release at some point not too long after broadcast (because, well, money money give to CBS.)

If the format really bothers anyone I'm sure (as with every recent release of this type, see. the Halo mini-series) that alternatives won't be too far behind.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    The turnover rate is so high in Hollywood that anyone that his father had as a connection would not be in a position to help his son out. Anyone that has been in the business that long with no real credits has no clout...he's someone you give an office to on the far side of the backlot away from everyone else.
    Fair enough...
    Look I get it...you don't like the guy for 'ruining' Star Trek so now you'll cling to any negative idea about him....his father is the only reason why he's getting work...he probably made Mel Gibson go crazy....he probably was the basis of Wesley Crusher. You are clinging to rumor, hear-say and guesswork without the slightest bit of proof. It's irrational.
    'For ruining Star Trek'? TRIBBLE, I just don't like the guy... His involvement in Star Trek is entirely incidental to said dislike...

But don't worry, you keep cheering for the hack, I'm sure he appreciates the support :)

• Options
    Nepotism may or may not have given Abrams a break in the beginning. However, his father isn't nearly influential enough to explain his entire career. I mean, Steve Miller's father was a fairly important figure in early rock music - but he sure wasn't the reason the Steve Miller Band sold so many albums...
    No, that's explained by the nepotism and connections which he has generated himself, but still a case of 'you scratch my back' politicking... As mentioned upthread: First JJ says CBS weren't interested in doing another Star Trek series. Then he scores three cancelled series in the space of a year, and now CBS're interested in doing a series but not working with JJ. I don't believe in coincidences...
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Exactly! Getting to work on a movie because your dad called in favors, quite common. But if the people actually in charge of the movie think you suck? They're not gonna be as easy to convince to give you another job.

They are also probably less likely to green light sequels to your films if you suck and said films suck. So seeing as they have been willing to green light sequels to Abrams stuff....
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Hey Everyone!

It's also worth noting that there is almost no chance that this won't get a DVD release at some point not too long after broadcast (because, well, money money give to CBS.)

If the format really bothers anyone I'm sure (as with every recent release of this type, see. the Halo mini-series) that alternatives won't be too far behind.

Maybe but I haven't seen any online only series get a DVD release.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    The turnover rate is so high in Hollywood that anyone that his father had as a connection would not be in a position to help his son out. Anyone that has been in the business that long with no real credits has no clout...he's someone you give an office to on the far side of the backlot away from everyone else.
    Fair enough...
    Look I get it...you don't like the guy for 'ruining' Star Trek so now you'll cling to any negative idea about him....his father is the only reason why he's getting work...he probably made Mel Gibson go crazy....he probably was the basis of Wesley Crusher. You are clinging to rumor, hear-say and guesswork without the slightest bit of proof. It's irrational.
    'For ruining Star Trek'? TRIBBLE, I just don't like the guy... His involvement in Star Trek is entirely incidental to said dislike...

But don't worry, you keep cheering for the hack, I'm sure he appreciates the support :)

It clearly shows you dislike the guy since you are willing to whole heartedly believe every negative thing about him
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    It clearly shows you dislike the guy since you are willing to whole heartedly believe every negative thing about him
    For sure... JJ brought AIDS to America too, right? I just wanted to clarify that you weren't correct in saying I hated him because he 'ruined' Star Trek, I already had little to no respect for him and his projects*...

*with the exception of Taking Care of Business, which I actually really enjoyed...
  • Options
    No, that's explained by the nepotism and connections which he has generated himself, but still a case of 'you scratch my back' politicking... As mentioned upthread: First JJ says CBS weren't interested in doing another Star Trek series. Then he scores three cancelled series in the space of a year, and now CBS're interested in doing a series but not working with JJ. I don't believe in coincidences...

How does someone generate nepotism themselves?
    CBS wasn't interested in doing a series. Lot of other people can attest to that. Sure he has some failures. You did manage to forget Persn of Interest which is still running on CBS. Now CBS is working on a series and JJ isn't a part of it and you are drawing all sorts of conclusions...could it be that he's too busy to do a Star Trek TV show because he's dealing with Star Wars???? Maybe CBS saw it as a conflict of interests since he's still producing Star Trek Beyond? I look forward to hearing whatever conspiracy theory you have whipped up.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,408 Arc User
    I'm having a similar discussion with someone in another forum. He's convinced that Hollywood casting decisions are being driven by an agenda for social change - that, for instance, casting a black man to play Johnny Storm in the recent FF remake is supposed to "normalize" blended multiracial families.

And I say to you the same thing I say to him - Hollywood exists to make money. If something makes money, they'll ride that horse until it collapses; if it doesn't, you're a leper. Worse, in fact, because someone might buy the leper's story for a Lifetime movie or something. If Abrams' work didn't bring in the cash, it wouldn't matter if his daddy was CEO of Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer, he couldn't get hired to produce a dog food commercial. His career is testimony that somebody's paying money for his product. Whether you care for his product is immaterial - returning to the music analogy for a moment, I find better than 90% of modern pop boring as frak, but obviously the music's selling to someone out there, so my tastes don't matter and wouldn't even if I ran the record company. You employ the artists who sell, not just the ones you like, or you go out of business fast.

I assure you, whatever grim nepotistic conspiracies you might imagine drive things behind the scenes, they pale next to the power of the Almighty Dollar.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    I'm having a similar discussion with someone in another forum. He's convinced that Hollywood casting decisions are being driven by an agenda for social change - that, for instance, casting a black man to play Johnny Storm in the recent FF remake is supposed to "normalize" blended multiracial families.

And I say to you the same thing I say to him - Hollywood exists to make money. If something makes money, they'll ride that horse until it collapses; if it doesn't, you're a leper. Worse, in fact, because someone might buy the leper's story for a Lifetime movie or something. If Abrams' work didn't bring in the cash, it wouldn't matter if his daddy was CEO of Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer, he couldn't get hired to produce a dog food commercial. His career is testimony that somebody's paying money for his product. Whether you care for his product is immaterial - returning to the music analogy for a moment, I find better than 90% of modern pop boring as frak, but obviously the music's selling to someone out there, so my tastes don't matter and wouldn't even if I ran the record company. You employ the artists who sell, not just the ones you like, or you go out of business fast.

I assure you, whatever grim nepotistic conspiracies you might imagine drive things behind the scenes, they pale next to the power of the Almighty Dollar.

This so much. If you can make a studio money they'll let you do anything. Like it or not JJ Abrams' Star Trek movies made Paramount a lot of money. They are the highest grossing films of the series. It's why Michael Bay can continue to make Transformers films. No matter how much the critics hate them...they still rake in big bucks. Right now all estimates have The Force Awakens shattering box office records. JJ is going to be around for quite a while
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    How does someone generate nepotism themselves?
    CBS wasn't interested in doing a series. Lot of other people can attest to that. Sure he has some failures. You did manage to forget Persn of Interest which is still running on CBS. Now CBS is working on a series and JJ isn't a part of it and you are drawing all sorts of conclusions...could it be that he's too busy to do a Star Trek TV show because he's dealing with Star Wars???? Maybe CBS saw it as a conflict of interests since he's still producing Star Trek Beyond? I look forward to hearing whatever conspiracy theory you have whipped up.
    Sorry, I should have said 'cronyism'... Conspiracy theory? My friend and yours, Mel Gibson has already said that Jews run Hollywood... ;)

*sarcasm/satire, not any anti-semitism on my part...
  • Options

To be honest, this is a direction that marketing types are going in (probably to reflect the changing society that we live in and to market to a wider demographic than Mr and Mrs White and their 2.5 kids, rather than to instigate such a social change...) but you're absolutely right, it's all about the Benjamins...
  • Options
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options

"Heh heh... that's pretty funny..." - Geordi LaForge
  • Options
    Hey Everyone!

There's a first time for everything. :p Actually it's more likely to be available in a paid download, but hey, still a format available when not connected to internet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Hey Everyone!

There's a first time for everything. :p Actually it's more likely to be available in a paid download, but hey, still a format available when not connected to internet.

While you are correct...there is a first time for everything the purpose in having an online show exclusively on the CBS streaming service is to sub to the CBS streaming service. If you look at the Netflix/Marvel Daredevil series as an example...you can't buy the season on DVD. You can't buy it on iTunes or any other place. If you want to go see Daredevil you got to go to Netflix. If this plan of CBS' is going to work the only place to see Star Trek is CBS streaming. Putting it anywhere else will jeopardize their purpose of putting it online.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    Hey Everyone!

While you are correct...there is a first time for everything the purpose in having an online show exclusively on the CBS streaming service is to sub to the CBS streaming service. If you look at the Netflix/Marvel Daredevil series as an example...you can't buy the season on DVD. You can't buy it on iTunes or any other place. If you want to go see Daredevil you got to go to Netflix. If this plan of CBS' is going to work the only place to see Star Trek is CBS streaming. Putting it anywhere else will jeopardize their purpose of putting it online.
    Only if simultaneous. They didn't release TNG on DVD immediately, so the new series won't get immediate rerelease either.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Hey Everyone!

Only if simultaneous. They didn't release TNG on DVD immediately, so the new series won't get immediate rerelease either.

This is a completely different situation. TNG is not a new show on a subscription based streaming website.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    Hey Everyone!

This is a completely different situation. TNG is not a new show on a subscription based streaming website.
    My point was that it wasn't a new show when it was released on DVD.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Hey Everyone!

It is a different situation. No one had to pay for TNG. The new Star Trek series is going to be relying on the money it makes in subscriptions. If they are putting out a DVD...no one is going to subscribe. CBS plan is to use the new Star Trek series to draw people to their new streaming site. Putting out a DVD defeats this purpose.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    Hey Everyone!

It is a different situation. No one had to pay for TNG. The new Star Trek series is going to be relying on the money it makes in subscriptions. If they are putting out a DVD...no one is going to subscribe. CBS plan is to use the new Star Trek series to draw people to their new streaming site. Putting out a DVD defeats this purpose.
    Of course it's different, but that doesn't mean it will be different in every way. Also... marketing probably wouldn't even mention the possibility of it being released on DVD until a few years after it's initial run.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Actually the US House of Cards has been released on DVD.

• Options
    hartzilla wrote: »

• Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    Marvel's Netflix series (Agent Carter and Daredevil) are both going DVD. Granted it's a bit of a wait but I'm sure this new Trek will go the same way. Pah, you kids want everything now :smile:
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    staq16 wrote: »
    Marvel's Netflix series (Agent Carter and Daredevil) are both going DVD. Granted it's a bit of a wait but I'm sure this new Trek will go the same way. Pah, you kids want everything now :smile:

Agent Carter wasn't a Netflix series.
    It was on ABC (as will the second season be in Jan 2016)
    Jessica Jones will be on Netflix.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    staq16 wrote: »

Link please
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    hartzilla wrote: »

Yes it is I stand corrected
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Especially with Star Trek, I think an eventual DVD/BluRay release would be expected even if simply because they know Trekkies are a market hungry for collectors' items. There are many ways they could milk that cash cow with physical media.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.