test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exchange limit of 500m need to be increased to 1bil

daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
I seen quite a few very bad trades with high expensive ships due to the fact buyers ware confused with a ship "normal" price. Not all people play enough to know what is the "normal" rate of a jhss, sheshar, anorrax or vonph.
Due to the fact that exchange limit is set to 500 many people try to take advantage and offer inflated prices like 1bil for a vonph. I don't see any logical reason for this not to happen.

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, indeed. Without the transparency of the open market there is too great a temptation to overprice these special ships.

Don't give me any hooey about free market. The free market is where competition plays a role based on supply and demand.

The Vonph and Annorax are the first of these special ships that never made it out into the Exchange. And what I mean there is where the ships are listed and stay there for more than a few microseconds as the Robber Barons scoop them up for a non-value added resale.

Even the JHSS, JHAS, and Sheshar eventually settled back into the Exchange after going into the 'gray' economy beyond the first few weeks.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • vinnyc1985vinnyc1985 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Yeah and chat zones are being bombarded with WTB & WTS too
  • watsterwatster Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Best to keep it at 500M. The sellers will be forced to sell it at 500m after they will get tired of spamming and holding on to extra special lockbox ships. Small profit is mostly better than letting your money sleep in the bank and not earning.
  • daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    watster wrote: »
    Best to keep it at 500M. The sellers will be forced to sell it at 500m after they will get tired of spamming and holding on to extra special lockbox ships. Small profit is mostly better than letting your money sleep in the bank and not earning.

No mate they would not be forced, its one thing to hope they will and one thing to know they actually do it. In exchange there is a price competition that will make the price fall little by little. Also do you think one will risk 300-500m for a high prize to make only a small profit ? if you know the trading channels and even esd zone chat you will know this are exceptions.
    Increasing the exchange cap will not drive all prices high, it will drove insane prices lower and limit the scams out there.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    I see a problem here, as the limit for EC you can hold on any one character is capped at a maximum of 1 billion, if the exchange limit of 500m was increased to 1bn a seller would need for his character selling an item for 1bn would have to have absolutely zero EC or risk loosing what he has before the sale was made.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• arachnaasarachnaas Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    How about no. I would like to keep ships out of the grey trade, but I also know that if you put the limit at a billion, we will see stuff at a billion. Would be better to just set a limit as to how much a character can carry. Like 500 million. Then nothing can ever be more expensive as on the Exchange unless people want to trust a person going from one character to the next to get the full amount.

The Exchange is put in place to prevent trade scamming, the fact we have ships priced so that they can never be in the official trade is absurd.
    edited October 2015
    arachnaas wrote: »
    How about no. I would like to keep ships out of the grey trade, but I also know that if you put the limit at a billion, we will see stuff at a billion. Would be better to just set a limit as to how much a character can carry. Like 500 million. Then nothing can ever be more expensive as on the Exchange unless people want to trust a person going from one character to the next to get the full amount.

The Exchange is put in place to prevent trade scamming, the fact we have ships priced so that they can never be in the official trade is absurd.

Mate you are mixing the problems. Ship prices are are generated by supply and demand and also by the amount of ec one need to risk to have a good chance at getting it. Also its in direct connection with the Game Economy.
    My proposal involves increasing the exchange cap so that every player can find what is looking for at a non inflated price. You say that exchange should remain like that instead the economy should be somehow modified ( that's not gonna happen for a butload of reasons) or sellers should be censured and put to risk. After DR some prices became inflated because sellers stopped generating merchandise at usual rate (some stopped playing). Sellers are NOT the problem here without them there will be things in short supply or not to be found. Your no its a NO generated by hate ( of high prices) and not by knowing how the game economy and trade actually works. What you say will increase number of scams also.
    edited October 2015

People would just trade keys or whatever for stuff.

Prices aren't set by arbitrary limits, they are set by the facts of supply and demand.

If you want a ship to be cheaper, nerf it so fewer people want it, or raise the odds of pulling it from a box so the supply is higher.

You can only change the price by changing the facts about supply and demand.

You are forgetting a Key element. The demand for these ships isn't any higher than the bug ships were in the past. We all looked at 500 mil as being a ridiculous amount then. The issue is tied to the fact that keys are selling for 4 million a piece. So 500 million is less of an investment in real money than previously. if keys sold around 2 to 2.5 mil as they did in the past, we would not see these kinds of prices on ships because very few people would have the funds to purchase them.
    edited October 2015
    correct me if I am wrong but the way I read your post it seems to me you are saying you are unhappy with the inflated prices of 1bn for certain items that are being sold of off the exchange and seem to be under the illusion that by increasing the exchange limit of 500m to 1bn will somehow remedy this by making players sell items on the exchange for a lower price even though they can easily sell items now for the price of 1bn on the exchange rather then off of it or both if that's what they desire.

sorry but I don't get it.

at the end of the day its up to the buyers to buy or not buy items if they feel the price is too high, if the sellers want to sell their items for 1bn even though nobody will ever pay that price they are free to do so but while buyers keep buying for that price sellers will keep selling for it and things will never change no matter where the items are sold.

• mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User

People would just trade keys or whatever for stuff.

Prices aren't set by arbitrary limits, they are set by the facts of supply and demand.

If you want a ship to be cheaper, nerf it so fewer people want it, or raise the odds of pulling it from a box so the supply is higher.

You can only change the price by changing the facts about supply and demand.

You are forgetting a Key element. The demand for these ships isn't any higher than the bug ships were in the past. We all looked at 500 mil as being a ridiculous amount then. The issue is tied to the fact that keys are selling for 4 million a piece. So 500 million is less of an investment in real money than previously. if keys sold around 2 to 2.5 mil as they did in the past, we would not see these kinds of prices on ships because very few people would have the funds to purchase them.

Well said. There isnt any supply and demand for quite some time. In fact this is why all these greedy ferengi wannabes want the exchange to be over 500m. They control the key market and artificially drove the keys to insane prices (if you look at how much contraband is priced, and how much keys are after they make the conversion via large farms: contraband-dil-zen-keys you will get an idea about how much profit these ppl do) and now they want to do that with ships aswell to increase their profits even higher. In fact, if the exchange will be raised to 1b, they will raise the prices over 1b too shortly. Cryptic really should put an exchange posting fee to reduce ec inflation by actually deleting ec in big amounts.

Your idea with a 500m character limit is very good too since ppl will more then likely still use ec and the exchange and wont risk a trade between items where scams are very possible. But I dont think Cryptic will do that.
    correct me if I am wrong but the way I read your post it seems to me you are saying you are unhappy with the inflated prices of 1bn for certain items that are being sold of off the exchange and seem to be under the illusion that by increasing the exchange limit of 500m to 1bn will somehow remedy this by making players sell items on the exchange for a lower price even though they can easily sell items now for the price of 1bn on the exchange rather then off of it or both if that's what they desire.

at the end of the day its up to the buyers to buy or not buy items if they feel the price is too high, if the sellers want to sell their items for 1bn even though nobody will ever pay that price they are free to do so but while buyers keep buying for that price sellers will keep selling for it and things will never change no matter where the items are sold.

I bought one in the first day for 700m. Planning to get one more as i don't open boxes ( don't like gambling). I am not unhappy of high princes as long as they are justified but scams i don't like.

Mate i am not under any illusion i know, its a fact. There is normal price for ships depending whats the medium nr of trys to get that ship and the cost involved. People add a profit from reasonable to high and post the ship for sale. Thats normal practice.But limiting this to face to face trade will make people easy to be scammed like i seen and like one of my fleet mates payed more as he was under the impression that's the normal price. You seem unhappy with the fact that i want to let people post ships on exchange were prices are regulated/normalized faster by supply and demand and were scammers and opportunists are having a harder live. I am the one that don't get it, its not only about informed buyers but also about uninformed ones.I don't see any problem with that unless you have too much money to care or you ask 1bil for a vonph in chat so people think its the normal price.

To be clear Exchange is there for trade and to solve many of the problems i said, the only reason some ships are not on exchange now its the fact the game economy changed.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    To be clear Exchange is there for trade and to solve many of the problems i said, the only reason some ships are not on exchange now its the fact the game economy changed.

The game economy hasn't changed significantly. What we're seeing is normal inflation, caused by the fact that more EC is being generated than sinked. The game has too little EC sinks.

It is a big problem, because high value items have already gone through the exchange price cap and are fast approaching the EC storage cap. Unless something is done, EC will stop being a useful currency because the items' fair market value exceeds the 1 billion you can pay even in trade.
    edited October 2015
    warpangel wrote: »

The game economy hasn't changed significantly. What we're seeing is normal inflation, caused by the fact that more EC is being generated than sinked. The game has too little EC sinks.

It is a big problem, because high value items have already gone through the exchange price cap and are fast approaching the EC storage cap. Unless something is done, EC will stop being a useful currency because the items' fair market value exceeds the 1 billion you can pay even in trade.

Inflation is part of the economy and also part of the problem; but i stand by my say that game economy has changed enough last years to see the request to increase exchange cap as a reasonable (temporary) solution to gray/unregulated direct trading market problem/inconvenience. This is how i see it, if the devs can somehow solve the more profound problem its fine also but this is a quality of life fix imo.
    edited October 2015

I bought one in the first day for 700m. Planning to get one more as i don't open boxes ( don't like gambling). I am not unhappy of high princes as long as they are justified but scams i don't like.

Mate i am not under any illusion i know, its a fact. There is normal price for ships depending whats the medium nr of trys to get that ship and the cost involved. People add a profit from reasonable to high and post the ship for sale. Thats normal practice.But limiting this to face to face trade will make people easy to be scammed like i seen and like one of my fleet mates payed more as he was under the impression that's the normal price. You seem unhappy with the fact that i want to let people post ships on exchange were prices are regulated/normalized faster by supply and demand and were scammers and opportunists are having a harder live. I am the one that don't get it, its not only about informed buyers but also about uninformed ones.I don't see any problem with that unless you have too much money to care or you ask 1bil for a vonph in chat so people think its the normal price.

the point I am trying to make is if sellers want to sell an item for 1bn regardless of if that price is over inflated or not they will do it on the exchange if the limit is raised or off if it isn't, and if buyers are willing to pay that price they will do so on the exchange if the limit is raised or off if it isn't.

raising the limit will only have the effect of shifting these inflated prices from the chat to the exchange nothing else will change.
    you might see many ships on the exchange for sale at 1bn and then 1 day you might get lucky and see it for 700m and buy it but that wont bring the prices down, that is just a 1 off like the one you got before and all the others will stay at 1bn.

there are 1000s of items on the exchange even now with overinflated prices even with the 500m limit, raising the limit would only make it worse.

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    People already try to charge absurd amounts of ec for various items. If you increase the cap to 1b yes you're going to see items in excess of 500m on the exchange, but at the same time you're going to give people a way to see what other people are selling for. If for example one guy is selling an Anorax for 700m, his competition comes in and undercuts him to 650m, then the next guy goes to 640m, then 635m, 630m, 629m and so on. Now you have 6 different price options for the buyer who is then able to pick the best one for him/her. No on it's own increasing the exchange cap may not drive prices down to reasonable levels and prevent overpaying for things, but it will force honesty into the equation on the exchange. Using our Anorax as an example again, if the ship is going for 700m as a normal price, Johnny 2x4 can't waltz up and demand 750m for the ship when it's going for 700m on the exchange. Johnny would get flamed like crazy and people would know he's trying to rip folks off. However if you keep them off the exchange, you have average Joe Shmoe looking to buy one, yet doesn't know that 700m is the normal price. Johnny 2x4 then slithers up to Joe Shmoe, and takes Joe for a 50m ec ride.

Yes you can say free market and Joe should have done his research, but exactly how is Joe supposed to do that with nothing to compare Johnny's price to?

I personally find it very greedy that people are asking darn near the currency cap for certain ships and as such TRIBBLE the average player out of getting to fly ship. I also feel the current state of affairs puts far too much power in the hands of a few individuals to artificially inflate the markets and gives them too much power over the markets overall. There are people who will disagree with that and that's their prerogative. However overall we may as well increase the 500m cap to keep pace with the 1b storage cap.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    edited October 2015
    This is an annoying, but not truly pressing issue I think. It's true that the Annorax never fell to the point of being within exchange prices, but I think this was more due to the current inflation, limited time frame on when they were available, and then popularity of the ship. The Vonph has the unfortunate issue of inflation plus riding on the heels of the Annorax in terms of pricing. People figured out that there was a market for ships of that expense so now that is where the starting price of ships will be. Come mid November when the supply of the Vonph is still possible (Not that as many boxes will be being opened) we can get a better look at the long term pricing.

edited October 2015

the point I am trying to make is if sellers want to sell an item for 1bn regardless of if that price is over inflated or not they will do it on the exchange if the limit is raised or off if it isn't, and if buyers are willing to pay that price they will do so on the exchange if the limit is raised or off if it isn't.

raising the limit will only have the effect of shifting these inflated prices from the chat to the exchange nothing else will change.
    you might see many ships on the exchange for sale at 1bn and then 1 day you might get lucky and see it for 700m and buy it but that wont bring the prices down, that is just a 1 off like the one you got before and all the others will stay at 1bn.

there are 1000s of items on the exchange even now with overinflated prices even with the 500m limit, raising the limit would only make it worse.

Not true. The exchange allows for persistant listings, so at any given time of day, the exchange increases the supply of a given item available on the market.

Say 5 guys have Vonphs, but at most only 3 of them are ever online at the same time.

This means that the maximum supply of vonphs on the market is 3 or less, at any given time, even though there is a total supply of 5.

Being able to post persistant WTS offers on the exchange allows the full supply to be available. It also allows granular price competition.

One guy posts for 800m, the next guy posts for 795. Next guy for 790, and so on. End result is a buyer pays less.

The exchange cap unequivocally hurts buyers and helps sellers.

I see your point but the opposite could be true like the player that sold you the ship for 700m, he might see that the others are selling for 1bn and list his ship for 999,999,999ec so you could have ended up paying much more.
    he has still undercut the other sellers but not enough to make the prices fall dramatically and the chances of a one off bargain could end up being lost.
    plus he has more chances of selling for this price as the ship will stay on sale for a week even when he is not in game.

and the problem is if an item is rare the likelihood of massive falls in prices is reduced due to the small amount for sale.

edited October 2015

I understand what you say but i disagree. If you had enough experience in trades/prices and read what me and @repetitiveepic said, you would recognize the truth in our explanations.
    I think you and others let fear of increased prices get the best of you on this matter. I don't deny there is a small change that prices might slightly increase but that ONLY in a very very long time and that will happen anyway. How long did it take for 500m to stop being enough ? now consider the same amount of time for 1bil ...lol the game might be dead by then.
    Trying to stop fixing several problems for fear that something might happen and without a way of actually calculate it ... its wrong imo.

Like i said i still think my suggestion is good and i can say even a 750m cap increase can be enough for now. Its only nattural for the game exchange to keep in pace with game economy. A Ferrari is very expensive but one don't need to go personally to the factory to buy it. Free trade instead of gray markets is what i think is best for the game.
    edited October 2015

Not true. The exchange allows for persistant listings, so at any given time of day, the exchange increases the supply of a given item available on the market.

Say 5 guys have Vonphs, but at most only 3 of them are ever online at the same time.

This means that the maximum supply of vonphs on the market is 3 or less, at any given time, even though there is a total supply of 5.

Being able to post persistant WTS offers on the exchange allows the full supply to be available. It also allows granular price competition.

One guy posts for 800m, the next guy posts for 795. Next guy for 790, and so on. End result is a buyer pays less.

The exchange cap unequivocally hurts buyers and helps sellers.

I see your point but the opposite could be true like the player that sold you the ship for 700m, he might see that the others are selling for 1bn and list his ship for 999,999,999ec so you could have ended up paying much more.
    he has still undercut the other sellers but not enough to make the prices fall dramatically and the chances of a one off bargain could end up being lost.
    plus he has more chances of selling for this price as the ship will stay on sale for a week even when he is not in game.

and the problem is if an item is rare the likelihood of massive falls in prices is reduced due to the small amount for sale.

No mate the opposite is not true as a general rule, if you would know the exchange well enough you would know that this are exceptions not general facts. This don't work were is a constant supply (not to mention hot&new stuff) or were there suppliers know what they are doing (there are many that know the real value of items). Again you don't know the game economy and trade/exchange well enough.
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    I agree with this proposal.

In the current era of EC inflation (driven not by greed, but by a lack of effective EC sinks, plus rising Zen/dil rate) there is simply too much EC sloshing about the game.

Either give us an effective EC sink that will remove billions/trillions of EC from the game, or remove this artificial price cap which is hampering the effectiveness of the player market by disguising prices above 500m, creating uncertainty on part of bother buyers and sellers.

yjkZSeM.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Well I don't find this amusing at all. This thread, like most discussions of economics in MMO forums, is so full of stupid it hurts to read it.

The limit is stupid and serves no useful purpose. It does NOT protect sellers from losing EC due to overflow. It does not change the fair market value of items either way (though it does make it harder for people to keep track of the fair market value of items that exceed it).

People posting items on the ex for absurdly high prices is not a problem. It simply means nobody will buy them.

Nothing will ever "force" players to sell high-value items cheaper. If they can't post it on the exchange for fair market value, they'll trade it directly. And that's not enough either, they will barter with items like keys instead.

The EC cap, the exchange limit, or any such arbitrary restrictions do not reduce inflation. Inflation happens because more EC is entering the economy than leaving it. Only ways to reduce inflation is to reduce EC produced or increase ways to sink it.
    edited October 2015
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    I find this amusing.

Originally the exchange had a 1b cap, I seen JHAS listed at 999m ... what changed?

Well the fact of how the Exchange works, you can only hold 1b so what happens when you sell something on the Exchange? The EC is automatic added at sale and since its limited to 1b, all overflow is lost ... sell 1 at 999m and have 100m and you essentially lose 99m.

This is why the limit to 500m was added unless people here are going to argue further changes to the way the Exchange works such as mailing the EC (that would create a lot of issues) or raising the EC cap that would lead to further inflation.

Of course looking at some names here its no wonder some want for the limit to be raised, never mind the negative impact to the game economy and even to them because they would be the first to cry about losing EC due to the cap limit.

First of all i don't thing many people have lots of 999m things to sell and even if they do the solution is simple just move the high value item on a toon with no EC, i did this several times and it does the trick. This high value trades are again not that many and frequent to cause trouble for the seller. Changing the toon is the simple and most easy solution.
    As an 2nd solution player cap can also be increased by 500m. But let me say this if a guy will let his money to be wasted by what you said it would happen anyway at one point. Any rich player knows how to deal with this you can be sure.

Also you talk about economy impact as if will immediately nuke the game. Like i said how long did it took for the 500m to not be enough ? and whatever if you like it or not prices will increase in the future and no matter the exchange cap imo.
    I think we will be stuck with a complaint catch 22. If the limit gets raised to 1 billion people will complain about lost ec when they mess up. If you add more money sinks, we will have people in here complaining about losing money to those. The fact of the matter is that at this point no solution stops people from complaining.

I would like to make sure that all trades go through the official system to prevent scamming. I'm not 100% sure that raising the cap is going to do much more than make people think it is ok to price new ships at a billion.

Money sinks like making rep dailies more expensive would drain some, but I'm sure I am not the only person that has maxed them all. At that point, you don't really ever lose money.
This discussion has been closed.