Install Arc
Options

Exchange limit of 500m need to be increased to 1bil

12346»

Comments

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »
    Price fixing in sto requires defending a fix, and defending a fix is done by buying any ship below the price you want to fix. This becomes very expensive very fast, and the risk of catastrophic loss increases the more you do it, as well as the size of your loss.

Not true at all. Price "fixing" in STO can be achieved to a certain degree by setting a new "floor". The leech is a perfect example. A few weeks back the leech was around the 65m mark. Someone started buying up everything below 120m. The end result once things settled is the new "floor" of around 85m. Takes a couple weeks to set a new floor and now the market believes that is what the price should be despite the fact that we just had a lockbox replay and so the supply is going to increase. Nor that there are 100s of them sitting in the inventories of those that have multiple accounts, dozens of alts on those accounts and of course a bunch of their own private fleets for all the storage.

The leech has been about 85m for months.

I remember people giving Leetch's away when they were brand new.
    I was given one by my FA at the time.
    Later I bought 5 more for my alts, when I noticed the price had risen to 15mil.

To me that console is still the best thing in the game at the moment.
    Compare that 75-85 mil to Kemo 1 selling for 200 mil and you'll see that Leetch is still a great bargain even at 75-85 mil IMO.

I just wish I had stocked up when they were under 10mil.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    Price fixing in sto requires defending a fix, and defending a fix is done by buying any ship below the price you want to fix. This becomes very expensive very fast, and the risk of catastrophic loss increases the more you do it, as well as the size of your loss.

Not true at all. Price "fixing" in STO can be achieved to a certain degree by setting a new "floor". The leech is a perfect example. A few weeks back the leech was around the 65m mark. Someone started buying up everything below 120m. The end result once things settled is the new "floor" of around 85m. Takes a couple weeks to set a new floor and now the market believes that is what the price should be despite the fact that we just had a lockbox replay and so the supply is going to increase. Nor that there are 100s of them sitting in the inventories of those that have multiple accounts, dozens of alts on those accounts and of course a bunch of their own private fleets for all the storage.

I've only been playing for 5 months. Once I learned of the leech I started watching the price and it was around the 60m mark. I had it written down as 63m. Then I watched someone tried to drive the price up and 85m became the new floor. When I said a few weeks, I didn't mean in the last month. I meant that this occurred in just the last 2-3 months.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    gawainviii wrote: »
    Going back to OP... I think a better solution would be to replace the 500m Exchange-wide cap with a per-item mark-up limit. Nearly everything already has a "MSRP" attached to it (bottom-right corner of the item's mouse-over box). How about a limit of MSRP +/-100%? Even in open-market capitalistic societies (most of the developed western world), we have consumer protection laws that prevent price-gouging and unfair trades. It makes sense, to me, that a virtual economy might want to emulate the same type of things.

The number listed in the item description is like its scrap value, it's what you get for trashing/recycling it. It has no relation or connection to its value to people.
    I disagree... the number listed is Cryptic's idea of what the value was intended to be. It's "resale" value is between 25-60% of the listed price (depending on where you sell it). It's "scrap" value (what you get for recycling into the replicator) is between 0-40%.
    Who told you that?
    Nobody. My statement about Cryptic's intent was inferred through deductive reasoning. The "resale" and "scrap" statements, I figured out via trial and error.
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I actually think that even the opposite was explicitly stated in some tutorial window or mouseover, that the "worth" only determines sale price and similar but has nothing to do with the actual usefulness of said item. Can't check now though.
    I think you just tried to contradict what I said by restating exactly what I said. "Value determines sale price"... uhhh, YEAH! Furthermore, the NPC vendors, depending on who you're buying from, will sell at a cost between 75% of the listed value [aka MSRP] (from special vendors and cargo vessels) to 150% of the MSRP (from the Replicator). If you pay attention, you'll also notice, when in the shop's UI window, items are specifically identified by PRICE and VALUE separately. I stand by my earlier statement.

Just in case there are some who are unfamiliar with the term: MSRP means "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price".

Well, I'm sorry that you came to a bad conclusion. A better approach, logically, would be to begin by examining the usefulness or desirability or quality or effectiveness of various items, and then checking to see whether items of vastly different utility and scarcity have the same 'value' in the tooltip.

If they do have the same value, its probably wrong to assume the value in the tooltip has any bearing on the value of the thing to people.

And it becomes pretty clear that it represents more of a scrap value.

Its why something like an automobile is worth more money than all the metal used to make it would be worth if you scrapped it.

Not exactly rocket science is it.

I remember people giving Leetch's away when they were brand new.
    I was given one by my FA at the time.
    Later I bought 5 more for my alts, when I noticed the price had risen to 15mil.

To me that console is still the best thing in the game at the moment.
    Compare that 75-85 mil to Kemo 1 selling for 200 mil and you'll see that Leetch is still a great bargain even at 75-85 mil IMO.

I just wish I had stocked up when they were under 10mil.

I have exchange mail from summer of 2013 selling plas leeches for 1m each, and that was a good price to get for them back then.

It was a serious disgrace for feds to get free plas leeches for so long that way, 85m is a good start but they should cost significantly more in my view.

Ooooooo, bad analogy on the automobile part sir Druk, some vehicles are worth more as the sum of their parts, than worth as a whole, but not all!

After all, how do you think auto scrap yards remain in business?
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    1 billion? Might as well just remove all limits. I want to sell a tribble for 50 billion to some rich guy/girl who wants to make my day.
    Tza0PEl.png
This discussion has been closed.